Israel and the Slaughter in Gaza

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And it is perfectly fair and correct for the US to counsel others to avoid committing war crimes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/12/world/europe/israel-gaza-and-the-laws-of-war.html

Anyone who has spent much time on social media recently will have seen people conflate the justness of the conflict itself with the justness of the way it is being conducted. Some have appeared to excuse the killing of Israeli civilians on the basis that Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territories is wrong, while others appeared to dismiss the killing of Palestinian civilians in airstrikes on the grounds that Israel is right to defend itself from attack.

LOL.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

The easiest moral place to stand is in the middle.

Standing in the middle is comforting. It grants you the illusion that you are being evenhanded, that you see nuance and complexity where others see black and white. It is flattering to be in the middle — no one hates your viewpoint enough to make you their opponent,

and yet you get to stand apart from everyone, tut-tutting both sides.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Justice said:

Yeah and Iraq had WMDs and Israel wasn’t warned about the oncoming attacks. Wink wink. 

World history is full of incidents like the gulf of Tonkin or yellow cake in Iraq being used as a narrative for war.

I just believe Occam's razor covers a conspiracy as large as you are referencing.  to many pieces at play.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Damn. wasn't expecting "truthers" or "it was an inside job" narrative to hit this thread. 

They will always find you.

They will never provide any reasonable evidence, but they are everywhere.

I'm in the process of waiting while my hvac system gets is seasonal service, so I'll relay kind of an interesting story about those helicopters in the failed rescue attempt.

They were from a Norfolk, VA squadron, which deploys on sixth fleet, (Atlantic and Med) area.

They were at a Monday morning normal squadron "quarters" in Norfolk where the entire squadron assembles in their hangar.

At quarters, most, not all, were told to go home and pack for a few weeks. No details were given, but they were told to assemble at 1pm and be prepared to deploy.

They all show up and board Air Force transports, who would not tell them where they were headed.

During that day, their helicopters were disassembled and mounted on C-5's.

They start their journey, and refuled in Anchorage. Again they ask where they were headed and told we can't say, but this isn't it.

Eventually they land in Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean and are told this was the place.

Helicopters arrive and are reassembled in a secure hangar under extreme security.

Kitty Hawk ditches the Soviets and heads south instead of north towards the northern IO, which we were told we were headed and prepare for stuff in Iran.

Anyway, one morning, I get up and head down to the squadron ready room to read the overnight message traffic and then go to breakfast.

My route was to go down a few levels and cross over to the other side of the ship on the hangar bay.

I get to the hangar bay and there are four of these helicopters on the hangar bay, all ID marks painted over and sailors were bolting machine guns to the fuselage near the doors. I asked one guy what they were doing, and he said he didn't know, but they were told to mount them.

I read the message traffic and head to the wardroom for breakfast.

Carriers have two wardrooms for officers. One allows flight suites and the other doesn't, so we always went to the "airdale" wardroom.

There are about six guys in flight suits with helicopter squadron patches on at a table that I didn't recognize, so I ask them who they were.

They then relay to me their story of having no idea what was going on until they tested their helos the day prior and flew them aboard Kitty Hawk in pure darkness.

Thankfully, none of these guys were involved in what ended up being the disaster at Desert One, but their helos did.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

He's done plenty besides ending wars.  On the day he was inaugurated one of his many Presidential Proclamations was to send more troops to Somalia.

But it's not as much as what he's done as President as much as I don't trust his judgement on these things.  He was as a major driver towards getting us into the Iraq War.  As chairmen of the Foreign Relations Committee he ran the hearings and refused to let anyone against the war testify.  Of course he voted for it and  continuing resolutions.

We'll see what happens. I hope you are right.

I realize that Joe Biden was a major driver in the Iraq war, especially since that was my war

All I can say to that is it looks like Joe has turned a corner in that area as he has gotten older. He was the one that pulled us out of Afghanistan. Well no president before him did that.

4 hours ago, Irv said:

Demented Biden and his buddies have ***** up so many things, an Iran invasion is their Hail Mary for the 2024 elections.  They also initiated the Hamas attack to draw attention away from the multitude of screw up's they've caused.  In the end, I'm OK with attacking Iran as long as nukes are used.  No need to waste time and money on a traditional war.  Gett'er done!  

United States did the Hamas attack?

Oh boy

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I realize that Joe Biden was a major driver in the Iraq war, especially since that was my war

All I can say to that is it looks like Joe has turned a corner in that area as he has gotten older. He was the one that pulled us out of Afghanistan. Well no president before him did that.

And left billions of dollars in weapons behind. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Justice said:

And left billions of dollars in weapons behind. 

Did you want them out or not?

By the way, the billions of dollars thing that’s bull#### you have to take in depreciation value in the account

You can blame our intelligence for that nobody knew that Afghanistan forces were going to crumble so quickly

Edited by John from Riverside

17 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So it is what I thought, a Jews run the world post. Just come right out and say it if that's what you believe.

I didn’t say that. I didn’t say anyone lol. Tf is wrong with you. I said they… them… the ones that tell us what they want to tell us… all of them… the media, the US government… them. Good grief. 

32 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Did you want them out or not?

By the way, the billions of dollars thing that’s bull#### you have to take in depreciation value in the account

You can blame our intelligence for that nobody knew that Afghanistan forces were going to crumble so quickly

‘… they’ll be used on you’.- Biden 

Edited by Justice

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Nope didn't dream that.

Nope.

I didn't say you did.

you equated it to the Pentagon NOW saying that we have to set up our air defenses  (in my post)

I corrected your comparison.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

maybe if they were focused on actual intelligence vs propaganda letters about Bidens laptop.

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Nope.

I didn't say you did.

you equated it to the Pentagon NOW saying that we have to set up our air defenses  (in my post)

I corrected your comparison.

I thought the delay was about missile defense systems in our bases in the region.