Israel and the Slaughter in Gaza

Joe Biden Is Trying To Get Israel To Delay Its Invasion Of Gaza. That’s A Mistake

By Michael Rubin

The Biden administration reportedly seeks to delay Israel’s ground offensive in the Gaza Strip in order to provide more time to win the release of hostage through negotiation. This is exactly the wrong move to make, and President Biden and his Middle East team have no moral authority to make it

.https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/10/joe-biden-is-trying-to-get-israel-to-delay-its-invasion-of-gaza-thats-a-mistake/

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Controversial? Yes. But here's what I really think is going on:

1. Gaza has been problematic for Israel for a long time. They were happy to sort of wash their hands of it back in 2006. Egypt doesn't want anything to do with it either. The whole concept of the "refugee camps" in Gaza is absurd. Nowhere else in the world do we have this concept of multi-generational refugees. Palestinians were forcibly relocated to Gaza when the Arab states attacked Israel shortly after its formation. The children, and children's children, and children's children's children of these refugees continue to reside there with some vague notion that they will be resettled somewhere (they think Israel, where they came from) at some time in the future. Many have left by immigrating to other places (hence the Palestinians in the US), but no Arab country has invited them to resettle in large numbers for what is now 75 years. In other words, they were not going anywhere.

2. Until now, that is. Israel already has forcibly evacuated half of Gaza. And they are systematically bombing both the north and the south. This is ostensibly to root out Hamas targets, but the bombing is so widespread that I find it difficult to believe that they have good Intel that Hamas terrorists or command/control are located in every bombed location.

3. Therefore, I think Israel's true purpose is to force - finally, after 75 years - a relocation of people out of Gaza. Face facts: those who have left the north have nowhere to return to. Their homes and infrastructure are destroyed. And I have to assume that sooner or later the same will happen in the South. Israel is forcing a mass relocation of people out of Gaza. Again, ostensibly they are trying to root out/kill Hamas terrorists, but I think that involves neutralizing the threat from Gaza entirely by essentially depopulating it. Gaza has been an impediment to any two-state solution. Look at the two-state maps that have been proposed: there is no good way to connect up Gaza to the West Bank while preserving Israel's territorial integrity and security. Israel is sick and tired of having to deal with Gaza. This provides the opportunity to make it go away.

4. The endgame: I have no idea. I don't know if Israel has an idea. Having created a new displaced persons crisis, I posit that Israel is hoping that other countries (particularly Arab countries) will resettled Gazans. No doubt western countries will do so too as the humanitarian crisis becomes more and more obvious. I don't know what they think the official status of Gaza will be after this is all done. Israel probably has no interest in annexing it and taking the blowback from the US and world community. So perhaps occupying it again even though they don't want to. Maybe some Gazans will resettle in the West Bank. Israel (not Netanyahu, but most Israelis) can live with a Palestinian state in the West Bank once the Gaza "problem" is gone.

I know I am being deliberately neutral about whether these things are warranted or even in violation of international law. I am just suggesting that there is more here than simply neutralizing Hamas in Gaza and allowing Gaza to continue to exist in something like its current status.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

https://x.com/dizalifornia/status/1715940058036138454?s=46

“Are you really that stupid?”

55 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Joe Biden Is Trying To Get Israel To Delay Its Invasion Of Gaza. That’s A Mistake

By Michael Rubin

The Biden administration reportedly seeks to delay Israel’s ground offensive in the Gaza Strip in order to provide more time to win the release of hostage through negotiation. This is exactly the wrong move to make, and President Biden and his Middle East team have no moral authority to make it

.https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/10/joe-biden-is-trying-to-get-israel-to-delay-its-invasion-of-gaza-thats-a-mistake/

Well maybe he’s just trying to prevent this conflict from widening. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

4. The endgame: I have no idea. I don't know if Israel has an idea. Having created a new displaced persons crisis, I posit that Israel is hoping that other countries (particularly Arab countries) will resettled Gazans. 

Here's a list of countries that have expelled Palestinians since the creation of Israel.

Iraq

Saudi Arabia

Libya

Jordan

Lebanon

Kuwait

In perhaps the largest displacement, (from over 400,000 to less than 20,000),  Kuwait did so in 1991 following the US' and coalition forces forced the Iraqis out following their invasion of Kuwait.

They did so because Arafat's PLO endorsed the Iraqi invasion.

Looking at that list, and the undeniable history, I hold very little hope that Arab nations will resettle them in their lands.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Justice said:

https://x.com/dizalifornia/status/1715940058036138454?s=46

“Are you really that stupid?”

If that's directed at me, well, no, I'm not that stupid. I don't believe that Israel was somehow behind terrorists raids that slaughtered hundreds of its citizens and took a couple hundred hostage.

What I'm suggesting is that the Hamas raids have convinced Netanyahu that there is no such thing as peaceful coexistence with Gaza as it was before October 6, and that he is engaging in a scorched earth policy that will essentially eliminate Gaza as it was before October 6.

There is no need for a conspiracy theory to explain the events of this month.

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

If that's directed at me, well, no, I'm not that stupid. I don't believe that Israel was somehow behind terrorists raids that slaughtered hundreds of its citizens and took a couple hundred hostage.

What I'm suggesting is that the Hamas raids have convinced Netanyahu that there is no such thing as peaceful coexistence with Gaza as it was before October 6, and that he is engaging in a scorched earth policy that will essentially eliminate Gaza as it was before October 6.

There is no need for a conspiracy theory to explain the events of this month.

No man. It’s not directed towards you. It was a quote from the tweet. I should’ve specified. 

15 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

So ethnic cleansing is what Israel is doing 

I wouldn't say that. "Ethnic cleansing" is a term that came out of the Balkan conflict, stemming from the idea that Serbia was attempting to eliminate its Muslim/Kosovar population. In other words, a country with a multi-ethnic population, trying to rid itself of one ethno-religious group. Gaza is, as I understand it, basically mono-cultural, so the idea of ethnic cleansing wouldn't apply.

That's not to say that I think that what Israel is doing is just fine and dandy. There are good arguments that its certainly not. There is also a good arguments that Gaza is a semi-autonomous region governed by Hamas, a group that sent its fighters into Israel to kill and abduct civilians. In other words, it is, in fact, a country that started a war with its neighbor.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I wouldn't say that. "Ethnic cleansing" is a term that came out of the Balkan conflict, stemming from the idea that Serbia was attempting to eliminate its Muslim/Kosovar population. In other words, a country with a multi-ethnic population, trying to rid itself of one ethno-religious group. Gaza is, as I understand it, basically mono-cultural, so the idea of ethnic cleansing wouldn't apply.

That's not to say that I think that what Israel is doing is just fine and dandy. There are good arguments that its certainly not. There is also a good arguments that Gaza is a semi-autonomous region governed by Hamas, a group that sent its fighters into Israel to kill and abduct civilians. In other words, it is, in fact, a country that started a war with its neighbor.

If that did actually kick the Palestinians out of Gaza, I think that would be considered ethnic cleansing. But toMAto / TOmato, or something like that  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

If that did actually kick the Palestinians out of Gaza, I think that would be considered ethnic cleansing. But toMAto / TOmato, or something like that  

I'd agree if Israel's intention is to occupy Gaza AND "resettle" it with Jews, I'd agree with you. But I can't imagine (or at least I don't want to even consider) that that's the plan.

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'd agree if Israel's intention is to occupy Gaza AND "resettle" it with Jews, I'd agree with you. But I can't imagine (or at least I don't want to even consider) that that's the plan.

Oh, if its a buffer zone or something...that would be crazy. Prime real estate by the sea 

Amusement park? 

19 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I wouldn't say that. "Ethnic cleansing" ......

It is particularly curious that he would suggest that the Israelis are engaged in "ethnic cleansing," since the Hamas Charter specifically calls for that regarding the Jews, who they also blame for WWI and WWII, as well as the Russian and French Revolutions.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I've been trying to come up with a similar situation for the US. In other words "Gaza is to Israel as [blank] is the the USA."

The closest I can come up with: some of us remember (vaguely) the radical American Indian movement of the 1970s. Imagine if a radical faction committed to ejecting all people of European (and I suppose Asian/African too) ancestry from the United States had taken over the Navajo nation, and that some US adversary (the USSR) had taken to sending them arms. And imagine that this radical group didn't just run the Navajo tribal government; it also had an armed faction that carried out attacks against civilians in Arizona/Utah/Colorado/New Mexico, and that one of these attacks involved killing hundreds of civilians and taking a couple hundred hostage in the territory of the Navajo Nation.

Q. What actions would the United States be justified in taking in response? What action would not be justified?

18 minutes ago, sherpa said:

It is particularly curious that he would suggest that the Israelis are engaged in "ethnic cleansing," since the Hamas Charter specifically calls for that regarding the Jews, who they also blame for WWI and WWII, as well as the Russian and French Revolutions.

Dems don't even know what/who they are supporting anymore.

19 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Not really, Hamas obviously wants ethnic cleansing, too. 

Does Israel really want to have the same goal as Hamas? 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Dems don't even know what/who they are supporting anymore.

Ya, what's next, they won't be able to choose a Speaker of the House...oh wait...

image.png.31a30b88ad9e74d68c34901441dc2fed.png