Dion Dawkins revival

Ethan in Cleveland

I've been pretty down on Dion the last year or so. I thought he played an excellent game on Sunday. Perhaps his best game in the last 20. 

I have no idea how he will be graded out but it looked like he was holding his own one on one the entire game and giving far less ground than he had earlier this year. If he can play at this level all year maybe they keep him next year. His cap hit is only marginally more than this year. His dead cap hit is over $7M. That would save them $8M in cap space but leave them relying on a rookie to play LT. 

What did others see?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Everybody pre season calling Dawkins fat, out of shape, lazy, etc.

He’s a good tackle and a cost controlled price. 

Well. He is fat and out of shape. But he has played well so far this season.  

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

11 hours ago, mrags said:

I will say that I was very tough on Dawkins and he’s impressed so far this year. But I won’t kiss his butt just yet. It wasn’t a starting caliber DE he was going up against yesterday. 

This makes sense.  He's been good all year but you're not giving him credit because you don't think Bradley Chubb isn't a starting DE?

13 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I've been pretty down on Dion the last year or so. I thought he played an excellent game on Sunday. Perhaps his best game in the last 20. 

I have no idea how he will be graded out but it looked like he was holding his own one on one the entire game and giving far less ground than he had earlier this year. If he can play at this level all year maybe they keep him next year. His cap hit is only marginally more than this year. His dead cap hit is over $7M. That would save them $8M in cap space but leave them relying on a rookie to play LT. 

What did others see?

The much more likely scenario is they extend his contract in the offseason.

They aren't going to cut him and rely on a rookie to block Josh's blind side.

Now, if after the year he balloons and gets fat and quits on football, sure he could be cut. Or if after next year he asks for $16 million plus, they'll let him walk, but otherwise he'll be on the team next year. 

I see "Let's cut this vet for cap space" ideas on this forum. When was the last time Beane actually did that? Especially a drafted and developed player like Dawkins. 

Edited by elroy16

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.