Zack Moss revisited

Sierra Foothills

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

How did that season end for them? 

I seem to recall the good QB putting the bad QB in a box and beating them by 40 in the playoffs. In Buffalo.  Throwing the football. The horror!

It doesn't matter how the season ended for them.  Suppose you have that wind during a home playoff game and you lose. Season over.

30 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

It doesn't matter how the season ended for them.  Suppose you have that wind during a home playoff game and you lose. Season over.

That game was historic. It probably won’t happen again. Not to mention, we’ve won bad weather home playoff games already.

It shouldn’t be on the top 50 things for you to worry about. A December game almost 2 years ago?

Edited by FireChans

Just now, FireChans said:

That game was historic. It probably won’t happen again. Not to mention, we’ve won bad weather home playoff games already.

It shouldn’t be on the top 50 things for you to worry about. A December game almost 2 years ago?

Historic because there is NEVER bad weather in Buffalo that will limit your ability to pass the ball.   Funny how Bills players and coaches keep saying they need to be balanced on offense, and and a wanna be here says you should throw it 90% of the time.

I don't "worry" about football because it isn't my life.  Don't quit your day job because you won't make it as a psychic.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Nuncha said:

Historic because there is NEVER bad weather in Buffalo that will limit your ability to pass the ball.   Funny how Bills players and coaches keep saying they need to be balanced on offense, and and a wanna be here says you should throw it 90% of the time.

I don't "worry" about football because it isn't my life.  Don't quit your day job because you won't make it as a psychic.

They keep saying “balance” and they will still throw the ball far more than they will run, and Bills fans from the 60s will continue to clamor for our next “OJ” or “Thurman” without realizing that scrap heap RBs have been winning Super Bowl for the last 2 decades. Time is a flat circle baby. 

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Moss is playing well in overtime vs Baltimore.

Lemar seems to be in a shell not running ball when he would have before which may cost them the game.

Colts kicker set a record with 4 50+ FGs in a game.

Colts beat Ravens without Colts starting QB.

He lost that game.  Had several easy completions for first downs that he missed near end of game and in OT.

45 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They keep saying “balance” and they will still throw the ball far more than they will run, and Bills fans from the 60s will continue to clamor for our next “OJ” or “Thurman” without realizing that scrap heap RBs have been winning Super Bowl for the last 2 decades. Time is a flat circle baby. 

As a Bills fan from the 60s, I encourage you to not generalize.  It's true that I loved watching OJ and Thurman run with the ball. 

But this offseason, I was against spending money on any of the big-name backs available.  I'm happy with our backfield as it is.  It's a good ROI on the cap dollars spent.  And, with Josh as our QB and Dorsey as our coordinator, we're clearly a pass-first team in a pass-first era.  

Andy Reid is even older than me and he presides over one of the best passing offenses we've ever seen.   It's a fallacy that older people are generally stuck in the past.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/22/2023 at 10:30 PM, Sierra Foothills said:

The Bills drafted running back Zack Moss in the 3rd round (86th overall) of the 2020 NFL Draft. At the time I liked the pick and thought of him as a good physical back. He flashed at times as a Bill but was mostly a disappointment partly because of his inability to stay healthy and partly because of his general ineffectiveness. He never seemed to resemble the player he was at Utah.

Finally last Halloween we traded him to the Colts for fellow running back Nyheim Hines. Besides swapping him for Hines, we acquired two physical runners (Damien Harris and Latavius Murray) to provide that ruggedness that Moss was supposed to bring us.

By the time he was shown the door he was pretty much a whipping boy for members of this forum. It hasn't been spoken of much around here but Moss has quietly resurrected his career.

Here are his stat lines from his last 5 regular season games with Indy:

Zack Moss last 5 Regular Season Games with the Colts
Date ATT YDS YPC
12/17/22 24 81 3.38
12/26/22 12 65 5.42
1/1/23 15 74 4.93
1/8/23 18 114 6.33
9/17/23 18 88 4.89
AVERAGE 15.4 84.4 5.48
Zack Moss last 6 Regular Season Games
Date ATT YDs YPC
12/17/22 24 81 3.38
12/26/22 12 65 5.42
1/1/23 15 74 4.93
1/8/23 18 114 6.33
9/17/23 18 88 4.89
9/24/23 30 122 4.07
AVERAGE 19.5 90.7 4.65

On 9/23/2023 at 11:47 AM, Utah John said:

Moss wasn't a good fit for the Bills.  And the Bills were a terrible place for Moss to spend his career.....

That kid was a good ballplayer who got entirely too much undeserved crap from this fanbase.

Hope he has an excellent and rewarding career wherever he may travel.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

On 9/23/2023 at 9:43 AM, Fan in Chicago said:

I havent seen the Colts or Moss so cant tell about the scheme or his running style. Perhaps it is a combination of - him being motivated due to being booted off his first team, scheme, number of carries. On the Bills, he didnt look very motivated after the first season during which he looked like a hard runner and the type we eventually got with Harris and Murray. 

For one reason 

On a related note, I see that Singletary on the Texans has these stats

4-14-3.5

7-15-2.1

These are pretty poor so I looked up if he is injured but I cant find any such reports. Why is he being underutilized?

He’s an average rb. They have better on their roster. 

On 9/23/2023 at 11:43 AM, Sharky7337 said:

He aint tearing up the league i don't see what there is to revisit

The OP did say he was quietly resurrecting his career in Indy, he didn't say he was tearing up the league. One note though, Moss is top 10 in the NFL in rushing yards so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

Leading rusher for last 5 superbowl winners:

2023: Kansas City Chiefs Pacheco, Isaiah 830

2022: Los Angeles Rams Michel, Sony 845

2021: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Fournette, Leonard 812

2020: Kansas City Chiefs Williams, Damien 498

2019: New England Patriots Michel, Sony 938

2018: Philadelphia Eagles Blount, LeGarrette 766

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Meanwhile, the leading rushers in those years:

2022 Josh Jacobs

2021 Jonathan Taylor

2020 Derrick Henry

2019 Derrick Henry

2018 Ezekiel Elliott

It's possible that McCaffrey will break the pattern this year, leading the league in rushing (or at least combined rushing/receiving by a RB) and actually win something ....

Edited by The Frankish Reich

4 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

That's cute and all, but regular season rushing totals mean very little.

To completely ignore that most of those teams leaned on the run game to various amounts come playoffs is disingenuous.

Want to know what you get without at minimum a respectable run game come January? A one dimensional offense that is suspectable to being key on and slowed by the weather. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.