Kurt Warner analysis of JA

Dr Krentist

6 hours ago, Ga boy said:

In terms of QB style, is JA17 able to do like Aaron R by dropping back in pocket then forward as the rush gets pushed by him?  I know he would have to be committed to staying in the pocket.  It seems that stepping up would give him a second to see the routes.  Do we have the OL to make this work? It might be easier for the lineman to direct the flow of traffic, rather than trying to overpower the DL. 

We have seen Josh have good pocket movement before. I think he wasn't prepared for the speed of the game and especially the speed of the Jets and that years of having a terrible oline has made him not trust it.  I thought overall the line did a decent job against the Jets though.

• Like (+1) 2

Everyone saw the poor passing games from last year as defenses began taking away the deep routes. They found a way to combat against what was once Allen's bread and butter plays. This game is just an example of a great defense getting even better against Allen. Allen is going to figure it out. The WRs will figure it out. Dorsey will figure it out. I see people talking about the high/low route concepts, something that the Bills have been running every year since Allen became a Bill. And believe me, the Jets have been paying attention too.  The Bills aren't the only ones watching film, studying tendencies.

Me personally, playing the blame game isn't productive. Doing just what Allen stated in his press conference is. Learn from the game and correct the mistakes. The game of football evolves because it is as much of a chess game as a physical skill game. When the opponent changes strategy you adjust your own to compensate. This is the 1st game of the season. The Jets played a hell of a defense. Allen, the WRs and Dorsey now have film to get the job done and I have confidence they will do just that. It is not time to panic. Give me a couple more performances like this last game and I will start to worry.  The overall theme of this tread seems a little over the top with the criticism.  But hey, I'm just sitting in my armchair making observations. What do I know.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Do we have the OL to make this work? It might be easier for the lineman to direct the flow of traffic, rather than trying to overpower the DL. 

That was how the scheme was supported to work last year. 

There was a video and article on it in which linemen were to funnel the defense giving Josh more time.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/15/2023 at 5:28 PM, VaMilBill said:

Our WR corps is mediocre outside of Diggs. I would very much be in favor of trading up to get Marvin Harrison jr next draft

Seriously? Dude is likely a top 5 pick. Exactly how many first round picks do you think the Bills are giving up to get up that high?

Edited by BillsUberAlles

3 hours ago, Rockinon said:

Everyone saw the poor passing games from last year as defenses began taking away the deep routes. They found a way to combat against what was once Allen's bread and butter plays. This game is just an example of a great defense getting even better against Allen. Allen is going to figure it out. The WRs will figure it out. Dorsey will figure it out. I see people talking about the high/low route concepts, something that the Bills have been running every year since Allen became a Bill. And believe me, the Jets have been paying attention too.  The Bills aren't the only ones watching film, studying tendencies.

Me personally, playing the blame game isn't productive. Doing just what Allen stated in his press conference is. Learn from the game and correct the mistakes. The game of football evolves because it is as much of a chess game as a physical skill game. When the opponent changes strategy you adjust your own to compensate. This is the 1st game of the season. The Jets played a hell of a defense. Allen, the WRs and Dorsey now have film to get the job done and I have confidence they will do just that. It is not time to panic. Give me a couple more performances like this last game and I will start to worry.  The overall theme of this tread seems a little over the top with the criticism.  But hey, I'm just sitting in my armchair making observations. What do I know.

Get out of here with your level-headed takes. We are mad as hell and we’re not gonna take it anymore /s

• Haha (+1) 2

On 9/15/2023 at 5:22 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I don’t think Dorsey knows what to do Josh played a very good first half… had a rough second half…recovered enough to get them in field goal range to tie it. 

In OT Knox dropped a pass, called a draw on 2nd and 15, and then Josh threw on incompletion to Diggs. Then a Sam Martin line drive special.

I agree with Kurt’s analysis these receivers don’t really make contested catches or fight for balls. 

Now Dorsey has admitted he didn’t want Josh running and limited his runs. 

Limiting Allen's runs are fine until it comes time to let that boy go....I feel it's being drilled into him to be a pocket passer and that simply is not Josh Allen....these coaches are trying to make josh into what they want instead of Letting Allen be allen

• Agree 1

On 9/15/2023 at 5:22 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

I don’t think Dorsey knows what to do Josh played a very good first half… had a rough second half…recovered enough to get them in field goal range to tie it. 

In OT Knox dropped a pass, called a draw on 2nd and 15, and then Josh threw on incompletion to Diggs. Then a Sam Martin line drive special.

I agree with Kurt’s analysis these receivers don’t really make contested catches or fight for balls. 

Now Dorsey has admitted he didn’t want Josh running and limited his runs. 

Lol Knox pass was a drop?  Shirley.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that but you have to be somewhat concerned about all of his turnovers. It's more than a one off. 

Also, Allen is 0-5 in OT games as a Bill QB. I'm not sure exactly what that means. Elite franchise QBs have to be clutch and win OT games. This far, it appears Allen hasn't got it done. 

Is he really that clutch when the game is on the line? I always thought he was. 

Like most things in life it is never black and white.

Allen has had sketchy pass pro from his line long enough that the clock in his head is off and the happy feet and pocket management is off.

Allen needs to get the ball out faster, more under center play action on schedule throws, not dismissing open options beneath the sticks, and taking off when it makes sense to do so, but get out of bounds or slide...

Most fans still believe we need Allen behind center playing the way we know he can. We don't want to see him lowering his shoulder and taking vicious shots for a meaningless 2 yards.

His receivers and coaches could do a better job cleaning up the sloppy route execution.

Not just poorly run routes, but we had two veteran receivers who ended up running one play where their routes ended up right on top of each other.

That was a WTF coaching moment for sure as no way the play was drawn up that way. So better execution and attention to detail in practices.

When playing those coverage shells it is all about the details. If you are going to take shots near or past the sticks, the timing and routes need to be crisp because you are hitting windows that open and close quickly.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

How much does the guy that threw that make?

kelc.thumb.png.14de17a186bbd1a23f75ca21f9600641.png

How much does Mahomes get paid? There was noone even around Kelce and it was so far thrown behind him he had to abruptly slide and reach behind the direction he was running.  Still caught the ball.  These throws and catches happen all the time. Knox dropped the ball period.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 9/15/2023 at 4:47 PM, Dr Krentist said:

Maybe he's biased because he was a QB but he, not necessarily blames the WRs, but thinks they could have done more to help JA. Goes to show its the little things in every position that can alter or make a play.

Can Kurt be our OC .

I felt like the whole game we didn't try to push down the field, except for when Josh threw a few wing and a prayers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.