Jonathan Taylor... NOW!

The_Ripster

18 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Why not a WR?  Davis does not cut it IMO. Use the remaining resources on a real weapon besides Diggs. 

Get a good WR before the trade deadline.  I still have hopes for M Evans, Tampa could easily lose four out of the next five and look to deal him after we play them (Philly, NO, Det, Atl, Buff).  Maybe D Adams if the Raiders tailspin.  Maybe C Kupp.  Getting an upgrade at WR2 does the most for elevating this offense.

No team has two #1 WRs unless one or both of them are on their rookie contracts. Have you seen Davante Adams contract? https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/davante-adams-14463/

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I think hes the one name you can make an exception on because of how many balls he catches ON TOP of the rush yards

I have to agree i think if the Bills were to put Taylor in this offense OMG the change would be that like McCafree going to SF i just don't know where the money would come from, then you add the fact that the reason why he asked for a trade is because he wants a new contract that matches his out put .

So given all of that that was the reason why i went where i did because i think the RB stable that the Bills have this year can be a difference maker if they use it successfully as a Thunder & Lightning type of application in the game plan but again i would love a Taylor on the team !! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

No team has two #1 WRs unless one or both of them are on their rookie contracts. Have you seen Davante Adams contract? https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/davante-adams-14463/

The Bills don't need a bonafide WR1, just a significant upgrade in WR2.  Are you saying M Evans is a WR1, because Tampa has C Godwin and M Evans.  LAC has K Allen and M Williams.  Jax has Ridley and Kirk.  LVR has Adams/Meyer and Renfro.

IMO, the best move to upgrade the Bills would be to get a significant upgrade at WR2.  I do think the FO has a budget in mind and OBJ and DHop were above it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But Shanahan doesn't have an incredibly gifted QB that throws the best 25 yard lasers in all of football on his squad.  If he did, he might prioritize getting that QB a second top notch WR to use this unworldly talent.

He has those!! George Kittle, Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel. CMC running/receiving allows those weapons to excel. For his size, CMC has the contact balance that Cook doesn't. 

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

I'd say the Niners might have 2 with Aiyuk/Deebo

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He has those!! George Kittle, Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel. CMC running/receiving allows those weapons to excel. For his size, CMC has the contact balance that Cook doesn't. 

No QB contract. It’s an interesting thing. In SF and Miami, the coach is the biggest star. It’s like college basketball.

12 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The Bills don't need a bonafide WR1, just a significant upgrade in WR2.  Are you saying M Evans is a WR1, because Tampa has C Godwin and M Evans.  LAC has K Allen and M Williams.  Jax has Ridley and Kirk.  LVR has Adams/Meyer and Renfro.

IMO, the best move to upgrade the Bills would be to get a significant upgrade at WR2.  I do think the FO has a budget in mind and OBJ and DHop were above it.

If (big if, but im cautiously optimistic) Spencer Brown can reward Beanes patience this year, and Bernard works out (same cautious optimism), we are all sails ahead at bringing in a legit WR2 IMO. This roster will be about as complete as you can ask for in the salary cap era.

There will be some Tre White questions, some consideration on if Dawkins needs some high end competition brought in, Poyer and or Hyde will be gone (can Rapp step in right away?).  Despite all that, I think our biggest acquisition of the offseason (FA? Finding a way to move up in draft?) should be to bring in another bonafide WR.  

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

If (big if, but im cautiously optimistic) Spencer Brown can reward Beanes patience this year, and Bernard works out (same cautious optimism), we are all sails ahead at bringing in a legit WR2 IMO. This roster will be about as complete as you can ask for in the salary cap era.

There will be some Tre White questions, some consideration on if Dawkins needs some high end competition brought in, Poyer and or Hyde will be gone (can Rapp step in right away?).  Despite all that, I think our biggest acquisition of the offseason (FA? Finding a way to move up in draft) should be to bring in another bonafide WR.  

I'm hoping they are looking in-season for WR2 upgrade.  IMO they have been giving a trial period for one more chance for Gabe - and if the Jets game is any indication, he failed.  

There may be some good WR2's on the market before the trade deadline.  I'm hoping Tampa comes back to reality - M Evans would be a great fit.  Denver looks putrid, maybe C Sutton.  Raiders might be willing to move J Meyers.  Maybe Seattle crashes and T Lockett is available. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The same reason John Elway didn't win one until he got a RB. The same reason the Dolphins tried to get Marino one. Shanahan paid a King's ransom for CMC. He's considered the greatest offensive mind in football today. Think he knows the impact of having a great RB? 

So ... history lies? So the last 20 years of not paying RBs and winning is a lie? LOL ok bubbaccino

We'll be rotting corpses by the time a team builds a dynasty around paying 17-18M to an RB. Oh wait, Titans tried that, Vikings tried that.... annnddddddd it failed. 

22 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Then why has no team who pays a starting RB over 2.5M won a superbowl in the last 20 years? Just a weird coincidence? 

The Bus, Dillion, Marshawn, Rice, Fournette, Addai and Jacobs right off the top of my head we’re getting more then that but that’s not the point . The main ingredient is absolutely QB but that’s not the only ingredient needed . How many Of these great QBs had a chance to play with a dynamic back? Seems like whenever they did have a beast in the backfield they won more times then not. 

• Disagree 1

On 9/19/2023 at 6:38 PM, warrior9 said:

Well it's not one game. He was great at the end of last year and was very good in the Jets game.

Again, you don't win in this league by paying RBs. it's the offensive line. If you win by paying RBs, why do none of the highest paid RBs have a SB ring? Not a single one. 

AP, LT, Derrick Henry, Le'Veon Bell, McCaffery, Zeke (when he was with Cowboys), Chubb, etc etc etc .... 

Cook wasn’t great vs the Jets not at all mof he’s part of the reason we lost be barely broke any tackles and left yds on the field especially on the pass to the flat were he let a bkup lber make a open field tackle on him. 

Btw Running backs don’t win superbowls by themselves it’s not fair to use these great players as examples. I’ll tell u what they weren’t the reason there teams didn’t win that’s for sure. I can start naming you a bunch of other great players that played other positions that didn’t win as well. Your argument is biased and unfair because u don’t hold any grudge to others that didn’t win and got paid to. At the end of the day championships are won in many ways but the most common factor other then QBs and coaching are just having difference making talents and good role players. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The Bus, Dillion, Marshawn, Rice, Fournette, Addai and Jacobs right off the top of my head we’re getting more then that but that’s not the point . The main ingredient is absolutely QB but that’s not the only ingredient needed . How many Of these great QBs had a chance to play with a dynamic back? Seems like whenever they did have a beast in the backfield they won more times then not. 

That is all false. The "top of your head" is very very wrong bubbaccino.

Someone already tried the Fournette thing.

Brandon Jacobs salary 2012- 782,000

Brandon Jacobs salary 2008- 900

Corey Dillon salary 2004- 600,000

Bettis 2005- 4M but he wasn't the starter, Willie Parker was (per the team website and depth chart) 

Addai salary 2006- 275K

There i ONE on there.. and it's marshawn lynch..

We're going to keep trying this huh?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/history-shows-high-priced-running-backs-may-not-be-a-part-of-super-bowl-winning-formula/

Just now, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Cook wasn’t great vs the Jets not at all mof he’s part of the reason we lost be barely broke any tackles and left yds on the field especially on the pass to the flat were he let a bkup lber make a open field tackle on him. 

Btw Running backs don’t win superbowls by themselves it’s not fair to use these great players as examples. I’ll tell u what they weren’t the reason there teams didn’t win that’s for sure. I can start naming you a bunch of other great players that played other positions that didn’t win as well. Your argument is biased and unfair because u don’t hold any grudge to others that didn’t win and got paid to. At the end of the day championships are won in many ways but the most common factor other then QBs and coaching are just having difference making talents and good role players. 

Of course they dont.. having a great offensive line does. You dont win by tying your salary up to a position that is MAINLY BASED on the performance of 5 other guys.. You have such a weird hard on for RBs but history shows and will continue to show.... they dont win you super bowls and paying them will lead to a long long time of franchise purgatory. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Aiyuk is still on his rookie contract 

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Aiyuk is still on his rookie contract 

As is their QB.

Once they pay him, CMC will be gone... and guess what will happen? They'll replace him continue to win games because Shannahan is a hell of a coach and they will have a great line. 

i mean dude, look at the Browns game. Ford comes in and has more yards than Chubb. It's not about the running back but the OLine.. Zack Moss just had a great game. Mostert is 31 on his 7th team and just had over 100.. The examples go on and on and on about why you dont pay running backs.. There are just a bunch of people that love big names and Madden in here that dont understand no matter what you put in front of their face. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

This is patently false as well. I don't hold any kind of grudge for people wanting to get paid. They are worth what they are worth. 

Their worth is REPEATEDLY shown to be lower than every position in football. If you can find me one instance where paying an RB a lot of money worked out, I'll shut up. This has NOTHING to do with my feelings toward RBs but everything to do with their positional monetary value and the success of a team. 

Just now, warrior9 said:

This is patently false as well. I don't hold any kind of grudge for people wanting to get paid. They are worth what they are worth. 

Their worth is REPEATEDLY shown to be lower than every position in football. If you can find me one instance where paying an RB a lot of money worked out, I'll shut up. This has NOTHING to do with my feelings toward RBs but everything to do with their positional monetary value and the success of a team. 

Every one of those players u mentioned we’re worth it to there teams until they weren’t just like any other positions. They helped there teams win a bunch of games, divisions & playoff games they made a ton of money for there organizations with merch and ticket sales. The guys u mentioned mostly didn’t play with a franchise QB so they lead the teams they were on . Not all there teams success was based on them either but they were a big part of there success none the less. 

16 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Every one of those players u mentioned we’re worth it to there teams until they weren’t just like any other positions. They helped there teams win a bunch of games, divisions & playoff games they made a ton of money for there organizations with merch and ticket sales. The guys u mentioned mostly didn’t play with a franchise QB so they lead the teams they were on . Not all there teams success was based on them either but they were a big part of there success none the less. 

You're LITERALLY proving my point.

RBs are easily rotated in and out. They were WORTH it because they were cheap. They didn't pay them (like you thought they did), they had VALUE when they were cheap. 

4 hours ago, warrior9 said:

As is their QB.

Once they pay him, CMC will be gone... and guess what will happen? They'll replace him continue to win games because Shannahan is a hell of a coach and they will have a great line. 

i mean dude, look at the Browns game. Ford comes in and has more yards than Chubb. It's not about the running back but the OLine.. Zack Moss just had a great game. Mostert is 31 on his 7th team and just had over 100.. The examples go on and on and on about why you dont pay running backs.. There are just a bunch of people that love big names and Madden in here that dont understand no matter what you put in front of their face. 

The same offensive line that was getting Watson killed? Highsmith and Watt lived in their backfield. 

11 hours ago, warrior9 said:

You're LITERALLY proving my point.

RBs are easily rotated in and out. They were WORTH it because they were cheap. They didn't pay them (like you thought they did), they had VALUE when they were cheap. 

No they got paid and stilll performed until they didn’t and then either cut or traded. Yes a RB shelf life is not long but they can make a huge difference. Just like other positions some guys get paid and flop completely most RBs that get paid actually play at a high level still for another 2yrs or so . 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/19/2023 at 6:48 PM, Einstein's Dog said:

If Dalton Kincaid pans out, you don’t need a big upgrade at wide receiver two

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2023 at 5:57 AM, NastyNateSoldiers said:

How do u know he’ll average 5.3 yds per carry maybe he’ll average over 6yds.

Sure, maybe he would average over 6 yards. Or maybe he would average under 3 yards. "Maybe" anything can happen.

The best guess is to take his career average, 5.1, and then maybe be very positive and add on a couple of tenths just for the heck of it, hence 5.3. It's being kind. The Colts have a sensational OL in terms of run blocking. 

There’s some TEs in this league that average more yds per catch then Travis Kelce does that mean there better ? Gabe Davis averages more yds per catch then nearly every Wr in the NFL does that make him better?

Yeah, um, the first sentence there is an excellent argument ... having nothing to do with anything that I said. I didn't say Taylor wasn't better. I didn't compare him to anyone.

The second sentence is a poor argument, and equally irrelevant as the first sentence.

At the end of the day Who scares u ? That’s the question defensive coordinators are asking that’s what keeps defensive coordinators up all night and offensive cordinators as well when it comes to defensive players.  Stars make the world go round and it’s no different in sports . Obviously u have to have key role players to win in any game but the stars win the titles and celebrated for that. That’s why there’s a HoF in every sport. Having a RB that can break 3/4 tackles on his way to a 70yd TD keeps defensive coaches up all night .

I hope Cook proves me wrong but I don’t think DCs are doing much prep to stop him especially with his inability to threaten in between the tackles and punish a defense physically. Watching Cook run east and west in the snow last yr was all I needed to see to know he’s not the answer . If we want to win a Super Bowl at some point we’re gonna play in environments that dictate u need to run one ball especially playing in Buffalo. 

@Who scares you" you ask? And that question dictates who you need to get? Sorry, man, that's not an argument that a GM would make. That's one facet of the decision. There are many many more, which is the point. If you could just magically kidnap Taylor and put him on the team with no cap consequences, no acquisition cost, no destroying the value of the three productive, talented RBs already on the roster, then sure, go do it. But what you have there is a pipe dream.

That's a fan's question, not a GM's. In fantasy, yeah, sure, get Taylor. Beane doesn't deal in fantasy, nor should he. Getting him would be a misappropriation of resources. It would hurt the team in exchange for around a couple of hundred extra yards.

And in the end, the answer to your question about "Who scares you" is this ... Josh Allen scares people. Way way way more than Jonathan Taylor does. Which is why we're not going to spend far too many resources on Taylor when we don't run all that much anyway, nor should we.

And if you have already decided on Cook when you've only seen him as a rookie, that speaks a lot to your decision-making process. Knee-jerk decisions are more often wrong than right.

Also, I notice you haven't answered the question. For the obvious reason. But again, where is the last highly paid RB who won a Super Bowl?

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Your tactic here is called "moving the goalposts." 

And moving the goalposts is a sign of desperation in a losing argument.

The question was about Super Bowl winning teams. Not teams that made money with merch sales or ticket sales or "won a bunch of games."

SUPER ... BOWL ... WINNING ... TEAMS.

Plenty of teams pay RBs big money. But how many of them win Super Bowls while they are doing it? It's been a while. A serious while.

Paying huge money to an RB is a misappropriation of money.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:40 PM, FrenchConnection said:

The last time the NFL rushing leader won the Superbowl was Terell Davis and the Broncos in 1998. The last time that the NFL's rushing leader even played in the SB was 2005 (Shawn Alexander). I am willing to admit that there is a change underway in the NFL. It seems to me that Shannhan and McDaniel have cracked the code on how to win without being QB-dependent and if the Dolphins and 49ers play in the SB this year you may see a lot of teams try to load up on speed at the skill positions instead of chasing that elite quarterback. But to claim that the key to winning is a big power back getting the lion's share of touches? I would have to see that to believe that we are going back to the 80's

Do history repeat itself? I don't think anyone is saying to give a power back the lion share of touches. Having one that can impact a game or make a defense aware that he is on the field helps. Making a LB or a safety hesitate for a second because of the threat at the RB position can only help a QB like Josh, who has a bazooka on his right arm, open up those "tight window" throws. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Paying huge money to an RB is a misappropriation of money.

Do we really want to talk about misappropriating money? Remember the $ Beane gave to his defensive line the past couple of years. If I have to pay a young, known talent like JT28 to give me a better chance to win a SB then so be it. Anyone see how Bijan Robinson is making his offensive line look so much better only because of his talent? Taylor is that kind of RB that has that same type of vision and contact balance

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If Dalton Kincaid pans out, you don’t need a big upgrade at wide receiver two

Dalton replaces Beasley.  We could still use a WR2 that replaces the J Brown/E Sanders of years past.  The promotion of Gabe did not work out (IMO).  

I think the FO had considered around a $10M investment with OBJ and DHop.  When that didn't work they decided to try to see if Gabe could fill the gap again.  It's not working.  That $10M and the 3rd rounder (for Edmunds) should be able to get us a nice WR for 2/3's of this season (and hopefully with a contract that goes through another 2 more seasons as Diggs insurance).  My dream scenario is work it out w M Evans.

45 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Do we really want to talk about misappropriating money? Remember the $ Beane gave to his defensive line the past couple of years. If I have to pay a young, known talent like JT28 to give me a better chance to win a SB then so be it. Anyone see how Bijan Robinson is making his offensive line look so much better only because of his talent? Taylor is that kind of RB that has that same type of vision and contact balance

But we have some pretty decent RBs.  We don't have a good WR2.  Do you really think JT would help this team more than M Evans?

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/18/2023 at 5:23 PM, hondo in seattle said:

But I get what you're saying about OLs.  If you have a good OL, you'll not only get yards on the ground even with an average back, but you'll also keep your QB upright and healthy.  

I'm reasonably happy with our backfield - I think they'll provide a lot of bang for the buck.  I just wish we had a better OL.  

On 9/19/2023 at 2:32 AM, AuntieEm said:

Then you keep improving your oline until it opens holes that any player can run through without difficulty.  You get the oline beefed up you don't even need top of the line weapons though doesn't hurt to have those as well. 

On 9/19/2023 at 1:22 PM, Thurman#1 said:

If we were going to bring in a really good player by trading away major draft resources and spending salary cap money we can't afford and stay in good cap shape ... for God's sake, make it an RT. Or another excellent young pass rusher.

These three posts are dead on.  The  best investment for winning a Super Bowl is in the lines, and especially when a team has a great QB, in the offensive line.  Every QB needs protection and targets.  Without those two elements, even the greatest QBs fail.  A great QB with protection and good receivers puts up the points to win games, and with some good defensive play and luck, maybe even a Super Bowl.  A good/great RB is a luxury for a team with a great QB because running the ball isn't central to their success in the 2020s like it was in the 1980s or 1990s primarily because of rules changes.   A Super Bowl contending team needs a solid running game for protecting leads late in games and for playing in bad weather.  

On 9/19/2023 at 8:27 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

The same reason John Elway didn't win one until he got a RB. The same reason the Dolphins tried to get Marino one. Shanahan paid a King's ransom for CMC. He's considered the greatest offensive mind in football today. Think he knows the impact of having a great RB? 

You do realize that John Elway retired after the 1998 season which was a quarter of a century ago, right?    That was then, this is now.

Edited by SoTier

On 9/19/2023 at 6:31 PM, Mr. WEO said:

hottest take of the day!!

yikes.

I'm sure you thought Dalvin Cook was elite too. (90% of sports pundits said he was a top 5 RB in the league while he was an FA looking for a new home)

Goes to a team with no offensive line.. and *gasp* guess what?! He is below average and is averaging 2.5 yards a carry. 

What's the excuse here? No QB? No Offensive line? obviously.. because these things MAKE an RB, not the other way around.. 

How many examples need to be shared and proven for people to understand this?

40 minutes ago, SoTier said:

These three posts are dead on.  The  best investment for winning a Super Bowl is in the lines, and especially when a team has a great QB, in the offensive line.  Every QB needs protection and targets.  Without those two elements, even the greatest QBs fail.  A great QB with protection and good receivers puts up the points to win games, and with some good defensive play and luck, maybe even a Super Bowl.  A good/great RB is a luxury for a team with a great QB because running the ball isn't central to their success in the 2020s like it was in the 1980s or 1990s primarily because of rules changes.   A Super Bowl contending team needs a solid running game for protecting leads late in games and for playing in bad weather.  

You do realize that John Elway retired after the 1998 season which was a quarter of a century ago, right?    That was then, this is now.

You can have the greatest rb in league history and none of them will get much with bad oline play.  You get good oline play and even barely competent rbs can get 1st downs over 3 downs when oline can keep dlinemen occupied long enough foe 3.5 yds a pop which isn't gonna get you any wow plays  but will move chains and kill game clock.

Theoretically if one team has an oline that is unbeatable then they could hold the ball for almost the entire game save the time the other team gets the kickoff to start a half.  But once they score or have to punt  the dominant team could lock down the ball to never give it back. They could basically score just enough points needed based on how well their defense plays.  Qb protection on that line would make any qb look at least competent.  That qb would never need to risk any pass that wasn't a absolute gimme to a wide open receiver, and if the oline is that dominant then any competent wrs are gonna spring open at some point for a never harried qb that is never stressed about getting hit behind that line. So even if your star qb is out sick with the flu your backup is not gonna lose the game with great protection.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Dude, it doesn't give you a better chance of winning the SB... HISTORY AND STATISTICS SHOW it gives you a SIGNIFICANTLY worse chance... ATL has a good offensive line.... They also run the ball 30x a game and he has Allgeier to spell him.. You people and your big names are crazy..

Jame Cook averages more YPC than JT as well. 

Please show me ONE INSTANCE where an RB put a team over the top to win a SB... just one. You're arguing in circles but haven't proved a single point / shown how RBs value is minimal. There are 100's of examples to prove their lack of value.

Raheem Mostert is 31 on his 7th team and just had a 100 yard game.

Zack Moss just had a 100 yard game and a few TDs

Kyren Williams is 5th and just won the job from a 2nd or 3rd round pick  

Pacheco won the job over a 1st round pick 

Chubb leaves, Ford does better

Derek Henry was the best RB in the league for 3 years, won nothing

Josh Jacobs was rushing title last year, no playoffs.... do we continue or are you going to still pound the table for someone because he has a big name and you think that wins football games? 

Edited by warrior9
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.