Oh and How About Bernard

Thrivefourfive

On 9/12/2023 at 6:23 AM, JohnNord said:

He played a better individual game than Josh Allen 

With the way Josh played that’s like being the smartest kid on the short bus.  It’s not something to brag about but he did better than I thought he would.  The defense wasn’t the problem on Monday that’s for sure.  

Edited by Mynamemike

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't believe that's how its calculated.  

I don't care how it's calculated, those are the facts.  

I'd be happy to go thru play by play.  From what I've seen, which is extensive, he's good on pass plays in coverage, not so much in pass-rush, but sucks v. the run.  Which is what we already knew about him.  

He'll be a liability on running plays all season.  

On 9/11/2023 at 11:18 PM, Fetou said:

Don't take for granted that we have Ed Oliver though. You can overlook these holes and compensate for them when you have a world beating top end talent like Oliver as a priority in your championship roster building strategy.

The most bizarre horrible signing in a long time right here.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

I don't care how it's calculated, those are the facts.  

I'd be happy to go thru play by play.  From what I've seen, which is extensive, he's good on pass plays in coverage, not so much in pass-rush, but sucks v. the run.  Which is what we already knew about him.  

He'll be a liability on running plays all season.  

You are coming up with your own way of calculating something and then labeling it as a fact?  

I trust people who actually understand the game and knows what they are looking at.  That's not you, no offense, it's not me either. 

Bernard wasn't great, but was okay.

1 minute ago, McBean said:

The most bizarre horrible signing in a long time right here.

Nope.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Ed Oliver hate brigade aren't swayed by things like reality. 

I focused on Oliver all night.  At the snap, I wanted to see what he was doing.  I guess it's because I was a little hard on him in the prior years, he signed his big extension and I guess I want to see if he's going to earn it.

I did like what I saw from Oliver MNF.  

I really can see us being dominant when Von gets back, Rosseau can slide inside on passing downs and Floyd is the other edge guy.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You are coming up with your own way of calculating something and then labeling it as a fact?  

I trust people who actually understand the game and knows what they are looking at.  That's not you, no offense, it's not me either. 

I think their difference is Erik is only counting run plays. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I focused on Oliver all night.  At the snap, I wanted to see what he was doing.  I guess it's because I was a little hard on him in the prior years, he signed his big extension and I guess I want to see if he's going to earn it.

I did like what I saw from Oliver MNF.  

I really can see us being dominant when Von gets back, Rosseau can slide inside on passing downs and Floyd is the other edge guy.  

Yea I thought he was quieter first half but second half he was excellent. No coincidence their TD drive came the one drive they had the entire backup line in. 

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would like to watch it.... but man Erik is so irritating. I'll give it a go and see how long I can stick it. 

You just can't take that thick WNY accent. I'm from there, and it always takes me a minute to adjust when I listen to WGR callers. That being said, I can lapse right back into it just by saying the phrase. "Yous guys gonna go to Wegman's in Cheektowaga?' Flaten out those "As" in Cheektowaga and you've got it.

Just so I don't derail the thread, I thought Bernard played well. He will not be the primary reason that we don't win a SB this year. And he'll only get better with playing time, although his size will be a liability against bigger RBs. On that Lazard pass, the WR found a gap in the zone and Wilson hit him. I really do wish that we played man coverage sometimes but that's a topic for another discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Too early to dismiss but not too early to be very worried. He is the smallest MLB in the league.  He was moslty terrible and late to makingp lays, but he did make a couple tackles near the LOS. I praised that during the game.

It just looks like he is going to have to guess a lot or have incredible instincts to avoid getting blocked out of the play. He doesn't have the size to take on even average tight ends let alone o-line. Now Edmunds had zero instincts so any improvement there would be welcome. 

Becoming very worried is a personal decision. I don’t share yours.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Incorrect. From guys who actually watched and studied the All-22, Bernard surprised them. Instinctive and good in zone coverage. Struggled playing off blockers but he’s 220. Milano struggles with that as well. “Encouraged” is the word used to describe him from what I’ve heard. 

Bills want pass coverage LBers, Bernard fits the role well. 

They are not gonna say yeah he sucked. If he remains out mlb you can expect multiple 50 yard runs per game as we saw. He will either shoot the wrong gap to avoid getting pancakes or get pancake and off to the races. Unless we bring up safety help for him and then our pass coverage will suffer. 

41 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bernard wasn't great, but was okay.

Nope.

Again, he was just fine in pass coverage.  Nothing to be concerned about there whatsoever.  

He was not good in most other aspects.  He was blown up on most run plays, made zero impact at the LOS, and made no solo tackles on RBs.  In fact, I distinctly commented to one friend during the game that on one running play he looked like a log in the middle of a tsunami.  

He was involved in, secondarily, not primariy, three comb tackles on running plays by RBs that netted an average of 5 yards, 15 yards total.  The primary tacklers on those plays were White, Oliver, and Jones.  He was involved in a few at the end of the game while the Jets were merely posturing for FG positioning, which I did not count for what should be obvious reasons.  

He made one solo tackle on Zach Wilson on a scramble that gained 6 yards, and was in on another with Lawson as the primary on a Wilson 2-yard sneak on 4th-and-1 and Bernard with contact only well after Wilson had already crossed the 1D mark.  

All other tackles were on pass plays.  

Make whatever you want of it.  We're clearly not going to agree, so no sense in contining this exchange.  :) 

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Again, he was just fine in pass coverage.  Nothing to be concerned about there whatsoever.  

He was not good in most other aspects.  He was blown up on most run plays, made zero impact at the LOS, and made no solo tackles on RBs.  In fact, I distinctly commented to one friend during the game that on one running play he looked like a log in the middle of a tsunami.  

He was involved in, secondarily, not primariy, three comb tackles on running plays by RBs that netted an average of 5 yards, 15 yards total.  The primary tacklers on those plays were White, Oliver, and Jones.  He was involved in a few at the end of the game while the Jets were merely posturing for FG positioning, which I did not count for what should be obvious reasons.  

He made one solo tackle on Zach Wilson on a scramble that gained 6 yards, and was in on another with Lawson as the primary on a Wilson 2-yard sneak on 4th-and-1 and Bernard with contact only well after Wilson had already crossed the 1D mark.  

All other tackles were on pass plays.  

Make whatever you want of it.  We're clearly not going to agree, so no sense in contining this exchange.  :) 

Okay.  We will disagree.

I will be in favor of the opinion on people who know how to look at film.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.