2023 NFL Season - Week #1 - Bills at Jets - Post game game thread

BuffaloBill

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So is it on the receivers not getting open, Josh not finding them, or poor play calling? 

Seems like we're reliving the same problems as last season.

Seems like we’re also completely agreeing with each other lol. I said the exact same thing in my initial reply.

Some analysis and time is needed but I doubt it’s primarily Gabe considering everything else that went down tonight.

9 minutes ago, Success said:

He has a mixed record in big games. He has been spectacular in some.

Tonight, btw, was not a big game.

Ok if you say so. Come the end of the season let's see if it was a big game. 

After this game, as a fan it's hard not to be disappointed in the way the Bills played. 

Several of last years issues seemingly reappeared tonight. The oline can't stop a quality defense, the love for Cook should be tempered. He's nice but not elite and can't shed a tackle. Allen continues to turnover the ball. A constant theme for years now. Gotta ask if this is who he is aka Farve. Coaching wasn't great tonight. Dline gave up some big runs which is another common theme. 

Kincaid looked decent but far from what many were implying he's a game changer. Knox was better. Bernard didn't look as bad as I thought. 

I don't have much confidence in this coaching staff. Dorsey appears to be unable to put a cohesive game plan or make positive adjustments. He seems to call plays on the fly play by play like backyard football. Maybe I'm wrong here but that's my feeling. 

Coach McD is overrated. I just don't think he can get this team over the hump. 

With that said, I still thought the Bills were going to win the game once they won the OT toss. 

13 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It clearly was a 45 million dollar TE makes that catch 

He's overpaid and that was a bad deal by Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

a 3rd down interception is indeed a big deal.  You don't punt on 3rd down, it's not like a punt. It was 3rd and 8, not 20.

Well, yes. I was pointing out that it is situational. If it’s a down and distance that’s likely out of reach, take a chance. 3rd and 8 should be very doable to todays NFL. 

34 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Some of the criticisms of Dorsey are probably misdirected. Where he/the staff have failed is not making josh a better quarterback. He (josh) needs to learn: better situational awareness, how to put some air under the ball, how to successfully manage different types of games. 

Coaching is everything imo

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Honest question—what are your thoughts as a Jets fan with Rodgers possibly done for the season? Does it feel a little like you won the battle but lost the war? At some point your QB needs to win you games, and Wilson has shown what he can and can’t do, tonight notwithstanding. Congrats on a solid team effort for you all around! 

We won despite Wilson, he looks lost out there. This is a 7-10 team with him at the helm. Just like last season, our defense can't sustain their playing tonight all season long. To be honest, it's Miami's division to lose at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So is it on the receivers not getting open, Josh not finding them, or poor play calling? 

Seems like we're reliving the same problems as last season.

Yep. I agree. It looked like last year's team. Lots of the same issues. 

That's what's so disappointing since there was such an emphasis on the new look offense. 

It was anything but new...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Ok if you say so. Come the end of the season let's see if it was a big game. 

After this game, as a fan it's hard not to be disappointed in the way the Bills played. 

Several of last years issues seemingly reappeared tonight. The oline can't stop a quality defense, the love for Cook should be tempered. He's nice but not elite and can't shed a tackle. Allen continues to turnover the ball. A constant theme for years now. Gotta ask if this is who he is aka Farve. Coaching wasn't great tonight. Dline gave up some big runs which is another common theme. 

Kincaid looked decent but far from what many were implying he's a game changer. Knox was better. Bernard didn't look as bad as I thought. 

I don't have much confidence in this coaching staff. Dorsey appears to be unable to put a cohesive game plan or make positive adjustments. He seems to call plays on the fly play by play like backyard football. Maybe I'm wrong here but that's my feeling. 

Coach McD is overrated. I just don't think he can get this team over the hump. 

With that said, I still thought the Bills were going to win the game once they won the OT toss. 

Agree with pretty much everything except the TE. Knox is better at pass blocking and had one glorious catch where he ran over a defender, but Kincaid is clearly the superior route runner and pass catcher. He is as advertised. 

Now we just need to find a coordinator who can utilize the best TE combination since Gronk / Hernandez.

I’ve defended the coaching a lot before but after this game it’s easy to say it all comes back to McDermott. Someone needs to get Josh’s head in check. Someone needs to get the OC understanding how to feel the situational play calling. Someone needs to get the unnecessary penalties cleaned up (Milano). It falls back on McD and as good of a guy he is, he’s just not the one to get them to pull it altogether.  

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, yes. I was pointing out that it is situational. If it’s a down and distance that’s likely out of reach, take a chance. 3rd and 8 should be very doable to todays NFL. 

Ok , but I'll still never go along with a 3rd down interception is as good as a punt. It's not and never will be. Too many things could happen, and 3rd and 20 isn't that big a deal these days.

12 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Mahomes frequently has wide open receivers that get him huge RAC. This is because Andy Reid is twice the play designer and play caller that Dorsey is. He also frequently has Kelce inexplicably wide open when the play breaks down.

Mahomes struggles (just like Allen did today) when the other team gets pressure with 4 rushers. See the Bucs Super Bowl for a recent example.

Agreed, 100%. With a coach like Reid, or Sean Payton, Allen would win multiple super bowls over his career. Without a doubt he is talented enough, but he has to do it ALL on his own.

But Pegula won't fire McDermott because he's a "strong Christian man" which is what he wrote in the statement explaining his contract extension. It seems his Christianity is the reason he'll be here forever. 

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He just looks like he has zero trust in the OL and expects them to get beat on every drop back

Agreed, but is it justified? Other than Brown being pushed back into the pocket, I didn't think the line played that bad on passing downs.  Is it just being paranoid and impatient?

Edited by Billz4ever

1 minute ago, MPT said:

Agree with pretty much everything except the TE. Knox is better at pass blocking and had one glorious catch where he ran over a defender, but Kincaid is clearly the superior route runner and pass catcher. He is as advertised. 

Now we just need to find a coordinator who can utilize the best TE combination since Gronk / Hernandez.

Might want to add we need to find a Tim Brady too. Because Allen ain't no Brady. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

It's Josh playing hero ball, we lost cause of it

Yeah sure, everything was going so well up until those those turnovers. 

It was either punt or INT. I'm not going to blame Allen for trying to win.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, MPT said:

I'm gonna go with Knox to eventually kill someone?  Bets anyone?

There's a lot to be said about this game......and everyone is saying it.

But man, would you rather be the Bills and just lose an awful game or would you rather be the Jets, win the game, but lose your HOF QB for the season.  I bet if you ask the coach of the Jets, he'd rather have Rodgers under center next week than winning tonight.

The Jets won the battle, but probably lost any chance of winning anything meaningful this season and maybe next season as well. 

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, MPT said:

Yeah sure, everything was going so well up until those those turnovers. 

It was either punt or INT. I'm not going to blame Allen for trying to win.

How about a completion? Is that not an option on a 3rd and 8?  And you don't punt on 3rd down, so it wasn't really either a punt or an INT.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.