Bills-Jets week 1

Pete

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m excited about the prospects of running with 12 personnel, but I don’t know if swapping Kincaid in for a WR is going to make THAT much of a difference.  The jets DL is what makes their run d formindabke vs our O imo. 

I think you're still suffering from Roger Saffold flashbacks.  I think that Y2 of Kromer plus McGovern and Torrence plus a healthy Brown plus a trimmed down Dawkins = a much improved OL.

As long as we focus on quick hitting passing routes, use the slot, and commit to the run game we will be fine.  Josh has to put hero ball on hold for a game and not look for the big play until after he has already set the Jets up.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I think you're still suffering from Roger Saffold flashbacks.  I think that Y2 of Kromer plus McGovern and Torrence plus a healthy Brown plus a trimmed down Dawkins = a much improved OL.

As long as we focus on quick hitting passing routes, use the slot, and commit to the run game we will be fine.  Josh has to put hero ball on hold for a game and not look for the big play until after he has already set the Jets up.

That’s definitely part of it.  No doubt.  I just need to see this OL in action before I can vouch for it.  

another reason for my initial comment, “that the jets D is better suited to stop our run then our D is to stop their run” is Terrel Bernard.  I’m legit worried about him be the target of our opposition on a weekly basis.  He hasn’t played in weeks and has very little experience.  Like the OL, I’ll believe it when I see it.  

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

That's a beautiful sight to see

Seriously 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Huh? It will give fans a good measuring stick of the Bills team. 

I'm sure there will be many good and bad things the Bills will learn from this game. 

Sure it's one game and no need to overreact because it's a long season. But to say "it really doesn't tell us anything going forward" is inaccurate IMHO. 

Just like last season gave us a measuring stick on how last season would end?  

things change.  Some team improve.  Some teams get worse.  Injuries happen. Players come back from injury.  All in all, it’s one of 17 Sundays and only gives us a glimpse of what the season might look like.

the bengals were 0-2 with losses to Arizona at home and @ the giants last season

Those game didn’t tell didn’t tell us much of anything 

9 hours ago, buffblue said:

A bit premature for this imo. It's game 1 and they play in a far weaker division. A loss to the NFC Lions without 2 of their 3 best players on opening night doesn't seem that consequential 

Every game is consequential. One game was the difference between KC having the 1 seed and the Bills having the 1 seed last year and the year before. Not too mention our game is a double banger because its Divisional.  Obviously, I am not going to jump off a ledge if we lose but the game is important.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s definitely part of it.  No doubt.  I just need to see this OL in action before I can vouch for it.  

another reason for my initial comment, “that the jets D is better suited to stop our run then our D is to stop their run” is Terrel Bernard.  I’m legit worried about him be the target of our opposition on a weekly basis.  He hasn’t played in weeks and has very little experience.  Like the OL, I’ll believe it when I see it.  

Seriously 

Just like last season gave us a measuring stick on how last season would end?  

things change.  Some team improve.  Some teams get worse.  Injuries happen. Players come back from injury.  All in all, it’s one of 17 Sundays and only gives us a glimpse of what the season might look like.

the bengals were 0-2 with losses to Arizona at home and @ the giants last season

Those game didn’t tell didn’t tell us much of anything 

Your point is good, but the Bengals lost to the Steelers week 1 in the craziest game and then to the Cooper Rush Cowboys in week 2. The games you cite are preseason games. They also lost to the Ravens 19-17 in week 5 where Burrow looked lost and to the Browns 32-13 in week 8. But then they went into the bye week, everyone stayed in Cincinnati, and they installed a quicker offense to account for the poor OL play. They didn't lose again until the AFC CG.

FWIW, everyone here likes to talk about Zach Taylor outcoaching McDermott, but the entire city of Cincinnati wanted him fired after the week 5 loss to Baltimore. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Your point is good, but the Bengals lost to the Steelers week 1 in the craziest game and then to the Cooper Rush Cowboys in week 2. The games you cite are preseason games. They also lost to the Ravens 19-17 in week 5 where Burrow looked lost and to the Browns 32-13 in week 8. But then they went into the bye week, everyone stayed in Cincinnati, and they installed a quicker offense to account for the poor OL play. They didn't lose again until the AFC CG.

FWIW, everyone here likes to talk about Zach Taylor outcoaching McDermott, but the entire city of Cincinnati wanted him fired after the week 5 loss to Baltimore. 

Oops…. Thanks.  My point still strands and I remember thinking it odd that people were down on the bengals because they lost a tough game

46 minutes ago, Success said:

Doesn't seem like a lot of media people are going w/ the Bills on this one.

It's a hard one to pick - as a lot of week 1 games are every season. But I just have a feeling that the frustration from the Cincy game combined w/ the Jets hype all offseason is going to lead to a pretty comfy Bills victory.

Yeah, that's what I have thought about since basically the day after that loss and still fresh on their minds now.

I'm glad you pointed that out too, it's something that I feel many may not be taking into consideration 

• Like (+1) 1

McD better be prepared to deal with a super hyped/ super aggressive defense, especially if their on offense first. Jets will test the refs early to see how much physicality they can get away with, and if last night is any indication how refs are influenced by atmosphere it'll be a long night. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

McD better be prepared to deal with a super hyped/ super aggressive defense, especially if their on offense first. Jets will test the refs early to see how much physicality they can get away with, and if last night is any indication how refs are influenced by atmosphere it'll be a long night. 

This is a good post.  I don't think coaches prepare for this nearly as much as they should.....

and you can bet our defense won't bother trying to see what we can get away with. Sigh 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m excited about the prospects of running with 12 personnel, but I don’t know if swapping Kincaid in for a WR is going to make THAT much of a difference.  The jets DL is what makes their run d formindabke vs our O imo. 

I think the pass protection is more of a concern though, no?

Jets run defence was apparently pretty mediocre/average last year.

Where they excel is getting after the passer with only 4 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yeah, teams have more trouble passing in them, so they tend to run more.  They gave up a lot more rushing yards than we did, but they played in one less game and gave up less yards per rush than we did. Their DL is formidable in all aspects

• Agree 2

Not gonna lie, I am curious to see what Aaron Rodgers has left in the tank.  He is a future Hall of Famer, and yes he is old, but that is still not someone to taken lightly.

He'll be tough competition for the team on Monday, as would anyone of his stature.  Go Bills, but for that matter, go all of us.

In a way, each of us has an Aaron Rodgers to face. For some, shyness might be their Aaron Rodgers. For others, a lack of education might be their Aaron Rodgers. For us, Aaron Rodgers is a four time NFL MVP who wants to bash the Bills secondary's heads in. But, as sure as my name is Dollars 2 Donuts, the Buffalo Bills can conquer their own personal Aaron Rodgers, who also happens to be *the actual* Aaron Rodgers!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

The two are not unrelated.  When a DL excels at the pass rush, it sometimes happens they lose gap integrity and give up runs.

The problem the Bills had, is since they weren't doing much in the run game the Jets DL just pinned their ears back and went at it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

The two are not unrelated.  When a DL excels at the pass rush, it sometimes happens they lose gap integrity and give up runs.

The problem the Bills had, is since they weren't doing much in the run game the Jets DL just pinned their ears back and went at it.

Do they play the wide 9 under Salah?

I can’t remember at the top of my head 

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Not gonna lie, I am curious to see what Aaron Rodgers has left in the tank.  He is a future Hall of Famer, and yes he is old, but that is still not someone to taken lightly.

He'll be tough competition for the team on Monday, as would anyone of his stature.  Go Bills, but for that matter, go all of us.

In a way, each of us has an Aaron Rodgers to face. For some, shyness might be their Aaron Rodgers. For others, a lack of education might be their Aaron Rodgers. For us, Aaron Rodgers is a four time NFL MVP who wants to bash the Bills secondary's heads in. But, as sure as my name is Dollars 2 Donuts, the Buffalo Bills can conquer their own personal Aaron Rodgers, who also happens to be *the actual* Aaron Rodgers!

Go Bills!

So, your Philosophy 101 class is going well?  😉  I like your analogy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Do they play the wide 9 under Salah?

I can’t remember at the top of my head 

Salah most definitely ran the wide-9 in San Francisco as DC.  What Jeff Ulbrich is doing as his DC can't 100% tell you (or even if he's actual DC or DC in name only) but I think they do.  Found articles about how their DE are ideally suited for same.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

You'd learn more accurate info if instead placing that measuring stick starting at the base or balls (which ever preferred) to know if your more /less than average.

That's the only thing that measuring stick is good for 

Idiotic post. 

I stand by what I said. Many are really taking what I said out of context. 

Apparently, you can't comprehend where I said it's just one game of a long season. No need to overact. Care to comment on that? 

Does anyone have issues with there will be good and bad things the Bills can learn from the game? I said that too! 

We fans have a lot to look forward to in this game. Lots of unanswered questions. Lots of unknowns. For example, how will the McD d be? Will it be more aggressive? How will the Oline do? Will Dorsey run different schemes? Run more? How will the newly added WRs do? Kincaid, Cook, Torrence, etc...

This first game is pretty big from a phycological point of view. The Bills are the champs and being chased and hunted. It could be a trend setting game. This game is one game but it's also more than one game. A Bills loss of course doesn't mean gloom and doom. 

I used the term measuring stick. Clearly folks ran with it and took it out of context. Let me clarify. This game should tell us a lot about Torrence and Kincaid. How big of a learning curve is there? Was the coaching staff's game planning, adjustments, and play calling solid? Did the Oline gel? How did MLB Bernard look? You can fill in your own question...

To imply this game is meaningless, has no impact on the season going forward, can't be used to evaluate players, coaches, schemes, rookies, etc is pretty naive. That's what I meant when I used the word measuring stick. 

Hope that clarifies things. 

26 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Idiotic post. 

I stand by what I said. Many are really taking what I said out of context. 

Apparently, you can't comprehend where I said it's just one game of a long season. No need to overact. Care to comment on that? 

Does anyone have issues with there will be good and bad things the Bills can learn from the game? I said that too! 

We fans have a lot to look forward to in this game. Lots of unanswered questions. Lots of unknowns. For example, how will the McD d be? Will it be more aggressive? How will the Oline do? Will Dorsey run different schemes? Run more? How will the newly added WRs do? Kincaid, Cook, Torrence, etc...

This first game is pretty big from a phycological point of view. The Bills are the champs and being chased and hunted. It could be a trend setting game. This game is one game but it's also more than one game. A Bills loss of course doesn't mean gloom and doom. 

I used the term measuring stick. Clearly folks ran with it and took it out of context. Let me clarify. This game should tell us a lot about Torrence and Kincaid. How big of a learning curve is there? Was the coaching staff's game planning, adjustments, and play calling solid? Did the Oline gel? How did MLB Bernard look? You can fill in your own question...

To imply this game is meaningless, has no impact on the season going forward, can't be used to evaluate players, coaches, schemes, rookies, etc is pretty naive. That's what I meant when I used the word measuring stick. 

Hope that clarifies things. 

I was referring to the specific statement only you posted that said, "fans will get a good measuring stick of Bills team from week 1".

There's no way to base anything off any team from week 1. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.