Excellent Locked on Bills podcast today 8/30

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Marino dives into Beanes’ presser, additions of Ifedi & Kirksey and his excited outlook for this season. 
Enjoy!

Chandman, thanks for sharing.  I only had time to listen to the Ifedi portion, but he made some good points we have LT backup in vander whatever, Edwards and Bates for the inside.  It’s not optimal as a left and right backup not the same guy, but that’s fine.

BTW- Chand let’s finally get that game together for the Fish on 10/1.  We can DM.  If anyone else is around Orlando, we can have a mini TBD get together.  Not too many 1pm games to plan.

Marino is really good.  A little too defense-obsessed for my liking, but overall he does a great job. 

Good breakdown of Ifedi, and it’s interesting that we seem to be going with a LT backup and RT backup, as opposed to the “swing tackle”… I don’t hate it. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Chandman, thanks for sharing.  I only had time to listen to the Ifedi portion, but he made some good points we have LT backup in vander whatever, Edwards and Bates for the inside.  It’s not optimal as a left and right backup not the same guy, but that’s fine.

BTW- Chand let’s finally get that game together for the Fish on 10/1.  We can DM.  If anyone else is around Orlando, we can have a mini TBD get together.  Not too many 1pm games to plan.

The key part, will be gameday roster mgt. 

Joe didn't touch on this, but we typically dress 8 OL.  If we stay true to that, it's likely VanDemark, Ifedi, and one of Bates/Edwards/Anderson dressing. 

It's a nice problem to have, as injuries will likely come at some point.  But to start the year, it will be interesting to see.  Ifedi has RG/RT versatility, as Joe alluded to.  VandeMark only LT (but likely working hard throughout season at RT too), and my guess would be Bates (who can play any IOL position, T in a true emergency).

Joe did a great job summarizing Beanes key takeaways, from presser.   Most interesting comment was when Beane was asked which player(s) stood out at TC to him....his response was Rapp/Groot. I've been beating the drum for dime or big nickel, wondering if his comment (on Rapp) is any indication.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

The key part, will be gameday roster mgt. 

Joe didn't touch on this, but we typically dress 8 OL.  If we stay true to that, it's likely VanDemark, Ifedi, and one of Bates/Edwards/Anderson dressing. 

It's a nice problem to have, as injuries will likely come at some point.  But to start the year, it will be interesting to see.  Ifedi has RG/RT versatility, as Joe alluded to.  VandeMark only LT (but likely working hard throughout season at RT too), and my guess would be Bates (who can play any IOL position, T in a true emergency).

Joe did a great job summarizing Beanes key takeaways, from presser.   Most interesting comment was when Beane was asked which player(s) stood out at TC to him....his response was Rapp/Groot. I've been beating the drum for dime or big nickel, wondering if his comment (on Rapp) is any indication.

‘I knew the problem and appreciate the logistics on dressing 8.  I still think it was a creative solution as you can have Vandemark, Bates/Edwards, and Ifedi dressed.  Meaning you have to pick who’s your interior backup.  You can’t have both.  Losing two interior guys on the fly in a game is rare.  If happens, the outside have spot duty that could get us through it.

I can’t speak to the rest as I plan to listen to the rest of the cast tomorrow morning.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

‘I knew the problem and appreciate the logistics on dressing 8.  I still think it was a creative solution as you can have Vandemark, Bates/Edwards, and Ifedi dressed.  Meaning you have to pick who’s your interior backup.  You can’t have both.  Losing two interior guys on the fly in a game is rare.  If happens, the outside have spot duty that could get us through it.

I can’t speak to the rest as I plan to listen to the rest of the cast tomorrow morning.

Sorry, rereading my post...meant to have that come across as agreeing with you...but totally didn't...my bad

I agree with your take!

Joe's podcasts are typically a great listen, thx for sharing @Chandler#81

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure about Ifedi....I know he brings experience which this organization values....curious what happens at RT as the season goes.  Best case is Brown locks it down but that might not happen.

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I'm a fan of disguised coverage 

I could not find it.

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Not sure about Ifedi....I know he brings experience which this organization values....curious what happens at RT as the season goes.  Best case is Brown locks it down but that might not happen.

I could not find it.

it's a cover 1 pod

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

#1 Bills Podcast IMO 

c'mon??? Better than Cover 1 stuff? I havent checked this out, but i have a really hard time buying that. Cover 1 just has so many more resources, and depth of coverages. Can do deep dives with Erik, starting to get a bunch of Bills player interviews, then their are more surface level episodes of just regular coverage

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Marino's good. I wish he'd interview people though. The format is also a bit formulaic. But his takes are solid and balanced and I always learn something. 

Yea I agree, he needs to interview people, discussions are always better.  Good podcast but can’t take listening to Joe Mariano’s voice. Why can’t he just talk like a normal person??? Enough with the theatrics Sports Center voice. It’s embarrassing. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, SCBills said:

Marino is really good.  A little too defense-obsessed for my liking, but overall he does a great job. 

Good breakdown of Ifedi, and it’s interesting that we seem to be going with a LT backup and RT backup, as opposed to the “swing tackle”… I don’t hate it. 

Being able to dress 8 helps.  Starting 5, Bates, Vandy and then a decision of Edwards or Ifedi.  Bates or Vandy could finish a game if necessary

if they go the Edwards route.  Not ideal like you said but not too terrible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.