Josh Allen is Playing football Saturday

BuffaloBillyG

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Romo and Vick are the ones who come to mind

Bridgewater had that terrible one but I don't know if he was considered a star

Those are the big ones. Also Bradford, Jordy Nelson, Etienne, and Dobbins come to mind. There's examples of players at every position. I'd agree that alot are not considered stars (QB's like Allen/etc), but losing any starter position before the games matter is a big reason not to play them for a Q and a half in a meaningless game. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m not sure that makes any sense. What is going all out?

He’ll play 10-15 snaps. What if he gets hurt practice like Joe Burrow or Teddy Bridgewater a few years ago? It’s football.

I wonder if there are any color blind football players who cannot recognize a red jersey in practice.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

SIT ALLEN UNTIL THE PLAYOFFS! 

Tom Brady use to play a lot in preseason. Belichick would get criticism. Brady got hurt the first series of the regular season one year.

I know fans hate losing a player in a preseason game but he can just as easily get hurt in practice.

The Old School approach was always to play your guys.  Parcells did it, Coughlin did it, Reid does it, Belichick does it.

I think that is the correct way in all honesty and technically the chance of getting hurt in practice is higher I imagine except for the actual contact part.  I hope he is in for a scoring drive and then gets out of there. Its always good for your starting offense to get some work on the road when you open the season on the road.  So working on communication from the OC calling plays to the QB and center making adjustments and changing protections...getting work on the road is a good thing.

The downside of playing your qb or star players is sometimes in the preseason younger guys want to get after these players to make a name for themselves in their locker rooms, I don't mean dirty play but just on a level that these players are not playing at yet.

again injuries can happen anytime.  Dan marino and vinny testaverde popped their achilles in week 1 and their teams were doomed years ago, they played in the preseason....Doug Free let a rusher (Cliff Avril) go free because he was beat and confused on the protection leading to Romo getting his twice surgically repaired back hammered in an awkward play costing him his season and his career to an inferior player.  So in that sense preseason can be scary.

Chances are Allen and the starters will play one or two drives if they do not score on the first one just to work on communication on the road to help prepare for week 1 in the meadowlands. 

We are staying at Embassy Suites right downtown (few blocks from market square) starting Fri night.   Any recommendations within walking distance?

FWIW Mike Tomlin said the steelers starters will play and will play for longer than they did last week which was one drive.

The Bills Offensive line better be on their p's and q's Saturday.  I am really looking forward to seeing how the right side of the line does vs Pittsburgh's front seven.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Name me 3 bubble guys that have injured a star QB in a pre-season game.

Funny, I don't remember saying it's happened before. I'm sure something similar has happened. Maybe not to "star" QB, but there's a first for everything and anything is possible in football. 

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

It's PRESEASON football. Don't need to get hurt in a meaningless game. On 9/11 when it is kicked off for real then play to win the game. 

25 million QBs should be protected with red shirts in preseason games.  It will happen someday.  

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I wonder if there are any color blind football players who cannot recognize a red jersey in practice.

Like the color blind game against the Jests.  I personally can’t stand the color rush.  Too much of one thing.  Red helmet cool.  Red over white cool.  The trad outfits cool.  No all blue or red.  White is the only one that is cool for me.

Besides if anyone really took a shot at Allen, Spencer would probably rip the guys head off.

Knowing that McDermott and Tomlin have some kind of relationship and have known one another since college, I have a feeling we'll see some pretty vanilla defenses this weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if McD and Tomlin discussed it and just said, hey we'll go easy if you do. 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Knowing that McDermott and Tomlin have some kind of relationship and have known one another since college, I have a feeling we'll see some pretty vanilla defenses this weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if McD and Tomlin discussed it and just said, hey we'll go easy if you do. 

Except McDermott takes pride in winning preseason games.  They probably established some gentleman rules but not rigged like commercial wrestling.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I really wish we would’ve played Allen vs the colts or the bears.

2 abysmal pass rushes.  Instead, we’re playing against a pretty fierce pass rush.  

I rather Allen practice against what he will face in regular season.  Part of his development is to make best decisions based on game situations that includes importance.  We know Josh is a Wiz at Passing so enjoy the fireworks he'll provide within the ģameplan.

Edited by AuntieEm

Just now, AuntieEm said:

I rather Allen practice against what he will face in regular season.  Part of his development is to make best decisions based on game situations that includes importance.  We know Josh is a Wiz at Passing so enjoy the fireworks.

Part of his development is also not getting destroyed.  I’m not a believer in Spencer Brown.  I’m a big believer in TJ watt.  

I hear what you’re saying.  Injuries scare me more than most, hence my feelings

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Part of his development is also not getting destroyed.  I’m not a believer in Spencer Brown.  I’m a big believer in TJ watt.  

I hear what you’re saying.  Injuries scare me more than most, hence my feelings

Indeed but if Spencer is still nursing any lingering injury then I'd think they would not have him play.

As well TJ is a star player as well and he's not gonna  go kamikaze on Allen in a meaningless ps game  either.

Edited by AuntieEm

1 minute ago, AuntieEm said:

Indeed but if Spencer is still nursing any lingering injury then I'd think they would not h a ve him play.

Riiiiiight…….

and then we have quessenberry or VanDermark blocking TJ watt.  Even more to my point. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.