GamePass international on DAZN

Dan Darragh

Anyone besides me watching from abroad on DAZN (the new platform for NFL GamePass)? 

It used to be we'd see the regular broadcast TV commercials on the old GamePass platform but now they've stripped out the commercials and given us boring, ugly graphics with a bad soundtrack that keeps repeating.  Never thought I'd miss the broadcast TV commercials but this is pretty awful. 

Yeah we discussed this yesterday in GTD with @GunnerBill and also with my local community. It's awful and everyone hates it.

There are also other things not working as they used to, e.g. I can't use Chromecast with DAZN so I can't watch on my (a little older) TV and have to use either desktop or tablet. But some people from local community already complained about other things which were fixed so I'll try to contact support.

Yep watching from Australia via Samsung TV app.  No “watch from beginning” button on the live broadcast is an issue that won’t be fixed unfortunately.  Only way to see a live game from the beginning is to open the live feed and rewind back to the start.  Bad luck if you don’t want to see the live scores - I’ll need to learn how to do this with my eyes closed.  Picture resolution has improved a lot from a month ago when it was complete and utter rubbish. 

Edited by Briscoe89

I only got an error message from the danz app that said that the video from the Bills game wasn't available.

It pisses me off because the NFL GamePass app always had problems, and I was really hoping things would finally straighten out.

There is also no download option. Which is gutting to me. It was one of the features I used the most. Wake up on say a Monday morning (when SNF wasn't the Bills) avoid the score download the condensed 40 minute version and watch on my tube journey to work. The commercial break soundtrack is absolutely ***** awful. By the end of last night I was muting every time there was a break. 

The menus are just atrocious as well. It looks like tech built in 2002. But there is no other option, sadly. We are stuck with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Briscoe89 said:

Yep watching from Australia via Samsung TV app.  No “watch from beginning” button on the live broadcast is an issue that won’t be fixed unfortunately.  Only way to see a live game from the beginning is to open the live feed and rewind back to the start.  Bad luck if you don’t want to see the live scores - I’ll need to learn how to do this with my eyes closed.  Picture resolution has improved a lot from a month ago when it was complete and utter rubbish. 

What? I loved coming in 70-90 minutes later. There are so much commercials that even taking a break myself at half-time, I was back to live by mid 4th quarter. And yes, it can be real hard not to see the score otherwise...

Why do they mess up a great thing?

Edited by Jerome007

There are some nice features, like being able to watch multiple games at the same time in a 4 screen-split. Unfortunately there is just too much negative to say about the app to recommend it. You cannot be logged in to more than 2 devices concurrently, the old gamepass allowed 3; you cannot have DAZN on multiple tvs and devices (ridiculous). I installed on my ipad, phone and apple TV, when I went to put the app on another TV in my house I was notified I had too many devices registered, this is just straight garbage.

Awful for me. Totally unacceptable.

Here in Japan, most of the games, when watched live, start at 3:00 a.m late Sunday night, or else 8:00 or 9:00 a.m. on Monday or Tuesday morning. 

So I can't watch them live, basically. I watch them archived after work. But their archived games are not the whole broadcast. They show nearly every play, though not all, but nearly all. But you get 8 or 9 second clips of each play, starting two seconds or so before the play starts and ending 5 or 6 seconds after the play ends. Ends up being a 25 minute long horrible viewing experience.

I sent them a bunch of emails telling them I was not going to sign up if this is what I got. They said they'd look into it. I asked them to get back to me. The next thing I heard they took the payment from my credit card. I told them I wanted the money back. They're returning it, but still won't tell me what the archived games will look like.

IMO a VPN and the American NFL Game Pass might be the way to go for me.

DAZN sucks.

16 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

What? I loved coming in 70-90 minutes later. There are so much commercials that even taking a break myself at half-time, I was back to live by mid 4th quarter. And yes, it can be real hard not to see the score otherwise...

Why do they mess up a great thing?

I think different devices have different options.  Read in another forum that Apple TV app has a watch from beginning button.  Samsung TV app definitely does not have one. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Awful for me. Totally unacceptable.

Here in Japan, most of the games, when watched live, start at 3:00 a.m late Sunday night, or else 8:00 or 9:00 a.m. on Monday or Tuesday morning. 

So I can't watch them live, basically. I watch them archived after work. But their archived games are not the whole broadcast. They show nearly every play, though not all, but nearly all. But you get 8 or 9 second clips of each play, starting two seconds or so before the play starts and ending 5 or 6 seconds after the play ends. Ends up being a 25 minute long horrible viewing experience.

I sent them a bunch of emails telling them I was not going to sign up if this is what I got. They said they'd look into it. I asked them to get back to me. The next thing I heard they took the payment from my credit card. I told them I wanted the money back. They're returning it, but still won't tell me what the archived games will look like.

IMO a VPN and the American NFL Game Pass might be the way to go for me.

DAZN sucks.

Never say never however I’d be surprised if they didn’t have full game replays once the regular season starts. 

I cancelled my Gamepass before DAZN could take my money. Preseason has always been free to watch live on Gamepass, so thought I'd see how DAZN handle things before handing over my money. Plus with the Bills being in prime time to start the year, their first game will be on Sky, so can get a discounted rate if signing up after the first week has been played. Or I should think. That's the way the old Gamepass worked but looking at sign up options, there literally is only 1 with DAZN, when the old gamepass had a few, including mobile only.

First impressions, it is awful comparitively to the old Gamepass, which I had used since moving to the UK for about 11 years now. I'm wondering if the holding screen on the adverts is only temporary, as most of the adverts will be local in preseason. Switched to a stream on NFL+ and they were doing same thing. It's like when they cut to local news breaks in game, and you didn't see that in Gamepass. Maybe it changes when the regular season starts.

Reading some things on Reddit, I'm not holding out hope of anything changing with DAZN. They have been the Gamepass provider for Canada for a couple years and people have said nothing has changed there. What people internationally have flagged, Canadian subscribers have said is the norm. What a disastor, as the old Gamepass had it's issues, which they did tend to sort out.

I wonder what week 1 will look like, considering Gamepass would regularly have issues with the increased bandwidth of people tuning in.

• Agree 1

This is horrible. I am in the US through September and then back to Germany where I’ve been watching Intl GamePass the last four years. With night games I often watch the next morning without reading the scores. I also loved seeing the American commercials which made me feel at home. 

Sounds like DAZN is a terrible service. Why did the heck did the NFL switch??

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am very much considering cancelling and asking for my money back. But then I am taking the chance on finding stable streams each week for the games online. 

I've just got a firestick with VPN removed tv channels on. Has multiple ways of watching NFL. I watched the Colts friendly with no problems. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ok - different devices have different options which is pretty stupid.  Apple TV has full game replay, and start from beginning option.  Samsung TV app had game in 40 and highlights only, no start from beginning option - need to hit the rewind button to get to the start.   In my case Samsung app has less features but more stable connection and better picture quality.  Apple TV more features but connection doesn’t seem as stable and picture a tad worse.  

Edited by Briscoe89
Update

23 minutes ago, Lost said:

Can you elaborate?

Yes. I have an amazon firestick which has an app on it which has more or less every television channel I could wish for. Including sports channels. The VPN has been made unrestricted so if an event is is being shown live somewhere in the world it will be shown on the app. I use it to watch Spanish soccer, NFL and cricket mainly. 

The subscription for the TV channels costs £70 a year. 

It might be legal. It might not be. 

57 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Yes. I have an amazon firestick which has an app on it which has more or less every television channel I could wish for. Including sports channels. The VPN has been made unrestricted so if an event is is being shown live somewhere in the world it will be shown on the app. I use it to watch Spanish soccer, NFL and cricket mainly. 

The subscription for the TV channels costs £70 a year. 

It might be legal. It might not be. 

Haha, it definitely isn't but more and more people are doing it. TV subscriptions is another example of where the capitalist lie that more competition is good for consumers is laid bare. Now if you are a sports fan in the UK following soccer, cricket, NFL, rugby union you need SKY, TNT, your NFL GamePass / DAZN, Prime.... and there will still be events not covered by those. Madness. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

There are some nice features, like being able to watch multiple games at the same time in a 4 screen-split. Unfortunately there is just too much negative to say about the app to recommend it. You cannot be logged in to more than 2 devices concurrently, the old gamepass allowed 3; you cannot have DAZN on multiple tvs and devices (ridiculous). I installed on my ipad, phone and apple TV, when I went to put the app on another TV in my house I was notified I had too many devices registered, this is just straight garbage.

How do you view the 4 way split screen? 

2 hours ago, Briscoe89 said:

Ok - different devices have different options which is pretty stupid.  Apple TV has full game replay, and start from beginning option.  Samsung TV app had game in 40 and highlights only, no start from beginning option - need to hit the rewind button to get to the start.   In my case Samsung app has less features but more stable connection and better picture quality.  Apple TV more features but connection doesn’t seem as stable and picture a tad worse.  

What do you mean when you say apple tv app and samsung tv app? It is all just the same DAZN app now for me on every device. I have a Samsung phone, an Apple Ipad and an LG TV and the DAZN app works the exact same crappy way on all 3.

No watch from start. No full game on demand. No game in 40 option. Just 5-6 mins of highlights per game. It really isn't worth the money.

Edited by GunnerBill

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha, it definitely isn't but more and more people are doing it. TV subscriptions is another example of where the capitalist lie that more competition is good for consumers is laid bare. Now if you are a sports fan in the UK following soccer, cricket, NFL, rugby union you need SKY, TNT, your NFL GamePass / DAZN, Prime.... and there will still be events not covered by those. Madness. 

Aye, it was starting to really mount up on the wallet. Need Viaplay Sports for La Liga or subscription to La Liga TV. I'd had enough and just got the stick. 

It even has National League TV. I didn't get home from holiday in time on Saturday to get to City's game but managed to watch it on the tele. Downside being with it being a stream it's 30 seconds or so delayed getting to the screen. The ground is half a mile from my house and could hear the crowd. Not that much happened! 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Briscoe89 said:

I think different devices have different options.  Read in another forum that Apple TV app has a watch from beginning button.  Samsung TV app definitely does not have one. 

Never say never however I’d be surprised if they didn’t have full game replays once the regular season starts. 

I gave them chance after chance to say they would. They got back to me over and over again and never said so.

Further, I went back and looked at last year's archived games on DAZN, and they were ABSOLUTELY NOT full game replays.

I'd love to be wrong on this, but I really don't think I am.

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I gave them chance after chance to say they would. They got back to me over and over again and never said so.

Further, I went back and looked at last year's archived games on DAZN, and they were ABSOLUTELY NOT full game replays.

I'd love to be wrong on this, but I really don't think I am.

You are not. They have confirmed it to me today. I am demanding my money back. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have just used DAZN's help function asked if full game replay, 40 min condensed versions, ability to download and watch offline are going to be addressed.

They have confirmed that they are not. That's "all we have for the moment" is the answer. 

Thanks. I had spent a bunch of time on there and they wouldn't give me specific answers. You must be better with people than I.

Oh, and damn.

I have an address in the states I can use to sign up for the US version of GamePass, three sisters have US residences. I can almost certainly sign up with them at one of those addresses and then use my VPN, $10 a month, to access that. 

Wonder how some of you without U.S. addresses would do in signing up for US GamePass? Could you use a real address that you don't actually belong at? The Empire State Building, for instance? Or a mail forwarding service or something? Or can you actually sign up even without a US address? Good luck to all.

Wonder if I would do better with one of those fire sticks some of you are mentioning. Sounds like they are illegal? EDIT: ah, with a bit of research it seems that it just allows you to join streaming services? Not access them without paying? Hmm. I generally watch TV on my computer which has a fairly big screen. The quality for NFL GamePass was very nice maybe 99.8% of the time. Wonder how US GamePass will look over the VPN. Haven't had quality problems with overseas Netflix streaming. Hopefully it will work out OK for me. 

I know with the overseas GamePass I always had Coaches Film three days or so after the game. Have heard that last year US GamePass had greatly limited some stuff like this. But that it was about 1/3 of the price for International.

Anyway, thanks for the legwork, Bill.

Edited by Thurman#1

I actually think it is unlawful. They have rolled over a subscription from one service to reduced service without communicating any of that reduction of service in advance. 

I can't speak about other jurisdictions but in the UK that is at the very least a breach of contract and at worst could potentially be fraud by misrepresentation because in UK law the misrepresentation doesn't have to be explicit it can be implied. The email that the NFL sent to me on 23rd June says "We're also giving you everything from your Season Pro at last season's prices." That, simply, is a misrepresentation. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually think it is unlawful. They have rolled over a subscription from one service to reduced service without communicating any of that reduction of service in advance. 

I can't speak about other jurisdictions but in the UK that is at the very least a breach of contract and at worst could potentially be fraud by misrepresentation because in UK law the misrepresentation doesn't have to be explicit it can be implied. The email that the NFL sent to me on 23rd June says "We're also giving you everything from your Season Pro at last season's prices." That, simply, is a misrepresentation. 

Yes, DAZN’s (many) emails to me said the same. This is an outrage. It wasn’t broken!

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only thing they have to watch back at the moment is 5 minute highlight packages of each pre-season game. This seriously sucks. 

Game Pass wasn't perfect but this is utterly woeful.

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have just used DAZN's help function asked if full game replay, 40 min condensed versions, ability to download and watch offline are going to be addressed.

They have confirmed that they are not. That's "all we have for the moment" is the answer. 

Are you implying by these posts that you only can watch 5min highlights? I am almost sure it's not true. The other options are just hidden a little. I don't have my tablet with me but you need to click on "highlights" or something and other options show up. There are 40min version as well as full version (not sure if cut without breaks as it us to be, I have lovely full version yesterday and didn't check today).

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I have an address in the states I can use to sign up for the US version of GamePass, three sisters have US residences. I can almost certainly sign up with them at one of those addresses and then use my VPN, $10 a month, to access that. 

Wonder how some of you without U.S. addresses would do in signing up for US GamePass? Could you use a real address that you don't actually belong at? The Empire State Building, for instance? Or a mail forwarding service or something? Or can you actually sign up even without a US address? Good luck to all.

Wonder if I would do better with one of those fire sticks some of you are mentioning. Sounds like they are illegal? 

Anyway, thanks for the legwork, Bill.

dont get your hopes up, unless im wrong and the main reason so many US based people was using game pass international is because the US based gamepass, now known as NFL+ only shows local market regular season, primetime and playoff games.

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Are you implying by these posts that you only can watch 5min highlights? I am almost sure it's not true. The other options are just hidden a little. I don't have my tablet with me but you need to click on "highlights" or something and other options show up. There are 40min version as well as full version (not sure if cut without breaks as it us to be, I have lovely full version yesterday and didn't check today).

Yep. If you have found a way to access the rest I haven't. And when I asked them DAZN said they were not coming? But feel free to respond when you have your tablet on how you navigated through. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. If you have found a way to access the rest I haven't. And when I asked them DAZN said they were not coming? But feel free to respond when you have your tablet on how you navigated through. 

Whoa hang on I have just found it..... you were right @No_Matter_What - they are there. when the 5 minute highlight video starts click the white word "highlights" in the top right corner of the play screen and it drops down the other two options. 

Seems you know the product better than DAZN tech support 😆. Oh well. It's just downloads I lose then. And while that sucks, I can live with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ok, I'll get back to you once I get home, probably in hour and half or so.

But I really think you just didn't find it. It is not intuitive, I didn't see it either until friend of mine told me where to click. So unless there is a difference between UK version and my Slovak version you should really have it.

Edit: Glad you found it. Now we can focus on contacting support with other things which still suck - like DAZN not working with Chromecast as GP used to...

Edited by No_Matter_What

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.