Astro’s TC Report 7/27

Jerry Jabber

5 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Not actually Astro today as he wasn’t able to get a ticket for TC today. Astro’s friend, Joe, filled in nicely today with a good TC report:

https://buffalofambase.com/2023/07/27/training-camp-notes-thursday-july-27th/

The part that struck me is this:

After years of daily AstroNotes from Fisher on the Bills Mafia/BuffaloFAMbase website, it’s sad to say there may be gaps this year’s coverage. The ticket situation has become very difficult to work around, but we’ll do our best. Dean and I both live 5-10 minutes from Fisher, so if circumstances arise that you have an extra ticket or two for a practice, let us know, and we can continue to offer a different and thorough perspective of what’s happening on the field. And we promise to stay out of the Autograph and Italian Ice lines.

I live 800+ miles away and have no tickets, but if anyone else does, wow, you would be a fan benefactor to help these guys out.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you look at the film from last year, a lot of the short stuff was open but Josh decided to take shots down the field.

Burrow put on a clinic the first two drives of the playoff game of taking what the defense gives you so maybe Josh will be more willing to take the short stuff this year to keep the chains moving.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

If you look at the film from last year, a lot of the short stuff was open but Josh decided to take shots down the field.

Burrow put on a clinic the first two drives of the playoff game of taking what the defense gives you so maybe Josh will be more willing to take the short stuff this year to keep the chains moving.

Just a note here that while I agree with you about short stuff being open and Josh deciding to take shots.....

....to be fair, we don't know how the play was designed to be read.  I have been told a lot of Daboll's plays (and maybe Dorseys) were designed to be read deep to short.

That said, there have been games where Josh did a masterful job of taking the short stuff and carving up the D.  Wins at LA and at KC would be two examples.  So I don't know why he got away from it.

Not on training camp per se, but Astro put out a nice piece about what he saw initially from all the WR

https://buffalofambase.com/2023/07/27/early-look-at-bills-depth-chart-offensive-playmakers/

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Just a note here that while I agree with you about short stuff being open and Josh deciding to take shots.....

....to be fair, we don't know how the play was designed to be read.  I have been told a lot of Daboll's plays (and maybe Dorseys) were designed to be read deep to short.

That said, there have been games where Josh did a masterful job of taking the short stuff and carving up the D.  Wins at LA and at KC would be two examples.  So I don't know why he got away from it.

Not on training camp per se, but Astro put out a nice piece about what he saw initially from all the WR

https://buffalofambase.com/2023/07/27/early-look-at-bills-depth-chart-offensive-playmakers/

The road game at New England late in 2021 was a perfect example of this.  It was the game where McKenzie started in place of Beasley and had a huge game.  Check out the drive chart from the Bills' first scoring drive (pasted below).  A masterful drive, controlling the clock, moving methodically down the field, taking what the defense gave them.  THIS is what we need to see more of.  If a team can move the ball like this, keep taking it, but if the defense creeps up to take away the short stuff, it opens up things downfield.  The Bills should have the personnel to do this.

TOUCHDOWN 13 PLAYS, 61 YARDS, 6:57

BUF7

NE0

1st & 10 at BUF 39

(13:34 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short right to S.Diggs (J.Jackson).

2nd & 10 at BUF 39

(13:27 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short left to D.Singletary pushed ob at 50 for 11 yards (K.Dugger).

1st & 10 at 50

(12:52 - 1st) T.Doyle reported in as eligible. D.Singletary up the middle to NE 47 for 3 yards (J.Bentley).

2nd & 7 at NE 47

(12:10 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short middle to D.Singletary to NE 39 for 8 yards (D.Hightower).

1st & 10 at NE 39

(11:21 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Singletary up the middle to NE 36 for 3 yards (L.Guy; D.Godchaux).

2nd & 7 at NE 36

(10:44 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left. thrown away from outside the pocket

3rd & 7 at NE 36

(10:37 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to I.McKenzie to NE 29 for 7 yards (M.Bryant).

1st & 10 at NE 29

(9:40 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen left tackle to NE 24 for 5 yards (D.McCourty).

2nd & 5 at NE 24

(9:06 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short middle to J.Kumerow to NE 11 for 13 yards (D.Hightower).

1st & 10 at NE 11

(8:04 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to D.Singletary to NE 4 for 7 yards (A.Phillips, J.Bentley).

2nd & 3 at NE 4

(7:32 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen left guard to NE 3 for 1 yard (D.Godchaux; A.Phillips).

3rd & 2 at NE 3

(6:48 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left to S.Diggs [L.Guy].

(6:43 - 1st) Timeout #1 by BUF at 06:43.

4th & 2 at NE 3

(6:37 - 1st) Isaiah McKenzie Pass From Josh Allen for 3 Yrds T.Bass extra point is GOOD, Center-R.Ferguson, Holder-M.Haack.

Edited by msw2112

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

There appears to be a lot of interceptions in dropped passes this year more so it seems in previous years, but I’d rather get that out-of-the-way in training camp

Interceptions, off target, drops, and tips. 2 to Diggs in 2 days I believe. But it sounds like all things Davis, Knox, and Kincade are going well with some splashes from Shakir and Sherfield. 

On 7/27/2023 at 5:33 PM, Charles Romes said:

That substitute writer really got to the point.  I was reading reading and bam the report was over.  I like the emphasis on the short passing game. Allen could be the greatest dink and dunker in league history because he can destroy you long any play. 

Indeed which is why the continues upgrading of the OL is and should be a priority for the rest of Josh's  career.  The better they build it the longer Allen can play and he will win multiple SBs as Bills QB.

13 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Whether you believe it or not, it has been said that his injury to his UCL could have caused the change in how he threw on the short/intermediate stuff compared to the long ball.

That could have been a reason for the change if true.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Whether you believe it or not, it has been said that his injury to his UCL could have caused the change in how he threw on the short/intermediate stuff compared to the long ball.

That could have been a reason for the change if true.

Well, I'm probably the one who said it, based on what Josh said in a segment of Kyle Brandt's Basement that it forced him back to an overhead, lateral throwing motion instead of the rotational throwing motion he developed that improved his accuracy

But I'm not sure that's all there is to it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.