Do you golf?

EmotionallyUnstable

I started playing pretty regularly about 10 years ago, and love it.

Mostly try to play 9 holes (walking) at least once per week, and mostly at Public courses, though I will get out to some buddies’ nice country clubs too.

what’s amazing is that I feel like i have gotten so much better, and yet my scores pretty much stay the same!!  Usually shoot like low or mid-90s over 18. I think that is like a 20-ish handicap. Just so hard to put everything together in a round! 

I have always wanted to get into it but also can't stand it and get bored with even putt putting. It's not exerting enough, distracting enough, and too slow.

I don't think I'll ever appreciate it. To me it's like fishing: a waste of time.

This post isn't to degrade or insult it - just express my frustration that it is something I'd like to try, get into, experience but cannot.

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

I have always wanted to get into it but also can't stand it and get bored with even putt putting. It's not exerting enough, distracting enough, and too slow.

I don't think I'll ever appreciate it. To me it's like fishing: a waste of time.

This post isn't to degrade or insult it - just express my frustration that it is something I'd like to try, get into, experience but cannot.

Pair that with cost, as well as the fact it takes a lot of practice to be even remotely decent, I get it. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

@Miyagi-Do Karate

Keeping it under 100 is the goal on 18 for me. I love to play but can’t get out much cuz the family obligations and such. When I do, I like to ride. Walking is about 1000% harder but obv a better work out 

Yeah, if I can shoot like a 90-95, that is a great round for me. But I am happy anywhere in the 90s.

I hear you on the family obligations. To take that into account, I normally play only 9, and try to do it on weekday mornings before work (like around 6:30 am). Or if on a weekend, then like at 6 PM. Can’t waste 4+ hours in the middle of a weekend day. 

29 minutes ago, boyst said:

what is amazing about golf though is the mechanics of the game and how varied it is. You have to have great mechanics and even understand a lot of the science behind it. But then you have to develop so many types of skills, like touch around the green, but power elsewhere. 

And one of the reasons I walk when I play (most of the time) is for the exercise. I walk some hilly courses with my heart rate monitor on. Walking 9 on a hilly course is like over 4 Miles and I can burn between 800-1000 calories. So you can exert yourself, if you want. 

59 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yeah, if I can shoot like a 90-95, that is a great round for me. But I am happy anywhere in the 90s.

I hear you on the family obligations. To take that into account, I normally play only 9, and try to do it on weekday mornings before work (like around 6:30 am). Or if on a weekend, then like at 6 PM. Can’t waste 4+ hours in the middle of a weekend day. 

what is amazing about golf though is the mechanics of the game and how varied it is. You have to have great mechanics and even understand a lot of the science behind it. But then you have to develop so many types of skills, like touch around the green, but power elsewhere. 

And one of the reasons I walk when I play (most of the time) is for the exercise. I walk some hilly courses with my heart rate monitor on. Walking 9 on a hilly course is like over 4 Miles and I can burn between 800-1000 calories. So you can exert yourself, if you want. 

i would appreciate the exertion, surely. i walk 3-4 miles at llunch every day. take a 1-2 mile walk every evening with the family. mountain bike weekly 15ish+ miles. exercise 6 days a week for 90 minutes. swim laps at least once a week. with 30 minutes of yoga/mobility a night. the time to learn to golf would take away from this just to walk to my ball 3 hit errantly from the tee. :D

i burn 3,500-4000 calories a day, 1500-2000 in activity a day.

pre back injury i included running 40 miles a week with a 14-16 mile run on sunday mornings. prebaby i climbed twice a week, as well.

Edited by boyst

1 hour ago, boyst said:

i would appreciate the exertion, surely. i walk 3-4 miles at llunch every day. take a 1-2 mile walk every evening with the family. mountain bike weekly 15ish+ miles. exercise 6 days a week for 90 minutes. swim laps at least once a week. with 30 minutes of yoga/mobility a night. the time to learn to golf would take away from this just to walk to my ball 3 hit errantly from the tee. :D

i burn 3,500-4000 calories a day, 1500-2000 in activity a day.

pre back injury i included running 40 miles a week with a 14-16 mile run on sunday mornings. prebaby i climbed twice a week, as well.

Let me try one more time! 😁

I think you actually would really like golf based on what you said, and depending on your mindset. For me, it’s no different than walking and enjoying nature. That’s why I love walking the course and doing it early morning. It’s basically walking and enjoying the outdoors, along with the challenges of golfing. 

I sort of use it too as a way to vary my exercise. I play pickup bball three times per week, as my main exercise.  But if I can golf once and play tennis another time (and maybe throw in yoga and a bike ride here or there), it’s just a nice variety. 

okay— have I convinced you?! 

• Like (+1) 1

I love golf season.  It's right up there with football season for me as my favorite times of the year.  I'm usually able to get out once a week if not twice for a full round of 18.  I play all over WNY throughout the season and make a few Rochester/PA area trips 2 or 3 times a season as well.  Gives me my sports fix during the offseason for the Bills and Sabres

I've probably played 10 times or so in my life.  I always found being out on the golf course, itself, to be very enjoyable.  The landscaping end of it.  The game itself always struck me as a ridiculously boring waste of time.  I know a zillion people seem to love this game; I don't get it.

The only thing I don't get even more, is WATCHING other people play golf on TV.  I literally can't fathom why someone would do that.

Funny thing is I now live in SE FL and am surrounded by golf courses, clubs, and housing communities on golf courses.

For a while we lived near the 7th hole on a golf course.  LOL

I do but about once or twice a year and I have kind of run out of people to play with now cos of the couple of groups I used to go with pretty much everyone else is now committed and plays much more regularly than me. I find it less fun I'll be honest, when I am like 15-20 shots off the pace. I just don't have enough time to play as much as I'd like to in order to get to the level where I'd want to make time to play more. 

That said we went from work and played 9 holes one evening in May and I beat an Aussie guy in my team who takes it uber seriously and was bigging up how good he is in advance. That was pretty sweet. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Let me try one more time! 😁

I think you actually would really like golf based on what you said, and depending on your mindset. For me, it’s no different than walking and enjoying nature. That’s why I love walking the course and doing it early morning. It’s basically walking and enjoying the outdoors, along with the challenges of golfing. 

I sort of use it too as a way to vary my exercise. I play pickup bball three times per week, as my main exercise.  But if I can golf once and play tennis another time (and maybe throw in yoga and a bike ride here or there), it’s just a nice variety. 

okay— have I convinced you?! 

If it's as frustrating as putt putt; the slow wait 20 minutes between the operation, etc then i can't take it seriously. It would be just a hobby with friends, and then I just couldn't motivate myself to care or spend the money. 

Not trying to be a stick in the mud. I just can't even bring myself to try. 🤮

I’ve lived on three different golf courses, but never took it seriously as tennis was much more my thing. My most serious year I golfed maybe 15-20 times and I became somewhat consistent in my mediocrity. Lessons as a kid stuck with me a little bit I think, and we got the kids lessons at a young age. Our youngest son married into a golfing family (as in his in-laws golf daily) and he’s pretty good. 

A guy who worked for me had a buddy who was involved in the PGA tournament that happens on Hilton Head every year. With him you could go to any golf course in the area and walk on for free without a tee time regardless of how busy they were. Pretty awesome! 

I would sneak in 9 holes after work that “busy year” at a fairly straight forward course and typically shoot in the 43-45 range which I was very happy with. I couldn’t break 100 now if my life depended upon it. The wife and son got me new clubs 4-5 years ago and I think I’ve used them twice. I got the wife clubs too, but she still works and there never seems to be time and she hates the summer heat. It seems like a great thing to do together, but it just never happens. We do enjoy Top Golf near us from time to time. 

How did they decide on 18 holes? I find that when I finish 9 holes I still have some interest, but generally by the 12th hole or so I’m just looking for the beer cart lady. 🍺 I think 12 is a good number! 

• Like (+1) 1

We had an artificial putting green put in the back yard and a spot to hit into a net to practice full swings. I find that going out and doing that is easier to keep the swing and other things in form without having to go spend hours on a course. Granted you cant practice everything that you will need to do on the course (like inside 100 yards etc) but driving and putting dont get rusty.

I had only played once before going on my buddys golf trip that we do every year, nobody would believe me when I said I was like a 20 handicap (I shot 97 my time out before I went)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.