Hollywood is collapsing

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

lol, those still exist?

Yup--there's one near my house.  Listen, we don't agree on much, but if this COLLAPSE occurs, I'll send you a couple movies (PG13 max) as I don't plan on returning anything.  Every good apocalypse movie suggests one of the first things to go is the large metal box with DVDs in it.  Zombie stand, temporary jail, whatever, they come in handy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Yup--there's one near my house.  Listen, we don't agree on much, but if this COLLAPSE occurs, I'll send you a couple movies (PG13 max) as I don't plan on returning anything.  Every good apocalypse movie suggests one of the first things to go is the large metal box with DVDs in it.  Zombie stand, temporary jail, whatever, they come in handy. 

Deal - but don't forget - I'm quite certain we are both passionate about the Buffalo Bills; otherwise, we wouldn't be here.

22 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Deal - but don't forget - I'm quite certain we are both passionate about the Buffalo Bills; otherwise, we wouldn't be here.

On that, we agree.  Generally, though his is 3 times in the past ten days we almost agree, 4 if you count agreeing on Red Box still being around.  

These are breakthrough moments, for reelz. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Step 1: introduce legacy character/ franchise to gain nostolgia/interest from franchises with built in audience

Step 2: make legacy characters old useless

Step 3: introduce new "exciting" character to take worn out characters place. Base character on identity politics. Make new character endowed from god with all gifts and beyond of old useless without much effort.

Step 4: explain to audience why this formula should be embraced. Make identity politics as a key factor in changes so if changes are not embraced it is due to the fanbase of bigots and not poor writing and storytelling. 

Step 5: watch bombing take place

Step 6: yell at bigots for bombing

Step 7: repeat.

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 7/19/2023 at 5:40 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

He continued: “The truth is, this [Hollywood] is a huge business both domestically and for world export.… These conditions will potentially produce an absolute collapse of an entire industry.”

Well, if true Oppenheimer is a pretty fitting ending I guess. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Nolte: ‘Indiana Jones 5’ a ‘Disaster of Epic Proportions’ for Disney

Dial of Destiny “could potentially rival John Carter as the Mouse House’s worst-ever live-action commercial bomb,” continues the report, “and call into question the future of [Lucasfilm] boss Kathleen Kennedy, a former Fortune Most Powerful Woman.”

….As of Tuesday, after 20 days in theaters, Dial of Destiny has only grossed $307 million worldwide. At this point, it will be lucky to reach $350 million. Do the math: cost $425 million minus $175 million in net box office receipts (theaters take about half), and you’re looking at a $250 million loss. That is a quarter of a billion dollar loss — not on a risky and obscure John Mars, a property no one under the age of 100 was familiar with.

No, that is a quarter of a billion dollar loss on an Indiana Jones movie, one of the most beloved and iconic franchises in Hollywood history.

In 1981, more than 40 years ago and without adjusting for inflation, Raiders of the Lost Ark grossed $380 millionworldwide. Adjusted for inflation, that’s $1.275 billion with a “B” in today’s dollars.

In 1984, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom grossed $333 million worldwide. Adjusted for inflation, that’s $977 million.

In 1989, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade grossed $474 million worldwide. Adjusted for inflation, that’s $1.166 billion with a “B.”

In 2008, the dreadful Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull grossed $790 million worldwide. Adjusted for inflation, that’s $1.12 billion with a “B.”

When you factor in inflation, you are talking about Dial of Destiny flopping in ways that seemed inconceivable a couple of months ago: a $250 million loss and an anemic box office haul $700 to $900 million lower than its predecessors. But that’s what happens when you use a sexless, unappealing woman to emasculate a beloved screen hero.

John Carter was a legitimate risk.

But until Kathleen Kennedy got her grubby, talentless, sex-obsessed, leftist hands on it, Indiana Jones was one of the surest things in the world. But, then again, so was Star Wars, and look at what Kennedy did to that.

Can the fact she’s a chick still save Kathleen Kennedy’s job after this fiasco? I don’t know. Transitioning into a black man might be her only hope.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2023/07/20/nolte-indiana-jones-5-a-disaster-epic-proportions-disney/

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

But until Kathleen Kennedy got her grubby, talentless, sex-obsessed, leftist hands on it, Indiana Jones was one of the surest things in the world.

Action film with octogenarian star? Coming after the last Indiana Jones abomination with mere senior citizen star? Maybe do the obvious thing and reboot the franchise with a younger star and a cameo of Harrison Ford handing over the reins. You know, like the ultra successful Star Wars reboot. 
The only “woke” thing about this failure is Disney’s anti-ageist notion that the world wants to see an old man leading an action film. 

9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Action film with octogenarian star? Coming after the last Indiana Jones abomination with mere senior citizen star? Maybe do the obvious thing and reboot the franchise with a younger star and a cameo of Harrison Ford handing over the reins. You know, like the ultra successful Star Wars reboot. 
The only “woke” thing about this failure is Disney’s anti-ageist notion that the world wants to see an old man leading an action film. 

And that’s a major problem - that there aren’t any potentially iconic young leading men. 

Even the Rock is a collective failure (not as far as making money) but he doesn’t have ONE memorable role. 

Keep casting for diversity sake and write scripts and characters no normal person can relate to - that’s all contributing to Hollywoods demise.   

On 7/19/2023 at 3:40 PM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Holy smokes BillSy, Media Megamogul and notorious Hollywood bon vivant Barry "Fillith" Diller used nearly those exact words:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/barry-diller-executives-stars-25-percent-pay-cut-strike-1235537951/

“What will happen is, if in fact, it doesn’t get settled until Christmas or so, then, next year, there’s not going to be many programs for anybody to watch,” Diller predicted. “So, you’re going to see subscriptions get pulled, which is going to reduce the revenue of all these movie companies, television companies, the result of which is that there will be no programs. And at just the time, strike is settled, that you want to get back up, there won’t be enough money. So this actually will have devastating effects, if it is not settled soon.”

He continued: “The truth is, this [Hollywood] is a huge business both domestically and for world export.… These conditions will potentially produce an absolute collapse of an entire industry.”

Shocking news! Billionaire on the management/ownership/production side says labor demands will kill the industry!

I've been kidding about struggling screenwriter and mentally unstable Deranged Rhino. All ye on that other board: what's his take on the strike? With the commie union out of self-interest or fear of being blackballed? Now's his big chance to step up to the plate!

Edited by The Frankish Reich

In the end, if it bring some good things to the actors who are out there, ham and egg in it for years, I’m all for it

Whenever you’re starting out in that business, you literally make no money. You can be a working actor and not have enough money to be able to pay your rent.

Whenever my daughter was doing this, I actually took up an extra job just to cover all the expenses of keeping it going, and she was actually getting gigs

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I would still say an $80 mil opener for a 3 hour historical biopic is still really good tho 

FB friends loved Barbie!  Who doesn't?  Going to Oppenheimer first tho.

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

In the end, if it bring some good things to the actors who are out there, ham and egg in it for years, I’m all for it

Whenever you’re starting out in that business, you literally make no money. You can be a working actor and not have enough money to be able to pay your rent.

Whenever my daughter was doing this, I actually took up an extra job just to cover all the expenses of keeping it going, and she was actually getting gigs

You really love your daughter.  Hope you and she are well.  Sincerely.

Edited by redtail hawk

On 7/22/2023 at 2:42 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

Shocking news! Billionaire on the management/ownership/production side says labor demands will kill the industry!

I've been kidding about struggling screenwriter and mentally unstable Deranged Rhino. All ye on that other board: what's his take on the strike? With the commie union out of self-interest or fear of being blackballed? Now's his big chance to step up to the plate!

Why don’t you join that board and ask him yourself?   

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

He has discussed it at length and offered behind the scenes information 

Everyone here is invited to come over and see. That particular thread is in the open news and comment section. 

49 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Umm, never been but I'm guessing it's a bunch of MAGA morons.  Here we have some smart people...MAGArons...kinda catchy no?

23 minutes ago, B-Man said:

He has discussed it at length and offered behind the scenes information 

Everyone here is invited to come over and see. That particular thread is in the open news and comment section. 

No thanks.  I've heard he's looney tunes.

Edited by redtail hawk

26 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Umm, never been but I'm guessing it's a bunch of MAGA morons.  Here we have some smart people...MAGArons...kinda catchy no?

No thanks.  I've heard he's looney tunes.

Really ?

You are really going to accept the biased opinions of low intelligence liberal posters here on this board, rather than check for yourself. 

Why am I not surprised. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This was my sense as well from everything I’ve been told about the movie.  

My kids said people were laughing at the ridiculousness of it - not taking it seriously and it came across as satire.  

I’ll probably end up watching it on demand with my wife.  Not at all because I want to I swear.  

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

My kids said people were laughing at the ridiculousness of it - not taking it seriously and it came across as satire.  

I’ll probably end up watching it on demand with my wife.  Not at all because I want to I swear.  

How dare they make Ken into some kind of gay icon! Up till now he's lived for over 60 years as an honorable straight, platonic, post-gender reassignment surgery boyfriend to Barbie.

23 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I generally like Ben but this is truly sad on his part. This is not a movie trying to sell a lifestyle or anything, it is simply made to laugh at the absurdity of it all. As I write this my wife and 13 year old daughter are going to see it this afternoon so I might have more to report later.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Why do I get the feeling that you have Breitbart playing whenever you try to go to sleep at night?

The post is about the story.

It can be seen everywhere.

The obsession here of discounting an article, because its from an "unapproved" site is hilarious.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And taking things in for your confirmation bias is also hilarious

John, you should realize that when someone posts a straightforward story about the Emmys being postponed,

and your response is to criticize the links "far right" source,

THAT is an example of YOUR bias.

bi·as   noun

1.prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.

I hope this is helpful

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1