Andrew Luck will be eligible for the HOF in 2024

Gregg

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Shirley you can’t be serious.

Stop calling en Shirley.  Classic line.  

Permer, I’m not saying Andrew Luck wasn’t one of the most talented QB’s to be drafted in a generation (outside of Josh and Mahomes maybe), but he played 6 of 7 years and his O line got him beat up repeatedly.  He went 53-33 in those 7 years.

He decided to retire and the likelihood of the voters signing off on him is low.  RB’s can rarely but get in with a. Short career like Sayers and Davis, but not usually QB’s.  I just don’t think it will happen.

If he stayed in the league and even took another year off to heal or something, but played until he was 35-37, then absolutely.  I just don’t see it happening.  I was a big fan of his and he was constantly running for his life.

Why even put him on the ballot?  He shouldn't get a vote.  

He has a career passer rating of 89.5.  His Playoff rating is 73.4.  90th all time in passing yards.  0 MVP wins, 0 votes for MVP for that matter. 

The accolades he has: 4 pro bowls - which we all know doesn't matter at QB really since Tyrod made one.  He didn't even win rookie of the year, RG3 did.  The only award he won was comeback player of the year, and he retired right after. 

What about Jared Goff?  He at least played in a super bowl.  Derek Carr?  Better career rating and same number of Pro bowls.  He even got MVP votes in 2016.  

22 hours ago, Gregg said:

NFL Rookie Watch on Twitter: "Andrew Luck will officially be eligible for the Hall of Fame in 2024. Luck’s stats over his first six seasons in the NFL were mind BOGGLING. Luck had 171 passing TD’s (3rd all-time), trailing only Dan Marino and Patrick Mahomes. 23,671 passing yards (4th all-time), trailing… https://t.co/sl2KzHmkZz" / Twitter

He was really good when he played. But he didn't play long enough to get in despite those impressive stats. IMHO.  if I remember correctly injuries forced him into an early retirement. He took a lot of hits playing behind a bad Colts OL.

Luck was good, not great.  He was actually not very good in crunch time or the playoffs.  He has a reputation that exceeds his resume.  He didn't suck by any means, but he was the QB's position of Jadeveon Clowney on being over rated off of college draft hype.  A pretty good player whose reputation was greater than their results.

If it was the "Hall of pretty good" then sure, but not only does he not have the longevity, he doesn't have the accolades.  He was always pretty good and obviously talented, but lore is greater than his resume.

• In 2015, Colts were 2-5 with Andrew Luck and 5-3 with old man Hasselbeck who was in his final season in the NFL.  
  • Luck only had 2 really good seasons (like top 5 type play) in 2014 and 2018.  He had a good season in 2017, but nothing that I would say screams HOF.
  • There is false myth that injuries cut his career short, yet outside of 2015 he only missed one other game his whole career.  
  • He screwed over the Colts, his teammates and the fans when he quit on his team just before the season started despite missing just one game over the previous 2 seasons.  
  • He pretty much sucked in the playoffs the 4 seasons his Colts reached them (8 games in total)
    • 2013 he had his best output in yards and TD's, but in 2 games he still through 7 INTs to just 6 TDs and got blown out by NE in the 2nd round.  
    • Outside 2013, the other 6 playoff games he averaged 246 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT per game.  

If he makes the HOF, then the HOF is a sham.  There are so many deserving players yet to get in, and if Luck gets in over them it will be a grave injustice to those who accomplished a lot more and for a longer time than Luck.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Stop calling en Shirley.  Classic line.  

Permer, I’m not saying Andrew Luck wasn’t one of the most talented QB’s to be drafted in a generation (outside of Josh and Mahomes maybe), but he played 6 of 7 years and his O line got him beat up repeatedly.  He went 53-33 in those 7 years.

He decided to retire and the likelihood of the voters signing off on him is low.  RB’s can rarely but get in with a. Short career like Sayers and Davis, but not usually QB’s.  I just don’t think it will happen.

If he stayed in the league and even took another year off to heal or something, but played until he was 35-37, then absolutely.  I just don’t see it happening.  I was a big fan of his and he was constantly running for his life.

He was far worse than the press made him out to be.  Far worse.  Much like some reporters are constantly saying Josh will regress because they had a bad take on him and need to be right, they just kept saying Luck was great when he simply wasn’t.  That W/L record came against the worst division in the history of football.  If he makes the HOF they should just go ahead and close the place.  Had he continued playing…..nobody knows for sure but I disagree with your assessment.  He certainly wasn’t the worst QB ever, just the most overrated prospect ever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

He was far worse than the press made him out to be.  Far worse.  Much like some reporters are constantly saying Josh will regress because they had a bad take on him and need to be right, they just kept saying Luck was great when he simply wasn’t.  That W/L record came against the worst division in the history of football.  If he makes the HOF they should just go ahead and close the place.  Had he continued playing…..nobody knows for sure but I disagree with your assessment.  He certainly wasn’t the worst QB ever, just the most overrated prospect ever.

I think that award goes to Ryan Leaf. I remember it was between him and Manning as the #1 pick in the 98 draft. Peyton lived up to the hype and then some. Leaf not so much.

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I think that award goes to Ryan Leaf. I remember it was between him and Manning as the #1 pick in the 98 draft. Peyton lived up to the hype and then some. Leaf not so much.

Luck was more hyped for more time than LeBron.  Leaf got a lot of run but for a relatively brief period.  

23 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

HOF talent, but too short to be a HOF career. I really expected him to come back after a year of recovery, but maybe it's for the best considering the severity of his injuries. 

Maybe if he gets into Hall of Fame he will unretire if he can get guaranteed zebra calls like one former QB did and be the one and only GOAT NFL player who played once inducted in NFL Hall of Fame.

Toms.jpg

On 7/11/2023 at 1:25 PM, HOUSE said:

Oh sure Steve Tasker doesn't belong yet you would even consider this guy ?

This is a sad sad day....

You should create a Steve Tasker HOF thread instead of weird responses that have nothing to do with the topic.

20 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

After citing the bolded part, you would have Rivers in and Eli out?  That doesn't make sense.  It's not the Hall of Stats.  If it was, Jim Kelly wouldn't be in there. 

Chargers "not as stable" with Rivers?  They had 4 losing seasons in his 14 years of starting. They went to the playoffs 6 times. they went 5-7.   When you said "unstable" maybe you meant the Giants, who were a lot more rocky over the course of his career compared to the Chargers---yet they won 2 SB vs far better teams....mainly because of the play of Manning. 

Post season is huge for HOF--again, see Jim Kelly, Kurt Warner.

Well, the Hall of Stats has Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton, and Moon in.  Eli refused to play for the Chargers because he viewed them as an unstable organization.  Phillip Rivers is one of the main reasons they only had four losing seasons out of 14.  Eli had a .500 record, was never considered a top five quarterback at any point in his career, and was really just a good (not great) quarterback that's best traits were durability along with longevity.

The two Super Bowl runs were all about the defense as they only gave up 14, 17, 20, and 14 in their first Super Bowl run in 2008.  Then only gave up 2, 20, 17, and 17 in 2011 in their second Super Bowl run.  He made an iconic throw in each Super Bowl and the first one was really fricken lucky.  I just don't think those two magical playoff runs is enough to mask a career where he was never considered an elite QB despite his last name.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.