Buffalo News increasing the cost of their subscription to $28.99 per month

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

This is akin to the “cool kids” in class picking on the nerd because he was significantly more intelligent. Bullying doesn’t change as you grow older - it just appears in different forms.

Are you really an adult who is bringing up bullying on a football message board?  Really?  The same person who calls people fools on a regular basis.  There isn't a member on TBD history that has had more people argue against them and you're playing the victim?  

And no one actually believes you're significantly intelligent because you don't show it.  You constantly bringing up your "significantly" higher intelligence is only showing insecurity and makes the running joke continue.  No one who is a confident "superior" intelligent person constantly drops this many hints about their intelligence on the internet to a bunch of strangers. 

Conclusion...you're full of ****.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you really an adult who is bringing up bullying on a football message board?  Really?  The same person who calls people fools on a regular basis.  There isn't a member on TBD history that has had more people argue against them and you're playing the victim?  

And no one actually believes you're significantly intelligent because you don't show it.  You constantly bringing up your "significantly" higher intelligence is only showing insecurity and makes the running joke continue.  No one who is a confident "superior" intelligent person constantly drops this many hints about their intelligence on the internet to a bunch of strangers. 

Conclusion...you're full of ****.

we know exactly who he is as a person.  it's funny he describes this as the nerd getting picked on.  this is a bit different.  we all knew the kids in high school who went around drawing the worst kind of attention to themselves.  often demeaning, thinking something they're not, and really having poor interactions with others.  once people lash back, it couldn't possibly be their fault.  it's everyone against them.  the easiest thing to do in this world is cry victim, and that's exactly what this poster is now doing.  

On 7/8/2023 at 9:48 PM, Einstein said:

Making a mistake doesn’t make you a fool. But refusing to admit your mistakes, shows how foolish you are.

interesting you say this.  you made a mistake and very specifically called me out.  when i told you to go back and show me proof of what you were accusing me of, you couldn't because there wasn't any.  instead of admitting you were wrong, you've avoided me, haven't responded to the topic matter, and just have decided not to apologize.  what does that make you?

again, you're not the victim.  you create your own interactions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/8/2023 at 10:29 AM, What a Tuel said:

It doesn't account for advances in production capability, and productivity that decreases cost though.

So yeah the inflated price is right but at the same time, how have their costs of production faired? They certainly didn't skyrocket, and would be amazed to find out they stayed the same.

I work for one of the biggest packaging companies in the US.  I support the mills so I don't have much knowledge of our printing division but now I'm curious to find out the labor and materials costs are.  They certainly haven't increased significantly in the last 7 years and I know many of our print facilities have upgraded new machinery.  They put in a new press at a facility about an hour from me...that one machine was about $30 million. 

I want to see if I can get some information.  

22 minutes ago, teef said:

interesting you say this.  you made a mistake and very specifically called me out.  when i told you to go back and show me proof of what you were accusing me of, you couldn't because there wasn't any.  instead of admitting you were wrong, you've avoided me, haven't responded to the topic matter, and just have decided not to apologize.  what does that make you?

again, you're not the victim.  you create your own interactions.

It's not worth it... I got off his merry-go-round arguments when I saw it wasn't going anywhere... he believes in a narrative and is sticking with it.

15 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It's not worth it... I got off his merry-go-round arguments when I saw it wasn't going anywhere... he believes in a narrative and is sticking with it.

oh agreed.  i'm a causal observer at this point.  it's entertainment.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And no one actually believes you're significantly intelligent because you don't show it. 

Yeah it's common for individuals with lesser intelligence to believe that those with greater intelligence are not believable. 

Dunning-kruger and Inverse snobbery.

No one who is a confident "superior" intelligent person constantly drops this many hints about their intelligence on the internet to a bunch of strangers. 

Tell us that you have never met any global CEO's without telling us. 

Edited by Einstein

53 minutes ago, teef said:

we know exactly who he is as a person.  it's funny he describes this as the nerd getting picked on.  this is a bit different.  we all knew the kids in high school who went around drawing the worst kind of attention to themselves.  often demeaning, thinking something they're not, and really having poor interactions with others.  once people lash back, it couldn't possibly be their fault.  it's everyone against them.  the easiest thing to do in this world is cry victim, and that's exactly what this poster is now doing.  

I noticed that part as well.  Ever since the tax return thread, he's been more aggressive towards posters.  He is getting tired of being picked on so he has to elevate his insecurities.  

50 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I work for one of the biggest packaging companies in the US.  They certainly haven't increased significantly in the last 7 years

They actually have increased.

A lot

Plastics being one exception since they can make resin from ethane feedstock.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I noticed that part as well.  Ever since the tax return thread, he's been more aggressive towards posters.  He is getting tired of being picked on so he has to elevate his insecurities.  

at some point posters see through the nonsense.  in this case most figured him out quickly.  you know the guy has never run anything in his life.

remember the prophet on the bbmb.  he kinda reminds me of him.  that poster also tried to flex his insecurities, and often wanted to, "compare degrees."

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah it's common for individuals with lesser intelligence to believe that those with greater intelligence are not believable. 

ahem. Excuse me for this rambling to come post. I will admit to not being the sharpest knife in the drawer......

If that was an earnest beginning what might the 2BD brethren think? meh she's insecure . It is a LAMP type post so I can either be witty and smart..or not. 

Now senor einstein comes into chat in a similar fashion but from the opposite direction: Im Mr IQ off the charts and Im richer and smarter  than you .  you immediately become under suspicion for allll the reasons posters have previously  stated.  For you it's like it's not brag if is indeed fact. right? WE GET IT.

If you haven't gathered I'm going to make it crystal clear and this comes from my heart AND My brain.

Einstein if you enjoy this kind of inane "quien es mas macho"  I'm this Im This I"M THIS the regular posters (who many DO have indeed high IQ's You are going to be tuned out.  Your intellect means nothing if noone wants to read you anymore.  Your schtick is wearing thin mate.

Perhaps a bit of humility could do you some good. You bring this discord upon yoursellf. It is a chat fraternity you have found yourself. There well may be folks with just as High an IQ ass yourself who don't like being talked down to.

LOL I typo'ed a** I'm leaving it in. Freudian slip? 

bickering bills bickering bills fans meh no thank you. 

m

14 minutes ago, teef said:

at some point posters see through the nonsense.  in this case most figured him out quickly.  you know the guy has never run anything in his life.

remember the prophet on the bbmb.  he kinda reminds me of him.  that poster also tried to flex his insecurities, and often wanted to, "compare degrees."

Just on this page, he flexed his "I'm a superior intelligence" statements twice.  It's like his a teen with a chip on his shoulder. 

I'm at this point just going to observe.  

6 minutes ago, muppy said:

ahem. Excuse me for this rambling to come post. I will admit to not being the sharpest knife in the drawer......

If that was an earnest beginning what might the 2BD brethren think? meh she's insecure . It is a LAMP type post so I can either be witty and smart..or not. 

Now senor einstein comes into chat in a similar fashion but from the opposite direction: Im Mr IQ off the charts and Im richer and smarter  than you .  you immediately become under suspicion for allll the reasons posters have previously  stated.  For you it's like it's not brag if is indeed fact. right? WE GET IT.

If you haven't gathered I'm going to make it crystal clear and this comes from my heart AND My brain.

Einstein if you enjoy this kind of inane "quien es mas macho"  I'm this Im This I"M THIS the regular posters (who many DO have indeed high IQ's You are going to be tuned out.  Your intellect means nothing if noone wants to read you anymore.  Your schtick is wearing thin mate.

Perhaps a bit of humility could do you some good. You bring this discord upon yoursellf. It is a chat fraternity you have found yourself. There well may be folks with just as High an IQ ass yourself who don't like being talked down to.

LOL I typo'ed a** I'm leaving it in. Freudian slip? 

bickering bills bickering bills fans meh no thank you. 

m

lol, thank you.

I quite enjoyed this post.

35 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Your assumption that you have greater intelligence is your downfall.

Global CEOs aren't worth meeting in my opinion... I'm much rather meet important people, like teachers or volunteers. 

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

LOL what?  I've had beers with my companies former CEO who retired last year.  I've been at the dinner table with him after meetings.  

We are a $20+ billion global company.

My boss lives near his multi million dollar vacation home in Florida and they have hung out for like 10 years when he's down there. 

He participates in our March Madness Pools and comments on the threads that's created for it.  Even after retiring, he still partcipates.

He ate lunch in the buildings cafeteria.  

He's EXTREMEMLY humble and down to earth.  

GTFO with this stupid ****.

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just on this page, he flexed his "I'm a superior intelligence" statements twice.  It's like his a teen with a chip on his shoulder. 

I'm at this point just going to observe.  

eh.  he needs if for some reason.  i think if he let the schtick go, he'd be a decent guy/poster.  he has decided not to take that route, so here we are.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My boss lives near his multi million dollar vacation home in Florida and they have hung out for like 10 years when he's down there. 

What part of Florida? Your companies former CEO and I may be neighbors. I have a vacation home near the water in St Pete.

As far as humble goes, sure, there are all types. But that is the rare exception. I speak at conferences, have consulted, and am now the Presidoent of a company. The vast majority of executives are dreadfully arrogant. Far worse than I.

Edited by Einstein
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

In the interest of shifting the subject away from truly bizarre and cringe-y boasting about intelligence and back to the main subject of the thread (newspapers), I found this interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/10/business/media/the-new-york-times-sports-department.html. The Athletic will be the NYT's actual sports section going forward now that the ages-old NYT sports section has been eliminated. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/8/2023 at 2:00 PM, Limeaid said:

CPI also changes items accounting for inflation so the point is CPI is useless for judging inflation and it is a straw man argument.

And I have no idea on who Einstein is.  Certainly no Einstein on this board.

except the CPI is the most commonly used measure of inflation  

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

In the interest of shifting the subject away from truly bizarre and cringe-y boasting about intelligence and back to the main subject of the thread (newspapers), I found this interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/10/business/media/the-new-york-times-sports-department.html. The Athletic will be the NYT's actual sports section going forward now that the ages-old NYT sports section has been eliminated. 

Saw last week that the LA Times is pretty much ditching sports, not printing box scores and other news and sporadically mixing in some  sports stories.  This and the NYT decision is another in the now long line of decisions that will ultimately lead to the death of newspapers in this country.  It's indeed sad, as I subscribe to the daily printed edition of the Washington Post and am left wondering how long that paper will last.

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

except the CPI is the most commonly used measure of inflation  

And common theory was the Earth was flat.   I worked for agency when a politically appointed lead changed formula for upcoming election reasons.  I will not go into who or which election which would result in a political battle on this board. 

24 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What part of Florida? Your companies former CEO and I may be neighbors. I have a vacation home near the water in St Pete.

As far as humble goes, sure, there are all types. But that is the rare exception. I speak at conferences, have consulted, and am now the Presidoent of a company. The vast majority of executives are dreadfully arrogant. Far worse than I.

You're so predictable lol.

And you couldn't afford a home where he lives.  They average about $10 million on that strip.  You don't own a $10 million dollar beach home by the water.

• Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought that this would happen when The Athletic and wonder how NYT editorial decisions will affect it.  

Funny thing is The Athletic are both trying to get money from me sending emails.

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

And common theory was the Earth was flat.   I worked for agency when a politically appointed lead changed formula for upcoming election reasons.  I will not go into who or which election which would result in a political battle on this board. 

what's your preferred alternative to the CPI for inflation measuring?  

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

You seem to have conveniently forgotten how this discussion started. You said:

”Oh come on man. You really think it costs more to print a paper than in 1990? Give me a break.” - What a Tuel

To which I responded, of course it costs more! Inflation has pushed prices higher. Ink costs more, paper costs more, vehicles cost more, salaries cost more.

Once you eventually realized that it does in fact cost more now, you switched to an efficiency argument. The entire basis of this entire argument is that it costs more now to print the paper than it did in 1990.

Your computing advances argument is the same as your employee argument. The advance of computer power has simply reduced salaries, which I already showed you *still* doesn’t outpace inflation. 

There is no other way around it - it costs more to print and deliver the paper now than it did in 1990.

You just can't admit that you are wrong and it is hilarious. 

The context of the argument started with this post by me:

On 7/8/2023 at 10:29 AM, What a Tuel said:

It doesn't account for advances in production capability, and productivity that decreases cost though.

So yeah the inflated price is right but at the same time, how have their costs of production faired? They certainly didn't skyrocket, and would be amazed to find out they stayed the same.

You just quoted an out of context derivation of the argument as preceding the original statement. So no, once again wrong.

Again you are so big on evidence, and you made the claim that the cost of producing a newspaper went up from 1990 in 2023. So go for it. Prove to me that the cost of producing a newspaper without quoting random commodities like printer ink which im not even sure is the same ink used in newspapers.

And once again take note of the bolded, underlined, italicized statement in my original argument in which I agree accounting for inflation is correct, but now prove that the total costs of production OUTPACED inflation. That alone would prove that the cost of production went up.

Edited by What a Tuel

51 minutes ago, Einstein said:

you don't run anything.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I've shown my tax return. I've proven my mettle. I not only can afford that home, I'm under contract on ANOTHER ($3.2M) home in Cape Coral, on the water, in addition to my St Pete home. But it is funny watching your brain twist itself in knots, being unable to come to terms with the fact that someone you dislike so very much has the things that you wish you had.

I definitely wake up every morning wishing I was this insecure and how to prove (BS) superiority on the internet.  It's what every man dreams.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I've shown my tax return. I've proven my mettle. I not only can afford that home, I'm under contract on ANOTHER ($3.2M) home in Cape Coral, on the water, in addition to my St Pete home. But it is funny watching your brain twist itself in knots, being unable to come to terms with the fact that someone you dislike so very much has the things that you wish you had.

meh.  didn't you show your home in another thread?  it was nothing special.  just a typical suburban home, which fine, but you're nothing but talk here.

Just now, RyanC883 said:

what's your preferred alternative to the CPI for inflation measuring?  

Last scholarly article I read which was not produced by a political appointee was A "Reconciliation between the Consumer Price Index and the Personal Consumption Expenditures Price Index" (https://www.bea.gov/system/files/papers/P2007-4.pdf.  I remember when ice cream manufactures changed the amount of ice cream going into cartons by changing shape (1/2 gallon to 3 quarts) but in tables I reviewed year to year this was not accounted for resulting in large price jump in ice cream due to cost of cream (ice milk products also went up and while producers blamed cost of cream for rise it did not explain cost per oz rise in ice milk products which ice milk cartons also changing size).  There are many such changes made such as substituting cheaper ingredients to reduce cost rises because it will affect consumer spending.

I find the Personal Consumption Expenditures (PCE) to be more accurate but both have same issue - changes made for political reasons not economic measurement accuracy.

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Again you are so big on evidence, and you made the claim that the cost of producing a newspaper went up from 1990 in 2023. So go for it. Prove to me that the cost of producing a newspaper without quoting random commodities

YOU said this. Not someone else. YOU.

"You really think it costs more to print a paper than in 1990? Give me a break.” - What a Tuel

That's not a derivative. It's what you wrote. It was your argument (until you realized you are wrong, of course).

And it was not out of context. Just a few posts after that, you doubled down on your statement and said: "you go about your business thinking it costs more money to print paper than 1990" - What a Tuel

Yes, it costs more to print a paper now than it did in 1990. 

------------------

Soaring newsprint prices worsen local journalism crisis

Newsprint prices rose more than 30% over the last two years. A major factor is mills closing or converting production to packaging materials used by e-commerce companies such as Amazon.

That’s leading to soaring costs for remaining newspapers that are generally hanging on by a thread.

Combined with high fuel prices and delivery labor shortages, this will lead to further cutbacks in distribution, the size of newspapers and potentially newsroom employment.

“Mills have been shutting down pretty much everywhere — it’s really a global situation that has been a bit worsened by the pandemic,” said Francois Chastanet, director of graphic papers at Numera Analytics, a Montreal research firm affiliated with the Pulp and Paper Products Council trade group. link

-------------------

Newspapers keep eliminating print days

...supply-chain issues are driving supply costs through the roof. In an earnings call last month, the publisher and president of the Dallas Morning News, which still prints daily, said the company’s newsprint costs had soared to about $720 a metric ton...

In most cases, media companies are simply reacting to rising costs and a decline of print readers, said industry analyst Doug Arthur. In Gannett’s case, eliminating Saturday newspapers “likely removes the least profitable, smallest ad paper of the week.”

Amalie Nash, Gannett’s senior vice president of local news, said there are “particular pressures” on print publications, including significant print costs, inflation and a shortage of drivers that has left 1 in 10 delivery routes unstaffed. link

-------------------

Why paper has become a huge headache for publishers

Before 2022, Jardin and the BPIF say, raw paper costs were what drove price increases for printers (newspapers). Those pressures persist: but now they’re joined by the same heaving energy prices to which every other industry and individual is subject.

Some 68% of newspaper companies surveyed by BPIF in July put rising energy costs as a top business concern, and 65% the rising price of paper. Numerous printers are operating at full capacity to meet demand, but that capacity itself is constrained by a shortage of labour and supply chain issues.

Every stage of the paper-production process - hauling felled trees, crushing them into splinters or zipping the resulting paper through room-sized printing machines - uses a lot of energy. link

--------------------

All the news that’s eye-wateringly expensive to print

Worries about the cost and supply of newsprint are not a new challenge for publishers. In 2018, as I reported for CJR at the time, the  administration levied a range of tariffs on newsprint arriving from Canada...

the Sydney Morning Herald reported on fears that independent papers in Australia could be forced out of business by impending steep price hikes at a key newsprint mill in that country—hikes, the Herald reported, driven by “electricity prices, the high cost of freight shipping, and reduced newsprint demand rather than an attempt to generate large profits.” 

Claudia Smukler, the production director of Mother Jones, wrote recently that procuring enough of the graphic paper needed to print that magazine—while always “a complex story of sourcing, sustainability, and logistics”—has been more challenging than ever in the past eighteen months, with supply constricted, prices soaring, and print deadlines nearly missed. 

--------------------

Paper crisis could put news titles out of business

Paper is expensive because of the amount of energy needed to produce it. Publishing companies are competing against packaging and toilet paper companies for limited fibre resources globally, which are driving up costs. Failure of Norske Skog to secure the price increases will result in the closure of the Tasmanian mill, which would cause major problems for the local publishing industry.

The company told publishers last year it planned to increase the price of newsprint by about 30 per cent and the cost of glossy paper – used for real-estate pullouts and suburban titles – by between 35 and 45 per cent. The decision was related to electricity prices, high cost of freight shipping and reduced newsprint demand rather than an attempt to generate large profits.

prove that the total costs of production OUTPACED inflation.

You're just moving the goal posts again.

You never said anything about outpacing inflation.

You simply said it cost more to produce the newspaper in 1990. Which isnt true. And I said multiple times, "Due to inflation" costs have gone up. You kept arguing.

You're wrong.

Edited by Einstein

48 minutes ago, Einstein said:

my guy what are you doing in here

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, teef said:

meh.  didn't you show your home in another thread?  it was nothing special.  just a typical suburban home, which fine, but you're nothing but talk here.

No I never showed my home, that was someone else. But in general, Florida vacation homes you don't get a lot for what you pay. $3M will get you the equivalent of a $700k Orchard Park home.

1 minute ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

my guy what are you doing in here

It's bizarre how much that guy feels a need to constantly prove/justify himself to a bunch of strangers over the internet.  How has life deteriorated to this level?

You talk about a man with ENORMOUS self confidence problems.  I fear his dad told him every day growing up that he would amount to nothing. 

Einstein, have a re-think as to what you're doing.  And if you aren't doing it already, see a therapist.

I've grown very accustomed to my in-season Monday-morning routine of plowing through every Bills-related article in BN instead of doing my job, but admittedly this is getting to be an irrational waste of money considering how much free content is out there and the fact that I already pay for The Athletic.  I'm still sort of psychologically locked in but this is probably my last year as a subscriber.  

6 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I've grown very accustomed to my in-season Monday-morning routine of plowing through every Bills-related article in BN instead of doing my job, but admittedly this is getting to be an irrational waste of money considering how much free content is out there and the fact that I already pay for The Athletic.  I'm still sort of psychologically locked in but this is probably my last year as a subscriber.  

Same here, pretty much, well except that it's not me who's been subscribing, but my dad, and I think that I've almost talked him into stopping his subscription.

The paper version of the BN -- not that I've ever mistaken the BN for the NYT in the 45 years that I've been reading it, and not that I ever wanted BN to be the NYT -- is woeful.  The Sunday edition, something that I used to look forward to, is *rolls eyes*.

Very interesting thread here otherwise.  Been a long offseason for the lot of us, or so it would seem.

Edited by TheCockSportif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.