Deep dive ( McDermott )

Buffalo716

I’ve had some time in the last couple weeks… To review Sean McDermott the defensive coordinator

Since he will be the guy most responsible for our success this season,.. As the head man and defensive shot caller

I’ve seen a lot of snaps from McDermott from Philadelphia through Carolina and even watching how the defense has morphed in Buffalo

I would not call him a schematic guru… but he learned from Jim Johnson … one of the best schematic blitzers

Many of Seans principles that he learned from Johnson have become Staples in the game… Such as loading up the box in a duel a gap pressure… Vintage Johnson McDermott.. or feigning pressure

Sean does rely on the talent of his front four… But as 4 doesn’t get home for a quarter and a half… He’s willing to bring five… And if five doesnt hit… 6

He will not let you sit back for 60 minutes and pick you apart while being comfortable…

He hides combination coverages… And prefers press man on third downs… He also gets the most out of every player he has over 15 years

nothing he does is super exotic.., but it serves a purpose… he will give you a look 4 times… and pull out and go coverage 4 straight … but the 5th… he brings 6 and you can’t block it 

his situational awareness stands out defensively… being complacent is a death sentence … he hides everything as good as anybody and don’t be surprised to see a lot more safety blitzes sprinkled in 

im 💯 confident with Sean and I’m excited to see our new look defense with new faces 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 19

Good stuff.  Found an interview from 2011 when he was first hired as he explained trying to blend the Jim Johnson defense with the Ron Rivera defense.  He mentions a lot of the things you referenced.  It's going to be interesting to see the degree to which this defense changes.  It may not look that much different but I'm intrigued none the less

https://www.panthers.com/video/sean-mcdermott-interview-3338560

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Good stuff.  Found an interview from 2011 when he was first hired as he explained trying to blend the Jim Johnson defense with the Ron Rivera.  He mentions a lot of the things you referenced.  It's going to be interesting to see the degree to which this defense changes.  It may not look that much different but I'm intrigued none the less

I’m sure he learned a lot from Ron also… a phenomenal coach 

We’re probably not gonna see something too drastic of a difference…

But it’s gonna be the small nuances… In Tendency and maybe some leverage fits in the secondary also

We’ve been the best in the NFL over the last five years in not giving up the deep ball… But teams have adjusted underneath

sean might bring back more of a Underneath shadow coverage… As in let his cornerbacks play underneath the routes And Make plays

Instead of always being above the coverage and reacting

More big plays might be given up over the course of the season but it’s a much stickier coverage when things get physical in the playoffs

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Good stuff.  Found an interview from 2011 when he was first hired as he explained trying to blend the Jim Johnson defense with the Ron Rivera defense.  He mentions a lot of the things you referenced.  It's going to be interesting to see the degree to which this defense changes.  It may not look that much different but I'm intrigued none the less

Everybody on this board needs to listen to Sean here 

vintage McDermott, scrawny voice and all… the only thing he didn’t do is clap 

he is a very smart defensive coach and I always loved that he WANTS TO DICTATE… no vice versa

you force your opponent into doing what you want … not play into his hand

• Like (+1) 5

We are about to find out how good McD is. That's not a bad thing. 

What is hard to explain is why did he allow Fraizer to run such a defense? It sounds like a McD defense is fairly different than Fraizer's. 

Usually a defensive minded coach will put his implant of the DCs defense and vice versa. 

Have to believe that McD was happy with Fraizer's D. He was here for several years and was always backed up by McD. 

I think it's fair to say Fraizer's defenses disappointed in the playoffs. Yet, he remained with the team for years with similar disappointing results. Ultimately, someone realized Fraizer and his D scheme couldn't get it done. 

Did McD try to alter Fraizer's D? Improve it or tweet it? If not why not? 

I'm excited to see McD run a defense. Expectations seem pretty high. Just maybe a Bills led D can make a few critical stops in the playoffs to advance further. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

We are about to find out how good McD is. That's not a bad thing. 

What is hard to explain is why did he allow Fraizer to run such a defense? It sounds like a McD defense is fairly different than Fraizer's. 

I think a lot of it had to do with personnel. This might explain why there has been such a big emphasis on D-linemen the last few years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’ve had some time in the last couple weeks… To review Sean McDermott the defensive coordinator

Since he will be the guy most responsible for our success this season,.. As the head man and defensive shot caller

I’ve seen a lot of snaps from McDermott from Philadelphia through Carolina and even watching how the defense has morphed in Buffalo

I would not call him a schematic guru… but he learned from Jim Johnson … one of the best schematic blitzers

Many of Seans principles that he learned from Johnson have become Staples in the game… Such as loading up the box in a duel a gap pressure… Vintage Johnson McDermott.. or feigning pressure

Sean does rely on the talent of his front four… But as 4 doesn’t get home for a quarter and a half… He’s willing to bring five… And if five doesnt hit… 6

He will not let you sit back for 60 minutes and pick you apart while being comfortable…

He hides combination coverages… And prefers press man on third downs… He also gets the most out of every player he has over 15 years

nothing he does is super exotic.., but it serves a purpose… he will give you a look 4 times… and pull out and go coverage 4 straight … but the 5th… he brings 6 and you can’t block it 

his situational awareness stands out defensively… being complacent is a death sentence … he hides everything as good as anybody and don’t be surprised to see a lot more safety blitzes sprinkled in 

im 💯 confident with Sean and I’m excited to see our new look defense with new faces 

Very nice break down. Matches up with what I recall from memory. 

Another good point was brought up by Groot in his presser the other day. Paraphrasing here but he made it a point to say that he felt like McDermott does an excellent job of actually teaching the defense. Not just the "you go here and do this" but the "why", what doing that achieves and helps them understand more. And that helps them be able to play faster.

In all his years here I don't think I saw Frazier on the sidelines actually coaching up anyone more than a handful of times. Now, that may be just the camera not showing it. But for the most part he would be standing there on his headset. McDermott has and will be coaching them up during the game. There will be a fire lit under this defense.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

What is hard to explain is why did he allow Fraizer to run such a defense?  It sounds like a McD defense is fairly different than Fraizer's. 

Usually a defensive minded coach will put his implant of the DCs defense and vice versa. 

Have to believe that McD was happy with Fraizer's D. He was here for several years and was always backed up by McD. 

I think it's fair to say Fraizer's defenses disappointed in the playoffs. Yet, he remained with the team for years with similar disappointing results. Ultimately, someone realized Fraizer and his D scheme couldn't get it done. 

Did McD try to alter Fraizer's D? Improve it or tweet it? If not why not? 

That's my first question as well.  

6 seasons.  If he wasn't happy, them why not make a change.  If he was, then why was he.  

Once again, the vibe is that he places relationships over winning.  

It's either a business, or it's not.  

This is obviously a critical season.  I hope he's up to the task.  A growing many have their doubts, he'll either prove them wrong or cement their suspicions.  

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No coach does this.

He got the most out of Peterman.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

The shame was that Frazier's first Head Coaching stint was terrible. I think he'd have been hired away back in 2020 or 2021 if it wasn't for that past history looming.

My perception was always that Frazier's preference would be to maintain standard deployment for too long, i.e. rush the bare minimum to be effective, and trust the defensive line to use their talents to generate necessary pressure while allowing the back 7 to maximize coverage options. I feel like there were many occasions where McDermott asserted control over the defense, even if to just say, "we need to blitz more." I also feel like the situation was a lot tougher last season without a healthy Hyde and Poyer, those guys have great awareness & make excellent adjustments on the fly which is key when you're reacting to a QB's split decisions to thwart a blitz package.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Good stuff, Thanks.  Question: Riverboat Ron said at times, he had to dial back Sean’s aggression.  Could you see any hints what he meant by that?

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

That's my first question as well.  

6 seasons.  If he wasn't happy, them why not make a change.  If he was, then why was he.  

Once again, the vibe is that he places relationships over winning.  

It's either a business, or it's not.  

This is obviously a critical season.  I hope he's up to the task.  A growing many have their doubts, he'll either prove them wrong or cement their suspicions.  

We had one of the best D in the league last 2 years.  We’ve been winning.  

I think the easy answer to your questions is that McDermott and Beane said what they meant and meant what they said.  It was Frazier’s choice to step away for a season, not a polite way of firing him.

• Agree 1

I’m pretty sure those concerned about McDermott taking over the defense don’t doubt his ability to improve that side of the ball. 

The concern is that McDermott has struggled as an in-game head coach. 

Adding a significant amount of responsibility to a job in which he’s far from mastered seems like a recipe for disaster to me. 

When the other 31 teams are heading into the season with Defensive Coordinators, this move doesn’t strike me as being “ahead of the curve,” in any way. 

There’s a reason nobody else does this. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I’m pretty sure those concerned about McDermott taking over the defense don’t doubt his ability to improve that side of the ball. 

The concern is that McDermott has struggled as an in-game head coach. 

Adding a significant amount of responsibility to a job in which he’s far from mastered seems like a recipe for disaster to me. 

When the other 31 teams are heading into the season with Defensive Coordinators, this move doesn’t strike me as being “ahead of the curve,” in any way. 

There’s a reason nobody else does this. 

consider coordinator and play caller, not same thing.  Teams may have coordinators and their coach still calls plays on “his” side of the ball, right?

so then ask, how many defensive minded HC are there, how many offensive

how many of the offensive HC call plays

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Beck Water said:

consider coordinator and play caller, not same thing.  Teams may have coordinators and their coach still calls plays on “his” side of the ball, right?

Yes, I suppose.  I’m definitely not saying he can’t pull this off. I’m just a tad worried. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No coach does this.

That doesn’t mean every single players a superstar

Coach McDermott has gotten a lot out of a little plenty … 1-52 he develops as good as anyone

He coaches and develops 5th round milano into an All pro… He coaches and develops sixth round Christian benford into starting as a rookie

coached up udfa Levi Wallace into a starter … 6th round Dane Jackson… we literally had nobody Justin zimmer playing meaningful snaps and making some plays.. McDermott can coach 

McDermott absolutely maximizes his coaching ability from player one through 52 but really coaches up the back end as good as anyone 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Good stuff, Thanks.  Question: Riverboat Ron said at times, he had to dial back Sean’s aggression.  Could you see any hints what he meant by that?

Like Sean said in his presser in Carolina … I want to do the dictating …

which is great … but sometimes the other team can use your own tendencies against you 

situationally just knowing when to go and when to hold up is the chess piece … I think McDermott wants to be aggressive… but finding balance is key 

and I think he will find that balance

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

so then ask, how many defensive minded HC are there, how many offensive

how many of the offensive HC call plays

How many of those offensive HCs don't have an OC tho

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.