What should the Bills plan be for their 2024 salary cap / roster?

Adam727

I don't usually like to start threads but I can't find a good answer to this question, and it's the off-season...  

According to Spotrac, the Bills are currently $35 million over the projected salary cap next year.  Micah Hyde, Gabe Davis, Daquan Jones, Ed Oliver, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Poona Ford, Dane Jackson are all free agents along with a number of other less expensive role players.

The Bills have already spent about $20mil/year from future years cap space for the next several years in void years / restructures, so even though they can choose to keep pushing some money into future years at some point doing this too much will probably catch up with them and would mean we'd be dealing with some rebuilding year or years  right as Josh is in the middle of his prime as a QB, and Beane has said numerous times he's always trying to balance building for now and building for the future.  

I see $8million in relatively easy cuts in Hines/Neal.  The Bills can probably save some money next near by extending Taron Johnson.  After that it starts becoming much more difficult to see where the Bills save money.

Has anyone else looked at 2024 yet and what does this roster look like next year?  Who can the Bills afford to bring back and who might be on the chopping block for cap reasons?

29 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

I don't usually like to start threads but I can't find a good answer to this question, and it's the off-season...  

According to Spotrac, the Bills are currently $35 million over the projected salary cap next year.  Micah Hyde, Gabe Davis, Daquan Jones, Ed Oliver, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, Poona Ford, Dane Jackson are all free agents along with a number of other less expensive role players.

The Bills have already spent about $20mil/year from future years cap space for the next several years in void years / restructures, so even though they can choose to keep pushing some money into future years at some point doing this too much will probably catch up with them and would mean we'd be dealing with some rebuilding year or years  right as Josh is in the middle of his prime as a QB, and Beane has said numerous times he's always trying to balance building for now and building for the future.  

I see $8million in relatively easy cuts in Hines/Neal.  The Bills can probably save some money next near by extending Taron Johnson.  After that it starts becoming much more difficult to see where the Bills save money.

Has anyone else looked at 2024 yet and what does this roster look like next year?  Who can the Bills afford to bring back and who might be on the chopping block for cap reasons?

They’re in good shape but they have to find their next WR1 soon because Diggs’ cap number will begin to be a burden. Probably have 2 years left with Diggs, if that.

I could see an Allen extension soon which would push a lot of cap back. Chiefs are already talking Mahomes extension to make him the highest paid QB.

A tough decision next year will be Tre White. Post June cut next year saves $10+ million. With Allen restructuring and cutting White the Bills will be close to positive cap space. There’s plenty of other moves that probably get them around $20 million under. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is not an issue that’s unique to the Bills. Most teams (and pretty much all of the good teams) are in this situation-and the Bengals will be there once Burrow gets his contract. This is standard operating procedure for these guys. They’re paid a lot of money to figure this stuff out, it doesn’t concern me at all 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, Billl said:

2024 is going to be a serious re-tooling year.  If the 2023 season goes poorly for whatever reason, it could be a full-on rebuild.

Let me guess, “the window will be closed”

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Billl said:

2024 is going to be a serious re-tooling year.  If the 2023 season goes poorly for whatever reason, it could be a full-on rebuild.

2025. Possible new LT, WR1, CB1, Edge1. 4/5 of the most important positions on a roster. I feel we have a 2 year window with familiar faces leading us.

But with QB1 set it’s so much easier to build.

1 minute ago, Pbomb said:

Let me guess, “the window will be closed”

Not necessarily.  We just saw that a team can win a Super Bowl while doing a serious re-tooling.  Vegas has the Bills winning 10.5 games.  If they sightly outperform that by going 12-5 and going on a postseason run, there's no reason to think they can't keep it going while doing some serious roster churn.  If they underperform at 9-8, then you're absolutely looking at a two year rebuild.  Anybody whose age starts with a 3 would be a candidate to be moved, and guys like Tre, Brown, Oliver, Knox, Davis, Basham, and Epenesa would have to be evaluated as well.  

I think Buffalo is a 10 or 11 win team, so neither of those outcomes would shock me.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

Not necessarily.  We just saw that a team can win a Super Bowl while doing a serious re-tooling.  Vegas has the Bills winning 10.5 games.  If they sightly outperform that by going 12-5 and going on a postseason run, there's no reason to think they can't keep it going while doing some serious roster churn.  If they underperform at 9-8, then you're absolutely looking at a two year rebuild.  Anybody whose age starts with a 3 would be a candidate to be moved, and guys like Tre, Brown, Oliver, Knox, Davis, Basham, and Epenesa would have to be evaluated as well.  

I think Buffalo is a 10 or 11 win team, so neither of those outcomes would shock me.

Oh god so that means this place will be a cesspool 6 or 7 times next year and only slightly less miserable the other times 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Why are you here again?

Just to be a pessimistic voice  from another team it seems,,

The phrase “ get a life “ comes to mind…

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why are you here again?

Just to be a pessimistic voice  from another team it seems,,

The phrase “ get a life “ comes to mind…

There's nothing pessimistic about that. Football teams turn over their rosters frequently, and this is the oldest roster in the league. The 2024 version of this team will have 8-10 new starters compared to the 2023 team.  McBeane have chosen to mostly run it back the last two seasons.  They're due for an overhaul outside of Josh, Diggs, and the youngsters who are going to have to take over for guys like Hyde, Poyer, and Morse. 

It's very doable when you've got a young superstar at QB.  Look at the "make it out break it" thread.  If most of those guys show out, then they'll be part of the retooling, and the team will keep on rolling.  If not, it's a bigger project.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

There's nothing pessimistic about that. Football teams turn over their rosters frequently, and this is the oldest roster in the league. The 2024 version of this team will have 8-10 new starters compared to the 2023 team.  McBeane have chosen to mostly run it back the last two seasons.  They're due for an overhaul outside of Josh, Diggs, and the youngsters who are going to have to take over for guys like Hyde, Poyer, and Morse. 

It's very doable when you've got a young superstar at QB.  Look at the "make it out break it" thread.  If most of those guys show out, then they'll be part of the retooling, and the team will keep on rolling.  If not, it's a bigger project.  

Why even raise the prospect of 2023 “going poorly”…?

They have just came off a 13-3 season that was disrupted by injury, travel and other issues …there is no reason to think that misfortune will all happen again which most other teams did not have to contend with ..

This comment seems typical of the “ pessimism ” I see from you about the Bills particularly since the last playoffs …

They are the 3rd or 4th favourite for the Championship in 2023… more than a few think that Beane has improved the team through some astute offseason buys and the only real loss they have had is Edmunds ..

Yes… that all guarantees nothing but I think the prospects of them having a poor season seem remote barring a JA injury…

• Thank you (+1) 1

Joe Marino did a recent Locked On Bills podcast about Bills cap situation after this year.  He laid out the facts, and i am super optimistic after hearing that podcast.  We are in much better shape next year than this past.

we have 9 draft picks, Roos 5th year option only $ added, many extension possibilities, cut candidates, core players under contract 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Hyde , Poyer, Oliver, Gabe, Morse, White all gone.  Milano extended, Dawkins and Knox will be re-worked or traded.

2025 will see Miller and Diggs re-worked or gone. 

The draft will have to be fruitful.

Are you saying you think they cut/trade Poyer?

His contact is through 2024.

48 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Are you saying you think they cut/trade Poyer?

His contact is through 2024.

Yeah, dead cap is 2M next year, he’s gone unless he plays really well this year, which I don’t really expect.

• Disagree 3

Spotrac is currently projecting a $235 million cap for next year. Just the fact that the 3-year window of subtracting the rest of what should have been the reduction in 2020 (by the deal that was made back then between NFL/NFLPA) will be back to even, will certainly have it rising more than that. And with all the new TV money coming in it's likely the cap will be much higher than $235 million in 2024. I don't really mean to throw water on the thread, but in this case, I really think it's too early to be concerned.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.