Bills' receiving corps getting bigger for playoff football

Inigo Montoya

The Bills have been dominant in the regular season but haven't had the same success in the playoffs.  One factor that has contributed to those frustrations is that playoff games are officiated differently.  The refs don't call defensive holding at the line of scrimmage like they do in the regular season.  DBs know they can mug at the snap and get away with it.  The Bills pass catchers were on the small size and more vulnerable to getting held by DBs playing press.

I think Beane made a deliberate decision to bring in bigger bodied pass catchers who can get off the line of scrimmage even when DBs are grabbing them.  If your team's 178 lb nickleback wants to try and hold our new 246 lb slot guy, or our new 6'4" 229 lb receiver, go ahead and take your chances.

Here are the new pass catchers on the 2023 roster as of today

Trent Sherfield-   6'1"  219       FA

Deonte Harty-     5'6"  170       FA

Dalton Kincaid-    6'4"  246     Rookie  1st rd

Justin Shorter-    6'4"  229      Rookie  5th rd

Tyrell Shavers-    6'4"  211       Rookie  UDFA

Jalen Wayne-      6'2"  207      Rookie  UDFA

We still have Gabe Davis who's 6'2" 210 and Dawson Knox at 6'4" 254.  They also have a WR on the PS that they've been developing, Dezmon Patmon, who is 6'4" and 225.  All together, that's a big group of pass catchers. 

You'll have Diggs, Harty, and Shakir-- and every other Bills' WR is going to be big.  Beane is signing receivers who can fight through the DB's jam / holding and get out into their route.  Hopefully this change in roster philosophy will lead to more success in the passing game when it matters the most.  

• Like (+1) 12
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Definitely a theme this off-season.  Our slot Receiver is going from 5’9” 180lbs to 6’4” 240lbs. Our RB additions are 20 and 30lbs bigger than Singletary.  Torrence is bigger than whoever he’s gonna replace.  Poona is a stout physical guy.  Rapp is big and physical for a safety. 

Hopefully the days of being a soft non-physical team except for our QB are in the past.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Isn’t shavers 6’6”? Could be wrong but thought I read that somewhere 

Yeah the undrafted one that got signed. That's a pretty damn tall WR. He would be a nightmare for any defender especially if they can develop him the right way. 

It’s about time they realize the finesse guys win regular season games, but when the going gets tough, the bully’s win.  Rex was a bumbling fool, but he at least had the right concept.  I’m really happy to see the direction they are heading.  I wish Beane had the balls to fire McD and bring in an aggressive coach too, but one step at a time.

1 minute ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Yeah the undrafted one that got signed. That's a pretty damn tall WR. He would be a nightmare for any defender especially if they can develop him the right way. 

A guy that physically imposing that can’t beat up on lower level competition, stands little chance of ever seeing a snap on O, he’s here for special teams.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

A guy that physically imposing that can’t beat up on lower level competition, stands little chance of ever seeing a snap on O, he’s here for special teams.

You're probably right. That's why I said if they are able to develop him

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Bills have been dominant in the regular season but haven't had the same success in the playoffs.  One factor that has contributed to those frustrations is that playoff games are officiated differently.  The refs don't call defensive holding at the line of scrimmage like they do in the regular season.  DBs know they can mug at the snap and get away with it.  The Bills pass catchers were on the small size and more vulnerable to getting held by DBs playing press.

I think Beane made a deliberate decision to bring in bigger bodied pass catchers who can get off the line of scrimmage even when DBs are grabbing them.  If your team's 178 lb nickleback wants to try and hold our new 246 lb slot guy, or our new 6'4" 229 lb receiver, go ahead and take your chances.

We still have Gabe Davis who's 6'2" 210 and Dawson Knox at 6'4" 254.  They also have a WR on the PS that they've been developing, Dezmon Patmon, who is 6'4" and 225.  All together, that's a big group of pass catchers. 

You'll have Diggs, Harty, and Shakir-- and every other Bills' WR is going to be big.  Beane is signing receivers who can fight through the DB's jam / holding and get out into their route.  Hopefully this change in roster philosophy will lead to more success in the passing game when it matters the most.  

Like do you have any stats to base the bolded off of or are you making it up so your point sounds better?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Like do you have any stats to base the bolded off of or are you making it up so your point sounds better?

Do I need to have stats to make that point?  I think it's pretty well understood that the refs try to "let them play" during the postseason.

I apologize if my OP hasn't lived up to the rigid scientific standards you demand from a TBD post.

I'll be sure to look for the reams of verified statistical analysis you provide the next time you offer an opinion here.

🍻

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

But the little super fast guy is the most important of the group as the problem to be solved is having someone to push back the safeties, something last years roster could not do, resulting in Diggs being doubled by a safety on every passing down.  

Good point, especially about playoff refereeing. Problem  I see is that after Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Harty and Sherfield, only one of those tall receivers will make the roster. Kincaid will make as a tight end, but Shorter, Shavers, Wayne and Patmon could be fighting for one spot. Although there could a surprise cut. Bills could end up with  a deep practice squad, assuming none of the tall receivers get poached. Will make for an interesting camp. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I wonder who the tallest NFL player there ever was. Ernie "the cat" Ladd? He was 6'9", 270 lbs.

Found this blurb:

At 7 ft 0 in, Richard Sligh is the tallest player in professional American football history. The next tallest are Matt O'Donnell at 6 ft 11 in, Morris Stroud at 6 ft 10 in, and Dan Skipper at 6 ft 10 in.

Sligh played 1 season in 1967 as a 10th round pick. O'Donnell never made an active roster, however was in camp twice for the Bengals. Stroud was a TE for the Chiefs. Played 5ish years and was on their Super Bowl team back in the Len Dawson era. Skipper is an OL and has bounced around for 6 squads most recently last year for the Detroit Lions.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 1

The other thing is that Beane went for the "sure hands" guys.  I think the worst drop percentage of any of these receivers was at 5% and some with 1%. Big guys that can go up in traffic and get the ball. Between McKenzie, Knox and Gabe there were a lot of dropped passes that should have moved the chains. I think the tape showed that and the Mc'Beans decided it was an area of weakness that needed to be addressed.

I think we addressed every weakness so far. I know LB is a question mark but Williams is known for his coverage, instincts and sure tackling. Something that Edmonds was not. Also Simpson and Sanders were not known as consistent tacklers, so I think we worked to address that area too. You won't just run down the middle of the field on us.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.