Bills sign Latavius Murray to a one-year deal

Roundybout

21 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Isnt Murray injury prone too? LOL the newest EJ Gaines situation here

As was ALREADY stated upthread, Murray has missed a total of 10 games in 9 NFL seasons as a running back.

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

But what are the odds of Murray and Harris being injured at the same time?

Good question.

What do you think the odds are?

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Also, who replaces Jones on ST?

That's unclear yet, but WR Trent Sherfield clocked a 4.45 40 and plays teams.

DB Zane Anderson  clocked a 4.44 40, and played 69% of the snaps for the Chiefs last year

I think our taller 5th round WR Shorter played teams but I don't know if he returned or played another position.  He ran a slower 40, 4.55, but I think he plays faster

Tyrell Shavers, our UDFA from San Diego, is said to be an ace gunner. 4.59 40

48 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I hope you are not bashing Duke Johnson.  Duke could still play.  And the Bills buried him on the depth chart behind Moss Singletary and Cook.  Just like they did to TJ Yeldon when he could play as well.  

Murray is solid if not spectacular.  And a backfield of Murray Harris and Cook is excellent.  Hynes will be the kick and punt returner.  And can be an option out of the backfield in special situations.  

You lost me at Yeldon could still play. 

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It gives them versatility and ways to attack teams differently to expose what they are weak at. Who is active will likely be gameday specific in regards to how they plan on attacking the team.

Basically it gives the Bills a lot more options, which is what is seems lile they have been focused on doing offensively this off-season.

Bringing lots of guys in with different skills sets to give more options and ways of attacking teams.

WISHBONE FORMATION BABY!  😆

image.png.8c900d04886ece7abdc1c73d053d5ed7.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

He's consistently had juice.

He's a 9 year vet with eight straight seasons of at least 500 yards. Only once has he averaged less than 4.0 per carry. He has power and speed and doesn't fumble the ball.

I've always maintained that McDermott (from his comments) is a neanderthal football coach at heart. We pass because we have Josh Allen but McDermott would love to be able to play smash mouth football. I'm getting visions of Ottis Anderson running against us in Super Bowl XXV.

This fires me up.

Downhill, punishing... excellent vision. It's been about 10 years so people forget that Murray ran a sub 4.4 forty at the combine. This is a big, physical, durable, dependable, running back who can still outrun linebackers.

Also he's averaged 10.5 yards per reception... a part of his game that's been underutilized.

The Bills can go jumbo with the 2 TE set and teams will be overplaying the run when Murray's in the game.

Not to be Debbie Downer but the video was not super impressive.  With maybe one exception, I feel like Motor had the vision, power, and speed to make any of those runs.  

On the other hand, I think the new RB room of Harris, Murray, Cook, and Hines is the best group of RBs we've had since Shady was the headliner.  And I like the variety.

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Not to be Debbie Downer but the video was not super impressive.  With maybe one exception, I feel like Motor had the vision, power, and speed to make any of those runs.  

On the other hand, I think the new RB room of Harris, Murray, Cook, and Hines is the best group of RBs we've had since Shady was the headliner.  And I like the variety.

Personally, I thought he looked much bigger, stronger and faster than Motor. He also does not fumble. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I can’t seem them having Hines, Harris, Cook and Murray all active game day 

I don't see him making the final roster.   He brings nothing to the table that we don't already have.  33 years old too.  

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Cook - Speed, elusiveness, pass catching 
Harris - Physical, Power, Speed, Goal line

Murray - Punisher, Goal line, Close out games
Hines - Motion, Wheel routes, screens, ST

As for the down usage, I think it can really be changed up to keep defenses guessing.  I'd also expect some 2 back sets. Especially inside the 10

Thanks for the response. 

I guess I was partly looking at it from the perspective of the team composition as a whole.  In another thread, I think it was @JGMcD2 who put out a pretty good post-draft guess at a 53 man roster and suggested we might roster 3 RB + a FB and 7 WR, vs 4 RB + a FB and 6 WR.  The thinking is that we drafted a WR (usually keep those guys on the roster), we just signed an UDFA who excels as a gunner, and we're no longer keeping an RB roster spot for ace STer Taiwan Jones - instead we may need roster spots at WR and S for STers.

Just now, PBF81 said:

Different style, but what, a 33-year old RB with marginal prior performance.  Not sure what, if anything, he actually adds.  

Obv different style.  As I added later in the thread-  he’s more Yeldon as he’ll be on the 53- yet inactive.  What he adds is insurance.  He’s not a bad back-  he’s a solid north south option- especially as a 4th option. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Cook - Speed, elusiveness, pass catching 
Harris - Physical, Power, Speed, Goal line

Murray - Punisher, Goal line, Close out games
Hines - Motion, Wheel routes, screens, ST

As for the down usage, I think it can really be changed up to keep defenses guessing.  I'd also expect some 2 back sets. Especially inside the 10

To me, Cook and Hines are similar.  Cook can handle more early down carries as well

Harris and Murray are very similar, with Harris being more of the power back.

I feel like we are locked into Hines and Cook, which is why I think Harris or Murray will be the odd man out

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I don't see him making the final roster.   He brings nothing to the table that we don't already have.  33 years old too.  

He brings consistency, toughness, and can back up Damien Harris who has some injury history.

Also, I'm not too inclined to agree with your takes, especially when it's your 666th post. The Universe sometimes gives a signal.

• Haha (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It gives them versatility and ways to attack teams differently to expose what they are weak at. Who is active will likely be gameday specific in regards to how they plan on attacking the team.

Basically it gives the Bills a lot more options, which is what is seems lile they have been focused on doing offensively this off-season.

Bringing lots of guys in with different skills sets to give more options and ways of attacking teams.

Well, yeah but.... there are limited roster positions overall.  So if you're carrying 4 RBs, you're carrying less guys somewhere else.  And we have a lot of "versatility" to find roster spots for already between Harris, Cook, Hines then in the WR room Harty, Sherfield, Shorter and maybe Shavers.

Then there's the idea that RBs hit a "wall" and their performance falls off after age 29 - Murray is 33.

I guess if we brought him in to give the room that vet presence McDermott values and help keep the young guys taking care of their bodies and film, and we plan to Duke Johnson him/he's OK with that, it makes sense.

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

To me, Cook and Hines are similar.  Cook can handle more early down carries as well

Harris and Murray are very similar, with Harris being more of the power back.

I feel like we are locked into Hines and Cook, which is why I think Harris or Murray will be the odd man out

I think jones is the odd man out

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think jones is the odd man out

I plead ignorance here.  Jones clearly does something on special teams that they love.  Whatever that is, I think they would need someone to fill that role.  I just don't know who that is, or what that is.

RB

Cook/Hines

Harris/Murray

WR 
Diggs

Davis 

Shakir

Shorter 

Harty

Sherfield 

Knox

Kincaid

OL depth everywhere now - this group is better.  Insert obligatory *if Spencer Brown can* then it’s potentially elite.  

Depth at LB - upgraded backup to Milano

Depth at CB

Depth at Safety.   

Add a 1 tech DT and another edge guy.  Dline is the last piece.  

This team is close to ready to roll.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is it possible Hines doesn't make it?  Hardy and Hyde both have punt return experience.  Kickoffs, I'm sure we have multiple that have done it as well.

I think he makes the roster this year.  His contract is set up that next season ($5.5M) could easily be in doubt to make the team.

It would make sense to use him fully as a returner this year and be looking for his replacement next season.

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Different style, but what, a 33-year old RB with marginal prior performance.  Not sure what, if anything, he actually adds.  

Murray's role for a number of years has been either splitting time or 2nd string.  He will be Harris's backup insurance.

It makes perfect sense.  He's also a very, very good pass blocker.  He hasn't been overworked for years.

He's got 57 TDs in his career and 4.2 YPC.  If that's marginal as a bruising RB, I guess you have your opinion.

I wouldn't make too much about his age, he's a 3rd string running back on this team.

He's filling these roles with a 1-year contract for cheap money to try and get a ring.  He will give the effort when called upon.

I like the signing a lot.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.