Some Thoughts before Day 3

MAJBobby

71 players with 2 more picks.  So will have 73 players.  Look for a UDFA class of 15-16 players (they like keeping 2 roster spots open post draft).  

Thin Position based on Historical 90 day roster build.

WR - Probably have 5 to 6 coming.  They have brought 13-15 to camp  We have 8 right now.

DBs - Probably need 3 to get to the historical avg.

OL - 2 more to get to historical 

RB - will get likely 2 more

I the Draft look for the Bigger Type RB that they still want on this roster.  I think if the 5th comes and Roschon Johnson is still there he will be the pick.  

So listening to Beane all offseason.   I think a DT, CB, WR and a Bigger RB will be the position groups for the next two picks if the value fits

• Like (+1) 7

Good write up. Agree, I think Johnson may be a guy we take if he's there. 

Beane mentioned DB and WR as spots he saw some value in still last night. So that's plausible as well. Kind of expect a DT somewhere. 

May still see a small trade back in round 5 and grab another 6th or 7th pick. Wouldn't shock. 

I also expect to see another QB added either very late or UDFA. I know typically they bring 3-4 to camp. Right now Allen, Allen and Barkley are signed. Would like to see some competition for Barkley.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Good write up. Agree, I think Johnson may be a guy we take if he's there. 

Beane mentioned DB and WR as spots he saw some value in still last night. So that's plausible as well. Kind of expect a DT somewhere. 

May still see a small trade back in round 5 and grab another 6th or 7th pick. Wouldn't shock. 

I also expect to see another QB added either very late or UDFA. I know typically they bring 3-4 to camp. Right now Allen, Allen and Barkley are signed. Would like to see some competition for Barkley.

Yes a QB is coming in UDFA either as a signing or as a Try out.  They will need to in order to throw at Rookie Camp.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

71 players with 2 more picks.  So will have 73 players.  Look for a UDFA class of 15-16 players (they like keeping 2 roster spots open post draft).  

WR - Probably have 5 to 6 coming.  They have brought 13-15 to camp  We have 8 right now.

I the Draft look for the Bigger Type RB that they still want on this roster.  I think if the 5th comes and Roschon Johnson is still there he will be the pick.  

So listening to Beane all offseason.   I think a DT, CB, WR and a Bigger RB will be the position groups for the next two picks if the value fits

on the fence here. Think the 5th they try to put at a position they can roster. But struggling to match upside guys to need at 5. 

for RB I think it’s a PS guy added, and not sure if roschon is that at the moment. 

after that, agree it’s loading bodies to compete on the perimeter both ways 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

on the fence here. Think the 5th they try to put at a position they can roster. But struggling to match upside guys to need at 5. 

for RB I think it’s a PS guy added, and not sure if roschon is that at the moment. 

after that, agree it’s loading bodies to compete on the perimeter both ways 

The 5th COULD be a great move down spot, depending on what comes out of the 5th.  

One thing with no WR in rounds 1-3 I think the Hopkins thing is still alive, that ONLY goes away with a pick in rounds 1-3 which we didnt do.  I am good passing on all RBs and just filling your want in UDFA (granted I hate draft picks on RBs so there is that Bias).  That 5th could be a way to get back another 2 picks to Draft the player instead of fighting with the other 31 for a UDFA.  Could slide from where we are in the 5th and get mulitple picks to have your choice at those future PS guys.  

We are in a point in the Bills roster that every year round 4 and beyond players could very well get cut after camp and not make this team (WHICH IS A GOOD THING, to have a roster like that.  Ideally those cheap rookies push off the 1-3M Vet, But that is where the bills are talent wise)

Edited by MAJBobby

I still think the Bills try to trade down their scouts have done a good job finding players late and want to maximize that. 

I’d love to get Karl Brooks he was my # 2 small school guy after Marte Mapu but the Patriots had to ruin that dream. 

Brooks is a 3 tech projection that can take a year to develop for the Bills but the athleticism is def there to become a force 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I still think the Bills try to trade down their scouts have done a good job finding players late and want to maximize that. 

I’d love to get Karl Brooks he was my # 2 small school guy after Marte Mapu but the Patriots had to ruin that dream. 

Brooks is a 3 tech projection that can take a year to develop for the Bills but the athleticism is def there to become a force 

Wanted Mapu as well.

My main thought.. And maybe it’s just wishful thinking.. but, thus far, it’s notable that we haven’t addressed WR. 

Sure, we took Kincaid.  TE/WR hybrid.  However, that doesn’t change the fact that we have 5 rosterable WR’s at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

My main thought.. And maybe it’s just wishful thinking.. but, thus far, it’s notable that we haven’t addressed WR. 

Sure, we took Kincaid.  TE/WR hybrid.  However, that doesn’t change the fact that we have 5 rosterable WR’s at the moment. 

The Bills punted on this draft as soon as they took Dorian Williams.

Had offers to move out, take Dewand Jones, and instead went Special Teams in the third.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

What about DL as a thin position?  While the Bills currently have 8 signed, it seems to me they have traditionally taken more than that into camp, no?

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The TE drafting is our WR.  The Bills are high on Shakir and they will go with Diggs, Shakir, Gabe, Kincaid, Knox.  They also will push more on their run game with the signing of Harris.

• Vomit 1

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The Bills punted on this draft as soon as they took Dorian Williams.

Had offers to move out, take Dewand Jones, and instead went Special Teams in the third.

Jones is still on the board…. Why is he a better prospect?

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

The TE drafting is our WR.  The Bills are high on Shakir and they will go with Diggs, Shakir, Gabe, Kincaid, Knox.  They also will push more on their run game with the signing of Harris.

Kincaid is not a WR … he will be used as one, but he’s not a guy we can reliably play outside if Diggs or Davis miss any time.  

Harty and Shakir are inside/outside guys.  

Sherfield is a big slot. 

We still need another outside WR. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Jones is still on the board…. Why is he a better prospect?

Greg Cosell liked Jones film.

Said he doesn’t have the greatest technique, but because of the sheer size it’s hard for anyone to get around him.

Considering he’s 6’8” 375 pounds, started a high-end D1 school, and the Bills supposedly have a great OLine Coach, and took a power player in Torrence at #59, the logical bet would be to take a chance on that player, before a backup OLB (Beane already said he’s outside to start). 

Furthermore, Spencer Brown has been awful at RT, allowing free pressure on Josh Allen. 

Build a wall in front of Allen, Bills got no value with Dorian Williams.

There are try-hard 228 pound converted-esque Safeties in every draft. 

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

What about DL as a thin position?  While the Bills currently have 8 signed, it seems to me they have traditionally taken more than that into camp, no?

I think they will add a DT (i think they are targeting that position group in the draft. )

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Kincaid is not a WR … he will be used as one, but he’s not a guy we can reliably play outside if Diggs or Davis miss any time.  

Sherfield is a big slot. 

Maybe Hopkins is still in play. There are a few left in the draft they might be interested in. I don't think Tyler Scott makes it through the fourth. Maybe Xavier Hutchinson at 137. They liked Justin Shorter. He's a late pick or priority UDFA.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Said he doesn’t have the greatest technique, but because of the sheer size it’s hard for anyone to get around him.

Considering he’s 6’8” 375 pounds, started a high-end D1 school, and the Bills supposedly have a great OLine Coach, and took a power player in Torrence at #59, the logical bet would be to take a chance on that player, before a backup OLB (Beane already said he’s outside to start). 

Furthermore, Spencer Brown has been awful at RT, allowing free pressure on Josh Allen. 

Attitude.  Skipped meetings and workouts at the Senior Bowl I believe.  

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sherfield is a big slot. 

I agree in terms of just getting to the 90 there will be more added in WR.  Now looking at the 53 this is how I see it right now (will take 6)

Diggs - Lock

Harty - On the Roster this year Min

Shakir - Lock

Davis - Lock

So Need 2 for the 53.  Sherfield likely one (but contract can move on from)

A Hopkins Trade fixes that 53 gap.  That is why I really think Not Drafting one in this draft early means they will be all in on a post draft trade.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Maybe Hopkins is still in play. There are a few left in the draft they might be interested in. I don't think Tyler Scott makes it through the fourth. Maybe Xavier Hutchinson at 137. They liked Justin Shorter. He's a late pick or priority UDFA.

I do want if they draft a WR at 137 be a size speed guy.  I think Hutchinson will be gone.  But an A.T Perry at 6'4 200 with 4.4 speed grades out right there in my list.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I agree in terms of just getting to the 90 there will be more added in WR.  Now looking at the 53 this is how I see it right now (will take 6)

Diggs - Lock

Harty - On the Roster this year Min

Shakir - Lock

Davis - Lock

So Need 2 for the 53.  Sherfield likely one (but contract can move on from)

A Hopkins Trade fixes that 53 gap.  That is why I really think Not Drafting one in this draft early means they will be all in on a post draft trade.  

Agreed.   Maybe a WR is there today we like and the room makes more sense, but as of now, it looks like a purposeful omission when we go with Dorian Williams in RD3, as both KC and BAL drafted WR’s with premium picks.

I still think Hopkins makes sense for all three teams, but you’d think KC will want to get Skyy Moore and Rashee Rice on the field given two years of high pick investment, to go with Toney and MVS. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I do want if they draft a WR at 137 be a size speed guy.  I think Hutchinson will be gone.  But an A.T Perry at 6'4 200 with 4.4 speed grades out right there in my list.

He's a project, but I've had my eye on Bryce Ford-Wheaton. Maybe you could get him in the sixth? I'm surprised they haven't taken a DT. They must really like Williams. I would have gone for Ika.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Agreed.   Maybe a WR is there today we like and the room makes more sense, but as of now, it looks like a purposeful omission when we go with Dorian Williams in RD3, as both KC and BAL drafted WR’s with premium picks.

I still think Hopkins makes sense for all three teams, but you’d think KC will want to get Skyy Moore and Rashee Rice on the field given two years of high pick investment, to go with Toney and MVS. 

If you add Hopkins to the Bills that's a crazy talented set of weapons.

13 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Rumors are he’s dropping because his workouts were so bad, and his attitude so poor, that some teams literally took him off their board.  

Which, of course, means KC will draft him today and he’ll be a stud. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Rumors are he’s dropping because his workouts were so bad, and his attitude so poor, that some teams literally took him off their board.  

Which, of course, means KC will draft him today and he’ll be a stud. 

Can't decide between the laughing and angry emoji.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He's a project, but I've had my eye on Bryce Ford-Wheaton. Maybe you could get him in the sixth? I'm surprised they haven't taken a DT. They must really like Williams. I would have gone for Ika.

If you add Hopkins to the Bills that's a crazy talented set of weapons.

This might not make you too happy.  I have him as a 4th round grade and he is the 4th best WR on my list of best available. The 4 higher than him are 

Hutchinson

Wicks

Palmer

So If my grading is close he should be long gone before the 5th.  And my grade would support taking him with our 5th.  Fits that Size Speed want.  I didnt list him because I think he goes in the top end of the 4th round.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

This might not make you too happy.  I have him as a 4th round grade and he is the 4th best WR on my list of best available. The 4 higher than him are 

Hutchinson

Wicks

Palmer

So If my grading is close he should be long gone before the 5th.  And my grade would support taking him with our 5th.  Fits that Size Speed want.  I didnt list him because I think he goes in the top end of the 4th round.

I'm going to hope he falls to 137 then. Thanks.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

There will be a good push for UDFA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.