Andy Warhol Portrait of OJ Simpson goes to Auction

T&C

this particular portrait spent 19 years at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, where it was donated in 1992 and, according to a spokesperson there, never displayed.

Interesting that it was donated before his legal issues in 1994,

In 2011, it was deaccessioned — or permanently removed from the collection — and sold to an anonymous collector in a private sale through Christie’s, with proceeds going to fund preservation of other items in the hall's collection, said hall spokesperson Rich Desrosiers. Phillips estimates the portrait will sell in the $300,000 to $500,000 range. As with any of the athletes in the series, Simpson would not have existing rights to proceeds, the auction house said.

The work will be on public display May 6-15 in New York before being auctioned.

No issue displaying it now likely because auction house does not care about things NFL Hall of Fame does especially if it may it may increase their commission.

The only thing, imo, that Warhol ever got involved with that actually mattered was the Velvet Underground... his "art" looks like flea market crap just like someone else's but people buy it for top dollar. 

Edited by T&C

1 minute ago, T&C said:

The only thing, imo, that Warhol ever got involved with that actually mattered was the Velvet Underground... his "art" looks like flea market crap just like someone else's but people buy it for top dollar. 

Yeah I'm not really an art person at all and don't know much about Warhol but when I was in Pittsburgh for the Bills game alot of people in our group wanted to go to the Andy Warhol museum and nothing in there did anything for me.  I don't get it but Different Strokes for Different Folks I guess 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Someone’s gonna make a killing on that.  

I think they are going to have to slash their original asking price.

(I apologize, sometimes I have no self-control. 🤷‍♂️)

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/29/2023 at 12:52 PM, Augie said:

I think they are going to have to slash their original asking price.

(I apologize, sometimes I have no self-control. 🤷‍♂️)

Hope they use gloves when handling it, don't want to leave fingerprints. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.