2023 offense has potential to be best in Bills history

Success

On 5/11/2023 at 3:23 PM, folz said:

I don't know if it will be the best Bills offense ever (love the enthusiasm though), but I have a hard time understanding anyone who doesn't think they have improved from last year. Sure, no big name FA...but that's not really what we needed (or could afford). We needed players to fit certain roles. While it's great to have MJ and Pippen, you still need your Cartwrights, Paxsons, Kerrs, Rodmans, etc. to win a championship.

Just look at the net gains (for an offense that was already 3rd in points last season):

Losses                                 Gains

Case Keenum                     Kyle Allen

Motor                                  Damien Harris

Latavius Murray

Hines (full offseason/year with team)

McKenzie                            Kincaid

Harty

Sherfield

Shorter

Saffold                                McGovern

Torrence

Edwards

Broeker

Boettger (out all last year)

Keenum and Allen are a push at worst, and you could argue that Saffold and McKenzie are addition by subtraction. So, our only big loss is Singletary, replaced by Harris, Murray, Hines, and 2nd year Cook. 

The only other losses were receivers (none of whom played more than 6 games or did much of anything for the team last year):

Cole (2 games)

JB (3 games)

Crowder (4 games)

Kumerow (6 games)

Gentry (3 games)

Hodgins (2 games)

Plus Dorsey going into his second year, Kromer 2nd year, Cook 2nd year, Hines full off season/regular season, etc., etc.

Of course, not every addition (FA/rookie) will hit, or bust out, or whatever, but just look at the options we have now. And we don't need them all to be superstars (except Kincaid, hopefully), we just need them to play solid ball in the role that they have been brought in for.

I don't know about best Bills offense ever, but I do believe this is, by far, the deepest team that we have had since the Super Bowl years (on offense and defense)...Beane and McD are trying to make sure we don't have a repeat of last season...and I am all for it. What Beane did to fill out the team/fix issues from last season with a lack of funds this year is top notch, imo.

Fantastic post!  Not sure how the negative ninnies will react but I love it!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/28/2023 at 7:49 AM, Big Turk said:

I think the Bills now have answers for pretty much whatever a defense wants to try and do where they will basically be wrong no matter what and it's a pick your poison situation for DCs.

Yes it's on Dorsey and Josh to make it all work.

On 5/9/2023 at 3:16 AM, Chandler#81 said:

I enjoy Bills optimism as much as the next fan, but I don’t share @Success views for this season. Not yet, anyway. 

Here’s why.

#1 The AFC is absolutely loaded -as is our Division. We had an injury-ladened comeuppance last year and we showed we don’t have and can’t afford better quality backups. 
#2 Frazier is gone. Say what you will about bend don’t break, they were the failing aspect in the playoffs every year. Sean came through the ranks with 7 seasons under Jim Johnson with Philly until his untimely death, taking over for 1 year at DC. He claims this Defense will be much more aggressive, but the giant Eagle span is gone in the middle, so QBs will once again be fearless throwing over the middle. How are we going to be ‘aggressive’ with a stable of 1 year interior DL when we haven’t been for 4 years straight? Will another jarring hit to the neck shelf Hyde for another season -or his career? We have to seriously begin to address the Safety spot and frankly, Hamlin was unimpressive in his 1st year. 
#3 Dawkins is an over-rated tub of goo. Is he our best OLman? Allen makes them all seem serviceable but none are dominant. 
#4 We let our leading rusher over the past 4 seasons walk without even trying. Hines rarely saw the field sans STs. 4 different style RBs behind a convoluted OL? 

#5 Does Dorsey even know what a ‘F’ TE is? He never played with one, never coached one and never drew up a play for one. With just 1 season as OC, his play calling actually devolved over the season to ‘just let Josh be Josh’. A Bill Walsh he ain’t.

#5 WNY weather.

#6 Brit Williams leaving Josh on the day of the Cincy playoff game (allegedly) explains a lot about his performance. A 10 year+ intimate relationship doesn’t disappear immediately. Hell, she has his dog!

I’m hopeful for the playoffs but I fear our best opportunity has slipped by with this group. Allen is young enough that we may still be able to re-invent another group to try again before he retires..

🤷‍♂️

Every one of your bullet points assumes the wost case.

On 5/9/2023 at 11:07 AM, billsfan89 said:

I definitely am feeling a lot better about the offense in 2023 than I was going into 2022. I was really concerned about the O-line going into 2022, mainly Saffold at guard and the overall depth was massively lacking. From 2019 to 2021 the Bills had solid depth along the O-line. They usually went 8 deep with at least 3 quality backup O-line players behind the starting five. Players like Bates, Ty Nesheke, and others were on the bench entering the season. Going into 2022 not only was there a questionable situation with Saffold being a vet stop-gap but also the only decent backup was Queese. 

Going into 2023 not only is the guard situation much better with Torrence and McGovern the depth is a lot stronger. Bates is likely moved back to the bench which given his versatility is a big addition to the O-line's depth then the team added Edwards who helps the guard depth and brought back Queese who is a decent backup. That is in addition to the players they are kicking the tires on like Ike. While I would like a swing tackle who can compete with Brown and backup Dawkins the depth is at least credible to start the season. While the starting O-line is much better at guard in my opinion. 

After the O-line, I do feel like having Hines in as a gadget player/third-down back for the whole is going to be helpful (along with Hines kick return abilities helping the ST unit). While Cook as the lead back with Stevenson as the primary backup/power back makes me feel like at RB the team will likely be slightly better. 

Then at WR/TE I think that in addition to Kincaid adding a big receiving body the additions of Sheffield and Hardy over Mac and Kumerow provide a small upgrade while I hope Shakir and Davis develop more. Josh should have a better complement of targets to throw to in 2023. I don't think Shorter will have much of an impact in 2023 but I could be wrong, certainly a body added there. 

Overall I do think that McBeane did a pretty solid job on the offensive side of the ball in the off-season given the limited resources. The O-line is significantly better while the pool of targets for Josh is better and the RB situation is slightly better as well.  

Yes, the biggest piece missing on the O-line is a proven swing tackle but those aren't growing on trees.

9 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Your own post makes a strong case for the problem being almost entirely on the O line.  And saying we should have "run the ball more" conveniently forgets the frequent times RB's were stuffed for no gain or lost yards.  This of course put us in passing situations over and over again.

The fact is that Allen, in spite of playing injured, performed at a very high level considering how bad his O line was at the end of the season.  Bringing in 3 new guards and RT Brown being healthy for off season training should at least move the Bills from having one of the worst O lines in the NFL to having an average O line.  This alone will pay big dividends in 2023.

What did I say, Doresy, run game, O line.  Yes, I mentioned the O line. 

In that Cincy playoff loss, OC Dorsey only called 13 RB carries which is clearly not enough to get that run game working. Besides, if the run game isn't working at all so just keep asking the QB to throw when that isn't working either. Shades of Brian Daboll in that first Baltimore game or that 2021 6-9 loss to Jacksonville. 

There are many, many run alternatives to off OG, OT, and up the middle. If the QB is having an off day keep working at finding what will work in the run game, misdirection, and counterplays. Make those defenders run sideline to sideline and wear them out. 

Anyway, there were series in that Cincy playoff loss with seven straight passes...punt!  Yes, there were times when both the passing game and the run game didn't work. When the run game did work they stopped calling runs, two runs by Singletary for 6, 7 yards for a first down. So they went right back to the pass.

The Buffalo offensive line wasn't up to the task that day in pass blocking while allowing far too much pressure on the QB. This is on the OC to see this and make some changes.

If the QB, passing game is not working in a game there needs to be a plan B. 

Bengals QB Joe Burrow didn't have a career day against that Buffalo defense. He isn't the sole reason for their win. 23 of 36 for 242, 2 TDs. It's because the Bengals had balance and were able to run the ball. 34 rush attempts for 172 yards, 1 TD. 

Yes, the Buffalo Bills have an alien unicorn at QB. The thing is, as QB Jim Kelly stated, Allen can't be expected to carry every game. Josh Allen needs help from a running game just like Jim Kelly had in his day with Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

There are a lot of question marks on the offensive side of the ball. 

The offense is pretty much above average simply because Allen there. 

Besides Diggs the WR core still looks underwhelming. 

At RB, Harris seems to be always hurt, Hines looks to be a special team player, and Cook is still young. He played well towards the end of the season. However, he still has a lot to prove. He has never been a 20 touch guy. In the past, we've seen promising young Bill RBs do well only to have disappointing years afterwards. Zac Moss comes to mind. 

Who knows what the Bills have in Dorsey? He has to grow an awful lot. His play calling was very simplistic and sporadic. 

How will this Oline gel together? I do like the move the Bills made. 

Kincaid looks to be a very good pass catcher. However, he's still a rookie and often there's a learning curve. It's a bit premature to be looking at him as the next Travis Kelce.  Let's wait and see how he plays and if Dorsey can utilize his skill set. 

In short, I think the Bills offense on paper is better than last year's. No way no how is this offense close to the Bills offense of 90s Super Bowl run. Not even remotely close. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Dislike 1

On 4/28/2023 at 10:23 AM, Success said:

This was a sneaky good offseason for our offense.

Kincaid brings a versatility we didn't have at TE, and will create match-up nightmares for opposing DC's.  The additions of Sherfield and Harty were low key, but give us even more versatility, speed, YAC - and all 3 new additions have great hands, which is something we lacked in '22.

Then you go to the RB unit. Damien Harris is the best RB we have had in years, with Cook coming into his 2nd year after coming on strong at the end of last season.  They complement each other well.

If Davis can get back to form, and Brown takes the leap and realizes his potential - this team could have the best offense in the league, and the best we've seen in Buffalo.  And I loved the K-Gun days, but this O could be better.

2022 season:

Damien Harris:  106 carries, 462 yards, 4.4 ypc, and 3 TDs   and  97 receiving yards

Devin Singletary: 177 carries, 819 yards, 4.6 ypc, and  5 TDs   and 280 receiving yards

2019 to 2022

Damien Harris:  449 carries, 2094 yards, 4.7 ypc, and 20TDS  and 281 receiving yards

Devin Singletary:  672 carries,  3151 yards, 4,7 ypc, and 16 TDs   and 971 receiving yards

We need to look at the facts, the actual evidence when we analyze things, or we will make bad decisions as a team and as fans. You cannot make the case that Harris is a superior running back to Singletary, and "the best running back we have had in years".  In fact, the evidence indicates the Bills got rid of a far superior, and much more reliable, player in Singletary to bring in Harris. 

It seemed to be the same for some people last year, saying that Beasley was not that important, that McKenzie would be even better. But with no proof to back that up. I thought it was a crapshoot myself, a big risk for the Bills. Then McKenzie was not even close to being even a starting caliber slot receiver, yet alone the vital cog that Beasley was.  And not having a reliable slot receiver was, to me, a death blow to the Bills offense last year. A major strength simply eliminated.

I like Harris as a runner when he is healthy but Singletary has proven himself to be  a much better player. Yes, often not used nearly enough by his OCs, but that is not his fault.  30th in carries last year in the NFL, for example.

When did this current offense look its best, one of the best in "Bills' history", almost unstoppable? The last 6-7 games in 2021 when Singletary finally was used correctly, well, and established the Bills as one of the best running teams in the league, with a dynamic, multi-dimensional offense that helped to make Allen the best quarterback in the league.

So let's deal with the facts of the matter, or the Bills will be destined to be an also ran, again.  And let's hope they actually have a high level starting caliber running back on the team this year.  Unlike the last four years, we do not know that is the case.

And if not, how many will lament that the Bills could not scrounge up 3 million dollars a year to pay Singletary, a player Allen often said was vital to their success the last few years.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

2022 season:

Damien Harris:  106 carries, 462 yards, 4.4 ypc, and 3 TDs   and  97 receiving yards

Devin Singletary: 177 carries, 819 yards, 4.6 ypc, and  5 TDs   and 280 receiving yards

2019 to 2022

Damien Harris:  449 carries, 2094 yards, 4.7 ypc, and 20TDS  and 281 receiving yards

Devin Singletary:  672 carries,  3151 yards, 4,7 ypc, and 16 TDs   and 971 receiving yards

We need to look at the facts, the actual evidence when we analyze things, or we will make bad decisions as a team and as fans. You cannot make the case that Harris is a superior running back to Singletary, and "the best running back we have had in years".  In fact, the evidence indicates the Bills got rid of a far superior, and much more reliable, player in Singletary to bring in Harris. 

It seemed to be the same for some people last year, saying that Beasley was not that important, that McKenzie would be even better. But with no proof to back that up. I thought it was a crapshoot myself, a big risk for the Bills. Then McKenzie was not even close to being even a starting caliber slot receiver, yet alone the vital cog that Beasley was.  And not having a reliable slot receiver was, to me, a death blow to the Bills offense last year. A major strength simply eliminated.

I like Harris as a runner when he is healthy but Singletary has proven himself to be  a much better player. Yes, often not used nearly enough by his OCs, but that is not his fault.  30th in carries last year in the NFL, for example.

When did this current offense look its best, one of the best in "Bills' history", almost unstoppable? The last 6-7 games in 2021 when Singletary finally was used correctly, well, and established the Bills as one of the best running teams in the league, with a dynamic, multi-dimensional offense that helped to make Allen the best quarterback in the league.

So let's deal with the facts of the matter, or the Bills will be destined to be an also ran, again.  And let's hope they actually have a high level starting caliber running back on the team this year.  Unlike the last four years, we do not know that is the case.

And if not, how many will lament that the Bills could not scrounge up 3 million dollars a year to pay Singletary, a player Allen often said was vital to their success the last few years.

Harris best season is better than singletarys best season. 

My questions...

Will Dorsey do better in Year 2 than he did in the second half of Year 1?

Dorsey follow up:  Dorsey has a diverse RB room - will he figure out how to optimize their individual skill sets?  

Did Beane do enough to fix the OL?

Will Kincaid make an impact as a rookie?

Will Josh's UCL bother him again this season?

Will Gabe step up?  (Although, even if he doesn't, I think top-to-bottom we have a better receiving corps this year).  

We need affirmative answers on these for the Bills to have the best offense ever.  But what does "best" even mean?  In 1990, the Bills averaged 26.8 points a game - best in the NFL that year but wouldn't be this season.  Rule changes tend to promote scoring so I'm not sure how to compare offenses from different eras.  

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

In that Cincy playoff loss, OC Dorsey only called 13 RB carries which is clearly not enough to get that run game working. Besides, if the run game isn't working at all so just keep asking the QB to throw when that isn't working either. Shades of Brian Daboll in that first Baltimore game or that 2021 6-9 loss to Jacksonville. 

Anyway, there were series in that Cincy playoff loss with seven straight passes...punt!  Yes, there were times when both the passing game and the run game didn't work. When the run game did work they stopped calling runs, two runs by Singletary for 6, 7 yards for a first down. So they went right back to the pass.

The Buffalo offensive line wasn't up to the task that day in pass blocking while allowing far too much pressure on the QB. This is on the OC to see this and make some changes.

Bengals QB Joe Burrow didn't have a career day against that Buffalo defense. He isn't the sole reason for their win. 23 of 36 for 242, 2 TDs. It's because the Bengals had balance and were able to run the ball. 34 rush attempts for 172 yards, 1 TD.

The Bills were down 14 - 0 after the first 2 Bengal possessions.  Their defense could not have had a worse start in a HOME playoff game.

Consider this series of possessions from early in the 2nd quarter to late in the 3rd quarter:

*  Bills go 75 yards in 15 plays for a TD taking 7:41, score = 7 - 14

*  Bengals go 65 yards in 14 plays for a FG taking 5:36, score = 7 - 17

*  With only 1:49 left in the half Bills go 39 yards in 7 plays taking 1:09, punt

*  Bengals go 44 yards in 6 plays taking 0:40.  Half

*  To start the 3rd quarter Bills go 65 yards in 14 plays for a FG taking 7:18, score = 10 - 17

*  Bengals go 75 yards in 12 plays for a TD taking 6:25, score = 10 - 24

*  With only 1:17 left in the 3rd quarter Bills start infamous drive that ends on 3rd & 2 with Davis dropping what would have been a 50 yard completion.

Sorry, but the Bengals playoff game was lost for two primarily defensive reasons:

1) the D didn't show up at the start of the game. 

2)And then when the offense managed to claw their way back into the game with two LONG, time consuming scoring drives the D failed to make a stop at two critical points in the game - after the Bills cut the lead to 14 - 7 & 17 -10.

The D's shortcomings forced the Bills to rely more on the pass then they would have liked.  The poor O line play made it harder for the Bills to execute any offensive scheme consistently.

2 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

2022 season:

2019 to 2022

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics..."  Stats are indeed facts, but they are not all the facts and never tell the whole story.

Context matters.  Harris played in a more-balanced offense.  Motor played in an offense that was very much pass-first.  Opposing DCs didn't spend a lot of time game-planning how to stop our running attack.  That was never going to be a difference-maker in the outcome of the game.  The entire defensive scheme was about stopping Josh.  So when Motor did run, he was often running against nickel and dime defenses against players who were coached to play the pass first.  

Pretty much the only games I've seen Harris play were his Buffalo games.  Maybe that's not a representative sample, but in those games he looked bigger, faster and stronger than Motor.  

But it's not just Motor versus Harris.  Last year, Hines came on board during the season and, according to some sources, never mastered the offensive playbook.  And Cook was just a rookie.  Both ought to be more productive this season as outside runners and receivers out of the backfield.  The addition of Harris and Murray gives us the ability to pound the rock up the middle which we lacked last season.  And Harris has some outside ability as well.  

I, for one, think this is the best stable of running backs we've had since Shady was the headliner.  I just hope Dorsey knows how to use them.  

On 4/28/2023 at 11:11 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

I think it has immense potential for sure, my 3 remaining offensive question marks IMHO are:  OL, Dorsey and Harris staying healthy.  

I totally agree this has been a sneaky good off season, especially for the offense.  I’ve been saying Sherfield and Harty are better signings than some think in terms of upgrades to last year.  And now adding Kincaid really brings the opportunity to create a lot of mismatches. 

And while I do think we made some solid OL moves, hoping we still add one more piece in the draft.  We got Josh a new weapon, so hoping one of our 2 picks gets him some more protection too.  

With the new prices it’s now on Dorsey to get them all involved.  And for me, that was one of his biggest weak points last year, using the talent we had.  But it was just his first season, and the one great thing about Kincaid being a first round pick is that the pressure will be on Dorsey to get him involved.

Love the Harris signing, just a little worried about him staying healthy as he has struggled with that.  More so for the cold weather games where I don’t love the idea of having to lean on Cook and Hines later in the season where the weather gets bad for us. 

I agree with your points.  I do think that Murray provides solid insurance against Harris getting banged up.  Overall, I think we are stronger there.  The receiver group is definitely better with the promising Shakir in his second year, and the additions of Harty, Sherfield, and Shorter replacing the stiffs we had in those slots last year.  If Kincaid can perform, and Dorsey can get all the pieces involved, the Bills will be very dangerous.   We are clearly better and deeper at guard, but tackle is a concern.  Brown has to step up, and our depth there is poor.  My biggest concern for sure.  

Edited by FLFan

17 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

McGivern, he’ll anyone is better than Saffold, worse than a Jamaica NY subway turnstyle, and Mount OCyrus looks very promising.

Spencer Brown as I’ve written several times had back and neck issues all off qseason last year, and no preparation prior to his rookie year due to COVID.  The year before he had no college season as it was again due to COVID.

He should be fine this year.

All of those things look at the positive outcome. There's nothing saying Brown will be better than he has been or even be healthier than he has been. The rookie is a rookie and is unproven and McGovern is a mid level FA. Is he better than Saffold? Maybe. There are a TON of maybes which is what makes the line a question. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

2022 season:

2019 to 2022

Singletary to Harris is the wrong comparison.  I always liked him, but Cook was carrying more of the the load and outperforming him late in the year.  Cook is the replacement and he is more dynamic without question.  Harris is more than an adequate change of pace, and Murray can pound the rock. Devin will not be missed.  

22 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Singletary to Harris is the wrong comparison.  I always liked him, but Cook was carrying more of the the load and outperforming him late in the year.  Cook is the replacement and he is more dynamic without question.  Harris is more than an adequate change of pace, and Murray can pound the rock. Devin will not be missed.  

Obviously I hope you are right. 

But Cook has not been an every down back in college or the NFL. Physically he does not seem like that kind of back, one who could carry the ball 15-25 times a game, week after week.  If so, that means Harris is likely that guy, but he has trouble staying healthy, while I cannot recall Singletary missing any game or playing time because of injury.

All of this is moot if Dorsey decides the running game is not important, again.

3 hours ago, FLFan said:

I agree with your points.  I do think that Murray provides solid insurance against Harris getting banged up.  Overall, I think we are stronger there.  The receiver group is definitely better with the promising Shakir in his second year, and the additions of Harry, Sherfield, and Shorter replacing the stiffs we had in those slots last year.  If Kincaid can perform, and Dorsey can get all the pieces involved, the Bills will be very dangerous.   We are clearly better and deeper at guard, but tackle is a concern.  Brown has to step up, and our depth there is poor.  My biggest concern for sure.  

Yeah, like the Murray signing, I posted that before he was signed.  Murray was a nice insurance add

8 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

2022 season:

2019 to 2022

Very well said. A reality based post although negative in sentiment is refreshing. 

22 hours ago, eball said:

Fantastic post!  Not sure how the negative ninnies will react but I love it!

I know how the unrealistic homers will react to it. They will love it! 

Not sure what people are smoking thinking this offense is better than the Bills 90s Super Bowl team. Not even close folks...

8 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Harris best season is better than singletarys best season. 

Which means nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

My questions...

Will Dorsey do better in Year 2 than he did in the second half of Year 1?

Dorsey follow up:  Dorsey has a diverse RB room - will he figure out how to optimize their individual skill sets?  

Did Beane do enough to fix the OL?

Will Kincaid make an impact as a rookie?

Will Josh's UCL bother him again this season?

Will Gabe step up?  (Although, even if he doesn't, I think top-to-bottom we have a better receiving corps this year).  

We need affirmative answers on these for the Bills to have the best offense ever.  But what does "best" even mean?  In 1990, the Bills averaged 26.8 points a game - best in the NFL that year but wouldn't be this season.  Rule changes tend to promote scoring so I'm not sure how to compare offenses from different eras.  

Great questions. 

This offense will be good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.