ProFootballTalk's one and only 2023 mock draft

Sierra Foothills

"Here’s our one and only mock draft. I have no pride of authorship because I didn’t do it. I’ve got someone I trust who isn’t currently working for any team who puts it together. It’s ultimately as good a collection of guesses as anyone’s.

As always, I don’t care if any of the picks are right. As always, I don’t care if you call it the “worst mock draft ever.” (As always, one or more of my past mock drafts will be happy to lose that crown.)

As always, I’ve thought about tinkering with my outsourced source’s selections. But then I reminded myself once again that I just don’t care. If any of these picks are right, I don’t want the credit. For all that are wrong, I’ll gladly take the blame.

So, once again, here goes nothing. Literally. With 31 picks, because the Dolphins lost theirs for tampering with Tom Brady and Sean Payton last season, and a bonus at the bottom for No. 32."

1. Panthers (from Bears): Bryce Young, quarterback, Alabama.

2. Texans: Will Anderson, Jr., edge, Alabama.

3. Cardinals: Jalen Carter, defensive tackle, Georgia.

4. Colts: Will Levis, quarterback, Kentucky.

5. Seahawks (from Broncos): Anthony Richardson, quarterback, Florida.

6. Lions (from Rams): Devon Witherspoon, cornerback, Illinois.

7. Raiders: Christian Gonzalez, cornerback, Oregon.

8. Falcons: C.J. Stroud, quarterback, Ohio State.

9. Bears (from Panthers): Peter Skoronski, tackle, Northwestern.

10. Eagles (from Saints): Paris Johnson Jr., tackle, Ohio State.

11. Titans: Hendon Hooker, quarterback, Tennessee.

12. Texans (from Browns): Jaxon Smith-Njigba, receiver, Ohio State.

13. Packers (from Jets): Zay Flowers, receiver, Boston College.

14. Patriots: Nolan Smith, outside linebacker, Georgia.

15. Jets (from Packers): Tyree Wilson, edge, Texas Tech.

16. Commanders: Anton Harrison, tackle, Oklahoma.

17. Steelers: Brian Branch, Alabama, defensive back.

18. Lions: Deonte Banks, cornerback, Maryland.

19. Buccaneers: Bijan Robinson, running back, Texas.

20. Seahawks: Myles Murphy, edge, Clemson.

21. Chargers: Michael Mayer, tight end, Notre Dame.

22. Ravens: Lukas Van Ness, defensive line, Iowa.

23. Vikings: Jordan Addison, receiver, USC.

24. Jaguars: Emmanuel Forbes, cornerback, Mississippi State.

25. Giants: Isaiah Foskey, edge, Notre Dame.

26. Cowboys: Dalton Kincaid, tight end, Utah.

27. Bills: Quentin Johnston, receiver, TCU.

28. Bengals: Bryan Bresee, defensive tackle, Clemson.

29. Saints (from 49ers through the Dolphins and Saints): Darnell Wright, tackle, Tennessee.

30. Eagles: Calijah Kancey, defensive tackle, Pitt.

31. Chiefs: Will McDonald, edge, Iowa State.

(The 32nd pick will be the Steelers taking Penn State cornerback Joey Porter, Jr.)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/25/pfts-one-and-only-2023-mock-draft/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

"Here’s our one and only mock draft. I have no pride of authorship because I didn’t do it. I’ve got someone I trust who isn’t currently working for any team who puts it together. It’s ultimately as good a collection of guesses as anyone’s.

As always, I don’t care if any of the picks are right. As always, I don’t care if you call it the “worst mock draft ever.” (As always, one or more of my past mock drafts will be happy to lose that crown.)

As always, I’ve thought about tinkering with my outsourced source’s selections. But then I reminded myself once again that I just don’t care. If any of these picks are right, I don’t want the credit. For all that are wrong, I’ll gladly take the blame.

So, once again, here goes nothing. Literally. With 31 picks, because the Dolphins lost theirs for tampering with Tom Brady and Sean Payton last season, and a bonus at the bottom for No. 32."

1. Panthers (from Bears): Bryce Young, quarterback, Alabama.

2. Texans: Will Anderson, Jr., edge, Alabama.

3. Cardinals: Jalen Carter, defensive tackle, Georgia.

4. Colts: Will Levis, quarterback, Kentucky.

5. Seahawks (from Broncos): Anthony Richardson, quarterback, Florida.

6. Lions (from Rams): Devon Witherspoon, cornerback, Illinois.

7. Raiders: Christian Gonzalez, cornerback, Oregon.

8. Falcons: C.J. Stroud, quarterback, Ohio State.

9. Bears (from Panthers): Peter Skoronski, tackle, Northwestern.

10. Eagles (from Saints): Paris Johnson Jr., tackle, Ohio State.

11. Titans: Hendon Hooker, quarterback, Tennessee.

12. Texans (from Browns): Jaxon Smith-Njigba, receiver, Ohio State.

13. Packers (from Jets): Zay Flowers, receiver, Boston College.

14. Patriots: Nolan Smith, outside linebacker, Georgia.

15. Jets (from Packers): Tyree Wilson, edge, Texas Tech.

16. Commanders: Anton Harrison, tackle, Oklahoma.

17. Steelers: Brian Branch, Alabama, defensive back.

18. Lions: Deonte Banks, cornerback, Maryland.

19. Buccaneers: Bijan Robinson, running back, Texas.

20. Seahawks: Myles Murphy, edge, Clemson.

21. Chargers: Michael Mayer, tight end, Notre Dame.

22. Ravens: Lukas Van Ness, defensive line, Iowa.

23. Vikings: Jordan Addison, receiver, USC.

24. Jaguars: Emmanuel Forbes, cornerback, Mississippi State.

25. Giants: Isaiah Foskey, edge, Notre Dame.

26. Cowboys: Dalton Kincaid, tight end, Utah.

27. Bills: Quentin Johnston, receiver, TCU.

28. Bengals: Bryan Bresee, defensive tackle, Clemson.

29. Saints (from 49ers through the Dolphins and Saints): Darnell Wright, tackle, Tennessee.

30. Eagles: Calijah Kancey, defensive tackle, Pitt.

31. Chiefs: Will McDonald, edge, Iowa State.

(The 32nd pick will be the Steelers taking Penn State cornerback Joey Porter, Jr.)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/25/pfts-one-and-only-2023-mock-draft/

no sir, I don’t like it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Yes this is the growing consensus on Johnston, an athlete that doesn't have the hands, polish or production to feel good about. 

However, wouldn't it be on the Bills coaches to hone what Johnston can do and work him into the offense? He's 6'3" 210 pounds and has some snap on routes underneath.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

He may turn out to be good, but nothing on video about this guy screams high level WR.

Would rather trade our 3rd for Hopkins and take Darnell Wright at 27.

When I watch Johnson I feel the same way I felt watching Tee Higgins. Meh, he’s big and athletic but nothing special.

Well I won’t make the same mistake twice. If we stay at 27 and he’s there with JSN, Flowers, and Addison gone then I’m drafting him.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

Based on our pre-draft visits, I think the Bills are targeting WRs with versatility to play outside and in the slot.

Quentin Johnson seems like an X receiver only to me, so I don't really think he fits the mold.  He was also one of the only early WR prospects (1st Round or early 2nd Round) we didn't reportedly bring in for a visit.  The other WR missing from that list is Josh Downs (another popular mock pick for us), who most people feel is a slot receiver only.

In the scenario above, I believe the Bills would probably seek a trade-down first.  If not, they would probably consider Jalin Hyatt or Darnell Wright (not a receiver, but good value at #27).

• Like (+1) 2

My daughter goes to TCU so I have seen Johnson play quite a bit (when he wasn't injured).  I would not draft him in the first round and agree with the comments above regarding him not being polished, playing smaller than he is and excelling against weak secondaries.  

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Like (+1) 4

Seems like a potential talent - size and relative speed.

He's really, really open in the clips I saw but it feels it's as much the lack of quality DBs as it is his route running. He also lets balls plunk into his chest instead of attacking them with his hands. As it stands without training, he'd lose a lot of contested balls, which our current WR2s struggle with. 

I'm not sure a development player is the wise round 1 pick for a team on the cusp of a championship. Seems like a round 2 talent, but what do I know. 

14 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Agreed.  He dominated a good TCU offensive line in the TCU vs Texas Tech game last season.

I don’t see any way he slides out of the top 6.  Easily the best edge rusher in the class.

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Definitely don’t want Tyree Wilson on the Jets

If the Jets select Tryee Wilson, and the board fell this way, and the Bills did not select Wright (or even Torrence or Avila, ) i would be upset. 

3 hours ago, mannc said:

I don’t see any way he slides out of the top 6.  Easily the best edge rusher in the class.

He has plummeted on reputable Big Boards. I don't know why.   PFF had him top 10 all draft season, until a couple of days ago they dropped him to 28. 

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

If the Jets select Tryee Wilson, and the board fell this way, and the Bills did not select Wright (or even Torrence or Avila, ) i would be upset. 

He has plummeted on reputable Big Boards. I don't know why.   PFF had him top 10 all draft season, until a couple of days ago they dropped him to 28. 

Must be medical

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.