"We can't get an impact WR in the 2nd round"

Rigotz

10 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

So far Claypool, Moore and Pittman aren't any better than Gabe Davis

I know how unpopular this is, but I expect to see more of “Good Gabe” this year if he stays healthy. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Why am I seeing this loser mentality in every thread?

It's ok if you want to trade for DeAndre Hopkins or if you feel Beane has a bad track record in the 2nd round ... but multiple threads have these snarky little comments like "oh boy, can't wait to get another AJ Epenesa this year!!" 

Every GM misses draft picks... but look at WR's drafted in the 2nd round in the past 4 years alone:

- Deebo Samuel

- AJ Brown

- DK Metcalf

- Diontae Johnson

- Tee Higgins

- Michael Pittman

- Chase Claypool

- Elijah Moore

- Christian Watson

Again, totally fine if you like the certainty of trading for Hopkins, but acting like 2nd round picks are "overrated" is insane. Imagine having any of those guys above for cheap across from Diggs for the next 4 years. Now, imagine using the $20M/yr Hopkins is due on a DE/DT/OG/etc. from Free Agency... in ADDITION to still having Deebo, Brown, Higgins, etc. THAT is why 2nd round picks are valuable. Drop the "we never get it right :(" attitude and try a little optimism. 👍

Metcalf should have been picked at #9 and I'll go to my grave saying so

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Go OT, Mingo, AND trade for Hopkins.  

That’s my dream scenario.   

^^

Yes I’m good with Wright at 27 - if no OT trade back again - assuming we’ve done so already with Arizona for Nuke

Not going to happen. We only have room for 1 top end WR. If we trade for Hopkins, we aren't taking a WR in Rounds 1 or 2. If we take a WR in Round 1 or 2, we won't be trading for Hopkins.

We have too many things to do across the roster to spend a 2nd Round Pick on a WR who would be beneath Diggs and Hopkins on the roster for 2 seasons at least.

We'd need to trade at least a 3 for Hopkins, so now we're talking using all of our Day 2 Picks (and maybe more) just at WR. When we have to (at least) get a MLB, need help at OT and Interior OL, need a 2nd TE, and need a DT (every single one of our DT's are FA's next season). And with what we'd have to pay Hopkins, we need to fill all of that in the Draft.

And the team isn't going to go from thinking Davis was such a solid #3 he should be promoted to #2 to he performed under par at #2 in his first season starting while dealing with injuries, so we're going to bury him on the Depth Chart at #4.

Davis is going to be here for at least this season. And Beane's openly talked about wanting to re-sign him. To trade for Hopkins and Draft Mingo would be to completely give up on Davis. And I don't see Beane wanting to do that.

It's either Diggs, Hopkins, Davis, and Sherfield on the Outside with Harty and Shakir in the Slot OR Diggs, A 1st or 2nd Round WR, Davis, and Sherfield on the Outside with Harty and Shakir in the Slot. At most, they'd trade for Hopkins and Draft a developmental prospect in the later rounds - but your dream scenario can't and won't happen.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I get what you’re saying but I don’t think that’s how it works. Teams grade players and the draft plays out based on that.

It was considered weak draft leading up to the draft.

I'm sure that's how it works actually.   It's just human nature to get shy about over-drafting a position when for 4 years in a row that specific position has failed to meet expectations.   Littered with 1st round busts.   Maybe the worst stretch of WR drought in NFL draft history.    And conversely,  a very strong draft like 2014 can lead to overconfidence the next season.   2015 saw 6 1st round WR's and 5 were true draft busts for those teams.   Amari Cooper being the exception.   2016 class was an 0-4.   Even the 2018 group with Moore and Ridley was a bit too wait and see yet compared to that awesome 2014 goup.

But that 2019 WR group was a very imposing bunch of WR's on the hoof including maybe the greatest WR combine performance ever by DK.   Deebo and AJ Brown also killed the pre-draft process.    That would have been a 6 #1 pick class if it were evaluated in 2015 too.........and would have largely been worth it.  Crazy in retrospect how Brown and (typical Patriot head scratcher) Nkeal Harry were the only 2 to go off the board in round 1.   

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So the numbers don’t actually reflect that

thanks

Such a weak post John.  Yes John, numbers 💯 reflect that Pittman is better. It’s 2023, I’m sure you can use the search engine of choice to show you that Pittman > Davis.

Almost all the numbers reflect Pittman being better.  Catches, yards, catch%, drops,  Thanks to Josh Allen (and all the bum QBs throwing the ball to Pittman) Davis has more TDs and a dominant yards per reception. 

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

I know how unpopular this is, but I expect to see more of “Good Gabe” this year if he stays healthy. 

I agree.  Same for Ed.  It’s time to get paid.  Tremaine did the same last year.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

It's ok if you want to trade for DeAndre Hopkins or if you feel Beane has a bad track record in the 2nd round ... but multiple threads have these snarky little comments like "oh boy, can't wait to get another AJ Epenesa this year!!" 

Every GM misses draft picks... but look at WR's drafted in the 2nd round in the past 4 years alone:

- Deebo Samuel

- AJ Brown

- DK Metcalf

- Diontae Johnson

- Tee Higgins

- Michael Pittman

- Chase Claypool

- Elijah Moore

- Christian Watson

Again, totally fine if you like the certainty of trading for Hopkins, but acting like 2nd round picks are "overrated" is insane. Imagine having any of those guys above for cheap across from Diggs for the next 4 years. Now, imagine using the $20M/yr Hopkins is due on a DE/DT/OG/etc. from Free Agency... in ADDITION to still having Deebo, Brown, Higgins, etc. THAT is why 2nd round picks are valuable. Drop the "we never get it right :(" attitude and try a little optimism. 👍

Good post.  But here's my issue.

Beane made a franchise-transforming move when he traded up and nabbed Allen.  But other than that, he's been rather mediocre in the draft.  Can we find a good WR in the second round?  Yes, we can.  Will we?  Sorry, I'm not feeling your optimism - I don't think the odds are great.  

That's why Hopkins is attractive - he's a proven commodity.  

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm sure that's how it works actually.   It's just human nature to get shy about over-drafting a position when for 4 years in a row that specific position has failed to meet expectations.   Littered with 1st round busts.   Maybe the worst stretch of WR drought in NFL draft history.    And conversely,  a very strong draft like 2014 can lead to overconfidence the next season.   2015 saw 6 1st round WR's and 5 were true draft busts for those teams.   Amari Cooper being the exception.   2016 class was an 0-4.   Even the 2018 group with Moore and Ridley was a bit too wait and see yet compared to that awesome 2014 goup.

But that 2019 WR group was a very imposing bunch of WR's on the hoof including maybe the greatest WR combine performance ever by DK.   Deebo and AJ Brown also killed the pre-draft process.    That would have been a 6 #1 pick class if it were evaluated in 2015 too.........and would have largely been worth it.  Crazy in retrospect how Brown and (typical Patriot head scratcher) Nkeal Harry were the only 2 to go off the board in round 1.   

So you’re saying because of past draft failures teams lowered their grades on WR’s?

Ive just never heard of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Big difference? Those draft classes likely had better WR talent to push more players into the 2nd round…

2019 had Marquis Brown and N’Keal Harry go in the late 1st. 

Deebo, AJ Brown, Dk, in the 2nd. Dionte Johnson, Terry McClurin in the 3rd. Hunter Renfrow in the 5th.

Teams just missed out on WR talent. No one got pushed down do to talent at the top. Patriots would love a do over.

In 2020 the Bills felt Gabe Davis was much higher rated but got pushed down do to the amount of highly graded WRs.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Beane is resolute about not getting burnt by an expensive signing after the devastating Miller injury. Now everyone and their mother acknowledges the need to surround Josh with better weapons at RB, wide receiver and O-line. When Brandon

adds the Pats abandoned RB Harris and brings in  the Dolphins backup and a guy who missed last season(Hardy), that makes some fans uneasy. If he had signed one of the FA upper tier LBs, that would be one thing but this guy thinks he can reinvent the wheel with cheap dumpster diving. I’ll keep an open mind but football analysts agree, the roster needs a few important upgrades.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Mims is going to end up being a player

Explosive player. He's been on the move up (unfortunately) since the Combine. Early reports had him in the third or later. I think he will go second or early third. Another very interesting guy is the Spartan Jayden Reed, pegged as a fourth or fifth round prospect in what I've seen. Another guy who is explosive and extremely competitive. Like Mims great return guy too. He's decent size but plays bigger. 

Edited by starrymessenger

3 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Beane is resolute about not getting burnt by an expensive signing after the devastating Miller injury. Now everyone and their mother acknowledges the need to surround Josh with better weapons at RB, wide receiver and O-line. When Brandon

adds the Pats abandoned RB Harris and brings in  the Dolphins backup and a guy who missed last season(Hardy), that makes some fans uneasy. If he had signed one of the FA upper tier LBs, that would be one thing but this guy thinks he can reinvent the wheel with cheap dumpster diving. I’ll keep an open mind but football analysts agree, the roster needs a few important upgrades.

They need to replace Beasley, going on year 2 trying. They also need to improve RT and LG.

Im good with our RBs. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So you’re saying because of past draft failures teams lowered their grades on WR’s?

Ive just never heard of that. 

Absolutely.   Human nature to do things like copying what worked recently and shunning what hasn't trumps any perception of impartial grading.    Hopefully that doesn't change because it's a lot more entertaining watching teams make emotional decisions and the consequences that follow than seeing everyone get the value they should, in theory,  from their picks.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They need to replace Beasley, going on year 2 trying. They also need to improve RT and LG.

Im good with our RBs. 

Harris can’t stay on the field so far in his years with NE. Beane has not addressed the Edmunds departure and he hasn’t improved our talent level at receiver adequately. With RT and TE a need, are you confident we will improve our roster to compete with Cinn. and KC?

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

- Deebo Samuel

- AJ Brown

- DK Metcalf

- Diontae Johnson

- Tee Higgins

- Michael Pittman

- Chase Claypool

- Elijah Moore

- Christian Watson

I have colleagues that can pull hot woman in the bar after 10pm.

I can’t.

Looking at their great track record doesn’t help my misfortune.

Beane has shown himself incapable of drafting great players in the 2nd. Doesn’t matter what other GM’s have done.

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.