The Shopping Cart Theory Revisited

T&C

Oddly, I pride myself on being a net positive on cart return. I’ll grab one in the corral for a test drive in, or better yet find someone who just finished emptying it and offering to save them the trip or the guilt of a less than ideal disposal. That always gets a warm thank you. 

EDIT: I just realized the article was about moral character. Never mind. I’m screwed there!  😂 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I return mine to the corral. Unless I'm at Aldi's, then it goes back to the store entrance, cause I want my 25 cents back! 

I get an empty box at Aldi and just walk around getting whatever. Shopping carts all over the lot... I just grab one and hand it over to someone heading into the store. A quarter isn't a big deal anymore.

2 hours ago, T&C said:

I still return them when able to. Are you lazy and don't?

https://mediachomp.com/the-shopping-cart-theory-determines-moral-character/

My closest supermarket puts their cart corrals at the outer limits of the parking lot. It's closer to bring them back in the store.

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My closest supermarket puts their cart corrals at the outer limits of the parking lot. It's closer to bring them back in the store.

I don't know what this means tbh...

I used to be a launcher. Now in my middle ages I simply take it to a corral. 

There are self-serving reasons for returning carts though. One is that your choice could be observed by friends or acquaintances and that your choice will impact their opinion of your character. A second is that by returning the cart you are enforcing the social norm of doing so, thus decreasing the chances of the wind blowing a cart into the side of your new Porsche.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

There are self-serving reasons for returning carts though. One is that your choice could be observed by friends or acquaintances and that your choice will impact their opinion of your character. A second is that by returning the cart you are enforcing the social norm of doing so, thus decreasing the chances of the wind blowing a cart into the side of your new Porsche.

:thumbsup:

Someday, I hope most people will realize that every act of altruism is self-serving in one way or another. And I mean that in an entirely secular sense, as in the bolded part of your comment.

Pay it forward, and eventually, it'll come back.

• Agree 3

43 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

:thumbsup:

Someday, I hope most people will realize that every act of altruism is self-serving in one way or another. And I mean that in an entirely secular sense, as in the bolded part of your comment.

Pay it forward, and eventually, it'll come back.

That’s the truth.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.