The Allen-Diggs Relationship in Decline?

hondo in seattle

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Honorable attempt at facts but I dont think "thats no moon" is emotionally amble enough to accept reality.

What's reality? I'm just curious?

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Huh.  If you remember attending and winning 3 AFC championship games, do you remember that Kelly's 1st 3 years with the Bills were 4-12, then 7-8, then 12-4 with high expectations and LOST the AFC championship, then 9-7 on a team that had been expected to contend for the AFC Championship again but LOST in the divisional round?

So basically you're upset with a year in which we lost in the divisional round again, but this time after a 13-3 season where we lost our defensive star at Thanksgiving?

Well, I'm not sure why we are tracking Kelly specifically rather than the team? Is it because we are then tracking Allen alongside that?

I remember a couple other teams we played alongside during that time that always crashed out and couldn't get past us to get over the hump. Ironically Kansas City comes to mind. Lots of wins every year, lost every year and couldn't get there. Were they great?

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Honorable attempt at facts but I dont think "thats no moon" is emotionally amble enough to accept reality.

What if the fact is that they had their shot two years ago and blew it?

• Agree 1

On 4/19/2023 at 7:09 PM, Big Blitz said:

I would argue it’s probably more accurate to say these guys were never “besties” or whatever.  

Just 2 guys having a blast winning games and making millions and becoming household names. 

I put the odds at around 90% at some point this exchange happened likely at some point during or after the Minnesota Meltdown:

Diggs:  “You’re elite because I showed up.”

Allen:  “You’re elite because of me.”  

Diggs:  “Stop throwing to our trash WR 3 and Singletary who has no YAC.”

Allen:  “I can’t throw to you every play.”

Diggs:  “Yes you can.”

I couldn’t care less.  Diggs sees the end of his peak years coming and that’s what he cares about - winning a SB while he can.  Allen has hopefully 15 years left in the league.  

We’re having this discussion bc WRs are divas.  Period.  Unless something happened off the field which I highly highly doubt.  

AJ Brown was complaining during the playoffs about getting the ball.  It just comes with the territory.  

With Josh and Diggs, they both made the other better.  Whether Stephon gets a Super Bowl ring remains to seen.  But , I believe if they continue to play together for a significant number of years, Stephon has an excellent shot at being a Hall of Famer.  He will have the numbers.  That was never a possibility until he teamed up with JA17.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2023 at 10:50 AM, billsfan89 said:

I don’t like Diggs antics but he is at least coming from the right place. As far as Diggs and Josh? I wouldn’t worry about it.

I was worried in April.  I'm more worried now that Diggs didn't report.  

Hopefully, it'll all be good by the time we play the Jets.  

On 4/19/2023 at 6:34 PM, hondo in seattle said:

We all know that Allen and Diggs are/were best friends.  We also all know what happened with Diggs at the end of the last season.

Recently, Allen was asked if his relationship with Diggs was still solid.  He responded, "Absolutely...  Stef's gonng be Stef.  I love the guy. He is one of my favorite people on this planet. He is so fiery, so competitive. He wants the ball in his hands 24/7, and I’m never going to not like a guy like that. He wants what’s best for the team.”

To me, that sounds a lot like coach-speak.  Allen keeps it positive, as he should.  But he never actually says that he and Diggs are still talking, hanging out, playing games together, acting like brothers from different mothers...  And his comment, "I'm never going to dislike a guy like that" came off as a little odd to me.  Who said anything about disliking?  Do you have reasons to dislike Stef that you're overcoming?  

I'm not going to churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques, bawling my eyes out, earnestly praying for divine intervention for them to patch things up.  But I do have some concerns about their relationship this year.  I hope those concerns are wrong.  

It's just the kind of thing we like to worry about, when there's pretty much no evidence. 

What we know is that Diggs is prickly.  More so than he ought to be, as far as I'm concerned, but that's how he is.   His commitment to winning is A-1, and I think his willingness to respond to McDermott's leadership will win the day.  But there's no way to know how any of this will go until it plays out.  Maybe Diggs starts to get more out of line, maybe not.  All we can do is wait and see. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's just the kind of thing we like to worry about, when there's pretty much no evidence. 

What we know is that Diggs is prickly.  More so than he ought to be, as far as I'm concerned, but that's how he is.   His commitment to winning is A-1, and I think his willingness to respond to McDermott's leadership will win the day.  But there's no way to know how any of this will go until it plays out.  Maybe Diggs starts to get more out of line, maybe not.  All we can do is wait and see. 

Maybe no damning, conclusive evidence.  But some suggestive stuff:  The blow-up at the end of last season...  some of the odd commentary from Josh...  the lack of any news of them hanging out during the offseason...  Diggs' absence at the start of minicamp...  

These guys were best friends - joined at the hip - but, since Diggs' outburst, there's been no public evidence of that friendship.  Players don't need to be great friends but there does need to be some rapport. 

As a long-suffering Bills fan who's endured 4 SB losses, the Home Run Throwback, 13 seconds, and a host of other disappointments, I tend to assume the worst even as I continue to hope for the best.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

So your "mature" reaction is to curse a man? Got it 

Yep. Don't you have another thread to start about your obsession with Dhop to concern yourself with? Posting a response to me seems like it's wasting valuable time you could be spending denying reality. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Smoke...fire

More reason we need Dhop. This team without Diggs is in trouble. Maybe its less about Allen and more about the front office not helping him out at WR. This team still has no one that can take pressure off Diggs just a handful of role guys. 

14 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Smoke...fire

More reason we need Dhop. This team without Diggs is in trouble. Maybe its less about Allen and more about the front office not helping him out at WR. This team still has no one that can take pressure off Diggs just a handful of role guys. 

They drafted the best receiving TE in the draft.  

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe no damning, conclusive evidence.  But some suggestive stuff:  The blow-up at the end of last season...  some of the odd commentary from Josh...  the lack of any news of them hanging out during the offseason...  Diggs' absence at the start of minicamp...  

These guys were best friends - joined at the hip - but, since Diggs' outburst, there's been no public evidence of that friendship.  Players don't need to be great friends but there does need to be some rapport. 

As a long-suffering Bills fan who's endured 4 SB losses, the Home Run Throwback, 13 seconds, and a host of other disappointments, I tend to assume the worst even as I continue to hope for the best.  

Pretty thin evidence.

Until the no show today.  That's real evidence. 

FWIW, in another thread, @HappyDays says this:

This is correct. More specifically, the blow up was Diggs saying to Josh "what's your excuse now?" (I have actually heard the audio, it was picked up by whoever was wearing the mic'd up microphone for that game) because Josh missed a throw in the game that he had also missed in practice. Their relationship has frayed.

www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/247932-diggs-not-at-mandatory-minicamp-mcdermott-very-concerned/page/29/

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Thank you (+1) 1