Still so many excellent CB and DE available in FA

ganesh

37 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I imagine the next wave of signings for the league as a whole will come after the draft and again when it stops affecting comp picks. 

I think the date for the comp pick consideration is over and also as long as these guys salaries are under 2M, then they also don't count against the cap.

31 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Over the edge into washed up/priced out oblivion? Oh wait, you meant over the top. Right.

The chiefs signed Dunlap last year and he played him about 40-60% of the snaps all season.  Won the SB

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2023-who-are-the-best-players-available

Just looking through this list, the Bills should be able to pick a CB and DE on a one year deal that can put them over the edge.   I don't think Epenesa and Basham have that kind of pedigree. 

Go Bills!

Wow, I'm surprised at the number of decent players still out there. I wonder if some are viewed as over the hill by some teams. Also some teams might be waiting until after the draft to fill spots. Some of these players & their agents also could bank on getting more money after the draft. Anyways thanks for posting--interesting list.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, LEBills said:

I imagine the next wave of signings for the league as a whole will come after the draft and again when it stops affecting comp picks. 

Exactly.  Beane is definitely getting that 3rd for Edmunds , as he should 

I'm sure there's at least 1 FAs agent that we have a deal ready to go after the draft. 

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2023-who-are-the-best-players-available

Just looking through this list, the Bills should be able to pick a CB and DE on a one year deal that can put them over the edge.   I don't think Epenesa and Basham have that kind of pedigree. 

Go Bills!

So who do you think they should bring in?

A bit of back of the envelope roster and cap math:

At this point, the Bills have 68 guys under contract. 

They have 6 draft picks: 74 guys

They usually bring in 10-12 UDFA, 84-86 guys under contract

So, they would in theory have roster spots for 4-6 guys

BUT

They will also need to look carefully at the roster

For one thing, getting some guaranteed $$ is gonna be important to these guys, and we don't have enough cap space to hand those guaranteed $$ out too freely.  Assuming Lawson and Jarvis signed for vet minimum or close to it, we have about $6M in cap available at the moment.

The rookie class should cost about $2.3M ($4.6M total but bump 2 guys off the top 51), leaving about $3.8M

So if we want some signings above vet minimum, we got to make some cap moves.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

Some pretty good DEs still left. Likely to cost a bit much for us, but possible, I think, if the demand isn't what the players hope. We'll know after or possibly even during the draft.

And for the Bills particularly, on May 3rd.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 4/16/2023 at 6:30 AM, ganesh said:

Go Bills!

Beans may be able to include one of them in a trade scenario to move up for a bit less draft capital if needed not exactly sure how all that works or another team that is in need of a younger edge rusher like Houston might be willing to trade say a pick next year for one of them if Beane doesn't see the improvement he wants in them .

Then he may be able to bring in another FA & with 1 of them gone it could off set the cap space needed to do so but i ain't no GM so i'll leave it up to Beane to do his thing & trust what ever he does to get the Bills where they need to be .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.