Prayer service planned for Kim Pegula

BillsFan619

13 minutes ago, Dan in Owego said:

Might want too consider Orthodox

Know a couple who have later in life as well

I like Eastern rite Catholic. Orthodoxy retains elements of the Greek patristic heritage that are recessed in the Latin tradition.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2023 at 4:45 PM, Momma Pecoraro said:

I know a Lutheran who converted to Catholicism last year at 59.

That’s all I got.

As a practicing Catholic my whole life Lutheran is close there isn’t much difference but there are some differences. I believe Lutheran was named for Martin Luther that left the Catholic Church that is all I got. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2023 at 9:42 AM, SoMAn said:

I don’t understand the need for communal prayer as opposed to anyone who wants to independently pray in solitude.
Does a group prayer somehow boost the signal to the creator to ensure it doesn’t end up in the ‘missed messages’ bin?  

I got the impression from Jessica Pegula’s public message that Kim is still recovering, but we probably shouldn’t expect her to ever be 100% back to where she was prior to her cardiac and stroke episodes. I think it’s likely she’ll always have speech and mobility issues. She’s lucky to have survived. God bless her. 

Admitting you don't understand something is the first step towards making the effort to understand.  Good luck on your journey. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Admitting you don't understand something is the first step towards making the effort to understand.  Good luck on your journey. 

It's the LAMPing of prayer. Sort of like tweeting "thoughts and prayers" when something bad happens.

19 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

As a practicing Catholic my whole life Lutheran is close there isn’t much difference but there are some differences. I believe Lutheran was named for Martin Luther that left the Catholic Church that is all I got. 

Are you allowed to talk to God directly or do you need to go through a middle man is one. Do you believe the Pope is infallible and incapable of being wrong or sinning is another.

Believe whatever you want, just understand whatever it is you choose to believe. Some religions have a more difficult road to hoe than others in that regard.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It's the LAMPing of prayer. Sort of like tweeting "thoughts and prayers" when something bad happens.

Are you allowed to talk to God directly or do you need to go through a middle man is one. Do you believe the Pope is infallible and incapable of being wrong or sinning is another.

Believe whatever you want, just understand whatever it is you choose to believe. Some religions have a more difficult road to hoe than others in that regard.

Your post reveals absolute total ignorance of Catholic theology. 

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Funny. I went to Catholic high school.

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Flip through the pages of history and you'll understand that being Catholic is nothing to be proud of. You do you though. I seriously don't care. Pick your own imaginary friends.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Funny. I went to Catholic high school.

Flip through the pages of history and you'll understand that being Catholic is nothing to be proud of. You do you though. I seriously don't care. Pick your own imaginary friends.

Going to Catholic high school doesn't mean you have a correct grasp of Catholic theology. If you dislike the Church, that's your business, but simply as a matter of fact, you appear to think that papal infallibility involves a sinless life and perfect knowledge both of which are manifestly incorrect. Papal infallibility involves very narrowly circumscribed conditions in which the pope speaks authoritatively for the lived wisdom tradition of the Church on matters of faith and doctrine. It is not a dictatorship of one and it does not mean the pope is ethically pure, a saint, or unable to make erroneous statements.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Going to Catholic high school doesn't mean you have a correct grasp of Catholic theology. If you dislike the Church, that's your business, but simply as a matter of fact, you appear to think that papal infallibility involves a sinless life and perfect knowledge both of which are manifestly incorrect. Papal infallibility involves very narrowly circumscribed conditions in which the pope speaks authoritatively for the lived wisdom tradition of the Church on matters of faith and doctrine. It is not a dictatorship of one and it does not mean the pope is ethically pure, a saint, or unable to make erroneous statements.

Noted. Enjoy yourselves with the amended definition of infallibility that they have crafted around themselves. Catholicism repudiated the Papal Bull of 1452 like last week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

How many Popes are there at once?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

How many Popes are there at once?

Well, as you probably know historically there have been times when there were rival claimants, not to mention the novelty of an emeritus pope, but the operative word in the phrase you bolded is dictatorship. You might have looked to the prior sentence for an explanation where I assert that "the pope speaks authoritatively for the lived wisdom tradition of the Church" which indicates an ecclesial witness that is broader than an individual deciding which is how modern people tend to conceptualize it. It doesn't really matter if non-Catholics find that ridiculous. I am attempting to clarify the grounding of papal infallibility within Catholic theology -- and of course, as That's No Moon indicates, one can always dismiss all this as an innovation that obscures a different history.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

There you go again. I mean, you see what you are doing, right? 

let the guy talk--see below.  Feel free to participate. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, as you probably know historically there have been times when there were rival claimants, not to mention the novelty of an emeritus pope, but the operative word in the phrase you bolded is dictatorship. You might have looked to the prior sentence for an explanation where I assert that "the pope speaks authoritatively for the lived wisdom tradition of the Church" which indicates an ecclesial witness that is broader than an individual deciding which is how modern people tend to conceptualize it. It doesn't really matter if non-Catholics find that ridiculous. I am attempting to clarify the grounding of papal infallibility within Catholic theology -- and of course, as That's No Moon indicates, one can always dismiss all this as an innovation that obscures a different history.

My point is that there is not another infallible person in the Catholic church--he has no rivals.  "dictator" isn't by definition malevolent, it is just one who rules with absolute power and authority.  By definition, the Pope's infallibility in all things regarding the Church, it's theology and practice, grants him absolute power and authority over the Church.  

On 4/19/2023 at 5:39 PM, Dr. Who said:

I like Eastern rite Catholic. Orthodoxy retains elements of the Greek patristic heritage that are recessed in the Latin tradition.

Plus Easter candy can usually be obtained at a discount.

Ralph Wilson might have approved of this post. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

what is/was the update on her health and recovery ?

The prayer service isn’t until Apr. 29th. I don’t know if we will get another update then or not.

The letter by Jessica Pegula was the last real update that I am aware of.

Here’s a link in case you haven’t read it:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/jessica-pegula-tennis

17 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Noted. Enjoy yourselves with the amended definition of infallibility that they have crafted around themselves. Catholicism repudiated the Papal Bull of 1452 like last week.

Much appreciated. There’s a difference between knowing catholicism and knowing the history of catholicism. 

On 4/21/2023 at 8:51 PM, Chaos said:

If you have an answer as to how participation in group prayer is more useful or meaningful than praying independently, I’d appreciate your wisdom. I’m not trying to be a wise guy. I’d seriously like to understand the rationale. 

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

If you have an answer as to how participation in group prayer is more useful or meaningful than praying independently, I’d appreciate your wisdom. I’m not trying to be a wise guy. I’d seriously like to understand the rationale. 

It's how you sell religion is the way I have seen it under normal circumstances, but this isn't a normal circumstance... this is a legitimate "everyone come and pray" kind of event.

On 4/22/2023 at 8:21 AM, Mr. WEO said:

let the guy talk--see below.  Feel free to participate. 

My point is that there is not another infallible person in the Catholic church--he has no rivals.  "dictator" isn't by definition malevolent, it is just one who rules with absolute power and authority.  By definition, the Pope's infallibility in all things regarding the Church, it's theology and practice, grants him absolute power and authority over the Church.  

The Great Schism still lives because of it... very sad to be sure. It's all about power...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.