Jeffrey Simmons extended with Titans - 4 years, $94 Million

Draconator

1 minute ago, Beast said:

What do you do?

6 teams before us didn’t take Josh Allen.

That in and of itself is enough to stop with the 20/20 vision into the past, but if you look at WHO was taken before josh allen it becomes particularly lol worthy

I say that with total self deprecation because i was a wrong josh guy and thought borker mayfield was going to be great

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

Simmons, Quentin Williams, Christian Wilkins.  These players are true game wreckers at DT.

Ed Oliver is not. Period. 

No he is not..

But looking at this deal …they wouldn’t be able to afford to pay Oliver if he was at this level…

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

That in and of itself is enough to stop with the 20/20 vision into the past, but if you look at WHO was taken before josh allen it becomes particularly lol worthy

I say that with total self deprecation because i was a wrong josh guy and thought borker mayfield was going to be great

It wasn’t all hindsight… Not everyone believed Oliver was the better DT prospect.  

Simmons was always touted as a top prospect at DT in 2018.  The knock on him was character related because a video re-surfaced of him hitting a woman a few years earlier.  He likely would have been drafted higher.  

As far as Oliver - the reception was very much mixed how he would transition to the NFL.  Some were enthralled with the quickness of his first step and his athleticism whereas others were more concerned about his size.  I think the comparisons in his game to Aaron Donald helped raise his stock in the eyes of some.  Not to say he was going to be the next Donald, but that he had that kind of potential.  

Oliver’s career over his first four season is probably dead set in the middle of his ceiling/floor trajectory coming out of the draft.   He had flashed at times but overall isn’t nearly the difference maker the other 2018 first round rookie tackles have been 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It wasn’t all hindsight… Not everyone believed Oliver was the better DT prospect.  

Simmons was always touted as a top prospect at DT in 2018.  The knock on him was character related because a video re-surfaced of him hitting a woman a few years earlier.  He likely would have been drafted higher.  

As far as Oliver - the reception was very much mixed how he would transition to the NFL.  Some were enthralled with the quickness of his first step and his athleticism whereas others were more concerned about his size.  I think the comparisons in his game to Aaron Donald helped raise his stock in the eyes of some.  Not to say he was going to be the next Donald, but that he had that kind of potential.  

Oliver’s career over his first four season is probably dead set in the middle of his ceiling/floor trajectory coming out of the draft.   He had flashed at times but overall isn’t nearly the difference maker the other 2018 first round rookie tackles have been 

Simmons also had a major injury before the draft-many thought it was a reach he was taken as high as he was. If he hadn’t gotten injured he would’ve been taken a lot higher 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

31 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I knew Simmons was good but I never saw 23 million a year good from him. I admit only seeing him maybe a dozen games over years but this is just below Aaron Donald type good

“Just below Aaron Donald type good” was where many had projected Ed Oliver 😟

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Simmons also had a major injury before the draft-many thought it was a reach he was taken as high as he was. If he hadn’t gotten injured he would’ve been taken a lot higher 

Good point… all goes back to the fact that Simmons turning out to be a better pro than Oliver isn’t exactly complete hindsight 

55 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No he is not..

But looking at this deal …they wouldn’t be able to afford to pay Oliver if he was at this level…

If we had Jeffrey Simmons, you find a way.  

KC broke the mold by trading away an elite WR in his prime, but they also have Kelce.  

Who knows how things play out if Ed lived up to the hype…

Do we spend so much draft capital at EDGE?   Do we sign Von?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.