The Buffalo Wing & It's Rise to the Ultimate Sports Food .

T master

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

They were bad when I was a kid in the 90s. Bar Bill is one of the top choices for sure though. 

Yeah, ever since they started mass producing their sauce and filled it with preservatives and sh!t. 

42 minutes ago, Kiva said:

John Young made fried chicken whole wing with a bbq, pineapple sauce.  No relation to our Franks and Butter wings.  Why the history channel gave him any credit is a head scratcher, I’ll assume it’s some form of woke equity

The real original Buffalo Chicken wing was invented and perfected at the anchor bar.  

Or maybe, just maybe, Young was the first to make wings a featured menu item, regardless of the recipe, and the show wanted to include the complete history of wings as a delicacy. Not everyone wants their history filtered.

And yes, I agree that what we now know as "Buffalo Style" wings originated at the Anchor Bar, but that doesn't make Young's story irrelevant.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, WhoTom said:

Or maybe, just maybe, Young was the first to make wings a featured menu item, regardless of the recipe, and the show wanted to include the complete history of wings as a delicacy. Not everyone wants their history filtered.

And yes, I agree that what we now know as "Buffalo Style" wings originated at the Anchor Bar, but that doesn't make Young's story irrelevant.

Fried chicken and fried chicken wings were around way before this John guy.

Embarrassing for History channel to sneak that crap in and tarnish our great wing history. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Dopey said:

Wings, brisket, oxtail, ribs all used to be considered throw away. Being poor, I grew up on that stuff. It's amazing how expensive they have become.

Brisket is in another stratosphere. Insane how much it’s been built up 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I was drunk everytime I went there- it was the best I ever had, at least in my "memory".

I'm an hour west of you and we only have 1 place that makes decent wings, Florida sucks for food.

12 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Wings, brisket, oxtail, ribs all used to be considered throw away. Being poor, I grew up on that stuff. It's amazing how expensive they have become.

Wait for chicken feet. Everytime I see a package of them it looks like little kids fingers... for $7.00

9 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm an hour west of you and we only have 1 place that makes decent wings, Florida sucks for food.

Florida is not good for Buffalo food, hot dogs, sausage, pizza, wings, or donuts. Seafood is superior as is the breadth of different foods, at least compared to Buffalo when I left. Within 3 miles I have good Indian, Cuban, Mexican, and now a NY beer project. 

• Like (+1) 1

I used to go into a small bar where I grew up south of Buffalo (in the 70s when you could get served at 16) and loved the 10 cent wings and 50 cent Cream ale drafts.

In the mid 80's when I lived near West Palm beach I was at a bar and the bar maid never heard of them. I taught her how to make em with the Blue cheese dressing and then every one there wanted them. (No Franks there then so Tabasco, butter and a touch of garlic powder).

She wasn't happy to be that busy that afternoon, but I'm sure she made some very good tips. Don't know if it caught on right then cause I was only there once, but I felt like I did a public service.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Florida is not good for Buffalo food, hot dogs, sausage, pizza, wings, or donuts. Seafood is superior as is the breadth of different foods, at least compared to Buffalo when I left. Within 3 miles I have good Indian, Cuban, Mexican, and now a NY beer project. 

how is the orlando beer project?  i'm right by the rochester one, and it's almost impossible to get a seat in there.  

Edited by teef

1 hour ago, T&C said:

53 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Casa di Pizza in Bradenton is from WNY and always had solid food when I visited. 

The is a lot of good food in Florida, as is often the case in resort areas. People spend vacation dollars like Monopoly money. Little Sarasota has better restaurants than giant Atlanta, IMO. 

41 minutes ago, teef said:

how is the orlando beer project?  i'm right by the rochester one, and it's almost impossible to get a seat in there.  

It is very large and usually you can get a seat. I watched Cinci playoff game there and got there an hour early and plenty of seats. I have never been to the Rochester one but I grew up 10 minutes from Eastview Mall so I know it's general location.

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

Casa di Pizza in Bradenton is from WNY and always had solid food when I visited. 

The is a lot of good food in Florida, as is often the case in resort areas. People spend vacation dollars like Monopoly money. Little Sarasota has better restaurants than giant Atlanta, IMO. 

There are a few good pizza places in Orlando just not like in Buffalo, where there is a good one every couple miles. Orlando has a ton of good restaurants but I live on western edge of Orange County and getting to them can be a pain and I am lazy 

4 hours ago, T&C said:

Wait for chicken feet. Everytime I see a package of them it looks like little kids fingers... for $7.00

First time I saw chicken feet for sale was at an IGA in good ole Woodville Fl.  1995. Freaked me out. 

12 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Thanks for the story!  I'm just curious how they are intended to be re-heated, if they are frozen while coated with sauce. 

We suggested that the tavern or restaurant let them thaw first, then pop them into a toaster oven.  They could be microwaved, but they weren't very good that way.  

Thanks for reading.  It was a huge deal in my life. 

Edited by TC in St. Louis
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, T master said:

Wings now seem to be on every menu in about every restaurant you can go in butt here is 1 thing that every body thinks about wings like it is in general with most everything .

Bigger is better . Which if i wanted a chicken drum stick i would go to Kentucky fried chicken !! I can't stand the really huge what some consider chicken wings they are not what i conceder Buffalo wings & Buffalo Wild Wings are starting to get just about as bad the wings are just way to big .

But when i come home to WNY i aways go to get some because those in the area know how they were meant to be . I have traveled all over the US & there food in and around Buffalo is some of the best any where !! 

First time I’ve ever heard someone complain about wings being too big. 

10 hours ago, Kiva said:

John Young made fried chicken whole wing with a bbq, pineapple sauce.  No relation to our Franks and Butter wings.  Why the history channel gave him any credit is a head scratcher, I’ll assume it’s some form of woke equity. 

The real original Buffalo Chicken wing was invented and perfected at the anchor bar.  

I’m agreeing with Kiva here. I grew up in Tonawanda,left in 1968. Never heard of Buffalo wings at the time. 

Moved back in 1983. Wings and pizza were popular with my happy hour crowd. I heard the anchor bar story then. 

I’ve heard the frank and Theresa anchor bar story a billion times since. 

I’ve never heard about  this Young guy until this thread. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but I’d like to see a bit more evidence than a history channel special before I believe it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.