Name one FA OL you want to be a Bill by the end of the first FA week

No_Matter_What

2 hours ago, mrags said:

If we’re going to spend $10m+ on a guard I’d rather just draft one in the first or 2nd round and spend that money on a quality Free agent WR, MLB, S

JMO but I think the Bills need both, not either/or.  Sign the best guy we can get AND draft one.  Morse is no spring chicken and could be lost to a concussion at any time.  

What the Bills did with Eric Wood where we started him a couple years at guard than moved him to C would work for me

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would be shocked if Orlando Brown isn’t a Bear in the next 48 hours. 

Thought KC planned to re-sign him.  They gave up a lot in that trade to treat him like a rental

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Thought KC planned to re-sign him.  They gave up a lot in that trade to treat him like a rental

They didn’t franchise him, they are going to lose him imo. A team like the Bears will overpay because they are desperate and they can. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

JMO but I think the Bills need both, not either/or.  Sign the best guy we can get AND draft one.  Morse is no spring chicken and could be lost to a concussion at any time.  

What the Bills did with Eric Wood where we started him a couple years at guard than moved him to C would work for me

I agree we need both as well. I am all for drafting 2-3 OL in the first 4 rounds honestly. It’s a huge liability on this team. I just don’t want to waste that kind of money on a FA when you could easily utilize instant starters at skill positions and then spend your draft picks on OL. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, mrags said:

If we’re going to spend $10m+ on a guard I’d rather just draft one in the first or 2nd round and spend that money on a quality Free agent WR, MLB, S

A 10M guard and a rookie WR is cheaper than a 20M FA WR and a rookie guard.  I guess the trick is it is easier to hit a guard in FA or the draft than a WR.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I remember the FO was interested in Risner pre draft the year he came out, wouldnt be surprised if we circle back to him now that he is a FA

What's more telling is that they had an interest in him pre-draft, needed OL, and when they had their chance they passed on Risner to draft Cody Ford. 

Both the Bills and Rams (Kromer) were interested in Risner so that may be something. Both were into Nate Davis as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

A 10M guard and a rookie WR is cheaper than a 20M FA WR and a rookie guard.  I guess the trick is it is easier to hit a guard in FA or the draft than a WR.

Your going to get one of the best guards in the draft If you go in rd 1 or 2. 

but I also didn’t say it would be cheaper. Id just rather spend the resources in a proven WR in FA than try and get one in the draft where we have no idea if they will work out. I think an early OL is less risky in the draft than an early WR. Especially this year where I don’t think there are many good first round talent WRs. Almost all of them are way to small for my liking. WRs that weigh less than 200lbs and under 6’ are practically worthless to me. Unless you’re looking for a slot guy. And yes, I know Diggs is only 6’ and 190lb. He’s an exception not the rule. He was also traded for because we knew he was good prior to coming here. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

Your going to get one of the best guards in the draft If you go in rd 1 or 2. 

but I also didn’t say it would be cheaper. Id just rather spend the more resources in a proven WR in FA than try and get one in the draft where we have no idea if they will work out. I think an early OL is less risky in the draft than an early WR. Especially this year where I don’t think there are many good first round talent WRs. Almost all of them are way to small for my liking. WRs that weigh less than 200lbs and under 6’ are practically worthless to me. Unless you’re looking for a slot guy. And yes, I know Diggs is only 6’ and 190lb. He’s an exception not the rule. He was also traded for because we knew he was good prior to coming here. 

Got it, when you said X amount of dollars and then you would rather spend that on a WR, I assumed that was one for one.  I took it to be "the same" rather than more or less.  Like you said there are a lot of factors to consider including cost in FA, what does the FA class look like for both groups, what does the draft class look like for both groups, other needs, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mrags said:

I agree we need both as well. I am all for drafting 2-3 OL in the first 4 rounds honestly. It’s a huge liability on this team. I just don’t want to waste that kind of money on a FA when you could easily utilize instant starters at skill positions and then spend your draft picks on OL. 

I can see your point

Two counter points -

1) I think the top skill position players will be hard for the Bills to afford and frankly, I'm a bit under-enthused at the FA WR crop.  Meyers?  Tik-Tok Boy? Lazard? Slayton (I think the Giants will re-sign him)?  Chark?  Parris Campbell really interests me, I'll grant.   

Who you want?

2) Are the Bills good at evaluating OL talent in the draft?  Cody Ford near the top of the 2nd round and Spencer Brown near the bottom of the 3rd have me.....concerned.  Boogie Basham 2 picks before Creed Humphrey is another big head-shaker.  I think we need a combination of FA, where you can usually see how a guy can play, and draft. 

Maybe Kromer will make a difference, I don't know.

There's also the point that's been made that while pricey, a FA guard may be a better bargain than a FA WR or TE, even FA RB.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Everywhere he has been they found pretty good linemen in the draft. They also found undervalued guys like Austin Corbett and turned them into something. Saffold was a big miss, and so was Tenuta, but some of the other bodies they brought in like Ryan Van Denmark and Tanner Owen are the kind of athletic upside linemen they should be looking for. 

In his time with the Rams, they added David Edwards, Joe Noteboom, Comenan Shelton, Brian Allen, and Kromer convinced them to trade for Austin Corbett. None of those guys were first-round picks. 

With the Saints Jahri Evans, Jermaine Bushrod, etc. 

I think in his second year here we start to see more impact. At least I hope so. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I can see your point

Two counter points -

1) I think the top skill position players will be hard for the Bills to afford and frankly, I'm a bit under-enthused at the FA WR crop.  Meyers?  Tik-Tok Boy? Lazard? Slayton (I think the Giants will re-sign him)?  Chark?  Parris Campbell really interests me, I'll grant.   

Who you want?

2) Are the Bills good at evaluating OL talent in the draft?  Cody Ford near the top of the 2nd round and Spencer Brown near the bottom of the 3rd have me.....concerned.  Boogie Basham 2 picks before Creed Humphrey is another big head-shaker.  I think we need a combination of FA, where you can usually see how a guy can play, and draft. 

There's also the point that's been made that while pricey, a FA guard may be a better bargain than a FA WR or TE, even FA RB.

I understand all that. But $10m+ for a starting guard is just too much for a team that apparently has cap issues. It’s not a position that you generally spend that kind of money on. If we get a top guard in FA I guess but he better be an amazing guard. I’d rather put that $10m towards someone like Chark, or Campbell, or hell, everyone here still talking about OBJ, or now Henry in a trade. What about Williams. Skill position players are guys you spend big money on imo. Guards are just guards. Get one young in the draft. If you go with a first rd talent at G he’s probably going to turn out to be pretty good. 

yes they screwed up with Ford. But let’s be real, he had the traits to be a good player. They screwed up on his mentality and desire to eat cheeseburgers every day. He was a fat tub of goo by the time we traded him. He also wasn’t a top tier OG in the draft. He was a OT and not a top guy. He was a stretch. 

but yes, the FO has issues drafting in general. I don’t have faith they will get it right. But if a guy like Torrance in the first, or Avila in the 2nd is there, I’d run to the podium. Hell, if a guy like Broderick Jones fell in the first I’d take him, or Dewand Jones in the 2nd I’d take him. Then move Dawkins to Guard. 

just saying I’d rather take my chances drafting a OL early and picking up confirmed skill positions in FA. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, mrags said:

I'd rather sign an established veteran guard and draft another olineman or two. If you can manage a vet wr as well in free agency, all the better. But I think we need at least one olineman that does not need to develop, someone who can start day one and palpably improve the line.

16 hours ago, mrags said:

I hear you but...  we don't have enough draft picks to fill all our needs.  And just because we draft a guard, it doesn't mean they'll be any good.  There's more certainty in free agent acquisitions who have already proven themselves at the NFL level.  

18 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hear you but...  we don't have enough draft picks to fill all our needs.  And just because we draft a guard, it doesn't mean they'll be any good.  There's more certainty in free agent acquisitions who have already proven themselves at the NFL level.  

Exactly. Which is why I’d rather sign a skill position like WR, S, or RB to a contract in FA and take my chances of drafting one. 

of course just because it’s a guard doesn’t mean they will be good. But the odds are greater you find a reasonable starter in year 1 out of a first rd talent at guard than you do with the 5-6th best WR available to you at the 27th pick. The only WR that I’d take there if available (which he won’t be) is Quintin Johnson. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.