Here come the restructures

78thealltimegreat

12 hours ago, boater said:

Restructures are nice to give you that instant jolt of cash. But they are one trick ponies. You must be prudent when moving forward, despite all the protestations from fans that the cap isn't real.

The cap is real.

It’s really not “that” real. As long as the owner wants to keep stroking checks, you can continue to kick the fan down the road. Eventually you have to add extensions to the restructures (like the Saints are doing with Michael Thomas). You can pretty much have as much space as you need for as long as you want. It’s just expensive to do it.

12 hours ago, Success said:

Sounds good to me.  I think they'll restructure another few players to try to up the cap space to around $25-30M.

That will give them quite a bit of flexibility to make some needed moves.

That looks about right. Beane will have to rely on numerous "veterans minimum" deals and has to ace the draft. Wouldnt be surprised to see him trade down once or twice to to add picks. 

Restructures are nice to give you that instant jolt of cash. But they are one trick ponies. You must be prudent when moving forward, despite all the protestations from fans that the cap isn't real.

The cap is real.

They will obviously restructure players that have proven ability,and production and will be part of the Bills plan moving forward. But I don't want to accumulate a crippling pile of dead cap dollars.

The cap is real.

Bills certainly are "banking" on significant salary cap increases 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s really not “that” real. As long as the owner wants to keep stroking checks, you can continue to kick the fan down the road. Eventually you have to add extensions to the restructures (like the Saints are doing with Michael Thomas). You can pretty much have as much space as you need for as long as you want. It’s just expensive to do it.

Man, I'm getting sick of getting kicked down the road.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Looks like the Bills will be players in free agency after all 

Of course they'll be players. They are every year. Expect them to pick up some mid- and low-level guys to fill holes so that their needs are no longer desperate for the draft.

I wouldn't expect them to be headline players, though.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Aw, come on.

Yes, it's flexible. And for owners who don't mind mortgaging the future, very flexible.

But no, you really can't have as much space as you want this year, much less in the future. Real quick, can you point out the way to get us, say $100M on the cap this year? Can't be done. If you turn over every rock and twig, you could get to around $80M, but it would leave us with very little flexibility next year. 

The credit card analogy is right on target. Yeah, I could use my cards and apply for a bunch more and stretch them all to the limit and get myself a Lambo. But doing that would mean I'd better get used to major lifestyle cuts elsewhere, and at some point it might become necessary to sell that Lambo used to handle some more urgent needs.

The reason Jalen Ramsey (and possibly Bobby Wags as well) is available is the Rams are having to throw the life jackets and the seats out the doors to try to save fuel. They cut Floyd at the cost of $19M in dead cap, even though it only saves them $3M on the cap. Why? Because they were well above the cap in 2024 as well as 2023. Taking all the dead money this year means Floyd won't cost them money in 2024, but Floyd was really good for them.

16 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Draft is about 2 or 3 million 

Thank you! It drives me nuts when year after year people say we need 5-6 million for draft picks. 

Here is the breakdown for the draft:

Round 1- 2.2 million

Round 2- 1.1 million

Round 3- 955k

Round 4- 894k

Round 5- 844k

Round 6- 749k

Total- 6.7 million but each player knocks another player out of the top 53 so you need to reduce the total y a minimum of 750k for each player they replace so the actual total for signing draft picks would be 2.2 million

21 minutes ago, Magox said:

The Bills will still get at least one clear cut upgrade FA starter.

Yup, very solid chance of that, as there's room for improvement right now at guard, safety if Poyer is gone, MLB if Tremaine is gone and maybe slot. Could be done without spending a ton. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, khlax3 said:

Thank you! It drives me nuts when year after year people say we need 5-6 million for draft picks. 

Round 1- 2.2 million

Round 2- 1.1 million

Round 3- 955k

Round 4- 894k

Round 5- 844k

Round 6- 749k

Total- 6.7 million but each player knocks another player out of the top 53 so you need to reduce the total y a minimum of 750k for each player they replace so the actual total for signing draft picks would be 2.2 million

Thanks. That’s a simple, great breakdown. While I realize the players association stepped in long ago to reduce rookie salaries, it’s still hard for me to get my mind around the fact that Robert Woods just signed a contract as a maybe at best a Number 2 or 3 WR that will pay him more than a team’s entire draft allocation. Geeez! Seems to me that the pendulum has swung way too far. 

15 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

That "question" is not a question.

We have to make more restructures. We won't field 53 players with just Allen and Miller even if we remain very passive in FA.

If Beane doesn't restructure many contracts,we will see a lot of rookies and veteran minimum deals. Here's an opportunity for him to show what he can do.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Round 1- 2.2 million

Round 2- 1.1 million

Round 3- 955k

Round 4- 894k

Round 5- 844k

Round 6- 749k

Here's a chart that may help. Breaks it down by pick and cap space needed.

https://overthecap.com/draft

10 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Von Miller has a guaranteed roster bonus of $13.345M due this month. It’s a simple measure to convert that to a signing bonus and spread it out over the next 5 seasons. That clears $10.676M this season. 

I can get that far.

Where I get lost is the $7M out after the 2024 season and the Bills no longer having Von on the roster or the books at all after that. 

Does restructuring ensure Von is on the books for 5 more years? Or does it just up the buy out cost?

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There are limits though.  It is real.   The saints have ridiculous amounts of void money in future years.  Why is tyreek hill in Miami?  Why is adams in Las Vegas?  Answer:  the cap is real.   Sure it’s soft and can be manipulated but there are real limits.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.