Going vegan?

dancing_joker

I’ve recently decided to adopt a vegan lifestyle…not only for the welfare of animals, but for my own health benefits as well as the environmental impacts. Has anyone out there converted? If so, what were the challenges you faced?

Please do not comment if you’re here to campaign against this choice. I have no desire to debate you on this, nor am I here to preach to you how to live your life. 

I would imagine a full vegan diet is actually worse for your health, but I'm not really into this sort of thing.

Protein is important and you'll need to figure out how to get it into your diet.

And keep an eye on your skin.  I know vegans who have a sickly, pale, translucent quality to their facial skin that makes them look like ghouls or zombies!

Get some sun FFS.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I would imagine a full vegan diet is actually worse for your health, but I'm not really into this sort of thing.

Protein is important and you'll need to figure out how to get it into your diet.

And keep an eye on your skin.  I know vegans who have a sickly, pale, translucent quality to their facial skin that makes them look like ghouls or zombies!

Get some sun FFS.

You're really good at following instructions.

• Haha (+1) 6

I went vegan for 3 full years a ways back (about 15 years ago).  It was honestly the best I've ever felt in my life. I had a crazy amount of energy, and my head felt more clear.

Eventually, I really missed cheeseburgers and chicken wings, so gave it up. But I'm glad I did it. It felt like a mid-life tune up for my system.

It's easier to be a vegan today than ever. They have great cheese & meat substitutes (some of which I still use, just to cut down on meat when I can).  And there are some amazing cookbooks out there. If you like to cook or there is a good cook in the family, you can design a weekly menu where you won't even notice the difference.

As far as challenges, some restaurants can be limited in terms of options.  And you do have to make sure you get enough protein & things like B vitamins and iron, but there are plenty of recommendations for substitutes and supplements on that front.  

Best of luck!

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Get some sun FFS.

I'm not a nutritional expert but legumes and nuts can provide a decent amount.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

You're really good at following instructions.

Haha it’s okay. Ghost makes a really good vegan protein powder you can grab at gnc or wherever you want. Obviously that won’t be my only source of protein, but it helps if you’re into counting your macros. 

2 hours ago, Success said:

I went vegan for 3 full years a ways back (about 15 years ago).  It was honestly the best I've ever felt in my life. I had a crazy amount of energy, and my head felt more clear.

Eventually, I really missed cheeseburgers and chicken wings, so gave it up. But I'm glad I did it. It felt like a mid-life tune up for my system.

It's easier to be a vegan today than ever. They have great cheese & meat substitutes (some of which I still use, just to cut down on meat when I can).  And there are some amazing cookbooks out there. If you like to cook or there is a good cook in the family, you can design a weekly menu where you won't even notice the difference.

As far as challenges, some restaurants can be limited in terms of options.  And you do have to make sure you get enough protein & things like B vitamins and iron, but there are plenty of recommendations for substitutes and supplements on that front.  

Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply!! I do agree with you that making the switch today vs even 5 years ago is way easier. Back in 2017, I failed miserably…thinking I could just flip a light switch and “figure it out” haha. 

Restaurants will be challenging for sure…but I’m thinking about family and friends. Judgment by them. Let’s face it…when you decide to do something in our society that is against the norm, you get ridiculed. If it succeeds, you’re praised in the end…but the road there is not cupcakes and rainbows. 

A vegan diet CAN be healthy if done correctly.  My wife was a vegan for over a year, but has gone back to eating meat and fish occasionally as she found herself to feel “fatigued” and not herself at times.

You need to be careful to consume foods that give you protein, calcium, iron, and other essential vitamins such a B12.

1 hour ago, dancing_joker said:

Haha it’s okay. Ghost makes a really good vegan protein powder you can grab at gnc or wherever you want. Obviously that won’t be my only source of protein, but it helps if you’re into counting your macros. 

Thanks for the reply!! I do agree with you that making the switch today vs even 5 years ago is way easier. Back in 2017, I failed miserably…thinking I could just flip a light switch and “figure it out” haha. 

Restaurants will be challenging for sure…but I’m thinking about family and friends. Judgment by them. Let’s face it…when you decide to do something in our society that is against the norm, you get ridiculed. If it succeeds, you’re praised in the end…but the road there is not cupcakes and rainbows. 

Vegetarian is fairly doable, full vegan is a real challenge! 

Our DIL is vegetarian and we manage to have them over for meals with little effort. It’s often a boatload of chopping, or a trip to Whole Foods to see what they have out. My BIL and his wife tried vegan for a while as she’s battling stage 4 cancer. Desperate times can lead to desperate measures. After a year or so I know he’s back to eating meat again. 

It’s every individuals choice, but it can make things tough on friends and family who have to accommodate. It’s just one small thing to consider, not to change your plans but it’s just a little different if you have a group who wants to go out for a bite to eat. 

Good luck with it! 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s every individuals choice, but it can make things tough on friends and family who have to accommodate. It’s just one small thing to consider, not to change your plans but it’s just a little different if you have a group who wants to go out for a bite to eat. 

Good luck with it! 

In other words, don’t go out to eat at restaurants at which you aren’t completely certain there are vegan options.  Call in advance.  No one wants to sit there for 25 minutes while the waitress goes back and forth to the kitchen trying to figure out if your meal can be made vegan.  I’m trying to help 😉 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A vegan diet CAN be healthy if done correctly.  My wife was a vegan for over a year, but has gone back to eating meat and fish occasionally as she found herself to feel “fatigued” and not herself at times.

You need to be careful to consume foods that give you protein, calcium, iron, and other essential vitamins such a B12.

Totally agree. I already take multivitamins and fish oil for my own health reasons. So now it’s just a matter of switching to a vegan version of those.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dancing_joker said:

I’ve recently decided to adopt a vegan lifestyle…not only for the welfare of animals, but for my own health benefits as well as the environmental impacts. Has anyone out there converted? If so, what were the challenges you faced?

Please do not comment if you’re here to campaign against this choice. I have no desire to debate you on this, nor am I here to preach to you how to live your life. 

Have you ever read any of Dr. fuhrman’s stuff? It’s basically vegan, with a heavy emphasis on just eating super clean. We have done his thing for small stretches. One of our friends has eaten clean like that for about a year and has lost like 75 pounds.

Good luck! I wish I could stick to something like that. That said, as I get older, I just feel grosser when I eat a lot of meat. I went out with friends for BBQ last night and didn’t even really enjoy it. 

my niece is a Strict "ethical" vegan (checks for rennet in cheese which is  an enzyme from stomachs of some mammals) she wouldn't eat cheese that had it 

My DIL was vegan, then vegetarian, then pescatarian but now eats more animal based proteins as advised by her Dr during pregnancy. Their eating style is super healthy, flexible, mostly vegetarian. They are both fabulous cooks and shop locally grown fruits and vegetables in season.

I don't judge their choice and respect it. But I eat almost everything and that works for me In Moderation

whatever is best for you , your lifestyle and healthy. Best to you.

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

To each their own, I guess. Who am I to judge? 

Honestly, I’m interested in my own health benefits more so than anything else. The fact that I’m not supporting an industry that clearly abuses livestock for the purpose of consumption is an added bonus. Ask yourself…have you ever seen a 300 lb vegan? Or a 300 lb person who’s 85 years old? 

10 hours ago, dancing_joker said:

Plants have a life also. 
is it really fair to eat plants. 

have lots of friends that have been vegan for years.

Broccoli Stromboli for those friends. 
also no eggs used  for friends that are vegan 

Edited by mead107
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dancing_joker said:

Honestly, I’m interested in my own health benefits more so than anything else. The fact that I’m not supporting an industry that clearly abuses livestock for the purpose of consumption is an added bonus. Ask yourself…have you ever seen a 300 lb vegan? Or a 300 lb person who’s 85 years old? 

Yes. My nephew's boyfriend.  He's a 300 pound vegan! Seriously... It ain't as healthy as you think.

French fries are vegan (in vegetable oil)... 

To each their own... But what the heck is in that stuff? This is probably the only time in human history that we can fabric imitation things.  Just because it's vegan does it become natural. What about all the chemicals...

Our parents grew up with products that had to be labeled: "Made with real cheese" lol....What are we going back to, the fake stuff?

Leave a stick of real butter out on a warm day. Then leave imitation butter/margarine/plant based out. Watch where the flies go to.  😆 

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Plants have a life also. 

Plants feel pain. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Plants have a life also. 

Well I’m not gonna go straight up Ghandhi haha. We all make choices about how we want to live and to achieve inner harmony. Personally, I’ve never felt good about not watering a plant enough or too much or giving it too much/little sunlight and killing it. 

9 minutes ago, dancing_joker said:

Well I’m not gonna go straight up Ghandhi haha. We all make choices about how we want to live and to achieve inner harmony. Personally, I’ve never felt good about not watering a plant enough or too much or giving it too much/little sunlight and killing it. 

Gandhi was a vegetarian.  Big difference. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mahatma-gandhi-diet_l_5cb6021fe4b082aab08d3954

"Gandhi was born into a vegetarian household, but he always aspired to be vegan. He tried veganism as a young adult but, after suffering severe health issues, he was forced to change course."

Today we have so many more options than Gandhi had... But do you want all those chemicals in your body?

The thing with veganism is: "Consent"

Even know the hen will drop about an egg a day, you can't eat it, use it because it didn't consent for you to take it.

https://www.iamgoingvegan.com/vegan-ethics/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Gandhi was a vegetarian.  Big difference. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mahatma-gandhi-diet_l_5cb6021fe4b082aab08d3954

"Gandhi was born into a vegetarian household, but he always aspired to be vegan. He tried veganism as a young adult but, after suffering severe health issues, he was forced to change course."

Today we have so many more options than Gandhi had... But do you want all those chemicals in your body?

The thing with veganism is: "Consent"

Even know the hen will drop an egg a day, you can't eat it because it didn't consent for you to take it.

https://www.iamgoingvegan.com/vegan-ethics/

Actually a hen drops an egg a day because it’s been bred to. 

Again, the purpose of this thread was not to debate the merits of going vegan, rather to hear from people who have gone vegan…the challenges they faced and the benefits they’ve seen. Feel free to create a separate topic if you wish to discuss that. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Soda pop is vegan... That's my big weakness... 

I have a close friend who has a weakness for Pepsi. He cut back on that, as well as some other things, and he’s down 19 LBS as of yesterday.

Sugar, and artificial sweeteners, are as bad as almost anything out there if you can’t keep it in moderation. A steak would stand out. I HAD RED MEAT! A rare event for us. Get over it. Sugar is everywhere, and it’s a serious problem. I think obesity has to start with an eye on sugar, not chicken breasts. 

6 minutes ago, dancing_joker said:

Again, the purpose of this thread was not to debate the merits of going vegan, rather to hear from people who have gone vegan…the challenges they faced and the benefits they’ve seen. Feel free to create a separate topic if you wish to discuss that. 

But you had to know it would come up. If you want to discuss a topic, I think it’s fair to look at it from every angle. I’m not bashing it, just pointing out some fair thoughts, IMO. 

If we are going to discuss it, we need should define it, at the very least. 

By all means, everyone should make their own decisions. Not judging anyone else’s actions or opinions. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dancing_joker said:

Agree. No worries. My son and daughter tried, more health issues with her... They are mainly vegetarian now.

I respect your choice, hope it works for you!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes. My nephew's boyfriend.  He's a 300 pound vegan! Seriously... It ain't as healthy as you think.

I heard an interview recently with Rick Rubin where he talks about how he was a strict vegan for a substantial amount of time, yet he was the heaviest he had ever been in his life.  

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have a close friend who has a weakness for Pepsi. He cut back on that, as well as some other things, and he’s down 19 LBS as of yesterday.

Sugar, and artificial sweeteners, are as bad as almost anything out there if you can’t keep it in moderation. A steak would stand out. I HAD RED MEAT! A rare event for us. Get over it. Sugar is everywhere, and it’s a serious problem. I think obesity has to start with an eye on sugar, not chicken breasts. 

But you had to know it would come up. If you want to discuss a topic, I think it’s fair to look at it from every angle. I’m not bashing it, just pointing out some fair thoughts, IMO. 

If we are going to discuss it, we need should define it, at the very least. 

By all means, everyone should make their own decisions. Not judging anyone else’s actions or opinions. 

It's processed foods too. And a lot of all our new vegan choices today are highly processed! Just be careful. The key is to really not eat at all! LoL...

https://www.popsci.com/vegetarian-vegan-not-always-healthy/

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

There’s a lot of merit in how bad sugar is and what it does to your body. Within the last 10 years, I’ve been as heavy as 220, changed up my diet and got as low as 166 (my high school weight). And changing my diet and reducing my sugar intake was a big reason why. 

It’s not the number on the scale I’m chasing, it’s how I feel mentally and improving my mood. There’s such a thing as a vegan “glow”…you can google it, I’m not making it up. I’ve seen it in person. For the record, I ate vegan cookie dough today and it was delicious. And it had sugar in it haha. A vegan diet doesn’t have to be debilitating. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dancing_joker said:

There’s a lot of merit in how bad sugar is and what it does to your body. Within the last 10 years, I’ve been as heavy as 220, changed up my diet and got as low as 166 (my high school weight). And changing my diet and reducing my sugar intake was a big reason why. 

It’s not the number on the scale I’m chasing, it’s how I feel mentally and improving my mood. There’s such a thing as a vegan “glow”…you can google it, I’m not making it up. I’ve seen it in person. For the record, I ate vegan cookie dough today and it was delicious. And it had sugar in it haha. A vegan diet doesn’t have to be debilitating. 

I am NOT against you, my friend. I wish you nothing but the best. I just think a lot of people think “the label” will make them all fine and dandy. Processed foods are evil, that would be my first target. One unnamed relative calls a couple others “twinkietarians”.  Meat and how to get your protein is just one issue. What is in all the other garbage they intentionally label to to look “healthy”? 

You must feel a lot better down from 220lbs. That takes a lot of toll on the rest of the body to carry that around. Go pick up a bag of cement and imagine all that pressure on your knees and the rest of your body. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, dancing_joker said:

Ummmm….have you tried weed?

• Haha (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Ummmm….have you tried weed?

I’m struggling to think of how weed would get me from 220 lbs to 166 lbs. Maybe the other way around?   😂 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

I am NOT against you, my friend. I wish you nothing but the best. I just think a lot of people think “the label” will make them all fine and dandy. Processed foods are evil, that would be my first target. One unnamed relative calls a couple others “twinkietarians”.  Meat and how to get your protein is just one issue. What is in all the other garbage they intentionally label to to look “healthy”? 

You must feel a lot better down from 220lbs. That takes a lot of toll on the rest of the body to carry that around. Go pick up a bag of cement and imagine all that pressure on your knees and the rest of your body. 

No worries!! I definitely was not happy at that weight. Being 30 years old at the time, it didn’t “hurt” but I didn’t feel good about myself.  

That said, if you really subscribe to the macro culture, it says I need to consume 180 grams of protein. Protein is important no doubt, but I didn’t need that much to lose weight. I think there’s a fair amount of bro-science in those calculators. Bro-science meaning…you see some guy at the gym who looks hard and you say “hey bro, how did you get your body to look like that?”

4 minutes ago, dancing_joker said:

No worries!! I definitely was not happy at that weight. Being 30 years old at the time, it didn’t “hurt” but I didn’t feel good about myself.  

That said, if you really subscribe to the macro culture, it says I need to consume 180 grams of protein. Protein is important no doubt, but I didn’t need that much to lose weight. I think there’s a fair amount of bro-science in those calculators. Bro-science meaning…you see some guy at the gym who looks hard and you say “hey bro, how did you get your body to look like that?”

Ummmm, huh? So what are you in this for? 

I have a childhood friend I still text with weekly. He was a soccer and tennis kid in high school, but is now into marathons. He runs. And runs. And….He looked like he belonged in Hospice the last time I saw him in person. He looked sick and emancipated. His wife begged me to get him to understand it, and she’s a therapist! 

Balanced and healthy appeals to me. 

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

Ummmm, huh? So what are you in this for? 

I have a childhood friend I still text with weekly. He was a soccer and tennis kid in high school, but is now into marathons. He runs. And runs. And….He looked like he belonged in Hospice the last time I saw him in person. He looked sick and emancipated. His wife begged me to get him to understand it, and she’s a therapist! 

Balanced and healthy appeals to me. 

I already answered why I’m doing this. Again, I’m not here to debate the merits of the vegan lifestyle. While running marathons is ridiculously hard and takes a huge mental effort to get through, ask your marathon runner friend what his toenails look like after running 26.2 miles. Running marathons is not a life I personally want to live. But if he’s happy with himself, then who am I to judge him? Whatever path he takes to happiness is his choice. 

I asked earlier about the negative perception from family and friends because it’s real. Look how many people here want to throw shade at my choice, and my life is completely irrelevant to yours. Now imagine if I was your cousin, friend or even your spouse? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.