My weird Craigslist experience

Miyagi-Do Karate

I rarely use Craigslist anymore, but decided to look for some used golf clubs for my 11-year old daughter. Found some for $20, but the posting didn’t really provide any details. 

1) I emailed the seller, asking what size the clubs are.

2) a few days later, he replied, “come and take a look. I live out in x” (which is about 30 minutes from me). I figured that was the end of that, and didn’t reply to this email. 

3) he replies a few days later with: “???????”

4) I replied and said: “sorry, but I don’t have time to drive out there. Can you just email me the size?”

5) 5 days go by and he emails Me the size. I was going to get back to him, but wasn’t in a huge hurry. Plus, I was doing a little research on the size of the clubs. 

6) anyway, less than 24 hours after he emails Me the size of the clubs, he sends me an email that says: “you’re welcome, a-hole.”

I mean, what did I do wrong here? Or is this guy just a psychopath?! 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I rarely use Craigslist anymore, but decided to look for some used golf clubs for my 11-year old daughter. Found some for $20, but the posting didn’t really provide any details. 

2) a few days later, he replied, “come and take a look. I live out in x” (which is about 30 minutes from me). I figured that was the end of that, and didn’t reply to this email. 

4) I replied and said: “sorry, but I don’t have time to drive out there. Can you just email me the size?”

5) 5 days go by and he emails Me the size. I was going to get back to him, but wasn’t in a huge hurry. Plus, I was doing a little research on the size of the clubs. 

6) anyway, less than 24 hours after he emails Me the size of the clubs, he sends me an email that says: “you’re welcome, a-hole.”

Yeah, he’s not the only idiot on the internet. 

We have a club and he shows up sometimes, but it’s always full. 

EDIT: for the record, I’m not driving that far to look at anything that inexpensive. I don’t blame you: HOW BIG!!!????

I don’t know what your other options are, but there must be a Play It Again Sports or something similar nearby. Unless she’s a prodigy, I say start cheap and see if a passion grows. I’ll pay for passion, but not for a brief curiosity. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yeah, he’s not the only idiot on the internet. 

We have a club and he shows up sometimes, but it’s always full. 

EDIT: for the record, I’m not driving that far to look at anything that inexpensive. I don’t blame you: HOW BIG!!!????

I don’t know what your other options are, but there must be a Play It Again Sports or something similar nearby. Unless she’s a prodigy, I say start cheap and see if a passion grows. I’ll pay for passion, but not for a brief curiosity. 

Agree. Who gets put out too taking 30 seconds to measure a golf club?

i will have to check out play it again. Daughter isn’t very athletic— so been trying a few low-cost things here and there to see if she might enjoy something.  

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agree. Who gets put out too taking 30 seconds to measure a golf club?

i will have to check out play it again. Daughter isn’t very athletic— so been trying a few low-cost things here and there to see if she might enjoy something.  

Enjoy those blessed years!  They are special and you will never forget them. 

The right driving range might give you all the answers you need. If they have junior clubs, go try it a few weekends here and there. You’ll know soon enough. 

If she’s not very athletic, golf may be perfect for her. Not at college or pro play making a living. Just having something she enjoys doing with friends and family is a huge win! Our son married into a family that golfs almost daily. I can’t hang with him anymore, but I’m not slow!!! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

Starting this year, anything over $600 (total) paid through PayPal or Venmo will be reported to the IRS as income.  Folks use Craigslist and Marketplace for untrackable cash sales.

Up till now it’s been $20,000 or 200 transactions.  Just dropped it to $600 this year.  Apparently they’re not collecting enough in taxes…

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

He might not have even been real, but some kind of scam.

• Like (+1) 1

The wife listed a dresser for sale the other day. Some guy messaged her and she gives address. She tells me he’ll be by in the morning. The goes oh I just noticed he only has six friends and no pictures on Facebook so be prepared. I’m like wtf.  He showed up and it was just some old guy buying it for his “loser son who’s finally moving out “ .  I got the feeling when the dad and I loaded that thing in the truck and the son sat in the back seat of the truck watching and then got out and moved the drawers into the bed lol. 

Miyagi-San, this story promised so much more than it actually delivered!  Sorry! 

Guy sounds like some sort of weirdo.  I'm surprised you thought about it enough to create the post.  Just let it go! 

I was hoping this story was going to involve a trio of call girls, a whip, and a bottle of gin.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/20/2023 at 7:18 AM, f0neguy said:

Starting this year, anything over $600 (total) paid through PayPal or Venmo will be reported to the IRS as income.  Folks use Craigslist and Marketplace for untrackable cash sales.

Up till now it’s been $20,000 or 200 transactions.  Just dropped it to $600 this year.  Apparently they’re not collecting enough in taxes…

No issues with millionaires and billionaires hiding money and not paying taxes but if the average person makes $600 they need to get theirs.

• Agree 1

On 2/20/2023 at 6:50 AM, WhoTom said:

I wouldn't necessarily go that far, but I'm guessing he's not very successful on dating sites either.

Which brings this up. Here's another unsuccessful guy on a dating app.  He's probably wondering what he did wrong? Let her go in and pick up the jug of Prestone anti-freeze?

https://abc7chicago.com/dolton-illinois-kidnapping-advance-auto-parts-police/12849454/]

What is wrong with people!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.