This place has become poisonous

Dr. K

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

That was the nice part about being mediocre; every win was a nice surprise and every loss wasn't.

The bar is going to be "Superbowl or bust" for some, and I can understand that with the recent success (some people don't know how to manage having a good team).  At the same time, people put too much of their lives into whether the bills win or lose every week.

To be fair the bar is Super Bowl or bust because that's what the team says it is

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

To be fair the bar is Super Bowl or bust because that's what the team says it is

Same as 32 other teams.  Unless you're filling in for someone on the team, they can hold themselves to that standard on their own.

Everyone else can either support their team in good times and bad or choose to piss on everything because you didn't get what they wanted like a child not getting the right birthday present.

Constructive criticism is warranted, but there are plenty that just want to say "I knew better than someone else that has been coaching for 15-20 years and I'm a investment banker. Why is it soooo hard"

That's the poison that has been happening.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Dislike 2

11 minutes ago, dancing_joker said:

LaFleur and Sirianni were not in the list I provided. Belichick is #3 in all-time wins and Reid is #5, and you’re focusing on winning percentages? And no, I didn’t have any apple stock in 1993. I was in middle school. I’m old enough to remember OJ the killer not the football player you couldn’t help but drool all over. 

Yes, I’m interested in winning percentages. How else do you compare a 5 year HC to a 25 year HC? You can’t count wins and be taken seriously. The only fair way is winning percentage.

McD got into the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor and a young Josh. What has Belichick done without Brady? Not too much, and the Browns gig didn’t work out either.  

STOP! Bills trainers and Docs, along with UC Medical staff getting recognized at the SB! Damar getting cheers as well. NICELY DONE! 

OK, back on topic…..Oh, and we had season tix and I lived around the corner from OJ, and I never once drooled a single time for him. What is that even supposed to mean? 

On 2/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, Dr. K said:

I've been a member of this community since the very beginning, in 2001. 

Through the depths of the drought, I've never seen so much whining and anger and lashing out as what goes on daily on this board right now. Not everybody is guilty of this—there are a good number of eminently sane people who post here frequently—but the percentage of people acting like three-year-olds having temper tantrums is as high or higher than it has ever been.

I went away for the last weeks since the loss to the Bengals thinking that of course people are going to act out their disappointment; it's natural, I thought, let them get it out of their system. But it's as bad this morning as ever. I've tried blocking the worst offenders but the list would be too long to comprehend at this point. If the Bills were to take one fifth of the hysterical suggestions that are made every hour on this board, they would be out of the playoffs for the next twenty years. 

I realize this is likely my problem, not yours. So I'm giving it a pass at least until the draft, and maybe until training camp.

I hope some of you will get out of the house now and then and breathe some fresh air. 

so I agree much of your post...

BUT

Complaining about people complaining is just as bad as people complaining itself. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Same as 32 other teams.  Unless you're filling in for someone on the team, they can hold themselves to that standard on their own.

Everyone else can either support their team in good times and bad or choose to piss on everything because you didn't get what they wanted like a child not getting the right birthday present.

Constructive criticism is warranted, but there are plenty that just want to say "I knew better than someone else that has been coaching for 15-20 years and I'm a investment banker. Why is it soooo hard"

That's the poison that has been happening.

Folks express themselves differently. I'd say the poison is equally from the people who think dictating what constitutes 'support through good and bad' is some show of moral or emotional superiority.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, dancing_joker said:

Andy Reid

Bill Belichick

John Harbaugh

Sean Payton

Kyle Shanahan 

Pete Carroll 

Sean McVay

Even Mike Tomlin could be on that list. He won a Super Bowl. 

The fact that that list is so short for the entire existence of the NFL should really tell you something it’s too bad that it doesn’t

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

so I agree much of your post...

BUT

Complaining about people complaining is just as bad as people complaining itself. 

Sorry, but I have to disagree to some extent. I think 95% of the complaining comes from the 5% who feel the “need to vent”. They do it repeatedly with redundant threads because everyone thinks their take is just a little bit different, and they like attention. They reword the titles to make it look different, but they all want their own personal complaint forum, when the same thought is already out there a dozen ways. They just don’t want their personal thought getting lost in an existing thread, it seems.  

NOW, do NOT get me wrong! There ARE things that need fixing. There are things that are fine to vent about. But we can beat that poor dead horse deader than a horse should ever be. 

Complaining about the complainers is but a grain of sand on the beach compared to the redundant complaints about the Bills FO, coaches and players. To me, it’s OK to flip the coin sometimes and point that out. I know many will disagree, and that’s fine. I’m not the Bills Booster Club president, I just like reason and balance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Folks express themselves differently. I'd say the poison is equally from the people who think dictating what constitutes 'support through good and bad' is some show of moral or emotional superiority.

Well you are going to get that from every fan base.  The problem is there are going to be the outliers that are on the very edge of both sides of it.  

My perspective:

Bad fan: "We didn't win the superbowl.  Everyone should be fired.  Allen sucks.  Gabe sucks. Diggs sucks. McDermott sucks. Beane sucks"

Good fan: "This team did a lot this year and overcame a bunch of injuries and emotional obstacles."

Neutral fan: "they were good for most of the time but they don't have what it takes right now.  Something needs to change."

You will see 80% neutral, 10% bad and 10% good.  That's the nature of it.  The problem is on a message board you are always going to see that 20% (especially the negative 10%) highlight the board just because people don't want to hear the bad.  And I think the people that "dictate by supporting good and bad" leave more of that 80% in their comments than the people posting "Fire this guy, I'm right, he sucks and you can't say anything otherwise"

Edited by The Wiz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree with the original post.

I personally am spending a lot more time on the Sabres board than here. Is it perfect there? No, but with the team having lower expectations, there is a lot less anger and angst than here.  I think the Bills, the fans, the forum suffer from the curse of high expectations the team now has.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree to some extent. I think 95% of the complaining comes from the 5% who feel the “need to vent”. They do it repeatedly with redundant threads because everyone thinks their take is just a little bit different, and they like attention. They reword the titles to make it look different, but they all want their own personal complaint forum, when the same thought is already out there a dozen ways. They just don’t want their personal thought getting lost in an existing thread, it seems.  

NOW, do NOT get me wrong! There ARE things that need fixing. There are things that are fine to vent about. But we can beat that poor dead horse deader than a horse should ever be. 

Complaining about the complainers is but a grain of sand on the beach compared to the redundant complaints about the Bills FO, coaches and players. To me, it’s OK to flip the coin sometimes and point that out. I know many will disagree, and that’s fine. I’m not the Bills Booster Club president, I just like reason and balance. 

I guess you didn’t read Shaw’s thread about meeting OJ at a hotel last year. Lost all respect for him after that. 

1 minute ago, dancing_joker said:

I guess you didn’t read Shaw’s thread about meeting OJ at a hotel last year. Lost all respect for him after that. 

No, I didn’t read it, so I could be way off here. But I’m guessing he was a fairly young and impressionable person who saw a top national celebrity. I was stupid once too. Josh needed people to get past some of his tweets when he was young. 

Aside from that, I’m more focused on the thread title. It speaks some truth, IMO. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

No, I didn’t read it, so I could be way off here. But I’m guessing he was a fairly young and impressionable person who saw a top national celebrity. I was stupid once too. Josh needed people to get past some of his tweets when he was young. 

Aside from that, I’m more focused on the thread title. It speaks some truth, IMO. 

I’ll let Shaw speak for himself on that haha. 

And to your other point, I agree with you. Time to enjoy the Super Bowl. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.