Commanders may not pick up Chase Young’s 5th year option

Big Blitz

Chase Young is good, but he has a Clowney-esque feel to his hype. He was a monster in college. Through 27 games in the NFL though he has a total of 75 tackles, 13 TFL's, 9 sacks, and 6 FF. That's not really elite production, though a FF every 4.5 games is being somewhat disruptive. He'd be better than any of our other options outside of Groot and Von. If there was a way to make the financials work, I wouldn't be opposed to packaging a 3rd and a 5th or something like that. Absolutely nothing more. 

Edited by H2o

12 hours ago, benderbender said:

At one point he was the best player on the roster. Washington fans I know personally really question his injury return timeline and his love of the game. But to be honest, we have the same contingent that doubts Tre White as well. 

I feel like Payne and Allen were always better than him.  

14 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Great question. He’s an absolute stud DE when healthy. Some team will roll the dice if the price is at all reasonable. 

9 sacks in 27 career games.

.33 sacks per game

Roughly 6 per 17 game season

”Absolute” and “Stud” may have applied to him in college but he’s not even close to those words since being drafted. Healthy or not.

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This would be super dumb of the Redskins to not pick up that 5th year. 

Would it though?  He has not resembled the player he once showed promise to be on his way to becoming since the injury.  There is also some grumblings about just how much he loves football or how committed to it he is.  Nobody knows him better than his organization, so if they don't feel like this is a guy to build around or just isn't proving within the organization he is worth that 5th year option, then it's not really a mistake.

A lot of people thought (myself included) that not picking of Watkins 5th year option here in Buffalo was a huge mistake.  Beane proved that our front office and coaching staff had a much better picture of whether or not Sammy was worth keeping than us posters on this board.  Another example that was discussed a lot here on this board was Josh Rosen when AZ traded him after 1 season.  A lot of people here, including a lot of popular posters like GunnerBill (not me, I hated Rosen even before the draft) thought Arizona were fools for giving up on Josh Rosen after one year...AZ showed they knew who he was better than posters here did.  

Thats the life of being a fan rather than an insider.  We have all disagreed with a teams decision thinking it was dumb...sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.  But often, when you are talking about a highly drafted and high profile player that a team is ready to move on from earlier than expected, there is usually good reasons that come to light after the fact.  

I will say this, most Washington fans I know are ready to move on from Young too and hope they trade him this offseason before he goes out next year and further kills his value with another disappointing season.  They figure he still gets a little benefit of the doubt now, like maybe he just took longer to get all the way back from the injury 2 years ago.  But if he doesn't perform well again next year, he will have very little value.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Would it though?  He has not resembled the player he once showed promise to be on his way to becoming since the injury.  There is also some grumblings about just how much he loves football or how committed to it he is.  Nobody knows him better than his organization, so if they don't feel like this is a guy to build around or just isn't proving within the organization he is worth that 5th year option, then it's not really a mistake.

A lot of people thought (myself included) that not picking of Watkins 5th year option here in Buffalo was a huge mistake.  Beane proved that our front office and coaching staff had a much better picture of whether or not Sammy was worth keeping than us posters on this board.  Another example that was discussed a lot here on this board was Josh Rosen when AZ traded him after 1 season.  A lot of people here, including a lot of popular posters like GunnerBill (not me, I hated Rosen even before the draft) thought Arizona were fools for giving up on Josh Rosen after one year...AZ showed they knew who he was better than posters here did.  

Thats the life of being a fan rather than an insider.  We have all disagreed with a teams decision thinking it was dumb...sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong.  But often, when you are talking about a highly drafted and high profile player that a team is ready to move on from earlier than expected, there is usually good reasons that come to light after the fact.  

I will say this, most Washington fans I know are ready to move on from Young too and hope they trade him this offseason before he goes out next year and further kills his value with another disappointing season.  They figure he still gets a little benefit of the doubt now, like maybe he just took longer to get all the way back from the injury 2 years ago.  But if he doesn't perform well again next year, he will have very little value.  

All good points. I just think in Young’s rookie season, we saw everything that justifies him being an elite pass rusher. I would give him a pass on the last two years due to injuries. And even if he busts, the risk isn’t that high— an extra year. If he returns to form though next year, the free agent price tag for an elite DE is super high. 

That said, I don’t follow WFT closely, and so can’t speak to his character or effort. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

All good points. I just think in Young’s rookie season, we saw everything that justifies him being an elite pass rusher. I would give him a pass on the last two years due to injuries. And even if he busts, the risk isn’t that high— an extra year. If he returns to form though next year, the free agent price tag for an elite DE is super high. 

That said, I don’t follow WFT closely, and so can’t speak to his character or effort. 

You NAILED it, He’s an elite talent at a premier position that’s had injury issues.  He looked to be on his way to a monster career out of the gate and injuries have slowed him since.  He’s going to get paid big in year 5 either on a prove it deal or as a massive long term deal.  You roll the dice on a big time player at a premium position.

I got all the hate from the homers earlier in the thread for saying the Bills did not use their 5 year options well.  The reason they didn’t is simple, neither Oliver nor Edmunds plays a premium position and neither has ever flashed greatness for more than a game at a time.  Those same haters all thought Gabe Davis was the next Megatron off of one game.   There’s a real world a Bills fan perception I guess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.