Khalil Shakir / answer for WR 2 / Makes Sports Illustrated

Figster

who has a bigger season?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. who has a bigger season?

2. 2. Does Khalil Shakir eventually become the Bills WR 2?

On 2/10/2023 at 9:01 AM, Figster said:

Looks and plays like a young Andre Reed. Almost as agile and athletic at the WR position as Josh Allen is at he QB position. Combined = the recipe for greatness.

Andre was the 86th pick. Shakir 148th.

Andre was 6' 2", with long arms.

But yeah, both had a smoothness to their movements. Still, Shakir has a long way to go before he should be compared to Andre.

Andre had 637 yards in his first year, under another coach who tended to bring young guys in slower than many liked, though the Bills were bad enough at that point, that Levy wasn't as slow as he became when the lineup was really good.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Andre was the 86th pick. Shakir 148th.

Andre was 6' 2", with long arms.

But yeah, both had a smoothness to their movements. Still, Shakir has a long way to go before he should be compared to Andre.

Andre had 637 yards in his first year, under another coach who tended to bring young guys in slower than many liked, though the Bills were bad enough at that point, that Levy wasn't as slow as he became when the lineup was really good.

Two totally different receivers.

And Reed arrived 2 and a half seasons before Levy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Two totally different receivers.

And Reed arrived 2 and a half seasons before Levy.

Different? Definitely.

Totally different? Well I guess I hope not (on the field). 

Andre was a bigger, more physical, more Alpha type (I don't like that term, but it really was/is such a defining characteristic of Reed's game on and off the field) than Shakir can ever be. I'd argue that Khalil Shakir is a better athletic prospect than many realize, but that Andre Reed is probably just a different dude. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 2/9/2023 at 8:10 PM, Figster said:

Andre Reed was drafted in the 4th round from a small School and yet played all 16 games as a rookie with over 600 yards.  Player development under HC McD is being questioned. I'm fine with showing loyalty to a player / senority to a point. Not when it means slowing the development of a more talented athlete. 

And that was almost 40 years ago. 

Didn’t say it was impossible, just said highly unlikely. 

On 2/10/2023 at 6:46 AM, freddyjj said:

Diggs did in Minn as a 5th rd pick...just saying.  

Didn’t say it was impossible, just said it was highly unlikely. Not all lower round picks develop into superstars.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Faster ?

Wikipedia page had Diggs listed at a 4.46 40 and Shakir is listed at 4.43.  I have since seen other times on other websites but that's what wiki listed.  The point I was getting at with my original comment was that Diggs is a late round pick that plays at an elite level.  Matter of fact the majority of the receiving leaders are not 1st round picks.  Three out of the top five pass catchers the last two years have not been 1st round picks.  Yardage wise 6 out of 10 (2021) and 5 out of 10 (2022) were not 1st round picks.  You don't need elite combine stats to be a great reciever just ask Kupp, the guy runs a 4.6 something.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I believe Shakir takes over when Diggs goes down with an ACL and becomes our WR 1. Davis stays WR 2.

WTF?!?!?

Anyway, we can only hope that Shakir becomes Andre Reed… literally a Hall of Famer.  Until then, no way I can be comfortable with that comparison.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

WTF?!?!?

Anyway, we can only hope that Shakir becomes Andre Reed… literally a Hall of Famer.  Until then, no way I can be comfortable with that comparison.  

Diggs is right around the age WR 1s start to fall apart. Gone are the days we can expect high level production from WR 1s in their 30s.

On 2/9/2023 at 5:10 PM, Figster said:

Andre Reed was drafted in the 4th round from a small School and yet played all 16 games as a rookie with over 600 yards.  Player development under HC McD is being questioned. I'm fine with showing loyalty to a player / senority to a point. Not when it means slowing the development of a more talented athlete. 

Yeah puts me in mind of when Jauron insisted in playing Anthony Thomas ahead of one Fred Jackson that all the fans were screaming for. You can call it loyalty I guess, the A  train was with Dick in Chicago, but I believe it to be more risk aversion consistent with a conservative outlook.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I hope so.

I'll say this... look at Diggs vs Shakir coming out of College and they're almost identical. Shakir has significantly shorter arms but seems a little more explosive if you're basing it off the Combine.

I think we were all pretty excited to get him in the 5th round. I wouldn't be surprised to see him surpass Davis, but we should still hedge our bets and get a WR.

• Like (+1) 1

Shakir has to prove himself. I know it's fun to compare but the comparasions to Reed is way over the top.

The little glimpse we saw from Shakir looks promising. However, I have to ask myself why didn't he see the field more? In fact, the team went out and got a washed up Beasley from the streets. Not exactly a glowing move of confidence for Shakir. 

Either the coaching staff is extremely incompetent or Shakir just isn't that good right now. Those really are the only two legit reasons why he didn't see the field. 

The talk of him being a number 2 WR next year is pretty scary. The Bills found out Gabe isn't that guy. The WR core really hurt Allen's ability to shine. This team better go out and find a legit #2 WR. They can't afford to hope and wish a player turns into a #2. We saw how that worked out last year. 

Edited by newcam2012

On 2/12/2023 at 2:11 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

I hope so.

I'll say this... look at Diggs vs Shakir coming out of College and they're almost identical. Shakir has significantly shorter arms but seems a little more explosive if you're basing it off the Combine.

I think we were all pretty excited to get him in the 5th round. I wouldn't be surprised to see him surpass Davis, but we should still hedge our bets and get a WR.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-2023-predictions-khalil-shakir-future-no-2-wr/ar-AA17wy3t?ocid=xboxntp&cvid=9f31bf41300a404396c44e277cd5382b

Shakir makes Sports Illustrated 

I think he's clearly the slot guy.  Taking over that Beasley role that Josh loved under Dabs and what Crowder was brought in for.  I see them bringing in Crowder as the bridge to get to Shakir.  I was never really high on Crowder though to begin with and McKenzie is definitely not the guy.

Problem is, Dorsey doesn't use the slot like Dabs did.  That Beasley role we were used to under Dabs was nearly non-existent this year.

9 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Problem is, Dorsey doesn't use the slot like Dabs did.  That Beasley role we were used to under Dabs was nearly non-existent this year.

What I want to know is, did we under-utilize the slot by design because McKenzie couldn't get open consistently vs zone coverage & dropped way too many when he did? Or is the slot WR  just a neglected part of Dorsey's offense?

9 minutes ago, 947 said:

What I want to know is, did we under-utilize the slot by design because McKenzie couldn't get open consistently vs zone coverage & dropped way too many when he did? Or is the slot WR  just a neglected part of Dorsey's offense?

Hard to say really.  I got the feeling Josh lost faith in McKenzie and that's why he asked to bring Beasley back by name (from what I understand).

But even after Beas came back, you didn't see much use of him.

Almost nothing from the slot and no attempts to incorporate the RBs into the passing game. 

So unless you want to say it was Josh just being off and not taking the short to mid stuff, which could be part of it, the other part has to be the play calling.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.