Jessie Pegula reveals more about Kim

extrahammer

I have no words that can express my admiration for the Pegula family.

I am sad that Kim cannot continue with what no doubt would have been beneficial to all thing in Buffalo sports, not to mention,

for the entire NFL.  I can only hope she continues to improve for her family's sake and be an inspiration to us all.

What Jessie decides to do is totally up to her and I can only take comfort in whatever is in store in the future concerning the

teams will be dealt with by some truly amazing people.  I can live with that.

Go Bills.

Go Kim.

IMG_0159.JPG

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I never knew that.

I think it's a statistic that's a bit misleading, since I believe it includes CPR conducted at rehabilitation facilities and skilled nursing facilities (both considered "out of hospital").

I believe it also includes CPR initiated after an unwitnessed arrest or when EMS arrives (usually >2 minutes post arrest)

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Which, to most people, would mean less (as far as heartbreak goes) than a parent or grandmother dying.

PS, she was at PSE every day. Not One Bills Drive. PSE is in downtown Buffalo.

The issue I was writing about isn't heartbreak, the issue is organizational impact.  Nice shift.

Edited by Beck Water

18 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Thats not surprising since outside of a hospital,  CPR success rate is really low--around 10% at best.      Its not like the movies.

The overall CPR success rate - in hospital or out - is around 10%.  Out of hospital may be lower - 9% most recent figure I saw.  Damned straight it's not like the movies.

I'm concerned, presented like that these facts might discourage people from learning CPR and performing CPR on a loved one. 

So a couple of contextual points:

-Those survival stats include CPR performed in skilled nursing facilities and rehab facilities (both considered out of hospital cardiac arrest), but skewed towards elders who are the least likely to survive

-They also include cases where CPR is initiated only when medical professionals (EMTs or paramedics) arrive.  Only 46% of cardiac arrests receive bystander CPR.  Part of that is because 70% of cardiac arrests occur at home - many with someone living alone, or with someone who is not trained in CPR

Data vary, but indicate that effective CPR initiated within 2 minutes can double or triple the chance of survival.  I'd take a 27% or 30% chance for my family or friends, over a 9% chance.

PSA: Learn CPR.  Don't expect it to be like the movies.  You may break ribs.  The person may throw up, and you have to roll them to the side and wipe out their mouth and keep going.  But I'll take 20% or 30% over 10%.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

Thoughts are with the Pegula family, this is the hardest thing to deal with… lost my mother to similar circumstances in Buffalo, 17 years ago.

I loved Kim when she was active, and thought it was so amazing for the Bills and the entire NFL to have a prominent young and energetic owner who happened to be female.

Hopefully she will recover more speaking ability over time.

Kim Pegula did podcasts for the Bills and while some of the podcasts were not my type of tea all of them were very well done especially Kim's part.  

I made it a point to watch each one just like I'd read some our regulars game reports.

I think she could have gone into broadcasting if she did not meet Terry.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Thanks, Doc.  Believe me ... you're not the first to express concern about how this was handled.  I remember that day, my aunt (who is a nurse) was downright pissed about it and immediately said that an ambulance should have been called.  I'm very much an "all's well that ends well," kind of guy ... but I also see how this could have gone in a different - and worse - direction.

I appreciate the kind words.

I say I had 3 Oh S**t moments. I either thought or said Oh S**t.

1. Hearing my bp was 24tal PAStroke" on the hospi7/75- thought  why hasn't my head exploded yet

2. When they said they were waiting for an ICU room. 

3. When I had the stroke- heard "Code Stroke" on the hospital PA system. Asked the attendant in the scanning rom what was that and he said ":it's for you!". I then puked and had fuzzy memories for 3 days.

When you have a stroke (not the aneurysm type), there is no pain.  Your body just stops working correctly. I was in the rehab and watching the Giants on theTV (lived in the SF area then). I knew what it was and other things looked normal, but on TV, the players looked to me like they were all standing in a line and  the camera was looking down the line.  Same kind of thong happened when I tried to watch a World Cup Game - was in 2014.

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

PSA: Learn CPR.  Don't expect it to be like the movies.  You may break ribs.  The person may throw up, and you have to roll them to the side and wipe out their mouth and keep going.  But I'll take 20% or 30% over 10%.

Even if you don't know CPR or aren't "certified", you can still do the patient a lot of good by doing "hands only" CPR.  Push hard and push fast on the middle of the chest.  CPR usually doesn't restore a heart beat by itself.  You are just buying the person time until the AED or more definitve care arrives by pushing blood throughout the body, delivering oxygen and nutrients to the body's cells.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RangerDave said:

Even if you don't know CPR or aren't "certified", you can still do the patient a lot of good by doing "hands only" CPR.  Push hard and push fast on the middle of the chest.  CPR usually doesn't restore a heart beat by itself.  You are just buying the person time until the AED or more definitve care arrives by pushing blood throughout the body, delivering oxygen and nutrients to the body's cells.

Agree completely "just buying time", but these days - you can watch an online video to learn CPR.  Give a few minutes to learn hand position, rhythm and so forth to improve the quality of CPR given

https://www.heart.org/en/damar-hamlins-3-for-heart-cpr-challenge

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Kim Pegula did podcasts for the Bills and while some of the podcasts were not my type of tea all of them were very well done especially Kim's part.  

I made it a point to watch each one just like I'd read some our regulars game reports.

I think she could have gone into broadcasting if she did not meet Terry.

I'm not afraid to say, I've always been pretty smitten with Mrs. P.  Really sorry to hear what she is going through. 

During the playoffs a few seasons back, I was listening to a Bills podcast on youtube. After it was over, it played the Pod Squad podcast. I thought it was great. Made me love her even more! She has been the target of some ire amongst Sabres fans over the years. It always bugged me.

My own sister, ironically enough, suffered a heart attack the same day of as the Damar Hamlin incident. She just got released from rehab on Monday. She too has suffered some memory loss, and is having some difficulty with verbalizing her thoughts, no issues with written communication.  She has improved, docs think she has a strong chance of full recovery. This one really hits home. Hoping for a miracle for Kim

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buftex said:

I'm not afraid to say, I've always been pretty smitten with Mrs. P.  Really sorry to hear what she is going through. 

During the playoffs a few seasons back, I was listening to a Bills podcast on youtube. After it was over, it played the Pod Squad podcast. I thought it was great. Made me love her even more! She has been the target of some ire amongst Sabres fans over the years. It always bugged me.

My own sister, ironically enough, suffered a heart attack the same day of as the Damar Hamlin incident. She just got released from rehab on Monday. She too has suffered some memory loss, and is having some difficulty with verbalizing her thoughts, no issues with written communication.  She has improved, docs think she has a strong chance of full recovery. This one really hits home. Hoping for a miracle for Kim

What wonderful news for your sister!!!

Pro tip: one thing ordinary folks face, is limits on rehab.  Medical insurance doesn't want to pay, so they try to define patients as "not making continued progress" and cut them off.  Tell your sister to journal after each therapy session and after each home therapy, and ask her therapists to document carefully, so she can show she IS making progress even if it's small stuff and slow.  Be sure she has written take-home instructions and asks about online tools, so she can keep going if she's cut off and has to fight.

And learn how to appeal and fight denial of medical claims.  30% of claims are denied (or ignored!) on initial submission.  Up to 65% (20% of claims) are not resubmitted or contested.  One review I can't find now estimated that 85% of denied claims should have been paid - the insured was entitled to the medically-necessary coverage.  This may be tough if she can't communicate verbally, but everything needs to be submitted in writing or it didn't happen.  Or, one can hire a service to do this - the trick is finding a good one.

Source had TBI myself after accident, got therapy to the point where we all agreed I was as good as I was gonna get, had to fight for it though. 

Best wishes to your sister for a complete recovery!

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

@Beck Water: Thank you for the post above. As most of America ages, and suffer adverse medical events, this info is sure to be helpful.

Useful even if you're not aging - unfortunately children and young people suffer adverse medical events too (little girl in car struck by Britt Reid one example)

It's beyond the scope here so I'll STFU after this, but it really rots my socks that we've evolved this horrible medical insurance system where physicians and hospitals have to maintain these huge departments of people to handle, file, and re-file medical claims.  There's a cost to re-file and pursue a claim, so hospitals and physicians balance when to re-file and when to write off - and insurance companies exploit this.  Then the consumer, who is paying for a service they are entitled to receive, is often stuck with the bill and has to figure out how to fight it. 

I had my wake-up call when I read an article about Christopher Reeve, where he discussed how many of his health insurance claims were denied and how much time he and his family had to spend challenging the denials.  I was like "*****, if they'll screw over a public figure like Superman, they'll literally screw over anyone."

Over and Out

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 3 months later...

Felt most relevant here. This didnt seem like much of an issue just a year ago, but has Terry ever spoke about Succession plan before? Kim obviously is much younger than him, Im sure that was the plan.  God forbid the worst thing happens with Kim, but regardless, sounds like she wouldnt have the ability to carry on the team.

Terry is 72. Seems fairly healthy from what we know, but no spring chicken. Hopefully its a non issue for a long time. But has he ever said anything about one of the daughters eventually inheriting?

Can see a lot of pain in his eyes from todays presser. Respectfully, I hope some type of plan has been drafted up.

image.png.0addd8a7c3b9e529cde8a3a50833a2f2.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Did not watch press conference until you posted this.  I agree with you on Terry.  Terry was the hockey fan and Kim the football fan so transition plan worries me,

I find these type of press conferences really irritating.  It is like going to a movie and all of the credits are in front part of the movie after suffering ads for 10 to 20 minutes.  There is a reason why people leave when credits start playing and why some studios felt need to add extra scenes mid and post credits - it is boring! Political ones are worse and this was more political than football too.

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Felt most relevant here. This didnt seem like much of an issue just a year ago, but has Terry ever spoke about Succession plan before? Kim obviously is much younger than him, Im sure that was the plan.  God forbid the worst thing happens with Kim, but regardless, sounds like she wouldnt have the ability to carry on the team.

Terry is 72. Seems fairly healthy from what we know, but no spring chicken. Hopefully its a non issue for a long time. But has he ever said anything about one of the daughters eventually inheriting?

Can see a lot of pain in his eyes from todays presser. Respectfully, I hope some type of plan has been drafted up.

image.png.0addd8a7c3b9e529cde8a3a50833a2f2.png

Pretty sure he has said that his youngest son Matthew is interested in being involved in the football side of things.  I imagine with 5 kids there wont be an issue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Limeaid said:

Did not watch press conference until you posted this.  I agree with you on Terry.  Terry was the hockey fan and Kim the football fan so transition plan worries me,

I find these type of press conferences really irritating.  It is like going to a movie and all of the credits are in front part of the movie after suffering ads for 10 to 20 minutes.  There is a reason why people leave when credits start playing and why some studios felt need to add extra scenes mid and post credits - it is boring! Political ones are worse and this was more political than football too.

I mean, did you really expect it to be something other than a bunch of rich people patting themselves and each other on the back?

If nothing else, Terry at least shows that he's carrying a heavy load, both professional and personally, and he's never afraid to show it. At the very least, it makes him a great person.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/9/2023 at 12:05 PM, Beck Water said:

Useful even if you're not aging - unfortunately children and young people suffer adverse medical events too (little girl in car struck by Britt Reid one example)

It's beyond the scope here so I'll STFU after this, but it really rots my socks that we've evolved this horrible medical insurance system where physicians and hospitals have to maintain these huge departments of people to handle, file, and re-file medical claims.  There's a cost to re-file and pursue a claim, so hospitals and physicians balance when to re-file and when to write off - and insurance companies exploit this.  Then the consumer, who is paying for a service they are entitled to receive, is often stuck with the bill and has to figure out how to fight it. 

I had my wake-up call when I read an article about Christopher Reeve, where he discussed how many of his health insurance claims were denied and how much time he and his family had to spend challenging the denials.  I was like "*****, if they'll screw over a public figure like Superman, they'll literally screw over anyone."

Over and Out

I am running into same thing.  Needed to change insurance company again because my company went with a company which costs less while bragging on how much they give in benefits.  Insurance company wants me to change devices again with me absorbing cost and it was a device I tried before and did not work.  My doctor is going on leave and only doctor available is via video and when I expressed concern about side effects of medication which I was having I was told to talk to a nurse.  I just decided to stop going to doctor and taking medication.  My dentist also retired and his practice was bought by a chain with most of staff are gone and if I want my records elsewhere will need to pay for each item; I became an asset for them. Will need to find some way to spend my medical flex money or IRS gets to keep it as windfall tax.

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I am running into same thing.  Needed to change insurance company again because my company went with a company which costs less while bragging on how much they give in benefits.  Insurance company wants me to change devices again with me absorbing cost and it was a device I tried before and did not work.  My doctor is going on leave and only doctor available is via video and when I expressed concern about side effects of medication which I was having I was told to talk to a nurse.  I just decided to stop going to doctor and taking medication.  My dentist also retired and his practice was bought by a chain with most of staff are gone and if I want my records elsewhere will need to pay for each item; I became an asset for them. Will need to find some way to spend my medical flex money or IRS gets to keep it as windfall tax.

Thats real BS if they are charging for YOUR records. i never gave back Flex money, I'd go out and buy items that qualified even if I didn't need them at that time.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:05 PM, Beck Water said:

Over and Out

Your contributions to this thread are transcendent. Appreciate you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.