UPDATED - v3.0 (FINAL) on p.13 - Gunner's 2023 Mock Draft

GunnerBill

GB what do you think about OT Harrison at 27? I would much rather upgrade at RT and start Davis than start Brown and draft Hyatt. 

I don't follow college football but from what I've read Hyatt is basically a Davis clone. Faster 40 time yes but same idea, limited route runner and more of a situational deep threat.

Just now, Process said:

GB what do you think about OT Harrison at 27? I would much rather upgrade at RT and start Davis than start Brown and draft Hyatt. 

I don't follow college football but from what I've read Hyatt is basically a Davis clone. Faster 40 time yes but same idea, limited route runner and more of a situational deep threat.

Yea Hyatt is a vertical only receiver really. I don't think the Bills are going OL in the first. I'd consider Harrison if it were me, but putting the pieces together of the Beane pressers, the effusive talk about Spencer Brown and the fact they have been very light on OL visitors so far that we know about I don't think it is their plan. He is in the clump of players (after Trenton Simpson) that would be in consideration by my personal board (I'd have Simpson as clear BPA but then Hyatt, Harrison, Mayer, FA-U, Sanders, Campbell and Antonio Johnson in a little cluster) but not sure it is how the Bills will go. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea, interesting. I am probably a little biased against mocking him in the first because I don't love him as a prospect. He is #49 for me. But I mocked Mazi there who is #50. White actually reminds me a little bit of Travon Walker last year who I didn't have a 1st round grade on he went 1st overall. If he is invited to the Draft I think the chances are he is going day 1. 

Yeah I think if Keion White was some sort of Gergia or Clemson player rather than a Gerogia Tech transfer from Old Dominion, I think he would be first round lock. He’s still a bit under the radar and needs to be coached. But you can’t coach that size/speed/length combo he has. I love the Walker comp. Hutchinson clearly should have went before him, but Walker has some big upside. White could be as good. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I think if Keion White was some sort of Gergia or Clemson player rather than a Gerogia Tech transfer from Old Dominion, I think he would be first round lock. He’s still a bit under the radar and needs to be coached. But you can’t coach that size/speed/length combo he has. I love the Walker comp. Hutchinson clearly should have went before him, but Walker has some big upside. White could be as good. 

I like the idea of him as DT much more. If you drafted him to play 3T the learning curve is much shallower than if you want him to be an edge rusher. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I have visions of the 90s Bills and want Josh to finally get his version of Thurman Thomas. 

When teams get 7 years of control over rookies again then maybe something like that brand of football will return.    So I guess root for an apocalypse.   Until then RB's are pretty close to worthless in todays game.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He has good hands. But he doesn't separate. That is why he is of limited use in the passing game. I don't think he will end up better than Knox. I don't think he will go 1st round. He will go somewhere in the 2nd I think. 

I'm not certain he needs to separate at an elite level. At his height, length and frame it is going to be hard for just about any defender to get in position to break up a completion. Obviously, anyone drafting Washington needs to do a deep dive into why he was targeted so infrequently in the Georgia offense. Was it the system? Is he still being developed? Did he start his career as o-lineman at Georgia? What position did he play in high school? Etc. Knox was seldom targeted in college and the Bills have been able to develop him.

I could really see #27 coming down to either Hyatt or Washington. The thing about selecting Washington or perhaps Mayer or Kincaid should either still be on the board is that it would also represent a commitment to 12 personel and the Tight End being a threat in the offense. Is that something the Bills are really going to incorporate is the question that needs to be asked and answered.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I can't find the White to Chiefs rumor but this is the list of attendees... Q. Johnston was originally invited but not anymore 

I don't think Johnston was ever invited as I have read it. People expected him to be but he wasn't. Hadn't seen the full list though, thanks. I'm wondering now about White because he is a similar scheme fit as the big end in Philly's 4-3.... is #10 in play for him? Because he is the odd one out there in the sense I think we have all known for some time the rest of those guys are locks. Would make sense if the league thinks he is in play for a pick as early as top 10....

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

2. Interesting, hadn't picked up that Keion had an invite. I think that does increase the chances he is going round 1. I'm not sure I love the fit for the Chiefs particularly I think White is more of a fit in a 3-4 where he plays 5 tech in base then stands up in obvious passing situations. The Chiefs are pretty multiple, but they are more of a 4 man front. But talent wise I can see why they'd like him.

https://www.si.com/college/georgiatech/football/georgia-techs-keion-white-will-attend-the-2023-nfl-draft

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Johnston was ever invited as I have read it. People expected him to be but he wasn't. Hadn't seen the full list though, thanks. I'm wondering now about White because he is a similar scheme fit as the big end in Philly's 4-3.... is #10 in play for him? Because he is the odd one out there in the sense I think we have all known for some time the rest of those guys are locks. Would make sense if the league thinks he is in play for a pick as early as top 10....

Yep, I am just googling it, I've read somewhere that NFL "withholds" Johston's draft invititation and somehow I misunderstood that word, I thought that it meant that invitation was taken back but apparently it means something else :)

25 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Maybe we should be thinking about this fella?

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Would not mind him at 27 based on those RAS and would really fit if we could swing a Hopkins trade where we part ways with Oliver.

Shoot that would be one of the few ways I’d be ok with taking a DT first round. We take White and then trade Oliver and a 5th to AZ for Hopkins and they eat half his contract this year. It’s fun to dream about a scenario where we get Hopkins and Diggs on the same team with Josh throwing them the ball 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Maybe we should be thinking about this fella?

Maybe. He’s what AJ Epenesa and Basham were supposed to be before they lost weight…a big end who can flex inside on passing downs. He’s athletic as he was originally recruited and played his first year as a tight end. Long arms, big hands, the usual stuff. But the negatives are that he is 24 years old and there is still some rawness to his game. Imo He is definitely in play in that late teens spots….great fit for all those teams as he can play 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE, and 4-3 DT. 

18) Detroit Lions
19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
20) Seattle Seahawks
21) Los Angeles Chargers
22) Baltimore Ravens
23) Minnesota Vikings
24) Jacksonville Jaguars
25) New York Giants
26) Dallas Cowboys

That’s the gauntlet for us as most of those teams have similar needs. 

To add, I think he could go as high as 10, and then you have the Packers in the mid teens and White is the type of player they usually love. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Hyatt is a vertical only receiver really. I don't think the Bills are going OL in the first. I'd consider Harrison if it were me, but putting the pieces together of the Beane pressers, the effusive talk about Spencer Brown and the fact they have been very light on OL visitors so far that we know about I don't think it is their plan. He is in the clump of players (after Trenton Simpson) that would be in consideration by my personal board (I'd have Simpson as clear BPA but then Hyatt, Harrison, Mayer, FA-U, Sanders, Campbell and Antonio Johnson in a little cluster) but not sure it is how the Bills will go. 

I agree, I don't see the Bills going OT in round 1. Nothing they have said or done would suggest it, but it's the route I'd like to see them take. 

If the draft played out the way you mocked it, I would hope they would trade up for Addison, or trade down and take the best WR OL MLB available. Hyatt at 27 would be disappointing to me. Don't see how a situational player in Rd 1 gets us over the hump. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Thanks for doing these Bill, you are top dog level with this stuff. If I'm the Bills I could literally flip a coin over Hyatt or Mayer. Both would help and add new dimensions.

Throw Darnell Washington in there as well....I really think he would help in both the run game and the passing game. He would be my second choice if Darnell Wright is already off the board(although it would be really tough to pass on Mayer if he is still available).

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Special K said:

Throw Darnell Washington in there as well....I really think he would help in both the run game and the passing game. He would be my second choice if Darnell Wright is already off the board(although it would be really tough to pass on Mayer if he is still available).

Mayer may be the best traditional TE out there. Kincaid is a better receiving threat. Washington is a monster blocker.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I understand. I don't think there is any likely possibility that I will be "happy" with at #27. But in the mock I am trying to work out what teams might do given that board situation. 

Of course , understandable. 

You did great 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.