UPDATED - v3.0 (FINAL) on p.13 - Gunner's 2023 Mock Draft

GunnerBill

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I have a curious question, do you do a full 7 rounder still like in the old days when it was Saturday and Sunday only? Or do you do one round then tomorrow reassess and do 2-3 than 4-7?

I loved doing the old school 7 rounders but it doesn’t make any sense to do now? If you did do it , what is the latest pick you’ve nailed? 

I got Anthony Hill TE NC State correct at 122 to the Texans. I feel like I got one 3-4 years ago in the 150 range but can’t remember who 

Nah I don't. I don't watch enough players to do it. I mean I could just go e.g. oh the Saints need a RT I'm here in round 6 give them a tackle. But I'd just be throwing ***** at a wall and seeing what sticks. I do a 2 rounder in January but that's as far as I get. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah I don't. I don't watch enough players to do it. I mean I could just go e.g. oh the Saints need a RT I'm here in round 6 give them a tackle. But I'd just be throwing ***** at a wall and seeing what sticks. I do a 2 rounder in January but that's as far as I get. 

Well I mean even with research I like to call it educated guesses but we’re still throwing ***** at a wall lol

11 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Well I mean even with research I like to call it educated guesses but we’re still throwing ***** at a wall lol

Haha. Yea fair. Even doing a 1st or 1st and 2nd rounder. But my guesses in later rounds wouldn't even be educated.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the difference is fans and the talking heads are higher on the WRs than the teams. The more people talk to teams about the receivers the more you are seeing them "slide" on draft boards. 

But do the teams really give out that information and if they do, is it really true?

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But do the teams really give out that information and if they do, is it really true?

People talk its an incestuous industry. Of course some of it you take with a pinch of salt I'm sure but when reporters start to hear "man we don't love this receiver class" multiple times then they start to reflect that too.

• Like (+1) 1

I have scored my final mock by the www.fantasypros.com methodology. They scored 171 mocks this year from various experts. Mine would have ranked 24th. 

In terms of some of the higher profile guys: I was behind both Walterfootball guys and Daniel Jeremiah but ahead of Dane Brugler (The Athletic), Charles Davis (in fact all the NFL guys except DJ), Mel Kiper, Todd McShay and my guy Matt Miller (ESPN) Albert Breer (SI). 

It was a low scoring year too. So a tough year for mocking.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have scored my final mock by the www.fantasypros.com methodology. They scored 171 mocks this year from various experts. Mine would have ranked 24th. 

In terms of some of the higher profile guys: I was behind both Walterfootball guys and Daniel Jeremiah but ahead of Dane Brugler (The Athletic), Charles Davis (in fact all the NFL guys except DJ), Mel Kiper, Todd McShay and my guy Matt Miller (ESPN) Albert Breer (SI). 

Well done. You're definitely an all-star on this board in my book.

Folks make fun of Walterfootball, but they're not bad even though it is a terrible website.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Well done. You're definitely an all-star on this board in my book.

Folks make fun of Walterfootball, but they're not bad even though it is a terrible website.

The website and him as a person are by far my two biggest issues with walterfootball. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Great work, Gunner. It did look to be a particularly rough year for the Mock Draft community. Expecting next year to be a bit clearer. We're on to the 2024 NFL Draft...the New England Patriots are on the clock. 

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What is your opinion of Charles Davis? He has become one of my least favorite announcers and I can't imagine his mock drafts are any better.

Just now, MJS said:

What is your opinion of Charles Davis? He has become one of my least favorite announcers and I can't imagine his mock drafts are any better.

He is inoffensive to me. Not sure he adds much value though. I'd prefer them to have Bucky on the desk with DJ or, ideally, bring back Mayock. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Congratulations.   I'm not surprised, because you seem to think pretty carefully about this stuff.  I think guys like Kiper and McShay, although they have access to a lot of information, don't get quality inside takes on things.  They really are in the content business, not the football business.   You try to be on the other side of that line, and it shows.   The next step is for you to get access to a few insiders who will trust you enough to share a little info.   It's like the questions of whether the teams valued the receivers as high as the fans.   Who knows? unless you can talk to a scout or two.  

Nice job.  We appreciated reading your stuff through the draft.  

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Congratulations.   I'm not surprised, because you seem to think pretty carefully about this stuff.  I think guys like Kiper and McShay, although they have access to a lot of information, don't get quality inside takes on things.  They really are in the content business, not the football business.   You try to be on the other side of that line, and it shows.   The next step is for you to get access to a few insiders who will trust you enough to share a little info.   It's like the questions of whether the teams valued the receivers as high as the fans.   Who knows? unless you can talk to a scout or two.  

Nice job.  We appreciated reading your stuff through the draft.  

I have a few people I know well enough I can direct message. A couple of former scouts and a former position coach who are connected and then a few well connected prominent fan bloggers... like for the Giants and the Packers

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have a few people I know well enough I can direct message. A couple of former scouts and a former position coach who are connected and then a few well connected prominent fan bloggers... like for the Giants and the Packers

Ah.  Nice.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not bad bud, especially in a year where the difficulty was high to get anything right with such a polarizing draft class.  I know you spend a lot of time and effort on this, so congrats on that paying off and beating many of the higher profile talking heads too.  

Speaking of the higher profile guys, I think the 2 guys I respect the least of them have to be Kiper and McShay.  And the main reason is because it's like they intentionally pivot them to butt heads and dig in on disagreements for the manufactured drama.  And their track records are not great in the first place, nor do they have any kind of background to validate their loud opinions.  I feel like they mostly score poorly on their mocks most years too, so listening to them flex on each other is a waste of time. 

• Dislike 1

On 5/5/2023 at 6:57 PM, GunnerBill said:

Wow.  I didn't realize that there is a site to evaluate your mocks and provide you feedback !!!!!  NFL is crazy!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.