Sound a horn when play clock expires

Utah John

2 hours ago, Simon said:

The repeated pearl clutching over 1 meaningless second of game time never ceases to amaze me.

Do we really give a ***** about this?

Agree........the play clock exists only to make teams keep a pace to the game........1 second isn't a big competitive advantage.

For that matter.........whether or not the distance was reached for a first down when you know a team got 9.9 yards at least..........basically, IMO,  NEITHER side did their job well enough for it to be obvious........so color me less than outraged when that decision seems arbitrary(like at the end of the WC game vs Dolphins).

And when a sideline play is marginal and goes against the offense...........well, maybe try to make your plays in the other 53 plus feet of field.

If the NFL ever cares about getting these things right they can gps and chip all of it and replace the human element on many of these controversial calls.

If anything the NFL went the other way this season wrt officiating with their new liberal rules allowing manhandling receivers downfield........until they don't, of course.

Nothing bonds fans to their teams or favorite wrassler' like the perception that the refs are cheating them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For that matter.........whether or not the distance was reached for a first down when you know a team got 9.9 yards at least..........basically, IMO,  NEITHER side did their job well enough for it to be obvious........so color me less than outraged when that decision seems arbitrary

I didn't think I was going to like it when they stared foregoing measurements, making quick judgment calls and giving the O the benefit of the doubt with first down calls, but it's been one of the few things they've successfully done to keep the game moving and the momentum building.

I hope the OCD fans don't start squawking about this also when they feel wronged while looking at their angled sideline views.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

Interesting idea. It’s obnoxious to me that there isn’t more consistency. I’d like to see a change like that. 

I think they can just have a buzzer go to the officials when it hits zero. It vibrates while the official is looking at the snap. If it hasn’t snapped the penalty. Simple and easy. Allows the official to focus more on the snap of the ball rather than having to look two places.

also technology exists as buzzing down to an official occurs for booth initiated replays.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The NFL woould say that sound travels slower than light so they need to give an extra second after the clock expires for the sound to hit the ref's ear drums

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Simon said:

The repeated pearl clutching over 1 meaningless second of game time never ceases to amaze me.

No Simon we don't but if we're going to continue this ridiculous thread why not set the football to explode right at zero. Now that's what I call a dead ball. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

No Simon we don't but if we're going to continue this ridiculous thread why not set the football to explode right at zero. Now that's what I call a dead ball. 

Love the Acme quality idea but I'd be concerned about Belichik figuring a way to make it blow up in Morse's face with 3 seconds left.

• Haha (+1) 4

The lights are a good idea, the other thing they should do, like the NBA and NCAA basketball, is show the tenths of the second in the last 5 seconds of the play clock. I think now when the play clock goes to zero there are actually .9 seconds left. The combo (lights and tenths) would alleviate all these debates. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Simon said:

Absolutely. Or at least we should.  How many big plays have happend in key moments when it clearly should have been a 5 yard penalty in the opposite direction?

• Like (+1) 1

In one of the games this weekend (can't remember which one), there was a no call on delay of game (clock showed zero) but they called encroachment. The defensive player jumped once the clock hit zero, timing his rush to the play clock. I couldn't believe that they ignored the delay of game in that instance. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Utah John said:

The NFL has this strange procedure for calling delay of game penalties when the play clock expires.  Sometimes it seems a QB will have a full extra second, but not always. 

With all the high-resolution technology available for almost everything else, why use this subjective approach?  When the play clock expires, sound a horn (like in basketball) and have lights on the sidelines go on, so no one can mistake when the snap is late. This seems like a very easy, and fair, way to go.  

Super easy fix, not a huge fan of the horn and lights, but just put a “pack” of some kind on the official who monitors the clock. 

The pack vibrates as soon as the clock hits zero. 

He doesn’t have to take his eyes off the ball. 

the pack vibrates and ball isn’t snapped he throws the flag. 

Simple 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't think this is ridiculous.  It's a valid concern.  If the Dolphins convert a 4th and 8 to get into field goal range to win the game against us with 15 seconds left, but snapped the ball 1 second after the play clock ran out, you would be pretty pissed they were not set back 5 yards instead.  No exploding balls.  In the year 2023, we should be able to notify the ref in some way where he doesnt have to take his eye off the ball.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.