Sound a horn when play clock expires

Utah John

40 minutes ago, Simon said:

You can gain competitive advantages from false starts or illegal formations, but the 41st second on the play clock is completely irrelevant.

Either way, I guess the point is that no matter which it is, according to the rules, the play should not be allowed to go off.  unlike Offside which can result in a free play, pre snap penalties are dead ball.  No Play.  No free seconds, or 2 seconds.  I just believe it matters.  Agree to disagree.  

• Like (+1) 2

How about having a vibrating pager type device on the head referee's belt or wherever.

Synch it up to the "official" clock, whatever that is.

The moment it hits zero, it buzzes and he feels that, while being able to LOOK and see if the ball is snapped.

If the snap is late, he throws the flag and the play doesn't count, even if the play began.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Why has this suddenly become a problem? I've been watching football for decades, like many here, and before this season, when the clock hits zeros, flag out whistle blows. it was fairly rare that it was missed. I don't get it. I just don't get it!!

it’s being governed the same. It’s just a rare call to begin with and happened to be seen a few times recently in close succession. Nothing about it is new. 

22 hours ago, Utah John said:

The NFL has this strange procedure for calling delay of game penalties when the play clock expires.  Sometimes it seems a QB will have a full extra second, but not always. 

With all the high-resolution technology available for almost everything else, why use this subjective approach?  When the play clock expires, sound a horn (like in basketball) and have lights on the sidelines go on, so no one can mistake when the snap is late. This seems like a very easy, and fair, way to go.  

Too good of an idea & it doesn’t allow the no call when needed. You know the NFL needs to have full control if need be. 

Edited by Rebel101

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

How about having a vibrating pager type device on the head referee's belt or wherever.

The moment it hits zero, it buzzes and he feels that, while being able to LOOK and see if the ball is snapped.

If the snap is late, he throws the flag and the play doesn't count, even if the play began.

I mean, sure. 

that said, as long as the mechanics of the process are always the same, it’s essentially just giving a standardized half second buffer that as long as standard makes no material difference 

21 hours ago, Simon said:

The repeated pearl clutching over 1 meaningless second of game time never ceases to amaze me.

Do we really give a ***** about this?

Because 1 second over 30 plays turns into 30 seconds.  That stuff adds up, and 30 seconds is a lifetime for some teams.  If we aren't supposed to give a ***** about holding teams accountable for getting plays off at 40 seconds and not 41 or 42 seconds, then why have a play clock in the first place?

• Thank you (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Simon said:

These guys can get on the line and snap the ball in 10-12 seconds when they want to.

The difference between 40-41 seconds is meaningless, imo.

An average game has 154 plays.  If each team takes the full play clock and gets that 1 second extra, that means two and a half minutes are being spent on what you consider "meaningless."  That is a long ass time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

Because 1 second over 30 plays turns into 30 seconds.  That stuff adds up, and 30 seconds is a lifetime for some teams.  If we aren't supposed to give a ***** about holding teams accountable for getting plays off at 40 seconds and not 41 or 42 seconds, then why have a play clock in the first place?

so your cool if they just swap it to 39 seconds and roll as is it seems. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I mean, sure. 

that said, as long as the mechanics of the process are always the same, it’s essentially just giving a standardized half second buffer that as long as standard makes no material difference 

I agree that the mechanics of the process are always the same so it's not a big deal in most games because teams generally don't butt up against the buffer regularly. But in the Miami game it felt like it happened all game and I thought the refs should have called it a little tighter after it kept recurring - similar to what they'll sometimes do when players start getting chippy.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Gee I wonder where you got that idea?

On 1/31/2023 at 8:31 AM, Meatloaf63 said:

If you won’t follow one rule, why do you follow any?   He got one foot in bounds why do you need two? It hit the goal post close enough? Etc….

They do follow the rules. 

The problem is that a small group of fans doesn't like the way it's accomplished. 

I don't see a problem.

As for the horn, no thanks. I'm betting that would become annoying very quickly.

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Better way to do it than the horn.

But I just don't see a problem big enough to fix.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillyBilliams said:

An average game has 154 plays.  If each team takes the full play clock and gets that 1 second extra, that means two and a half minutes are being spent on what you consider "meaningless."  That is a long ass time.

It's closer to half or three-quarters of a second. And I've never seen a game where this was an issue more than maybe 10 or 15 times. 

In basketball, the shot clock is visible above the basket and a horn sounds when it hits zero [not one second after zero].  The only judgement is if the shot was in the air when the horn sounds, if it goes in it's good, if not if it hits the rim, it's play on, and clock resets to 20.  If the shot is up and misses the rim, its a violation, and the ball goes to the other team. 

Football has enough officials and enough money that if the clock hits zero, a horn should sound and the back judge should get a buzzer cue like you do in a restaurant, signal e.g. horn or play clock lights up.

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They do follow the rules. 

The problem is that a small group of fans doesn't like the way it's accomplished. 

I don't see a problem.

As for the horn, no thanks. I'm betting that would become annoying very quickly.

Better way to do it than the horn.

But I just don't see a problem big enough to fix.

The problem is it allows for referee bias and it’s not always consistent. We live in a day and age where there should be many ways to accomplish being accurate and not giving an advantage from time to time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/30/2023 at 5:10 PM, Simon said:

The repeated pearl clutching over 1 meaningless second of game time never ceases to amaze me.

Do we really give a ***** about this?

it's not about the time. It is about it is a penalty that needs fair application to all teams. NFL seems to give each team the same leeway but there must be a better way.

when you don't follow the set penalty rules then you open pandoras box for one team to be slighted if they also do not get the same leeway.

On 1/30/2023 at 6:16 PM, JROC INTEL said:

Its a good idea, but id say no. There would be so many instances of it going off at the wrong time bc someone didn’t operate the clock correctly/turn it off in time. I think it’s one of those things better left alone personally. 

The ref on field could have button he pushs when ball is hiked. Ref button would stop the playclock horn from sounding if he pushed his button first.

but best and easiest is very simple. They have ref in booth watching the plays. He can clearly see the ball is hiked late just like the millions watching on tv. Then can buzz refs to blow whistle even just after play starts if he is a little delayed buzzing down.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.