MY OPINION

Billever76

3 hours ago, Billever76 said:

The miller signing was a desperation signing to compensate for poor drafting and development of our Dline 

That's the whole point of this post...if we had reversed the way we have went around Building this team we could have an offense that RIVALS  everyone...then and only then do you start filling out the defense..it's an offense driven league and to deny that is to live in the land of delusions

Indeed we have a qb with the athletic abilities that make him a UNICORN.  If they had the invested in OL and weapons for Allen the perfect game against NE would be just the first in a string of similar games that no other QB is close to doing once. 

And the kicker is with that offense our current defense would work perfectly for.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Don't you think that 20 points were too many for a Zach Wilson led offense? 

Not as much as I think 17 points wasn't enough for a Josh Allen led offense.

The Bills defense gave up 0.9 points more than their season average that game.

The Bills offense scored 11.4 points less than their season average that game.

Which side of the ball under performed?   Take your time, I know it's a tough one and it involves math. 

I'm done with this ridiculous argument.  It's like talking into a dead phone.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

4 hours ago, Billever76 said:

I would have posted these thoughts on Sunday at 8pm but I was suspended for "CRUSADING" against coaches 😆...But crusade against players is open season here....fans hold our current staff almost Godly in Buffalo and credit them with turning the franchise around...I see it as they got lucky on Josh Allen and Allen is the biggest reason of why we are now a winning team...

Dude you're not wrong and I agree with everything in your post. They'll always be those loyal to McD because he dug us out of the drought.  And for that I'm thankful.  You either build your team around Josh or you don't. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Something I think you have wrong is thinking Beane is McDermott’s boss. He’s not, McDermott hired Beane.

I think this is just a rumor that fans and or some media made it up.  It may be true but I dont think it is.  Just because McD basically took over the draft with Whaley who was headed out the door and the Pegulas hired Beane under McD's suggestion, doesn't mean that McD is the boss.  They probably work together like most GM/Coach relationships.

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

image.thumb.png.fc1f3658122867e36021d6941fddfdbd.png

I can assure you I'm not an AI bot lol

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think this is just a rumor that fans and or some media made it up.  It may be true but I dont think it is.  Just because McD basically took over the draft with Whaley who was headed out the door and the Pegulas hired Beane under McD's suggestion, doesn't mean that McD is the boss.  They probably work together like most GM/Coach relationships.

Idk I think McDermott values defense so much its almost like he has 0 concern for anything to do with the offense...and the way Bean has drafted and our signing of Von would tell me Bean did what McDermott told him to

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The way I understand it is they both report to Pegula

It seems to me like they have gotten along perfectly

I can understand all this talk if the team wasn’t winning and not having 13 and three seasons but there’s absolutely no reason to believe that these two don’t get along great

I am sure that they’re feeling a little bit of heat given that they’re getting close to winning it all and then not getting the final prize but other than four other teams in the league other teams would be dying to have this relationship in the front office

22 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Dude you're not wrong and I agree with everything in your post. They'll always be those loyal to McD because he dug us out of the drought.  And for that I'm thankful.  You either build your team around Josh or you don't. 

Unfortunately with this coaching staff it feels we will continue to build this team around MCDERMOTT 

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The way I understand it is they both report to Pegula

It seems to me like they have gotten along perfectly

I can understand all this talk if the team wasn’t winning and not having 13 and three seasons but there’s absolutely no reason to believe that these two don’t get along great

I am sure that they’re feeling a little bit of heat given that they’re getting close to winning it all and then not getting the final prize but other than four other teams in the league other teams would be dying to have this relationship in the front office

I think Pegula simply isn't a hands on owner and I think bean was brought in by McDermott bc McDermott knows he will get the most sway out of any other gm....McDermott is loyal to his coordinators and men he brought in that even if one is fired he will just promote someone from within and just continue to run the same ship....I don't see any changes in how our process progresses with this entire staff...and without demand from the top it is gonna continue to be a defense first mentality imo....I don't want to say this Regime smells of cronyism but it's enough to make one wonder

4 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Unfortunately with this coaching staff it feels we will continue to build this team around MCDERMOTT 

I think Pegula simply isn't a hands on owner and I think bean was brought in by McDermott bc McDermott knows he will get the most sway out of any other gm....McDermott is loyal to his coordinators and men he brought in that even if one is fired he will just promote someone from within and just continue to run the same ship....I don't see any changes in how our process progresses with this entire staff...and without demand from the top it is gonna continue to be a defense first mentality imo....I don't want to say this Regime smells of cronyism but it's enough to make one wonder

I have no doubt that being was brought in by McDermott and that’s because he does good at what he does probably they also have a good working relationship together. A lot of this is about fit know who reports to who

It has worked well anyone that says that has not worked well is not paying attention. They are a perennial playoff contender even though they have not won the final prize that doesn’t make it a failure failure is whenever they don’t make the playoffs and people get fired.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I have no doubt that being was brought in by McDermott and that’s because he does good at what he does probably they also have a good working relationship together. A lot of this is about fit know who reports to who

It has worked well anyone that says that has not worked well is not paying attention. They are a perennial playoff contender even though they have not won the final prize that doesn’t make it a failure failure is whenever they don’t make the playoffs and people get fired.

Explain how 4 of our 6 firsts have went to defense and why they aren't progressing much....I mean our 1st round pick last season rode the bench most of the year while Dane jackson was burnt toast....if you can honestly say bean has done a good job then idk what you have been watching.....if we simply switched our defense draft picks with offense ones and the von signing with a stud wr I'd argue our team would be in much better shape...I see it as we have done things totally backwards on how we assembled this team through the draft and FA

7 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Explain how 4 of our 6 firsts have went to defense and why they aren't progressing much....I mean our 1st round pick last season rode the bench most of the year while Dane jackson was burnt toast....if you can honestly say bean has done a good job then idk what you have been watching.....if we simply switched our defense draft picks with offense ones and the von signing with a stud wr I'd argue our team would be in much better shape...I see it as we have done things totally backwards on how we assembled this team through the draft and FA

General managers are rated on how well the team performs.Period

Frankly, whenever you get the franchise QB, right, it gives you a lot of leeway

2 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Yea josh allen has masked the failures from the gm and coaching staff imo

no doubt, but that masking only goes so far

It doesn’t mask that the defense went number one in dvoa during the regular season

Once again, whenever you’re evaluating management, you don’t just evaluate how they did in the playoffs. The regular season is taken into consideration as a fan can choose to evaluate it the way that you want but the people that are doling out the paychecks do not view it that way, nor should they. 

Let’s put it this way. Let’s say the bills fire Brandon beane he would have another job before he made it to his car

Edited by John from Riverside

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

no doubt, but that masking only goes so far

It doesn’t mask that the defense went number one in dvoa during the regular season

Once again, whenever you’re evaluating management, you don’t just evaluate how they did in the playoffs. The regular season is taken into consideration as a fan can choose to evaluate it the way that you want but the people that are doling out the paychecks do not view it that way, nor should they. 

I'd beg to differ...once you have reached the point where regular season wins don't equate to playoff and superbowl success it might be time to reevaluate esp if you value the time we will have a generational at QB for

Just now, Billever76 said:

I'd beg to differ...once you have reached the point where regular season wins don't equate to playoff and superbowl success it might be time to reevaluate esp if you value the time we will have a generational at QB for

That’s why you’re a fan and not making decisions for the team
From a financial perspective, you only start seriously reevaluating it whenever the wins stop happening

I will say this again because you’re not getting it. Nobody’s getting fired after 13 and three season you might get some positional coaches going away, but no one of significance is getting fired from a winning season

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

This doesn’t make sense, why aren’t you taking everything into account? What if the Bills had gone 8-9 this year, only got in because the division sucked, and somehow won games to reach the AFCC or even the Super Bowl? 8-9 would very clearly show issues, but according to what you’re saying, that shouldn’t matter 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

That’s why you’re a fan and not making decisions for the team
From a financial perspective, you only start seriously reevaluating it whenever the wins stop happening

I will say this again because you’re not getting it. Nobody’s getting fired after 13 and three season you might get some positional coaches going away, but no one of significance is getting fired from a winning season

Ask Marty Schottenheimer if that's true 😆 

27 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Firstly I'm happy we don't have a meddling owner. And I'm not naive enough to think McDermott isn't calling the shots.  Beane may be the one physically making the picks but I 100% guarantee you Sean is heavily involved in the selection of ALL defensive players.  He let's Beane select the offensive guys.  Picking up Von was not a bad move albeit expensive.  Just bad luck (billsy) that he got hurt. The failed defensive draft picks fall on Sean.

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

This doesn’t make sense, why aren’t you taking everything into account? What if the Bills had gone 8-9 this year, only got in because the division sucked, and somehow won games to reach the AFCC or even the Super Bowl? 8-9 would very clearly show issues, but according to what you’re saying, that shouldn’t matter 

Nothing I say will make sense to you...you obviously agree with the way the team has been ran and built and are content as long as we make playoffs and never are quite good enough....

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The defense really played well all year.  They didn't show up against Cincy, but neither did the offense.

The Bills defense finished 4th in the NFL giving up an average of 19.1 points a game.  That's the only defensive stat that matters.  That is a fantastic average.  I'll take Josh Allen scoring 20 points to win a game any week, and that's why the Bills only lost 3 regular season games all year.

I'm not sure what happened against Cincy.  The team just collapsed on both sides of the ball.  That one performance doesn't mean that the Bills' defense is broken.  I'd sign up for another season where the defense gives up less than 20 points a game in a heart beat.

This is a good argument to make the offense top priority (ie - line, RB, WR).  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Firstly I'm happy we don't have a meddling owner. And I'm not naive enough to think McDermott isn't calling the shots.  Beane may be the one physically making the picks but I 100% guarantee you Sean is heavily involved in the selection of ALL defensive players.  He let's Beane select the offensive guys.  Picking up Von was not a bad move albeit expensive.  Just bad luck (billsy) that he got hurt. The failed defensive draft picks fall on Sean.

What defensive player has lived up to their draft spot?...we have first round players not even starting...we have first round talent playing 60% of the snaps behind a rotation dline....if we had all them first picks being spent on oline and that von money being spent on an aj brown /hopkins type wr we are getting production from them 100% of the time 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Billever76 said:

Nothing I say will make sense to you...you obviously agree with the way the team has been ran and built and are content as long as we make playoffs and never are quite good enough....

Try-explain how my example is off and what you are saying is the way they should think about it. Again, it seems that your point of view would be an 8-9 team (hello Tampa) that goes 1 round further in the playoffs needs less changes than a 14-3 team? 

5 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Ask Marty Schottenheimer if that's true 😆 

So you’re going to take the one time in NFL history and you’re going to try to apply it here this is kind of weak, sir

What defensive player has lived up to their draft spot?...we have first round players not even starting...we have first round talent playing 60% of the snaps behind a rotation dline....if we had all them first picks being spent on oline and that von money being spent on an aj brown /hopkins type wr we are getting production from them 100% of the time 

I’m not a huge fan of what they have done using high picks on defensive line rotation, whenever they don’t get enough playing time to really show statistically what they can do

It’s one of the things that I do critique

But whenever you’re looking at overall performance, Brandon Beane has done just fine. How do I know that because they just went 13 and three and that’s how you measure success

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I actually wonder if some of our fans are so new that they don’t realize the days we are non-football people. We’re making football decisions on this team. It was absolutely horrible.

7 hours ago, Billever76 said:

the state of the offense is directly tied to the Decisions of our HC/gm relationship!..bean has went and got the players MCDERMOTT wanted for his Defense while the offense suffers bc of it.....Defense has 4 1st rounders and 3 2nd rounders on the dline ....not to mention overpaying an aged pass rusher 100m !....imagine what this offense would look like if that kind of attention has been given to the oline and rb/wr core?!!.we could have Diggs,Aj brown instead of cody ford and hopkins instead of von miller and we could have a top 5 oline ...we have a TOTAL coaching problem...from the gm who obviously is FRIENDS first and Boss second!..to a HC who seems to only be concerned with Defense so much that he not only spent all that draft capital and 100m for a single piece but he also handed over the keys to the offense in a superbowl or bust season to an Offensive coordinator who had 0 nfl exp calling an offense...Frazier while runs the same type of defenses scheme wise McDermott covets,He is way more "SAFE" and is highly reluctant to any change all season..no adjustments..vanilla and few blitzing and soft cushions on wrs.....Dorsey...just in way over his head and needs on the job experience and time to grow as a playcaller....which will waste YEARS of Prime Josh Allen.....it's much better if we cut bait now from this Regime but sadly we won't for another   2 to 3 yrs ATLEAST

It depends on your expectations of the team. If you are fine with a good regular season record and playoff appearances then this current regime should remain intact. If you want Super Bowl appearances and a Lombardi Trophy it's unlikely to happen with this regime.

Fraizer's has shown time after time his defense is not good enough in the playoffs. I see nothing that gives me optimism in Fraizer's D. Imho, it's time for a defensive change.

Dorsey is very raw and learning on the job. Not ideal when you are chasing the elusive ring. Hard to know how he will develop as an OC. We have a one year sample that has mixed results at best.

For the most part, I think Allen and his raw talent bailed him out and hid Dorsey's short comings. I saw a Dorsey offense that lacked motion and creative plays, inconsistent game plan, lack of identity, and didn't utilize all his player's skill sets. I suppose he deserves another year to improve. Josh and him seem to be pretty close. With that said, it's difficult for me to get excited about having Dorsey back. I feel like it more like wait and see with rather than excitement to see his dynamic offensive schemes.   Not ideal...

Lastly, let's talk about Coach McD. Hard not to like his character. Outstanding man who has built a high character team, a winning culture, and represents and wears Buffalo on his sleeve. Would really be hard pressed to find such a high caliber person to coach this team.

For years, I was a big McD fan. His players respect and play hard for him. His knack for saying and doing the right things on and off the field. Slowly turning the team into a winning machine. Playoff after playoff appearance. I thought it's only a matter of time before this team accomplishes what the team of the 90s couldn't do.

Then 13 seconds happened and my mindset changed. I grew angry at the coaching staff and more specifically McD. I hold him ultimately responsible for that colossal blunder. His response afterwards left many Bills fans empty. As time passed the emotions of anger turned into sadness. Sadness turned into forgiveness. Forgiveness turned into hope.

The Bills were the talk of the NFL. Super Bowl favorites. This was clearly going to be the year!!!. We know the rest as I digress.

I see the good and not so good with Coach MCD. For me, McD has probably earned at least another year to coach the Bills. Not sure anyone else out there can lead the team to the ultimate goal. However, I have some serious doubt McD can succeed. So far, he's really come up short. The last 2 years have been quite disappointing in the playoffs.

Running it back with these three coaching just seems very uninspiring and uncreative. Especially, after the pounding they received from Cinci in Buffalo. Just my two cents. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It depends on your expectations of the team. If you are fine with a good regular season record and playoff appearances then this current regime should remain intact. If you want Super Bowl appearances and a Lombardi Trophy it's unlikely to happen with this regime.

Fraizer's has shown time after time his defense is not good enough in the playoffs. I see nothing that gives me optimism in Fraizer's D. Imho, it's time for a defensive change.

Dorsey is very raw and learning on the job. Not ideal when you are chasing the elusive ring. Hard to know how he will develop as an OC. We have a one year sample that has mixed results at best. For the most part, I think Allen and his raw talent bailed him out and hid Dorsey's short comings. I saw a Dorsey offense that lacked motion and creative plays, inconsistent game plan, lack of identity, and didn't utilize all his player's skill sets. I suppose he deserves another year to improve. Josh and him seem to be pretty close. With that said, it's difficult for me to get excited about having Dorsey back. I feel like it more like wait and see with rather than excitement to see his dynamic offensive schemes.   Not ideal...

Lastly, let's talk about Coach McD. Hard not to like his character. Outstanding man who has built a high character team, a winning culture, and represents and wears Buffalo on his sleeve. Would really be hard pressed to find such a high caliber person to coach this team. For years, I was a big McD fan. His players respect and play hard for him. His knack for saying and doing the right things on and off the field. Slowly turning the team into a winning machine. Playoff after playoff appearance. I thought it's only a matter of time before this team accomplishes what the team of the 90s couldn't do. Then 13 seconds happened and my mindset changed. I grew angry at the coaching staff and more specifically McD. I hold him ultimately responsible for that colossal blunder. His response afterwards left many Bills fans empty. As time passed the emotions of anger turned into sadness. Sadness turned into forgiveness. Forgiveness turned into hope. The Bills were the talk of the NFL. Super Bowl favorites. This was clearly going to be the year!!!. We know the rest as I digress. I see the good and not so good with Coach MCD. For me, McD has probably earned at least another year to coach the Bills. Not sure anyone else out there can lead the team to the ultimate goal. However, I have some serious doubt McD can succeed. So far, he's really come up short. The last 2 years have been quite disappointing in the playoffs.

Running it back with these three coaching just seems very uninspiring and uncreative. Especially, after the pounding they received from Cinci in Buffalo. Just my two cents. 

Great post and much better grammar than mine I must say 😉 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billever76 said:

I'm even on board with giving bean and McDermott another year of support but that would have to come with Frazier not being back and McDermott dropping his stubborn approach of his process....we need a more aggressive approach on Defense ....give dorsey another year bc we really have no choice but if this team goes out next season and has the same or worse results then McDermott has sealed his fate..McDermott is on the hot seat...no way he can't be...we are now going into year 7!....we cannot waste Josh Allen's prime..we can find 5 more mcdermotts but we will not Find another Josh allen....this team needs to be built in what protects our Qb and what is the best process for HIM

So you get suspended and come right back to pout some more? When I was reading your original post all I could picture was a little kid kicking and screaming because mommy wouldn't buy him ice cream. 

As far as the defense goes.....Yes prior year's blunders, I get it and am fully on board with criticism of some of those games(Mainly the last 2 KC playoff games). But how aggressive do you expect a DC to be down starters and others playing nowhere near 100%. Let's take a look at what he was dealing with on Sunday:

Free Safety: 2 time 2nd team All-Pro(2017 & 2021) Micah Hyde, injured in game #2- out. #2 FS Hamlin, injured - out. #3 Marlowe started game, but was injured and didn't return. Down to our #4 FS.

Strong Safety: Last year's 1st team All-Pro SS Jordan Poyer playing, but multiple injuries took a toll on him. He's a warrior, but his play started to decline after his injury in week #4 against the Ravens and it only went downhill from there. By the end of the year, with the torn meniscus, he was so much slower. Poyer gets hurt in the game, in comes the #2 SS Johnson.

#1 Corner back: x2 All-Pro CB Tre White, playing, but he was nowhere near pre ACL Tre White and was a liability in the passing game.

Linebacker/Defensive End: x7 time All-Pro and future 1st ballot Hall of Famer Von Miller. Tore his ACL in week 12, out. This defense was far different when he was playing, our pressure rate dropped 20 spots once he was hurt, so did our ranking in every major defensive catagory. 

Those 4 players have 12 All-Pro selections between them. And they were either out or severely limited. Add to that the guy who anchored the middle of of DL(Jones)....out and Phillips playing with 1 arm. 

What defense would play well under those circumstances. 4 our of the top 5 players out or playing hurt? Best passer, #1 & #2 Free Safeties, Strong Safety & best CB. The scheme wasn't aggressive because the players hurt accounted for most of the talent on that side of the ball. Is that so hard to see? 

You like picking on the signing of Von. Quoting spending over $100 million on him. Yet any Bills fan knows Von's real deal is 3 years $52.5 million, that's nothing but over the top sensationalism to try and prove a failing point. On top of that he clearly showed his worth, all you have to do is look at the defense pre vs post injury. 

You said their ranking in the regular season doesn't mean anything because they play easier teams rather than the tough teams you meet in the playoffs. That's true to a degree, last year's defense would be a prime example of that, but this defense played much harder teams and much tougher offenses. The defense in the first 6-7 games this year was very good. They ranked better than San Fran's at the time and played a far harder schedule.

Week 3 - At Miami vs pre concussion Tua. Miami entered the game averaging 31 ppg. The defense gave up 21 points a week after Tua threw for 469 yards and 6 tds vs the Ravens. Tua threw for 186 yards & 1 td vs a defense without Hyde, Poyer & White. 7 of the 21 points was a 6 yard td drive curiosity of an offensive turnover. We should've won this game with that defensive effort.

Week 4 - At Baltimore vs healthy Lamar: Baltimore entered the game averaging 33.3 ppg, the defense held them to 20. What makes this more impressive is Baltimore had a 4 yard td drive and 12 yard fg drive because of offensive turnovers. Offense only put up 23 and gave up 10 on turnovers. The defense won us this game.

Week 5 - At home vs Pitt. Nothing too impressive with this, it's just sandwiched in a 4 game stretch I'm going off of. Though it's important to note it was the lowest point total for Pitt all year. 

Week 6 - At KC. Kc entered the game averaging 33 ppg. Held Mahomes and the Chiefs to their 2nd lowest point total all year, in their house. With the offense scoring only 24, yet again the defense clearly won this game for us. 

They were playing playoff teams and top offenses, at their full power, early in the year before the injuries became too much. And performed exceptionally, with all 3 big wins on the road. That doesn't even count week 1, Rams - 10 points, week 2, Titans - 7 points. Week 8, Packers - 17 points, week 9, Jets - 20 points. After 8 games they were giving up only 14.75 ppg. The defense at the end of the year was a shell of what it was in the 1st half of the year, not because of scheme or coaching, but because their top talent on defense was Injured.

Once again I get the frustration with the defense from the last few postseasons. I just don't see what could've been done given the players playing last Sunday. The Bengals scored  .9 points over their season average against a very wounded defense. The onslaught should've been worse. I wouldn't have been satisfied with our offense if we only scored 27 against a defense in that bad of shape.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

So you get suspended and come right back to pout some more? When I was reading your original post all I could picture was a little kid kicking and screaming because mommy wouldn't buy him ice cream. 

As far as the defense goes.....Yes prior year's blunders, I get it and am fully on board with criticism of some of those games(Mainly the last 2 KC playoff games). But how aggressive do you expect a DC to be down starters and others playing nowhere near 100%. Let's take a look at what he was dealing with on Sunday:

Free Safety: 2 time 2nd team All-Pro(2017 & 2021) Micah Hyde, injured in game #2- out. #2 FS Hamlin, injured - out. #3 Marlowe started game, but was injured and didn't return. Down to our #4 FS.

Strong Safety: Last year's 1st All-Pro SS Jordan Poyer playing, but multiple injuries took a toll on him. He's a warrior, but his play started to decline after his injury in week #4 against the Ravens and it only went downhill from there. By the end of the year, with the torn meniscus, he was so much slower. Poyer gets hurt in the game, in comes the #2 SS Johnson.

#1 Corner back: x2 All-Pro CB Tre White, playing, but he was nowhere near pre ACL Tre White and was a liability in the passing game.

Linebacker/Defensive End: x7 time All-Pro and future 1st ballot Hall of Famer Von Miller. Tore his ACL in week 12, out. This defense was far different when he was playing, our pressure rate dropped 20 spots once he was hurt, so did our ranking in every major defensive catagory. 

Those 4 players have 12 All-Pro selections between them. And they were either out or severely limited. Add to that the guy who anchored the middle of of DL(Jones)....out and Phillips playing with 1 arm. 

What defense would play well under those circumstances. 4 our of the top 5 players out or playing hurt? Best passer, #1 & #2 Free Safeties, Strong Safety & best CB. The scheme wasn't aggressive because the players hurt accounted for most of the talent on that side of the ball. Is that so hard to see? 

You like picking on the signing of Von. Quoting spending over $100 million on him. Yet any Bills fan knows Von's real deal is 3 years $52.5 million, that's nothing but over the top sensationalism to try and prove a failing point. On top of that he clearly showed his worth, all you have to do is look at the defense pre vs post injury. 

You said their ranking in the regular season doesn't mean anything because they play easier teams rather than the tough teams you meet in the playoffs. That's true to a degree, last year's defense would be a prime example of that, but this defense played much harder teams and much tougher offenses. The defense in the first 6-7 games this year was very good. They ranked better than San Fran's at the time and played a far harder schedule.

Week 3 - At Miami vs pre concussion Tua. Miami entered the game averaging 31 ppg. The defense gave up 21 points a week after Tua threw for 469 yards and 6 tds vs the Ravens. Tua threw for 186 yards & 1 td vs a defense without Hyde, Poyer & White. 7 of the 21 points was a 6 yard td drive curiosity of an offensive turnover. We should've won this game with that defensive effort.

Week 4 - At Baltimore vs healthy Lamar: Baltimore entered the game averaging 33.3 ppg, the defense held them to 20. What makes this more impressive is Baltimore had a 4 yard td drive and 12 yard fg drive because of offensive turnovers. Offense only put up 23 and gave up 10 on turnovers. The defense won us this game.

Week 5 - At home vs Pitt. Nothing too impressive with this, it's just sandwiched in a 4 game stretch I'm going off of. Though it's important to note it was the lowest point total for Pitt all year. 

Week 6 - At KC. Kc entered the game averaging 33 ppg. Held Mahomes and the Chiefs to their 2nd lowest point total all year, in their house. With the offense scoring only 24, yet again the defense clearly won this game for us. 

They were playing playoff teams and top offenses, at their full power, early in the year before the injuries became too much. And performed exceptionally, with all 3 big wins on the road. That doesn't even count week 1, Rams - 10 points, week 2, Titans - 7 points. Week 8, Packers - 17 points, week 9, Jets - 20 points. After 8 games they were giving up only 14.75 ppg. The defense at the end of the year was a shell of what it was in the 1st half of the year, not because of scheme or coaching, but because their top talent on defense was Injured.

Once again I get the frustration with the defense from the last few postseasons. I just don't see what could've been done given the players playing last Sunday. The Bengals scored  .9 points over their season average against a very wounded defense. The onslaught should've been worse. I wouldn't have been satisfied with our offense if we only scored 27 against a defense in that bad of shape.

You typed all that and failed to see the Bengals would have put up 40 points if they needed to.....sorry but I totally disagree with you....if we invested how we have offense I don't think any team in the league can stop us from scoring ...simply flip the assets we have invested in defense and give it to the offense and vice versa...we still would have a top 15 defense but the offense would more than likely be the unanimous #1 in the league

You typed all that and failed to see the Bengals would have put up 40 points if they needed to.....sorry but I totally disagree with you....if we invested how we have offense I don't think any team in the league can stop us from scoring ...simply flip the assets we have invested in defense and give it to the offense and vice versa...we still would have a top 15 defense but the offense would more than likely be the unanimous #1 in the league

The defense is exposed when the competition gets tougher in the playoffs.......no team left has neglected their offenses esp ol and wr like the Bills have and its the reason we are out of the competition 

Edited by Billever76

30 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

The Bengals scored what they could, once again all you have here is opinion. Facts are they scored 27 or .9 points over their season average.

If we flipped all the assets over the last few years, we would not be a top 15 defense, not even close. By the way who's playing defense if we didn't spend the money or the draft picks on them? The defense ranked 6th giving up 319.1 ypg, 15th place gave up 334.0. So it would only cost us 14.9 yards a game. Come on dude, do you really believe this?😂

And for all those assets for an offense to get 15- 20 ypg and another point or 2 per game. But we are already #2 in ypg and ppg.

Do we need to add a couple of quality players on the oline and a WR, sure I would 100% agree with that. But at the same time we have a weapon in Cook and they refused to use him. 6 carries a game, when having the highest ypc average in the NFL, is almost criminal. We needed speed and had Cook & Hines, but Dorsey refused to use them. 

In the end it's the over the top stuff that gets me. I mean you're still so angry that you can't acknowledge that injuries played the biggest role in the defensive performance Sunday. When it was painfully obvious watching it, what & who we were lacking. Take San Fran or Dallas defenses, remove their best pass rusher and Free Safety & backup. Limit their Strong Safety & their #1 Corner. Remove a big guy from the middle of their dline and limit another one. They would get their butts kicked by Cincy's offense just like Buffalo did. 

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

16 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The Bengals scored what they could, once again all you have here is opinion. Facts are they scored 27 or .9 points over their season average.

If we flipped all the assets over the last few years, we would not be a top 15 defense, not even close. By the way who's playing defense if we didn't spend the money or the draft picks on them? The defense ranked 6th giving up 319.1 ypg, 15th place gave up 334.0. So it would only cost us 14.9 yards a game. Come on dude, do you really believe this?😂

And for all those assets for an offense to get 15- 20 ypg and another point or 2 per game. But we are already #2 in ypg and ppg.

Do we need to add a couple of quality players on the oline and a WR, sure I would 100% agree with that. But at the same time we have a weapon in Cook and they refused to use him. 6 carries a game, when having the highest ypc average in the NFL, is almost criminal. We needed speed and had Cook & Hines, but Dorsey refused to use them. 

In the end it's the over the top stuff that gets me. I mean you're still so angry that you can't acknowledge that injuries played the biggest role in the defensive performance Sunday. When it was painfully obvious watching it, what & who we were lacking. Take San Fran or Dallas defenses, remove their best pass rusher and Free Safety & backup. Limit their Strong Safety & their #1 Corner. Remove a big guy from the middle of their dline and limit another one. They would get their butts kicked by Cincy's offense just like Buffalo did. 

1 year in the playoffs its a fluke

2 years in the playoffs just bad luck

3 years (Houston we have a problem)

Without an oline and a wr2 opposite diggs we have seen our peak no matter how you slice it....playoffs separate the good from the great...we are good but could be great with a draft or two of focusing on the offense 

19 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

1 year in the playoffs its a fluke

2 years in the playoffs just bad luck

3 years (Houston we have a problem)

Without an oline and a wr2 opposite diggs we have seen our peak no matter how you slice it....playoffs separate the good from the great...we are good but could be great with a draft or two of focusing on the offense 

Once again I'm not disagreeing with you on them spending resources on the offense. I literally said WR & a couple quality players for the Oline. A quality  RG & RT would be nice & move Bates back to LG where he played much better last year. The oline line would be much better then. Draft a guy to hopefully unseat Gabe at the #2 WR spot or push him to be better. I would also keep Hines and sign or draft a bigger back as a change of pace opposite Cook & Hines. I think we're on the same page as far as the offense goes. We're on the same page on defense, except for this year. I agree with the 2 prior years against KC. 

I have said this in another thread...

They keep building teams to try and conquer 1 particular team. First 2 years it was Tom Brady and the Pats. Then Brady left and was replaced with Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs. For 3 years we've been building to beat them. Now along come the Bengals. They both(McBeane) have mentioned doing this every offseason. I think they need to scrap this way of thinking and build their own team with their own identity. Make teams keep up with you not vice versa. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

That’s fair. The Bills have not publicly disclosed if one is technically higher than the other in the org. They may technically be peers, but I don’t think there’s any chance that Beane outranks McD. Also I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that Beane got this job because he was McDermott’s choice. It would make sense that Beane would feel like he is in his debt for that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.