AFC East Rumored QBs 2023

PatsFanNH

17 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I could see the jets trading for Lamar first.  Gonna cost a lot but they have a good team thanks to the 3 first round picks they had last year and all were great.  Rodgers won't get you far after a season or two if they did it.

Everything else sounds plausible if not set in stone (Allen's not going anywhere).

I've never understood this rumor.  Why would the Ravens trade Lamar in the conference?  

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't understand why Miami would want to rent Brady for a year.  They went 8-5 in games that Tua started this season.

I think we are still not 100% certain Tua will even play again. And it seems they might have no choice but to treat him with kid gloves every time he gets a concussion now. Very real possibility that if he does play, the next concussion he gets puts him out for 3-4 weeks. That is not a situation you want to be in with the most important position on the field. I think Carr could be a real possibility. A trade has to be involved but the Raiders don't have much negotiating power in the trade talks since they have already decided to move on from him.

If I am Miami, if I start the season with Tua I need a high level back up behind him like Carr or Jimmy G. 

26 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I've never understood this rumor.  Why would the Ravens trade Lamar in the conference?  

Because a bunch of high draft picks are better than a player that's doesn't want to play without a new contract.

I'd use Houston and Watson as an example but they are a clown of a franchise so that trade can only be taken semi-seriously.

It was bad news for the Jets/Mia/NE that Buffalo was humiliated like that in the Divisionals.  Instead of accomplishing their goals and maybe taking their "foot off the gas", the Bills will be on a mission again, maybe as AFC underdogs this time.  I suspect KC and Cincinnati will be co-Super Bowl favorites for next season and Buffalo will be lumped in there with the Ravens, Chargers, Jax, etc..

I think the Jets and Miami definitely could push for the AFC East title but we still have the best QB in his prime.

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't understand why Miami would want to rent Brady for a year.  They went 8-5 in games that Tua started this season.

Because Ross has a man crush on Brady & has more money than he knows what to do with .

Then given Tua's injury's this year I could see him trading him away for some future picks to get another younger QB for the future it's not out of the question .

16 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Having an actual OC is going to help you guys a ton.  Maybe a little more talent to catch the ball, and Pats will bounce back.  I think it's a legit 4 way race in the AFCE next year.  Bills should still be the favorite, but not by nearly as much as this year

Pats problem is they are by far the least talented roster in the division. They were very lucky to play Zach Wilson twice rather than Mike White or I think they would have at minimum one more loss on the year. They also dodged having to play Tua twice as well. So really, they were likely looking at 2 more losses had they had to play those QB's.  

41 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

They know Lamar better than anyone. If they believe he is a broken down QB what is the harm in sending him to a team in the conference? It might also be more important as to what pieces they can get back in return. Ravens historically draft well and can turn things around with the right picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Joe Douglas has shown a propensity to keep his draft picks and pass on deals if he feels are too draft pick costly. Based on that, I think the New York Jets will have either Jimmy Garoppolo or Baker Mayfield on their roster next season.

13 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Pats problem is they are by far the least talented roster in the division. They were very lucky to play Zach Wilson twice rather than Mike White or I think they would have at minimum one more loss on the year. They also dodged having to play Tua twice as well. So really, they were likely looking at 2 more losses had they had to play those QB's.  

OTOH, the pats have a solid OL, good running game, and a serviceable QB who may have regressed this year at least in part because of the lack of an OC.  Adding a good WR could open things up there.  Adding a WR is a lot easier than fixing a whole OL, which is what the Bills are faced with

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

OTOH, the pats have a solid OL, good running game, and a serviceable QB who may have regressed this year at least in part because of the lack of an OC.  Adding a good WR could open things up there.  Adding a WR is a lot easier than fixing a whole OL, which is what the Bills are faced with

They also lack defensive talent. OL is probably the only unit that is better than any other team in the division. And it's an okay o-line, I don't think it is near top in the league. 

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

It was bad news for the Jets/Mia/NE that Buffalo was humiliated like that in the Divisionals.  Instead of accomplishing their goals and maybe taking their "foot off the gas", the Bills will be on a mission again, maybe as AFC underdogs this time.  I suspect KC and Cincinnati will be co-Super Bowl favorites for next season and Buffalo will be lumped in there with the Ravens, Chargers, Jax, etc..

I think the Jets and Miami definitely could push for the AFC East title but we still have the best QB in his prime.

Why? The Jets get a competent QB and they make Buffalo life hell all year with that D. Miami gets Brady it’s a bandaid but short term scary.. IMO Jets be better off getting Brady because with that team and D they be SB Favorites w Brady.. Rogers or Lamar are just not that good in crunch time.

There are a large number of QB-needy teams across the the league so I expect a lot of teams will be interested in the select few top tier of QBs available this offseason. If the Jets don't get one of these, I think they're in for a rough 2023 season. They'll either have to go for one of the second tier options (Minshew, Tannehill) or rinse and repeat with Zach Wilson or Mike White, neither of which I think can get them to a division title.

12 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I have a friend of a friend who is involved with a house in Miami Brady has been building.

Pure speculation at this point as most NFL players don't live in their team city in the offseason. Josh relocates to Newport Beach. 

Also, rumor has it Gisele has a house in Miami as well so sharing the kids would be easier.

2 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Who gets Carr?

Not entirely sure. Carr has played in California or Nevada all his collegiate and professional career.

I don't think he'd be suitable for a team with harsh weather - in my view, the best options are a West Coast, Southern or a dome team.

Thinking out loud, LA Rams - offensive guru HC and Kupp, Stafford is mid 30's and out injured. Baker Mayfield isn't the answer. 

In terms of AFC East, Miami is his only real fit. McDaniel could be what he needs to resuscitate his career.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

So they are talking about these possibilities for next year:

Jets — Trade for Rogers. I love the move, yes they be tough for a couple years but Rogers is getting old and injured a lot lately.. short term it’s bad by year 3 they are meh

Dolphins — Sign Brady. Short term like a year it’s scary after that they need a QB. 

Pats — stay Pat with Jones but should be improved with BOB as OC. Short term/long term they will learn what they have in Jones one way or the other.  

Bills — Allen, now they just need to institute a real running game that doesn’t just consist of Allen. Like maybe 20 runs a game?  They are super close to a championship.. but just need a few small pieces around a top 3 QB.

This would be tremendous IMO. 

Get the Jets and the Dolphins over the hill and stupid expensive QBs.  Almost an ideal scenario.  And Mac Jones under the tutelage of Bill O Brien will backfire.   Mac Jones has a serious atitude issue as does Bill O Brien, that is a caustic combination imo.  O Brien's offensive in Houston was one time in six years the 11th scoring teams in the NFL, the other 5 year mediocre if not well below average.

35 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This would be tremendous IMO. 

Get the Jets and the Dolphins over the hill and stupid expensive QBs.  Almost an ideal scenario.  And Mac Jones under the tutelage of Bill O Brien will backfire.   Mac Jones has a serious atitude issue as does Bill O Brien, that is a caustic combination imo.  O Brien's offensive in Houston was one time in six years the 11th scoring teams in the NFL, the other 5 year mediocre if not well below average.

Jones gets a lot of heat for having an “attitude” last year. Weird he was fine his rookie year and half way threw his second year. His attitude showed up when Patricia and company in week like 11 still failed to get the plays in quickly and cost them time and time outs because of it.  Now I don’t know about Allen, but Brady would have thrown Patricia by game 5 with that issue. 

20 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

So they are talking about these possibilities for next year:

Jets — Trade for Rogers. I love the move, yes they be tough for a couple years but Rogers is getting old and injured a lot lately.. short term it’s bad by year 3 they are meh

Dolphins — Sign Brady. Short term like a year it’s scary after that they need a QB. 

Pats — stay Pat with Jones but should be improved with BOB as OC. Short term/long term they will learn what they have in Jones one way or the other.  

Bills — Allen, now they just need to institute a real running game that doesn’t just consist of Allen. Like maybe 20 runs a game?  They are super close to a championship.. but just need a few small pieces around a top 3 QB.

If that were to happen I'd be more in favor of the Bills making more drastic moves, Let Edmunds and Poyer walk, trade Diggs and Oliver, other moves?  and gain a bunch of draft picks?? Take a step back, let AFC East blow up for two years, then come back with rebuilt younger cap friendlier team.  I think when paying a QB of what Allen is getting, you're forced to do these mini rebuilds every few years so maybe this would be a good point to take one of them.

12 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Jones gets a lot of heat for having an “attitude” last year. Weird he was fine his rookie year and half way threw his second year. His attitude showed up when Patricia and company in week like 11 still failed to get the plays in quickly and cost them time and time outs because of it.  Now I don’t know about Allen, but Brady would have thrown Patricia by game 5 with that issue. 

I think Brady would just ignore Patricia and pretty much called his own plays ,way beyond the experience or expertise of  Mr Jones . O Brien is notorious with not giving younger players a lot of latitude, he will be riding on Jones's ass, you think the Brady O'Brien flare up was bad.I wonder if Jones was consulted on this move before it happened as he had Bill O Brien with him at Alabama.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Pats fans were tripping over themselves online celebrating the Bills loss.  I was kind of stunned, actually - I got that reaction from our fanbase when the Pats would lose, but that was only down the line, after the Pats had been winning SB's.  They were more over-the-top than we've been about their notable losses when they had Brady.

Short-sighted, though - I agree w/ what you're saying here.  Had we won a SB, we might have stood pat, and not made too many moves. Now, we'll be even more all in to get one.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.