This offense was doomed from the start

Steptide

I'm not on the fire McDermott train. I'm not even on the fire Dorsey train (yet), but this offense was set up to fail from the beggining. We won 14 games, so obviously this team is good, but once they got to the playoffs, this team was doomed.

They draft Shakir, who had a great game early against the steelers. Then they basically keep throwing mckenzie out there while Josh is sailing passes 5 feet over his head on the sideline, rather than keep Shakir out there to get game experience and reps. On top of that, rather than get Hodgins on the active roster, a taller receiver who probly could've made those high passes, they let him walk and re sign brown and beasley way too late in the season. Davis Imo is still a good weapon, but after you take him and Diggs out of the game, the bills are left with nothing. And frustratingly, the bills never changed this the entire season. Hey, maybe you play the guy you drafted to be here the next 4 years (Shakir) and not mckenzie who's had little impact on the offense. I haven't even mentioned cook, who was basically benched after he fumbled his first carry. OK, well bass was terrible when he first came in and they stuck with him and now he's one of the best kickers in the nfl. Cook will be good, but maybe don't bench him and give him no carries for 3 games, or however long it was. All of the fans worries and woes with the offense this season was 100% warranted. The whole "doesn't matter how we win as long as we win" is not true Imo. Sadly, what we saw on Sunday against the Bengals was inevitable. Even if we snuck past the benagals, it's likely we lose to kc. It's frustrating because I feel like the coaching staff could've changed things earlier in the season. Like say after Green Bay. Maybe they should've taken a good hard look at why the offense had these long in game droughts. Lastly, I know there's mixed opinions on how Diggs acted Sunday, but I wish he had done it earlier. Like week 8 maybe to help fix the offensive woes. I give them credit for winning 14 games, but I hate to say I believe the bills over achieved this season. Sorry to make this so long, just had to get some stuff off my chest 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 4

I actually think we could of beaten the Chiefs & Niners, but like the Bengals, the Eagles probably would've rocked us in the Super Bowl unless Josh Allen was just otherworldly.

Bills Offense needs an overhaul.

In order to compete for a Super Bowl they need 1 or 2 high quality OL talents added, along with a real WR2 (with WR1 potential/ability) on the roster allowing Davis to be WR3 with Diggs as WR1.

That puts Allen's Offensive talent on par with Cincy and KC.

Will they do that while being ok with notable potential downgrades at certain positions on the Defense?  Not sure..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

The question is, what happened to the offense from the beginning of the year? Was it figured out? After the bye it looked like a different team

We did improve in areas as the season went on. Redzone offense was terrible at the start and then improved to one of the best. Run game improved.

What seemed to happen over the year though was Allen looking for the bigger play rather than the right play. Last year under Daboll the Bills offense stalled as the season went on, but then got hot when it mattered most.

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Yes, doomed, as in they're not gonna get to the superbowl with this offense against these teams doomed 

I have zero worries about the offense. Add a WR and LG. Let’s roll.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I actually think we could of beaten the Chiefs & Niners, but like the Bengals, the Eagles probably would've rocked us in the Super Bowl unless Josh Allen was just otherworldly.

Bills Offense needs an overhaul.

In order to compete for a Super Bowl they need 1 or 2 high quality OL talents added, along with a real WR2 (with WR1 potential/ability) on the roster allowing Davis to be WR3 with Diggs as WR1.

That puts Allen's Offensive talent on par with Cincy and KC.

Will they do that while being ok with notable potential downgrades at certain positions on the Defense?  Not sure..

I don't think we would have beaten SF. Their defense against the Bills OL. Allen would be running for his life all game. The Bills defense trying to stop Deebo, CMC etc etc. Bad matchup for the Bills against the 49ers IMHO. The 49ers would do what the Bengals did and just out physical the Bills on both sides of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Both Frazier & Dorsey need to go immediately.  There's no point dicking around hoping they'll figure it out. Josh isn't getting any younger. McD should be replaced too with a dynamic offensive coach but the Pegulas value his character more than his in game decisions. As far as dumb personnel decisions go, this team has always made them. Shakir & Elam absolutely should have played more. Look how long it took McD to dump Peterman. We'll always be good enough to win 10-12 games but once the divisional round hits, it's goodbye time.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm not on the fire McDermott train. I'm not even on the fire Dorsey train (yet), but this offense was set up to fail from the beggining. We won 14 games, so obviously this team is good, but once they got to the playoffs, this team was doomed.

They draft Shakir, who had a great game early against the steelers. Then they basically keep throwing mckenzie out there while Josh is sailing passes 5 feet over his head on the sideline, rather than keep Shakir out there to get game experience and reps. On top of that, rather than get Hodgins on the active roster, a taller receiver who probly could've made those high passes, they let him walk and re sign brown and beasley way too late in the season. Davis Imo is still a good weapon, but after you take him and Diggs out of the game, the bills are left with nothing. And frustratingly, the bills never changed this the entire season. Hey, maybe you play the guy you drafted to be here the next 4 years (Shakir) and not mckenzie who's had little impact on the offense. I haven't even mentioned cook, who was basically benched after he fumbled his first carry. OK, well bass was terrible when he first came in and they stuck with him and now he's one of the best kickers in the nfl. Cook will be good, but maybe don't bench him and give him no carries for 3 games, or however long it was. All of the fans worries and woes with the offense this season was 100% warranted. The whole "doesn't matter how we win as long as we win" is not true Imo. Sadly, what we saw on Sunday against the Bengals was inevitable. Even if we snuck past the benagals, it's likely we lose to kc. It's frustrating because I feel like the coaching staff could've changed things earlier in the season. Like say after Green Bay. Maybe they should've taken a good hard look at why the offense had these long in game droughts. Lastly, I know there's mixed opinions on how Diggs acted Sunday, but I wish he had done it earlier. Like week 8 maybe to help fix the offensive woes. I give them credit for winning 14 games, but I hate to say I believe the bills over achieved this season. Sorry to make this so long, just had to get some stuff off my chest 

Unless they fix the O-line and get a legit WR2 that can actually catch the ball and pulls some of the attention off of Diggs, this team is not winning 13 games next year, especially with that schedule.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

I don't think we would have beaten SF. Their defense against the Bills OL. Allen would be running for his life all game. The Bills defense trying to stop Deebo, CMC etc etc. Bad matchup for the Bills against the 49ers IMHO. The 49ers would do what the Bengals did and just out physical the Bills on both sides of the ball. 

Their defense would've certainly given us problems, but it would've been inside and we would've had Micah Hyde back, with a game under his belt, and two weeks to prepare against Brock Purdy.   I think we'd have a chance there. 

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The question is, what happened to the offense from the beginning of the year? Was it figured out? After the bye it looked like a different team

Leave Davis in single coverage on the deep shot and Allen will throw it every time it's basically what happened.

Underneath stuff just disappeared.

And when you're throwing to a 50% catcher on 50/50 balls, you play those odds.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills need to start studying the Chiefs and definitely the Bengals on offense.  They'll gladly take the underneath stuff and certainly try to run the ball.  They'll take a shot once in a while down the field but when it's 3rd and 2...i don't see them consistently throwing 25 yard sideline passes to well covered receivers...they just try to convert the 3rd down.

I dunno, maybe Allen isn't processing the field as quickly as Burrow or Mahomes, to get off an accurate short pass...  I'm not sure what the problem is?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I agree with most of what u said except for Cook is only a situational back and he can’t carry the load . We need a true workhorse back plain and simple… 

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Bills need to start studying the Chiefs and definitely the Bengals on offense.  They'll gladly take the underneath stuff and certainly try to run the ball.  They'll take a shot once in a while down the field but when it's 3rd and 2...i don't see them consistently throwing 25 yard sideline passes to well covered receivers...they just try to convert the 3rd down.

I dunno, maybe Allen isn't processing the field as quickly as Burrow or Mahomes, to get off an accurate short pass...  I'm not sure what the problem is?  

Coaching is the difference Dorsey is horrible. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.