Bills will not make it to the playoffs in 2023?

Cygnus99

4 hours ago, Cygnus99 said:

I don't see the Bills making it to the playoffs next season. Could it be a rebuilding season ? I see 8 wins at most . Any thoughts ? 

Over reaction....Bills will win the East and automatically enter the playoffs.  I'd say a run at the #1 is a longshot but that's only based on the face value assertion that their schedule looks brutal.

This a 3 win team without Allen, Super Bowl contender with him

3 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Over reaction....Bills will win the East and automatically enter the playoffs.  I'd say a run at the #1 is a longshot but that's only based on the face value assertion that their schedule looks brutal.

If the Jets get a QB we won't have a shot at the East

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Based off of what evidence do you see only 8 wins for the Bills? I see 12-14 wins next year for them UNLESS you lose Allen then we’ll I can see 8 or fewer wins.. 

It's a tough schedule. Jets/Dolphins/Patriots will be on the rise.  Pats have a ton of cap space. Jets have been drafting really well. Dolphins on the cusp. The division is not a gimme.  Then games against NFC East. All solid teams.  There's no give me games against perennially weak teams.  

I think we will be between 8-11 wins depending on health and retaining 50% of our guys and making minor adjustments.  Getting to 12-14 wins will take some really great drafting to fill holes and the rooks taking a step up in year two. We need next level play from our investments in the DL and most likely a scheme change to play to their strengths. 

On offense, we need to progress, not regress and rebuild the trenches. Someone needs to level Allen out and balance this offense.  And we need a strong #2 WR to compliment Diggs like Higgins compliments Chase. I'll call him a #1B and he is not on this roster.

2021 we got the bounces (until 13 sec) and we stayed relatively healthy. 2022 was a storm of adversity. We need 2023 to be more like 2021.  This team in its present form can improve and win a Super Bowl or regress and be a 6 or 7 seed or just out of the playoffs.

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie

20 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Another over reaction.  In the 20 previous years pre JA, the Bills have only had one 3 win season.

Correct, so we are due for another one. Whaley misses on EJ & Sammy, but the rest of the roster was solid, Beane hit on Allen & Diggs but the rest of the roster are role players. You think this team would beat anyone without Allen under center?

Edited by uticaclub

Jesus lord almighty

This is a 12-13 win team year over year barring major injury.  Let's not forget, we lost 3 games by a COMBINED 8 points.  This team was a kneel down or 4th down redzone conversion from being 15-1.

And that's without Hyde the entire year, without White for most of the year, without Miller for the back half of the year, with an injured Allen for 4 weeks, banged up Poyer, banged up Dawkins to start the year, first year OC, Hamlin situation, etc.

Like we should be semi EXCITED about how this year went with all of the crap we dealt with.

Playoffs might not happen for us next year, wild card maybe.

You have to brutally honest & real.  Our cap situation is worse now than it ever was.  We are at 15 to 16 million over the cap limit right now.  They have 1.6 million in dead cap money to,  as it stands right now.

With to much cap money to tied up in Von, Allen, Milano, Tre, Dawkins, Oliver and Morse, & Hyde.   The result is likely that

Edmunds is gone, Motor & Poyer too.  They will not pay them they can't afford it,  and should not either.  Draft another RB, LB and S.

OL needs to be completely over hauled and draft priority for the O-Line is real,  attn has to go here first.

Von is going to be just like Tre White.  Not 100% coming back from his ACL injury.  He's is 34 and its going to be harder to rehab this time vs his last ACL injury, its to be expected.

There is a strong possibility he sits out like Tre did for 10 or even 11 games next season and then when he's back where will he be capability wise, is just speculation but he is not going to be the same player he was prior to this injury.

Tre White was and is a liability out there now, he is holding everyone on every play.  He gets caught on TV crying about it to the Ref's,  he got called for PI or D' holding in every single game since his return, two calls on him this past Sunday.  These are not bad calls by the Ref's, he did it and got called for it.  He is definitely has to work this off season to get back to where he was before his injury.

This entire team has over paid under achieving player talent problems and major coaching issues.  You are not going to beat Miami, NYJ, Eagles, Washington, Dallas, Chargers, Jags, KC and the Bengals with this team as it sits right now with out making major changes on the roster, & without a new OC and DC.  All these other teams are only getting better while our O-Line is an abomination and our D-Line couldn't sack a QB that was on on the field with crutches at this point.

Beane put us in this situation, McD is to stupid to realize that our OC is way under qualified and that DC philosophy has been figured out by other teams now.  It really was an embarrassment how McD just talks his way through his press conf yesterday.  He is truly clueless,  and he has lost a lot off respect from myself and other Bills fans too.

He is expendable IMO. 

Edited by Toyo321

I expect to win the AFC East next season, but it won't be a cakewalk.  Miami is legitimately good, and they will be a threat if they get their QB situation straightened out.  The Jets will also be a threat if they get a QB.  (Not worried about New England at this point).  

Sitting here in January of 2023, I guess I give the Bills something like a 70% chance to win the division, and maybe an 85-90% chance to make the playoffs.  This assumes that Josh Allen stays healthy all season.  This team is not a playoff team without Allen, and it doesn't really matter who the backup is.  (The quality of our backup QB matters if we're talking about a game or two -- if Allen misses any significant amount of time, we're screwed.)

That said, this team is clearly on a downward trajectory in the sense that we no longer have the luxury of having an all-world QB on a bargain bin salary.  We'll have to make some tough personnel choices, and from here on out we'll be challenged by up-and-comers with star players on rookie contracts.  The days of us having a built-in cap advantage are officially over.  We should still be competitive of course.

Edited by BillsFanSD

34 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Correct, so we are due for another one. Whaley misses on EJ & Sammy, but the rest of the roster was solid, Beane hit on Allen & Diggs but the rest of the roster are role players. You think this team would beat anyone without Allen under center?

I do believe we win games without JA...I'm in the 7-9 win range but we're obviously not going to convince each other otherwise so I agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I do believe we win games without JA...I'm in the 7-9 win range but we're obviously not going to convince each other otherwise so I agree to disagree.

Agreed, I hope your more accurate but let's hope we don't have to find out

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

They do have a tough schedule!!!!

On top of potentially losing some veterans.

Like I said after the game, I don’t believe the AFCE is guaranteed. I do see at minimum a wildcard. But some fans here act like this team is a Super Bowl championship team and these coaches are on point.

They aren’t.  We have a Super Bowl caliber QB and WR. Outside that we have some fixing and things that need changed.

Im also one of the guys that doesn’t think Dorsey or Frazier can lead their sides of the ball to a Super Bowl. They are both middle of the pack coordinators.

Well said. I completely agree. I would go one step further and ask you if think Coach McD can lead the team to the Super Bowl? I have serious doubts he can. 

One thing I have learned is thinking about the schedule for next year now and judging how hard it is is kind of pointless.  Anyone remember how much the AFC West was going to beat each other up and KC would lost a bunch of games.  What you think teams will be next year is not correct in a lot of cases.  But the Bills, if they have 17 and I will say McDermott(made playoffs with TT)  they will have little trouble making the playoffs.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I can see the case for a transition year to kind of reset the cap and re-tool...

But even in that case, this team would very likely grab a wild card spot IMO if the Jets and/or Dolphins stepped up.

I can totally see the Dolphins passing the Bills for the AFC east title. The Jets need a QB. If they get Rodgers or Carr they can give the Bills all they can handle. 

It's no lock this team makes the playoffs. However, I have to think that Allen can at least win enough games to make it there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.