McBeane's constant use of premium draft picks on role players

Process

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm to the point of allowing Edmunds, Poyer and Oliver walk and putting the resources on offense.

If this is the performance we get with them on the field, no sense of paying that much for it.

I don’t see how we can let Edmunds go unless you think Bernard is the guy.  Oliver is already resigned for another year.  We have no choice but to let Poyer go.  I don’t want to invest in a safety who’s turning 32.

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Edmunds supposedly makes throwing over the middle tougher....I'm not seeing it game days.  We seem to be easy to throw on in the middle.

He played well this year but it wasn't enough to warrant his contract.

I'm okay doing a 2021 draft where our first two picks are OL or WR.  

We had the same production on offense as the Bengals this year and they have 3 great to good WR.  They can still score and move the ball even with an OLINE in shambles.  Burrow can get the ball out quickly because he's got an open man somewhere....negating his bad offensive line.  They went to the Super Bowl last year with a terrible OL.  If you have the WR to trust where you can throw it up and they'll make the catch....you're good.

We were still in the game when Davis dropped that 35 or so yarder.  Boyd, Higgins or Chase make that catch all the time.  Davis comes up short....51% catch percentage.

The thinking there is with his height and wingspan, he can basically create a big black hole in the middle of the field that swallows up any balls thrown his direction, but like you said, I'm just not seeing where that happens on anything remotely close to a consistent basis.  

Without addressing the O-line and WR, we are doing a huge disservice to Josh.  Someone with his rare talent deserves better and if this front office and coaching staff don't understand that, they are simply ensuring Josh will never have the protection and weapons he needs to go toe-to-toe with Burrow and Mahomes in the postseason. 

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, goldenboy81 said:

8 guys invested for the dline and they can't get pressure unless they blitz

Well 2 of those investments didn't even play.  Another barely played with a bum shoulder and was outsnapped by Ankou.  I'm not sure Settle is really an investment as thats sort of the going rate for a depth DT.  

Not to say that the guys that did play couldn't have done more.  The only thing consistent about oliver is how he will get pushed around a few times a season.  Epenesa plays slow.  Basham plays small.  Rousseau isn't a quick twitch player, so he needs more beef in the middle collapsing the pocket.  

They truly looked like a unit that just ran out of gas - even with a rotation.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

I don’t see how we can let Edmunds go unless you think Bernard is the guy.  Oliver is already resigned for another year.  We have no choice but to let Poyer go.  I don’t want to invest in a safety who’s turning 32.

Edmunds is going to get top 3 money at MLB this offseason.  We don't need to tie up money for that IMO.

I don't know who the guy will be but we can't pay Edmunds that much.

2 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

I think bringing in brown, bease, lawson, phillips... this was the year of getting the band back together.  We flamed out in the playoffs.  That era needs to end.  Poyer likely walks.  I would not be surprised if edmunds did as well simply because tagging him will kill any potential for the team to make moves in free agency.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

This is a slightly-unconnected observation, but I'll put it here anyway because it's close enough:

Other teams play their rookies.  This team is absolutely allergic to letting their rookies see the field. This has been a consistent theme of McDermott's tenure -- remember Frank Gore trying to fall forward for positive yards late in games while Singletary was standing on the sidelines?  Our general attitude toward the draft should be that anybody good enough to be drafted in the first 2-3 rounds should be good enough to start and we failed as a coaching staff if they can't see the field.  It was infuriating to see players like Elam, Cook, and Shakir have their rookie seasons go to waste like this.

This is probably why James Cook looked so sad when he got drafted by the Bills, they don't play their damn rookies! This is how we end up losing solid talent like Teller and Hodgins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Edmunds is going to get top 3 money at MLB this offseason.  We don't need to tie up money for that IMO.

I don't know who the guy will be but we can't pay Edmunds that much.

If we paid Edmunds what he will demand on the open market, the amount of money we will have tied up just between him and Von on the defensive side would be mindboggling.  

• Like (+1) 2

A DL rotation like this basically proves there’s no discernible difference in the players.  It’s like Parcells said, “if you have 2, you don’t have one.”  Basically, we don’t have a clear cut starter at any of the positions that commands being on the field.   Rousseau and Miller should be getting the Lion’s share of reps as should Oliver and Jones if they are the players the homers proclaim them to be.  Yet nobody stands out enough to warrant being on the field more than another.  With all the draft and cash outlays on the DL, it should be dominant. 

The defense will be this way under McClappy and hence, he needs to be fired. He believes in an antiquated strategy that continues to be beaten in the big games.   It’s his system and it’s a failure when it matters.  Meanwhile, we have to revamp the entire offense, everytime Allen makes another coach look good and they go to another team.  Your NEED to hire an offensive guru to run the team, so you don’t have to rework the very thing that makes the team good, every damn time there’s another coach poached.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, goldenboy81 said:

8 guys invested for the dline and they can't get pressure unless they blitz

Against a replacement level OL.  It reminds me of when the Bills were win and in (2005?) against the Steeler's 3rd stringers and couldnt get it done

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Process said:

Rousseau - 65% 

Epenesa - 43%

Cook - 33%

Basham - 31%

I've said it before, but the d line philosophy is the worst thing about McDermott. Having to constantly invest into a ten man rotation. At the expense of the offense. It's killing this team.

Add in the fact that McBeane clearly suck at evaluating d line talent and we have a complete disaster on our hands. 

Even if the guys we drafted didn't suck a**, they wouldn't play more than 65% of snaps. What are we doing spending first and second round picks on guys that will never be close to full time players?

A pass catching RB in the second round?

New rule...if McDermott is going to insist on a rotation on defense, he shouldnt be allowed to draft one before round 4, I don't care how big the need is. 

What have we done to help #17?

What elite weapons have we given the kid?

Ill hang up and listen.

P.S.- get a freakin offensive minded head coach in here asap

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ClemsonBills said:

THANK YOU! The defensive line rotation simply pulls money away from other positions. No other team in the NFL has a rotation like we do. The philosophy would make sense if it was backed with championships. 

The problem was it wasn't even effective.

Joe had all day all game long.

Josh was running for his life all game long.

And didn't Cincy even have backup OL in?

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I don't believe they thought they were drafting role players.  They were trying to create the dominant front four needed to play their style of D.  It didn't work.  Time to get the offense some linemen.  I think they deserve another year.  We are a top tier team. 

Top tier team lmao.    They rely on Allen to bail them out Vs teams like the Lions and needed Kair Elam to save them from losing 1st round to Skyler Thompson 

top tier my ass 

22 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I think bringing in brown, bease, lawson, phillips... this was the year of getting the band back together.  We flamed out in the playoffs.  That era needs to end.  Poyer likely walks.  I would not be surprised if edmunds did as well simply because tagging him will kill any potential for the team to make moves in free agency.  

Getting the band back together was a desperate attempt to cover holes the front office created. I didn’t have much to say about it at the time, because fans are attached to those guys. How many Super Bowl contenders sign guys off the street just before the postseason, needing them to become major contributors. 

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Top tier team lmao.    They rely on Allen to bail them out Vs teams like the Lions and needed Kair Elam to save them from losing 1st round to Skyler Thompson 

top tier my ass 

Cherry picked examples.  They have a huge hole in the OL and they had key players on D out with injuries all year.  You dont have a 13-3 record cause you suck.  3 losses by 8 points.  They definitely did not perform well yesterday.  But to conclude they somehow suck is not correct.  I think Dorsey was a huge piece of the problem. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Cherry picked examples.  They have a huge hole in the OL and they had key players on D out with injuries all year.  You dont have a 13-3 record cause you suck.  3 losses by 8 points.  They definitely did not perform well yesterday.  But to conclude they somehow suck is not correct.  I think Dorsey was a huge piece of the problem. 

Regular season doesn’t matter, they stink 

• Dislike 2

4 hours ago, Process said:

Rousseau - 65% 

Epenesa - 43%

Cook - 33%

Basham - 31%

I've said it before, but the d line philosophy is the worst thing about McDermott. Having to constantly invest into a ten man rotation. At the expense of the offense. It's killing this team.

Add in the fact that McBeane clearly suck at evaluating d line talent and we have a complete disaster on our hands. 

Even if the guys we drafted didn't suck a**, they wouldn't play more than 65% of snaps. What are we doing spending first and second round picks on guys that will never be close to full time players?

A pass catching RB in the second round?

New rule...if McDermott is going to insist on a rotation on defense, he shouldnt be allowed to draft one before round 4, I don't care how big the need is. 

Start drafting WR'S /RB'S/OLINE,  enough with giving endless defensive picks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.