Best Ever?

US Egg

These are always fun conversations, but there's just so much to this subject.

What defines "best?" 

Number of hits?

Amount of influence?

Most money earned?

Personally, I don't think anyone comes close to the Beatles as far as ingenuity, influence and commercial success.

I think they're the best POP band of all time.  I personally enjoy all of their music more than any music by any other artists.

I also take into account that their career as a band didn't even span a decade.  And they only hit the road for a few of those years.

That's why I always like to inject the Police into this conversation.

The Police lasted five years and made an everlasting mark.  They are their own genre.  I can't think of another mainstream pop/rock style band we can say the same about.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

What defines "best?" 

Number of hits?

Amount of influence?

Most money earned?

Personally, I don't think anyone comes close to the Beatles as far as ingenuity, influence and commercial success.

I think they're the best POP band of all time.  I personally enjoy all of their music more than any music by any other artists.

I also take into account that their career as a band didn't even span a decade.  And they only hit the road for a few of those years.

The amount of legendary music -- influential, classic, legitimately great music, with beautiful lyrics and incredible pop hooks -- that the Beatles put out in a roughly 8 year career is absolutely ridiculous. It will never be matched.

The evolution the band underwent in that time is also impossible to overstate. They basically went from being a full-on boy band pop act to making some of the most nuanced, layered, artistically incredible music ever recorded, in just the span of a few years (and with the help of a few important substances). It would be something like the Backstreet Boys turning into Radiohead. Just wild.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

What defines "best?" 

Number of hits?

Amount of influence?

Most money earned?

That's why I always like to inject the Police into this conversation.

The Police lasted five years and made an everlasting mark.  They are their own genre.  I can't think of another mainstream pop/rock style band we can say the same about.

Beatles = GOAT pop band.

Stones = GOAT rock band.

Sting is such a tw*t that I can’t take the Police seriously. Roxanne did rock though, most of the rest of their stuff is OK background music to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.